• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8-ball (resized).png
WOW Continues Play (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider leckmeck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

When printing up a set of instruction cards (sourced from @INKOCHNITO, thanks!) for my Gottlieb Dimension, I noticed one of the cards was different than the others. The top area did not specify a minimum number of balls. I’m accustomed to them saying something like “MINIMUM 5 BALLS PER PLAY” but this card did not. Also, WOWs were not worth an additional ball. Instead, they “continue play.”

I know some Gottlieb AAB exports to Italy have a rebound lane in the outhole. The ball spits back into play when WOW is lit. Pinsider illawarra92 was kind enough to share photos of their Tivoli as proof of this. However, none of my Gottlieb AAB titles from this era have this feature. I have a Pop-A-Card, Mini Pool, and Dimension. None of them can be adjusted to play as described in the instruction cards below.

WOW Continues PlayWOW Continues Play

Best I can figure is Gottlieb made a handful of domestic AAB games with special engineering for municipalities that prohibited winning extra balls. Does anybody know anything more about these instruction cards, or has anybody seen these domestic titles functioning in this manner?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

First question is:
Are those S/I cards from Inkochnito exact duplicates of originals
(as far as what the text contains)
and are the S/I card ID#s correct (true) also.
We need to see if the ID#s are unique to the "continued play" feature,
as compared to "Add A Ball" feature (option) S/I cards.

Good questions for Peter. Also, I will compare some of the numbers to the cards I have in my possession and check for integrity.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Also were these games capable of being set to novelty play instead of AAB play,
and thus instead of earning an extra ball for achieving a WOW
you got say 50,000 pts instead, thus continued play,
though I guess then the S/I card should state 50,000 pts earned for scoring a WOW.

These earlier domestic AAB titles do not have novelty mode like their later counterparts (Bank Shot and beyond) did. Those games had an additional stepper (the Lightbox Advance Unit) and two jones plugs that drastically altered game operation.

1 week later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

I don't have the schematic for Dimension, but I have one for Pop-A-Card. On Pop-A-Card, there is no way to set a novelty mode, or even to change the value of wow. Wow always actautes relay F to step up the Ball Count unit and give a knock. If there is an instruction card for Pop-A-Card that says "wow continues play", it's just evasive per BorgDog's theory.
.................David Marston

I took another look at Peter’s card sets for these games. He has verified the part numbers on the “WOWs Continue Play” cards so they must exist.

Then there is this other Mini Pool card, which is an inversion of the “Continues Play” cards because it makes no mention of the value of WOWs but does specify there are (exactly) “8 Balls Per Play”. The part number on this card was also verified by Peter.

My Mini Pool did not come with these mystery cards, but it definitely has no setting to make WOWs not win a ball. The only setting is whether you start with three, five, or eight balls. That’s it.

So the hunch that these cards are simply “evasive” is the likeliest explanation for their existence. Gottlieb probably had a handful of influential customers in certain jurisdictions that asked for these cards because local inspectors were balking at some niggling matter in the written game rules.

8 BALLS PER PLAY8 BALLS PER PLAY

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider leckmeck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/%e2%80%9cwow-continues-play%e2%80%9d?tu=leckmeck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.