(Topic ID: 3355)

You have any problems with cointaker ultras?

By wesperron

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by perryd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T3spot_003.jpg
totan_retroGI.jpg
spideyspots_010.jpg
spideyspots_007.jpg
spideyspots_017.jpg
spideyspots_016.jpg
spideyspots_015.jpg
spideyspots_018.jpg

#1 12 years ago

I have installed a single purple cointaker ultra lights in PZ, CP and WH2O. The one I put in WH2O blew and went from purple to red. I put another one in and it blew completely.

In PZ it lasted for a week and then blew.

CP no problems.

Is this due to PZ and WH2O being older machines? All the other led's work fine.

Has anyone else had problems with the ultra's from cointaker?

#2 12 years ago

I haven't had any problems with mine they work great where did you put them?

#3 12 years ago

I just put 1 in the GI on each machine.

#4 12 years ago

how much do they cost?

#5 12 years ago

2.50 a bulb

#6 12 years ago

That's wierd they should work in all machines. My tz and Addams are fully converted to LEDs and 70% are ultra bright LEDs

#7 12 years ago

I have had no problems with any that I have used in TZ ,STNG, and BOP.

#8 12 years ago

No issues with mine working. They are a little loose in the spotlight sockets in my SM so I put electrical tape around the base under the wires. But they work fine. Call them, I bet they send replacements.

#9 12 years ago

Thanks for the input....maybe it was just the one's I got...I'll try again.

#10 12 years ago

I have had a few here and there go bad. But, I emailed Chris or Melissa and they send out replacements every time with no questions. The ultras can break easy when twisted into place I have learned that you can sand the solder off of them in that case if they do not twist easily. Love the lights though.

#11 12 years ago

I put electrical tape around the base under the wires

I have three that I use for my spiderman spotlights and they are always coming out. I will have to try this.

#12 12 years ago

Yea it is important to sand the solder down if they don't fit well or don't twist in easily. Like coasterguy mentioned they break easily if you twist too hard. I had to sand a good number of them down when I put them in my TOTAN.

I have had no problems with the purple ultras from Cointaker and I had about 7 to 8 of them in. Some do break but as mentioned above Cointaker is good about replacing the bad ones.

11 months later
#13 11 years ago

I was adding some today and a few didn't work but all I had to do was move the wire to the outside a bit and they were fine.
Here are a few pics, nice and bright and I didn't need the reflectors that don't really do anything with these.

spideyspots_018.jpgspideyspots_018.jpg spideyspots_015.jpgspideyspots_015.jpg spideyspots_016.jpgspideyspots_016.jpg

#14 11 years ago

A few more.
Pics and video don't really capture the look.

spideyspots_017.jpgspideyspots_017.jpg spideyspots_007.jpgspideyspots_007.jpg spideyspots_010.jpgspideyspots_010.jpg

#15 11 years ago

Love the ultras, only problem is they can be too bright in some spots. Their retros are mega cool for GI's

totan_retroGI.jpgtotan_retroGI.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Yes ultras brights are great for upper PF applications out of direct eye view. I have 2 in the upper PF on my High Speed. It gives the upper back area a nice green glow and not blinding at all from player as they are not in direct eye view. Them lights are bright, but difinitely a nice touch to your game.

#17 11 years ago

what colors are you using for those spotlights on SM?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

what colors are you using for those spotlights on SM?

Red, green, yellow and purple.

Wasn't real impressed with the led's when they first came out, I bought a couple sample packs and about half of the 555 base didn't work and the ones that did fell out and none of the 44's worked at all.

Tossed them in the trash and figured I was done with messing with them, they seemed to be unreliable and more hassle than they were worth.

I have a buddy that is into them and he came over with his mega assortment and went wild on my TZ and I ordered a bunch to fill in the ones he didn't have.

So far I have done the spots on all my Sterns with these ultras and I have a bag of the reflectors (13) now, I always thought they looked like crap and blocked the view of a lot of the shots.
After install I wrapped a 1 1/2" piece of electrical tape around them to black out the bases and hold them in place.
He had some of the retros, those look really good under the plastics.

#19 11 years ago

Hey tracelifter any trouble with the ultras falling out in those spots? I remember putting some in mine and they fell out too frequently so I had to take them out.

#20 11 years ago

I have a few installed as spotlights on Tron and they are very loose, every few games I have to
push them back in socket even with electrical tape around them. Any suggestions for resolving this issue? Tried tape, glue gun, etc, still they go on and off.

thanks
p

#21 11 years ago

Hey tracelifter any trouble with the ultras falling out in those spots? I remember putting some in mine and they fell out too frequently so I had to take them out.

Yes, Ray had one purple one and I tested it in Venom and it fell out twice.
The legs are too close to the center rib and need a little kink and to be pushed to the center of the flat part when they don't work.
It is a one shot deal, they work and don't flicker but if you pull them out you have to readjust the wires again so when you get it to light and pull it to put the reflector on when you plug it back in it doesn't want to work.
Gets frustrating.
So far no bad ones you just have to play with the wires to get them to work.

Ray tins the legs, I don't like the idea of solder shavings in the sockets so I don't do that. I have tried the tape on the base under the wires, better contact but they still fall out.
The only thing I have done that works is a dot of silicone or like I did these tape them into the base, I would have used shrink tube but I don't have any that size.
Also handle them by the edges and push then in from the edges not the face, they don't like that, I toasted one doing it.
Here is a pic of T3 with a yellow.

T3spot_003.jpgT3spot_003.jpg

#22 11 years ago

I love Ultras in the Spot Lights, but I still get very frustrated with how easily they fall out. I have to glue them in.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I love Ultras in the Spot Lights, but I still get very frustrated with how easily they fall out. I have to glue them in.

I second the glueing them in, make sure to use LED. I guess if needed just replace as the spot light is cheap enough.

#24 11 years ago

Another Bad CoinTaker Thread... These Ultra's are Alot Heavier than Any Led C.T offer's . I've never installed them in a Spot-light , but I can see why They are wanting to fall out .

Personally if Wish C.Taked would have All 555 based Led's Re-designed like the New Frosted Base's .. I'll Push this idea to him.. B_R

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=F2BD6D121C628B0485A72E5788F186A9.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=46

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

hese Ultra's are Alot Heavier than Any Led C.T offer's . I've never installed them in a Spot-light , but I can see why They are wanting to fall out .

That's a good point about the weight. They are heavier for sure, and most of the weight is on the top, so when you are dealing with a 555 it makes sense that they want to fall out.

#26 11 years ago

They are quite a bit heavier but much better light and no reflectors are blocking your sight line so you can see the whole spinner on Shrek and up the right loop on Spidey without leaning to the left to look around it.
I can see the whole spinner now on Elvis as well.
Once you play with them a bit the wire is no big deal and it would be nice if they didn't fall out but tape or shrink tube covers the base color and I would use it anyway so that is no big deal to me either.
These look so much better than a stock bulb and reflector it is worth tinkering with to me at least.
If you play with the lights out you can't even see the sockets with them blacked out, just the light.
I just ordered a dozen more of these and a bunch of retros.
Onward through the fog.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I have a few installed as spotlights on Tron and they are very loose, every few games I have to
push them back in socket even with electrical tape around them. Any suggestions for resolving this issue? Tried tape, glue gun, etc, still they go on and off.

thanks
p

Use a dab of shoe goo. Works like a charm.
Doug

#28 11 years ago

thanks, will give that a try!

p

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-have-any-problems-with-cointaker-ultras and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.