IMG_1572.JPG
Capture.PNG
20131011_013235.jpg
Backlash.jpg
i-fJpTQDf-XL.jpg
image.jpg
i-sxWZbFB-L.jpg
Stuck-mud.jpg
There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 35.
#1001 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Did anyone else use shrink all the way to the LEDs or just stop at the glands( tighteners)?? It worked really well for me with no light escaping at all!

My heat shrink is flush with the end of the fiber, and the end of the fiber touches the LED lens. There is a fair amount of light that escapes even in that small space, but I can't see it through the inserts, only inside the cabinet and on the wall behind the game.

BTW, getting the fiber and heat shrink through the small holes in the black plastic guides was a test of my patience.

#1002 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

The hardware designs are done, there are just a lot of steps between that and getting them into your hands.
The code isn't final, but they could always be shipped "Stern style" if everything else was ready.

Makes total sense. Thank you for the update!

I'd totally be fine with "Stern Style" as well, since the code can continue to be updated .

#1003 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

My heat shrink is flush with the end of the fiber, and the end of the fiber touches the LED lens. There is a fair amount of light that escapes even in that small space, but I can't see it through the inserts, only inside the cabinet and on the wall behind the game.
BTW, getting the fiber and heat shrink through the small holes in the black plastic guides was a test of my patience.

Your not lying. I had my wife do it. I was starting to sling sh$t.

#1004 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

The hardware designs are done, there are just a lot of steps between that and getting them into your hands.
The code isn't final, but they could always be shipped "Stern style" if everything else was ready.

These things take time it's more important to get it right then done quick. Thanks for your efforts can't wait to see the finished version in action!

#1005 10 years ago

Just amazing work, happy for all you Tron pro, sorry I mean premium owners.

#1006 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Your not lying. I had my wife do it. I was starting to sling sh$t.

Don't let that one get away. My wife just sat on the couch in the gameroom looking scared. I think she was afraid I was going to inflict permanent bodily damage to myself.

#1007 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Did anyone else use shrink all the way to the LEDs or just stop at the glands( tighteners)?? It worked really well for me with no light escaping at all!

I stopped at the glands (tightners) and no noticeable bleeding on the inserts by the light engines.

#1008 10 years ago

Just wanted to mention when cutting the fiber, its important to use a new blade. Dont rock the blade back and forth. Just use consistent pressure straight down. Try and make as square of a cut as possible. Also better to use a blade by itself rather than in a box cutter. Seems to be a cleaner cut. I put a couple pieces of painters tape at the top of the blade to get a better handle on it.

#1009 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

You contained the Hell out of that light bleed.
My paranoid side is a little worried about the flammability of that painters tape though. Did you try an additional length of heat shrink for the "internal" part of the fiber optic?

Forgot to mention I wrapped cable in electrical tape - from inside the light box, up through playfield and then about an inch above playfield. Generally it is covered right up until cable takes 90 degree bend and starts up the ramp. Used electrical tape mostly because I didn't have correct diameter heat shrink. That was all been covered in pic with the wrapping. Was thinking that I should open the tape on side of the light box that allows light to shoot straight down into the cabinet. This would only be one side and shouldn't enable light to blled onthe inserts, while preventing heat buildup.

At least I hope it was electrical tape and not black duct tape Thanks for the trying to keep me safe.

#1010 10 years ago

Okay, kindly pardon my asking as I am sure it is somewhere in the last 20 pages, but can somebody PM the details on approx price and how long before this happens? I am just about to spring on a cheaper, simpler alternative and it looks like I should be waiting for this project to complete. I'd really appreciate the short version if you've got a second

#1011 10 years ago

The developer kits were $400. Eli says similar pricing for the production ones. He also says the hardware design is complete, but there are still a good number of steps before he can get them into buyers' hands. Any timeframe from anyone other than Eli would be a guess.

#1012 10 years ago

Thanks Herg!

#1013 10 years ago

Spoiler alert!

Frank's earlier video ended a bit short due to playing with the glass on. I have no such issues. I just wanted to show some of the end of game stuff including the SOS and Portal effects that are in the code that I'm currently running.

#1014 10 years ago

omg.. looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G... I don't know if I've said this before but... I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE FIBER RAMP LIGHTS ON MY TRON PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be the best money ever spent.

#1015 10 years ago

From what I can gather from this thread:

Installed
1. Herg
2. Treborlicec
3. Spudgunman
4. Troz
5. Sc1f1
6. Hoby1
7. mwong168
8. ChadNC
9. jeffspinballpalace
10. pinlawyer
11. potf77

#1016 10 years ago

The latest (95% final hardware) version should be appearing on two, possibly three, machines at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show in Tacoma next week. I should be around at least Friday and Saturday to chat if anyone has questions about the ramp mod or my other pinball projects.

http://www.nwpinballshow.com

#1017 10 years ago

New update is awesome. You guys are gonna love this

#1018 10 years ago

Wow can't wait for one of these!!!

Please put me on the list

#1019 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I can see TRON owners diving into the code or UI and coming up with some really unique lightshows, so 90% code at ship wouldnt matter to me. It also wont take anything away from the truly amazing work you`ve accomplished.

#1020 10 years ago

Yeah, totally. Ship when the HW is ready. I think the SW is far enough along already that it's good enough to ship.

#1021 10 years ago

Yeah, Im sure a lot of us wouldnt care to update ourselves later on and it could help keep the production from bottle necking when orders are flying in from everybody wanting a 100% one. i mean updating it ourself could just be the cost of getting it early. I mean pinball folks aren't known for patience right? lol

#1022 10 years ago

Critical path is getting the hardware built, not the software at this point.

#1023 10 years ago

The ramp code r2f update is available now for the dev kit users. See the shared google doc for download.

Thanks Herg and Eli for the additions and for making it available for us to inject even more COOL in our Tron.

#1024 10 years ago

Just in time for the Northwest Pinball Show. If you're able, go check it out.

I had a couple friends visit my gameroom last evening, and the Tron ramp lighting stole the "show".

#1025 10 years ago

Thanks again Herg.

A perfectly integrated functional and attractive enhancement that is a must-have for Tron owners. I give it 5 stars.

Dan

#1026 10 years ago

Since I am highly intrigued by this project, is there a "changelog" posted somewhere of what is being done with the code? Or is that private?

#1027 10 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Since I am highly intrigued by this project, is there a "changelog" posted somewhere of what is being done with the code? Or is that private?

That's a good question. There is a release history along with the software releases in a shared document that is publicly accessible, but I'm not sure if Eli actually wants it made public. Does that make sense?

#1028 10 years ago

I guess I would add that the 14 dev kit owners were emailed the link to the shared documents which were used for bug fix notes and feature requests.

I'm sure nobody would care if it was stated what the current version contains, but the discussiuon section would only be meaningful to those with the kit..

Quoted from herg:

That's a good question. There is a release history along with the software releases in a shared document that is publicly accessible, but I'm not sure if Eli actually wants it made public. Does that make sense?

#1029 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That makes total sense, and if it is an editable document you are sharing I could see why you would not want to make it public. Just curious

#1030 10 years ago

Maybe Eli could post just the change notes from the doc? That'll give all of us waiting for the production kits something to read at least.

#1031 10 years ago

Honestly, you're not missing much. You'll get way more information by watching the videos in this thread.

#1032 10 years ago

Well, I compiled a changelog of sorts with Hergs help. Maybe you will find this useful, but at least it shows the amount of work Herg and Eli put into the code in the last month and the features that were added/changed.

The new timing techniques and framework helped the stability of the modes and made the portal and SOS modes possible.

Changelog 5/9 to 6/2 - current version r2f

* Replace the PULSE_ALT animation with a WAVE animation
* Add effects for each target hit during Portal
* Fix for the Gem / Super Spinners bug
* Fix for the Quorra / Gem bug
* Fix for the LCMB / Quorra bug
* Fix for the Quorra drain / fast restart bug
* Fix for the SOS early detection bug
* New effect for Portal lit, white/black wave, but of course, that can be changed
* Added an SOS mode:
Slow blue/white ramps when it's ready to start
Fast blue/black ramps during the intro
When the ball kicks out of the scoop, it progressively displays the color of the mode you are trying to complete
* 2X, extra ball, special should now work during both SOS and portal
* The blue ramps after Portal is over were a bug and should now be fixed
* Portal White base for the mode with ramp colors to match each insert collected
* Fixed the Disc MB ending early
* Fixed a bug when starting SOS with Flynn not completed caused Extra Ball ramps to light
* Used a struct to store additional lamp information
* Added a function to query lamp blink rate
* State machines for all of the game modes, which I believe are more accurate in determining if a mode is active
* Flynn mode can be restarted and is active when Find Flynn is active rather than relying on CLU inlanes
* Effects logic added

#1033 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Well, I compiled a changelog of sorts with Hergs help. Maybe you will find this useful, but at least it shows the amount of work Herg and Eli put into the code in the last month and the features that were added/changed.
The new timing techniques and framework helped the stability of the modes and made the portal and SOS modes possible.
Changelog 5/9 to 6/2 - current version r2f
* Replace the PULSE_ALT animation with a WAVE animation
* Add effects for each target hit during Portal
* Fix for the Gem / Super Spinners bug
* Fix for the Quorra / Gem bug
* Fix for the LCMB / Quorra bug
* Fix for the Quorra drain / fast restart bug
* Fix for the SOS early detection bug
* New effect for Portal lit, white/black wave, but of course, that can be changed
* Added an SOS mode:
Slow blue/white ramps when it's ready to start
Fast blue/black ramps during the intro
When the ball kicks out of the scoop, it progressively displays the color of the mode you are trying to complete
* 2X, extra ball, special should now work during both SOS and portal
* The blue ramps after Portal is over were a bug and should now be fixed
* Portal White base for the mode with ramp colors to match each insert collected
* Fixed the Disc MB ending early
* Fixed a bug when starting SOS with Flynn not completed caused Extra Ball ramps to light
* Used a struct to store additional lamp information
* Added a function to query lamp blink rate
* State machines for all of the game modes, which I believe are more accurate in determining if a mode is active
* Flynn mode can be restarted and is active when Find Flynn is active rather than relying on CLU inlanes
* Effects logic added

Very cool. It's great to see what you all have accomplished in a short amount of time with this code...and I am sure it will only get better!!!!

#1034 10 years ago

Sweet, thanks for the notes. It's just interesting to read the changes that are happening while we wait.

#1035 10 years ago

At this point there is nothing left to fix except chase down one extremely minor ZUSE bug.

All the modes work including full ladder effects for SOS and PORTAL. Herg put a ton of time on this in the past month. Great stuff that everyone will enjoy both now and when you get your kits.

#1036 10 years ago

Just updated to r2f. Time for beers and some tron.

#1037 10 years ago

At this point there is nothing left to fix except chase down one extremely minor ZUSE bug.
All the modes work including full ladder effects for SOS and PORTAL. Herg put a ton of time on this in the past month. Great stuff that everyone will enjoy both now and when you get your kits.

Well, he had a great start with all your work, Frank. You guys have helped shape the mod into greatness. My non pinhead guests comment on how cool it is.

#1038 10 years ago

Do we have an ETA on the kits yet? Recently did some work on my Tron and i am dying to get this, missed out on a dev kit due to being overseas. I hope that wont be the same for the kits?

#1039 10 years ago

Put me on the list please..

#1040 10 years ago

You're just not a nit-picky as I am. I'll agree that we're down to very minor bugs, but there are still a few to squash. Most people wouldn't even notice them.

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Well, he had a great start with all your work, Frank.

Isn't that the truth? Eli and the early testers already had it nearly finished when I started helping. All I've done is looked at things with fresh eyes and fixed a few nagging issues.

#1041 10 years ago

looks great

#1042 10 years ago

Updated my game last night and played a few games, looking forward to playing some more this weekend. Thanks to everyone who has been involved for all your hard work and constantly improving our Tron game play experience.

#1043 10 years ago

Damn this keeps looking better all the time! Can't wait to get mine...

#1044 10 years ago

Managed to get them installed on 2 of the machines at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade show yesterday, so if you're there be sure to check them out in person. Hopefully the ramps will have been drilled on the third this morning and we can get that hooked up as well.

#1045 10 years ago

is it better to drill or use a solder machine to get the holes in the ramp ?

#1046 10 years ago

I found drilling to be very easy, and it left clean holes. The ramps are softer (less brittle) than I expected. I used a soldering tip for the Cliffy ramp protectors, and after using a drill for the ramp lighting, I'd suggest drilling.

#1047 10 years ago

Drill it's very easy. Start at the bottom of the ramp and mark all holes every 6 " and where needed. Keep all holes on both sides of the ramp even horizontally so it will look clean and uniform when finished.

#1048 10 years ago

Drill with a 7/64bit. Flip the ramp over, and drill into the corner where the edge lip bends into the channel. The drill should be tilted a little off of vertical. Drilling into the corner is much more stable; if you drill from the top, the drill will wander. In some cases, you will need a second hole.

#1049 10 years ago

Sounds good, im all set. Now where is my fiberkit Eli :->

*Throwing bricks of dollar bills in Eli's direction*

#1050 10 years ago

I see the PinballNews report on the Northwest show lists a (nonexistent) TRON LE, so I'm taking that as a good sign. It was a lot of fun to see people playing and I got a lot of positive feedback. The mode detection is getting better and better, so thanks again to the testers who've been contributing fixes on that. It feels like we might actually be approaching the final stretch here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 1,709 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.