myc-scanlines (resized).PNG
hydra-hit-scanlines (resized).PNG
medusa-start-scanlines (resized).PNG
minotaur-scan (resized).PNG
cronus-addtime-scanlines (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1824 Reminder of original build plans. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Post #1829 Update that manufacturing options are still being considered. Posted by T-800 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 41.
#1 11 years ago

Hello Forum! I feel like the last 15 years of pinball has been lacking a pinball design that's not based off of a hollywood license and photo-shopped pictures of actors - what happened to original themes? I decided about a year and a half ago that I would develop my own pinball machine with my own design, layout, artwork, and rule-set. I've always loved the Greek gods and ended up going with the theme “Wrath of Olympus.” The process started by first designing in digital space by creating a visual pinball table. That development has been a great success and has yielded what I find to be a very fun table to play. During the development process I purposely designed the table so that it could one day be made as a real, physical, pinball machine. Since the launch of the digital table (which can be found here, free to download for those interested: http://www.vpforums.org/ ) I have been modeling everything in 3D CAD to prepare for building it in real life.

I’m hoping this forum will help me in providing some advice on a few development options as I pursue building this in real life.

The first of which is the main controller electronics. There are a few options at my disposal (and probably a few I don’t even know about):

P-ROC: http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p-roc
Pros – seems easy to work with, coding is supposed to be easier and more straight-forward, other code libraries available to help get started.
Cons – expensive.

Led Wiz with an IPAC and CPU
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=239
http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html
Pros – potentially less expensive, easier to set-up
Cons – not sure how everything actually integrates and works together…
Real world example of someone who built a table using these elements:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=19838&hl=gyrus&st=0

Other options?

Thanks for reading – looking forward to a fun build project.

WOOLY.jpgWOOLY.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Talk to Kevin and Arron of Skit-B who are making predator. They are using p roc and are doing amazing things with it

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Talk to Kevin and Arron of Skit-B who are making Predator. They are using p roc and are doing amazing things with it

Funny you mention that - I found out about Predator a long time ago surfing the P-ROC development forum. Skit-B are good guys, I talked to them at length during the Chicago Expo. Hoping to get a bit more information from this forum as well.

#4 11 years ago

Ramp on the left...the zigzag with hard corners... not sure how that works in virtual pin but that is asking for two things in reality:

1. Broken ramp.
2. Slow ball movement through that section.

I could see the movement being intended, but a fast shot to that ramp and the ball smacking into those hard corners? Yeah..... bleck!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ramp on the left...the zigzag with hard corners... not sure how that works in virtual pin but that is asking for two things in reality:
1. Broken ramp.
2. Slow ball movement through that section.
I could see the movement being intended, but a fast shot to that ramp and the ball smacking into those hard corners? Yeah..... bleck!

Yeah - my CAD model for the real one will most likely have smooth edges. I may prototype both options just to see how it flows, but ramps cracking is one of my biggest concerns (just picked up a new set of CTFBL 'cause my old one's are all epoxied up).

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

what happened to original themes?

Died! lol

but recently these guys showed up and seems like an original is going to happen:
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/fullthrottle.html

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Yeah - my CAD model for the real one will most likely have smooth edges. I may prototype both options just to see how it flows, but ramps cracking is one of my biggest concerns (just picked up a new set of CTFBL 'cause my old one's are all epoxied up).

The zig zag design evokes a lightning bolt kinda? Maybe you could design the exterior of the ramp to have sharp edges, but have s smooth canal for the ball?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Maybe you could design the exterior of the ramp to have sharp edges, but have s smooth canal for the ball?

Exactly what I was thinking. Hard edges on the outside, smooth curves inside, but put a lightning bolt sticker underneath that parallels the outer edges to reinforce the aesthetic.

#9 11 years ago

+1, that's a great idea.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas guys. Anyone have an opinion on the electronics??

#11 11 years ago

woah! LED-wiz: I didn't realize such a cool device existed! 32 individually controlled outputs for $44 (and linkable). If I ever tackle a similiar project, this is the first device I'm buying!

#12 11 years ago

Using proc, I wonder if you can link the vp vbs directly and not have to rewrite all the software.

5 months later
#13 11 years ago

Populated a very preliminary prototype whitewood made out of MDF to test the layout while the CNC'd playfield is being completed (can you guess what was photoshopped??). Plan on using a P-ROC to control everything.

Also started a new backglass - attached is the inked version before colors are added.

More pics to follow.
wooly_bg_inks.jpgwooly_bg_inks.jpg

#14 11 years ago

Very nice and what a project, wow!

Are you going to have an elevated shooter like the zaccaria games? Looks like the ball wouldn't be able to go up the shooter lane otherwise?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Very nice and what a project, wow!
Are you going to have an elevated shooter like the zaccaria games? Looks like the ball wouldn't be able to go up the shooter lane otherwise?

Plan is to have a slight ramp just like in the VP version that brings the ball up to plastic height and then curls around the top for your shot at three skill shots - hitting the upper little orbit loop, sending the ball around for a left flipper skill shot (similar to MM), and a very challenging one I added since the VP version called the Athena drop that is top center and diverts the ball over to a VUK that will send it straight up to the upper playfield. If you end up plunging too weak the ball will travel back down towards the shooter rod but then be diverted down to the right flipper similar to IJ (93').

#16 11 years ago

Backlit Playfield Pic...

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#17 11 years ago

Wow... Your art is amazing. The playfield and all are outstanding!
I'd sooner drop money on that than most of the new ones I've seen!
Well done!!!

#18 11 years ago

This looks like an amazing project!!! Well done.

#19 11 years ago

Holy smokes that artwork is incredible!!

#20 11 years ago

Backglass is looking great, serious improvement over your first draft, way more dynamic poses.

1 month later
#21 10 years ago

Any progress? Looks amazing, just checking to see if updated. My guess is you finished and are just way too busy playing to post I hope.

#22 10 years ago

Great artwork T-800! You certainly had the vision for this one.

Brian

#23 10 years ago

the inks look great

I can't believe that no one's commented on the also, most excellent 'wooly_proto_build.png' photo

#24 10 years ago

Hadn't seen that. Thumbs up.

#25 10 years ago

This does look awesome. Well done.

3 months later
#27 10 years ago

I agree Love the PF art. Very well done. And it is a theme I would like to own.
Will look forward to seeing progress on this project.

#29 10 years ago

Nice job...

#30 10 years ago

something special is upon us guys

#31 10 years ago

Wow - nice to see some more interest in this! I plan on a BIG video update shortly (game is flipping, DMD is showing animations and scoring, and currently has a complete 3 ball routine programmed).

#32 10 years ago

Rock on, dude!

#33 10 years ago

Just an idea here...in the bg you have Zeus with lightning coming out of his hand zigzaging all over it, so you put your money in and the game goes dark, the lightning flashes accompanied by a lightning crack and rolling thunder then the Zeus picture fades on and a thunderous voice says something like "YOU DARE TO CHALLENGE ME ZEUS KING OF THE GODS... PREPARE TO DO BATTLE" and the pf and bg lights come on. The lightning could be done with el wire or paper? Good idea or stupid idea...I can take it.

#34 10 years ago

Zeus

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The lightning could be done with el wire or paper? Good idea or stupid idea...I can take it.

It's a good idea. I just don't know how many light slots are left. Hmm..

#36 10 years ago

How many games have you seen that go from lighted attract mode to completely dark as soon as you put your money in then a few seconds later "WAM" your hit with the lightning and thunder and the god like voice of Zeus thundering his challenge. I think it would be a really great way to start a game. I know I've never seen anything like it before.

#37 10 years ago

Nice work... I wish you had done the predator art.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Nice work... I wish you had done the Predator art.

Funny you say that. I jumped onboard with it after seeing the art work in Chicago. However, after seeing it in Allentown glad I did not go threw with it. It's not the same art work I was sold on. If the art work would have been as amazing like in Chicago I would have kicked myself for dropping out. I wish them the best it's just not for me. Nothing wrong with that.

#39 10 years ago

Thanks guys. In any case, its nice to see Skit-B making a machine with real, hand drawn art as well.

#40 10 years ago

waiting on that BIG video update .....

#41 10 years ago

Awesome !

#42 10 years ago

Love the art and the concept; nicely done. Wish I could afford it. Best of luck.

-Steve

#43 10 years ago

Your artwork is amazing! Love it, and I really hope your pins make it to production state someday, the concept for each is terrific!

#44 10 years ago

Time to bring pinside up to speed... (For more details check out the forum threads here:
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=805.0
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=21874&hl=wooly)

Keep in mind this is just a prototype pinball machine, hand made in my garage. The plastics and ramps are just the first stab at them to see how they'll work out and will quickly be replaced with much higher quality versions. There are also a few mechanical features left to work out as well as many other cosmetic items (obviously I'm not going to have a piece of cardboard holding up lights in my game! But it works great for quick and dirty testing!!)

Looking forward to showing this baby off at the Chicago expo along side the other P-ROC projects. This first video shows a quick peak at the attract mode for the lamp show so far, DMD animations, test mode, volume adjustment, and start of a new game and some switch/light/DMD interactions. I realize it may not seem like much to most, but from a development perspective it's been huge for me and the great guys that are helping out (Luvthatapex and S1500). Getting mechanical, electrical, software, and a display all working together in harmony is pretty damn exciting.

Hope you enjoy it!

#action=share

#45 10 years ago

More pics of the build... photo_1_(1).JPGphoto_1_(1).JPG photo_2_(2).JPGphoto_2_(2).JPG photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG

#46 10 years ago

Final Backglass:

back_glass.jpgback_glass.jpg

#47 10 years ago

Very first flips video:

#t=0

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Final Backglass:

Awesome!

#50 10 years ago

Awesome. Exactly what I have been hoping for.

There are 2,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wrath-of-olympus-original-custom-pinball-development and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.