(Topic ID: 14867)

worst day ever

By zippydapinhead

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Breakshot_&_Space_jam.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Anyone else have a wrenching pintale to tell? Here's mine, happened a couple months back and still grates...
    A buddy let me know that an aunt of his used to own a bar, had a nasty divorce and the whole tavern got thrown in a storage unit where it sat for several years. Hard times and mounting storage fees took their toll and she wanted it all gone. Her mother went over and looked to see what was in there, and along with boxes of neon lights, barstools, tables, glassware, tap handles and misc, there were three pinball machines under tarps and a jukebox. She could only reach one of them to look under the tarp. Midieval Madness! Other two unknown. Was told I could have the lot for $1000.
    Got there with a truck and the unit was cleared out, someone else offered her 2k if he could take it all right then and there. Grail gone, heart crushed, worst day ever.

#2 12 years ago

That Suck's Bad !!!!!!!!!!!! My cousin from Corvallis told me a similar story..

#3 12 years ago

That is a sucky day.

But there was a story that was worse a couple weeks ago. HUO minty pinball off of the back of the truck and simply destroyed. I think it was a pinsiders LOTR. Made my stomach drop just to see the pics.

I missed a NIB MM 2 years ago for 4K. Had 2 or 3 of everything still in the box. Ex Williams/Bally employee estate sale. One guy got one MM before the seller knew the error of there ways and sold lot for more to single collector or some such.

Heard of someone else putting the legs inside the machine prior to shipping.

Loose mind you.... I didn't see pics but from description sounded simply brutal.

#4 12 years ago

Sorry man I've had my share of missed opportunities in deals. In the end you will find something else that will make up for it. Keep your head up man.

#5 12 years ago

My worst day ever didn't involve pins.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Yup...not even close. Call it an unlucky day or whatever, but I guarantee there will be a day that you consider much worse. It was just a pin...
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

But there was a story that was worse a couple weeks ago

Sounds familiar. Must have been some dude drunk or on crack to not secure his pin.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Shoot_Again said:But there was a story that was worse a couple weeks ago
    Sounds familiar. Must have been some dude drunk or on crack to not secure his pin.

Still, your LOTR was at least salvageable. I'm not sure I would recover so easily from missing out on a $1K MM
    How's it doing by the way Rommy?

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I'm not sure I would recover so easily from missing out on a $1K MM

It wasn't just the MM, there were two other pins, unknown titles, but most likely same era, but I'll never know (so I'm sure they were AFM and MB)

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I hear ya. My weirdest day involved pins (blew a tire in ky picking up a machine and spent the night with the seller), but while the op's story stinks he didn't lose anything. People > Pinball

#11 12 years ago

"(so I'm sure they were AFM and MB)"

Nah, they were Capcom BBB and Kingpin

#12 12 years ago

Hmmm, I missed a Space Jam for $675 this Saturday!?

#13 12 years ago

My worst day physically (with pinball) was dropping it on my foot! Foot will never be the same. The story was showcased on the community page a couple days ago if anyone wants to ready it

#14 12 years ago

"My worst day physically (with pinball) was dropping it on my foot! Foot will never be the same."

Ouch. I dropped a playfield on my hand once. Didn't really hurt much at the time, but I had a dull ache in my hand that lingered for months. I'm sure I'll end up with arthritis in that hand at some point.

I guess my worst day pinball-wise was frying a brand new Rottendog driver board. Not very dramatic, I know...

#15 12 years ago

Missed out on a craigslist warehouse deal where some guy scored a MB, AFM, and Corvette for $700. Yes seven hundred.

#16 12 years ago

I'm just going to say this about your story...

Well, when you try to literally steal something from someone for way less than it's worth (and you knew that); you run the risk of someone else stealing it for a little more.

Nothing happened to you in your story...so how can it be a bad day...for you?

What if you sold something (unknowingly) for way less than it was worth; and found out later that you were taken advantage of...that might signify a bad day.

Remember...Karma.

Robert

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

What if you sold something (unknowingly) for way less than it was worth; and found out later that you were taken advantage of...that might signify a bad day.

What about due diligence? I wouldn't sell something as large and complex as a pinball machine without doing a bit of research first.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

I missed a Space Jam for $675 this Saturday!?

That may be a good day!

#19 12 years ago

I dont have a bad day in pinball as of yet. Yes I have missed a few great deals here and there but who hasn't. Cant cry over spilt milk or missed pins, only cry over spilt beer

#20 12 years ago

A local Scared Stiff that wasn't listed, my buddy heard about it but didn't tell me till a week later.
    When I contacted the guy someone was there loading it up, sold for 900 bucks.

#21 12 years ago

HighProtein said:I missed a Space Jam for $675 this Saturday!?
    That may be a good day!

Sorry HP ,, I had to Laugh... I can send you a poster of M.J and Bugs Bunny ..

Breakshot_&_Space_jam.jpgBreakshot_&_Space_jam.jpg // Error: Image 24727 not found //

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Well, when you try to literally steal something from someone for way less than it's worth (and you knew that); you run the risk of someone else stealing it for a little more.

Ah, perspective is a b*tch! Now I feel like a d*ck as well as bummed. In my defense, she didn't care what it all was worth, just wanted it gone.

#23 12 years ago

So a little while back I purchased three MM's out of a womens storage unit for 2K.

hahaha-jk

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

So a little while back I purchased three MM's out of a womens storage unit for 2K.

Nothing like kicking a guy when he is down lol.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

hahaha-jk

Sooo not funny -well maybe a little.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-day-ever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.