10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Photo on 11-3-13 at 7.54 AM.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Was trying to adjust a switch with the power on, and as I unscrewed it, it touched one of the solenoids. It acted as though a fuse had blown, but everything sort of reset, and then it was powered and running again. Solenoids and lamps weren't working.

When you turn off the game and turn it back on again, it says "Improper Driver Board" on the display. All the fuses are good. I've reseated all the connections on the boards and inside the cabinet. DMD works fine. No sound. Start button starts a game, but then nothing happens. Basically nothing works on the playfield except the general illumination.

Lesson learned. Dear lord, what have I done?

#2 10 years ago

Upon further review, the center of U19 (listed in the manual as IC TPIC6273 D-Type FF) was melted?!? I had never gone over the boards before because everything was working...so although I suppose it could have already been like that, I doubt it. Will get a replacement and see if that helps.

Photo on 11-3-13 at 7.54 AM.jpgPhoto on 11-3-13 at 7.54 AM.jpg

#3 10 years ago

probably bigger problems than just that chip, but hopefully not.
Lesson learned. My son blew every LM339 on a TZ [CPU and opto board] by doing the same thing....
D

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

probably bigger problems than just that chip, but hopefully not.
Lesson learned. My son blew every LM339 on a TZ [CPU and opto board] by doing the same thing....
D

Ugh. Any advice for other stuff to check while I wait 4 days for a new TPIC6273?

Also, general ignorance question: why didn't a fuse blow instead of this?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Also, general ignorance question: why didn't a fuse blow instead of this?

The short version : fuses live between the input power supply and the device.. If the power supply goes too high they blow to protect the device. You basically applied a new power supply to the 'other side' of the device. There is no fuse there to blow.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

The short version : fuses live between the input power supply and the device.. If the power supply goes too high they blow to protect the device. You basically applied a new power supply to the 'other side' of the device. There is no fuse there to blow.

Shit.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

A new TPIC6273 did not fix the issue. Seems like I could have fried just about anything. Suggestions on where to start?

#8 10 years ago

May want to have it looked at by a tech. Also no guarantee he will fix it due to the nature of the damage.

9 years later
#9 9 months ago

This is a silly bump, but everyone year or so, someone sends me a direct message to ask if I ever fixed the problem.

The answer: I did...sort of. I ended up sending the board away to Clive at Coin Op Cauldron. Basically every chip on the board had been fried. He was able to fix it, but it was a lot of work, as you might expect.

PSA: Do not create a path for voltage to travel from a coil to the switch matrix. Ever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/working-with-the-power-on-breakshot-improper-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.