(Topic ID: 7874)

Pin With A Wizard Mode For $1500

By ryanleblanc

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I was just wondering, I currently have a budget of MAX $1500 to spend on a pinball machine. It must have a wizard mode, dmd preferred but not essential, and have good lastability. The deeper the rules the better, because I guess that lends a lot to the lastability of the pin. I'd like something relatively reliable, and have heard all kinds of flack about the poor reliability of DataEast/Sega/Stern. So williams/bally/midway is preferred but if there is a reliable DataEast/Sega/Stern that fit's the previous criteria feel free to mention it.

Anyway, long story short, what with a wizard mode will $1500 buy me?

Thanks in advance!

#2 12 years ago

Anyone got some advice? Usually this forum is very quick to respond. :/

#3 12 years ago

Hey,

For that kind of money, I'd look at either a Shadow or a Judge Dredd. With some doing, you should be able to track either down right at the $1,500 mark (Shadow will be harder to find for that price, in my opinion, but worth getting; I love mine).

Luke

#4 12 years ago

JM, HS2, SG, I can recommend

Whirlwind has a mini-wizard mode, can be found cheap too (pre-dmd)

RCT is a fun Stern with a wizard mode, kinda easy but fun. you 'might' be able to find one around 1500.

#5 12 years ago

Tftc.....crypt jam a great wizard mode. The data east reliability nonsense is bs....I've had fewer problems with tales than most of my wms pins.

#6 12 years ago

Starship Troopers Can usually be found for about $1400. Fun game IMHO.

#7 12 years ago

World cup soccer 94 fits the bill...

#8 12 years ago

Jurassic Park has a wizard mode.

#9 12 years ago

Stargate is said to be quite deep and is probably in your budget.

#10 12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I'm going to read up on all of them! If anyone else has a suggestion feel free to post it! I will be checking this thread again later!

#11 12 years ago

DH, WCS, JD would top the list for me in that range

#12 12 years ago

wcs for 1500? that game was fun...my bank is going to love me

#13 12 years ago

I'd go with JP and JM in that price range with a wizard mode.

#14 12 years ago

HS2, JD, JM, WW, TFTC, DM...

#15 12 years ago

HS2 does not have a wizard mode.
    I would recommend JM, JP, SST or WCS. The Glove on JM and the TRex on JP can be a maint PITA though.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

HS2 does not have a wizard mode.

Maybe I'm confusing it with HS then??? I thought it was always "Redline Mania" SC?
    Well, either way- HS2 is a fantastic machine for the price!

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Tftc.....crypt jam

+! and Frankensteins wizard mode is awesome. JM JD and DM are all cool.

#18 12 years ago

Well, there is Redline Mania but is that really a wizard mode? If so, it is extremely simple.

#19 12 years ago

+1 for WCS, easily grabbed for 1-1200 range and has a lot to do, challenging and family friendly(if that matters).

Shadow would be a great title but they seem to have gone up in price, you may be able to find one but condition would probably not be great.

#20 12 years ago

Is it 1500 us or Canadian? Can anyone from canada chime in on what prices are there? It is useless to qoute american prices unless he is going to come down across the border to pick it up.

DE's are just as reliable as williams since the system 3 hardware was a system 11 clone. Sega (whitestar hardware) and Stern (whitestar and now Sam) are more reliable. Individual games will have their trouble areas, but overall it is moot.

#21 12 years ago

All great recommendations and all great games

#22 12 years ago

I would suggest Party Zone. I found that for around 1500 or less it's a great buy. The Big Bang is great, I'm not sure if it's a wizard mode but it sure is fun trying to get it.
    I play Party Zone more than most of the other pins i've owned.
    The down side is music quality.

#23 12 years ago

Prices vary all over the map. I got my WCS94 for 1600CAN from a fellow collector. I actually traded it away for BSD. Condition, location, availibility, etc all effect price...

Prices on the west coast vs east coast vary widely. Also from Canada to US it is usually quite a bit higher up here....especially on the west coast..

I still have Shadow, so I will not divulge price until it's sold or traded hahaha...it was less that 2000 and more than 1000 haha

#24 12 years ago

It's 1500 Canadian, but I'd be willing to travel to the north-eastern united states if there was a good deal.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from ryanleblanc:

It's 1500 Canadian, but I'd be willing to travel to the north-eastern united states if there was a good deal.

How does that work exactly? I assume you have to pay a huge tax when you bring it back across the order.

#26 12 years ago

I brought my Shadow over the border, and yes I paid tax on it...was a couple hundred bucks...

#27 12 years ago

I'm taking a good long look at earthshaker because I recently played it at a convention and loved it to death (played it to death too) it just never got old, great layout, great theme, great art, great music, everything was just great. It didn't seem like it would ever get old. What do you guys think? It has no wizard mode but does a pin need a wizard mode to have lastability? Bear in mind I'm only planning on keeping my pin for 1 1/2 years because I will need to devote every dime I have towards another hobby of mine (ahem... sports cars) do you think earthshaker would last as my only pin for 1.5 years?

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from ryanleblanc:

do you think earthshaker would last as my only pin for 1.5 years?

Hahahaha......NO!
    You will succumb to the "MUST HAVE MOoOoRE!", call waaaay before reaching 2 months!
    Good luck though ryan!

#29 12 years ago

1 gets boring, you need at least 37 haha...or 3 or 4

I'm not the biggest fan of Earthshaker personally. If I were to get another system 11, I'd rather have High Speed, Pinbot, Black Knight 2000, Swords of Fury, Taxi, Whirlwind, Radical, Rollergames....

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Hahahaha......NO!
    You will succumb to the "MUST HAVE MOoOoRE!", call waaaay before reaching 2 months!
    Good luck though ryan!

Well, I would succumb to that, except I have ZERO room for any machines, and I'm already totally rearranging the basement to fit this one machine. So as much as I might want more machines, I cannot fit anymore than one in my house. Sadly...

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from ryanleblanc:

So as much as I might want more machines, I cannot fit anymore than one in my house ...

And that's precisely why you'll be in the market for a new house sometime in the next six months.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from ryanleblanc:

I cannot fit anymore than one in my house. Sadly...

I said the same thing too Ryan.
    My wife even strictly said- "You can have just ONE machine!" ...
    (Fast forward 8 months...)
    Wife:
    "This one pin is nice and all but, what else is out there???"
    Me:
    (Mentally hand wringing all the while w/maniacle laughter swirling in the background as I calmly answered... )
    "Maybe we should start cleaning out that back bedroom then, eh?"
    Wife:
    "O.K.- Sounds good!"

Annnd scene!

You will find more space for pins buddy...
    It is just a matter of time!

You'd be surprised to see what was once "really important stuff" to you, magically turn into... "DONATE IT!"
    Just sayin'...

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

And that's precisely why you'll be in the market for a new house sometime in the next six months.

^LMAO so true...

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from ryanleblanc:

Well, I would succumb to that, except I have ZERO room for any machines, and I'm already totally rearranging the basement to fit this one machine. So as much as I might want more machines, I cannot fit anymore than one in my house. Sadly...

You can always find room for more. I'm sure there a plenty of other things in your house you don't need. Right?
    Who really needs a washing machine? And if you don't have a washer then you don't need a dryer.

Thats 2 more pins right there...

#36 12 years ago

Wes, I mean this in the nicest of ways, and I really don't want to offend, but I want to discuss the machines and I'm going to quote myself below.

Again, I mean that in the nicest of ways, I just want to get the focus on the machines, not my future obsession.

#37 12 years ago

Let's put this back on topic, I wish WCS94 looked a little better cause it's my top pick so far.

Here's my list of pros/cons with all the suggestions, so we can determine which one is best for myself.

WCS94:
    Pros
    -Music is great.
    -Layout is unique and has 7 major shots with a bunch of extras like rollovers, saucers, and magnets.
    -Scoring goals is ridiculously fun.

Cons
    -Not exactly pretty to look at.
    -The announcer's voice is just a teeny tiny bit grating.
    -Wizard mode isn't the typical everything is lit pat lawlor style wizard mode.

HS2:
    Pros
    -Flow is great.
    -Shifting gears is great.
    -Best video mode ever.

Cons
    -It has only 5 major shots and the only extra is the supercharger.
    -Wizard mode is minuscule/almost-nonexistant.
    -Easy and simple.

Judge Dredd:
    Pros
    -Deep.
    -Lots of shots.

Cons
    -Ugly (to my eye at least)
    -Widebody (won't fit well in the tiny space I was able to find for it)
    -I'm not a fan of the music.

Shadow:
    Pros
    -Almost A-list.
    -Deep rules and lots of shots.
    -Cool mini playfield and ramps.

Cons
    -Ugly.
    -The music isn't great.
    -High maintenance.
    -Clunky feel.

JM:
    Pros
    -Glove and matrix is cool.
    -Midnight Madness.
    -Some good flow.

Cons
    -Terrible movie.
    -Glove breaks often.
    -I'm not a huge fan of the layout.
    -Most people are asking $2500 for this machine and I have no idea why?

Stargate:
    Pros
    -The spacecraft that comes out of the pyramid is so cool.
    -Lots of ramps and a VERY unique layout (Gottlieb had some really unique layouts in DMD era)
    -Music is good.

Cons
    -Gottlieb clunkyness.
    -"Shoot The Pyramid" (OMG that's annoying!)
    -I couldn't care less about this theme.

Jurassic Park:
    Pros
    -Deep Rules.
    -Cool Theme.
    -Good Music/Voicecalls.
    -Cool Layout.

Cons
    -Spam the mode start scoop and you can just skip through all the modes. (No need to relight the scoop)
    -I hear the T-Rex is very unreliable.
    -Never actually played it so I don't know if I'll like it.

RCT:
    Pros
    -Looks good.
    -The ramps are cool.

Cons
    -I hear it's very shallow.
    -Never actually played it.
    -Music/callouts suck.

Earth Shaker:
    Pros
    -I know I love it.
    -Great layout, variety of shots.
    -Great theme.
    -Great music.

Cons
    -No Wizard Mode/Shallow Rules
    -Lastability in question.
    -I hear parts are hard to find.

That's enough Pros and Cons for now. So any help comparing these. Which would make a good single machine? That will hold my interest for 1 1/2 years. Please, no more you'll want to buy 30 more machines comments, let's keep this about weighing the pros and cons. Thanks in advance for everyone's help, let's hear some opinions!

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from ryanleblanc:

Con:

Widebody (won't fit well in the tiny space I was able to find for it)

FYI, the widebody pins have the same size backbox as the non-widebodies. So basically, the overall footprint is the same. The only time space becomes an issue is if you have two widebody machines pushed really close together. In this case, your hands will be uncomfortably close to the person next to you when both games are being played simultaneously.

#39 12 years ago

im gonna suggest royal rumble. they can be found for around 1,000 in most markets. it has 9 modes and wizard mode is 6 ball multi ball. it also has a shaker motor.

#40 12 years ago

I would personally pick WCS94 or Shadow from that list.

WCS94 theme isn't the greatest, but I love the ramps, goalie, modes, final germany mode, layout, color scheme. It's also a "friendly" game for new players, kids, etc.

Shadow is more for the seasoned player, if you want a challenging game, Shadow has that in spades. Also a unique layout, good music, mini paddle playfield, awesome final battle mode, phurba ramp diverters, and the best backglass of all time

When it all boils down, and having owned both, I'd get the WCS94 personally...I'd buy one in a heartbeat again...

HS2 is a great game, but I found it got repetitive and easy...I got pretty good at it and almost cracked 1 billion on a 3ball standard rules game...it's a simple, fast game though, but maybe not the best for long term and only 1 pin...

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

FYI, the widebody pins have the same size backbox as the non-widebodies. So basically, the overall footprint is the same.

^Very Good To Know Thank You! Okay so wide bodies are not a problem at all for me!

Quoted from tomdotcom:

I would personally pick WCS94 or Shadow from that list.

I'll take a long hard research on both of them, and probably choose WCS94 because I know when I invite company over they'd rather play that. Plus Shadow is the clunkiest williams pin in history.
    When I first played it, it felt like a gottlieb DMD but without the super bouncy flippers. (Speaking of which, why the hell are gottlieb flippers so damn bouncy?)

I love the layout of WCS94 (John Popadiuk is my favourite designer). Maybe I'll warm up to Shadow, I don't know, I'll get to work making a final decision.

Thank You All For All Of Your Help!

#42 12 years ago

Shadow can be clunky, if you can't hit your shots But it has great flow if you can...it's a tough game..Black Rose is another very clunky game...

You'd be VERY happy with WCS94, my kid still gives me shit for selling mine..

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Shadow can be clunky, if you can't hit your shots But it has great flow if you can...

It's not so much clunky if you miss as it is bouncy, and I like bouncy, it's more clunky if you hit the shots, such as the ramps, because the way the ramps are designed the ball can enter the ramp at blistering speed but once it reaches the top of the diverter and enters the wire form, it chokes right there and looses all it's speed. That there is poor flow, but I guess thats a pretty small gripe.

#44 12 years ago

+1 for WCS. BTW, if anyone has one for $1,000 - $1,200 let me know. I keep seeing those numbers thrown around, I've not seen one for that price any time recently.

#45 12 years ago

Personally Earthshaker is my #3 pin of all time (for comparison: #1, Black Knight 2000; #2, Haunted House; #4, Twilight Zone, #5, Swords of Fury). It's a Pat Lawlor design (his second, after Banzai Run), I never had any problems myself with its lastability.

On the other hand, I had a lot of fun playing World Cup Soccer too, so go with whichever you think is more fun.

#46 12 years ago

Don't know where you'd find a Shadow for $1500? Aren't they upwards of 2 grand now?

HS2 is fun, but simple - doesn't fit your criteria. I don't care for the video mode either. Same thing as I500 pretty much. FT has the best video mode in the history of pinball by a long shot.

TFTC is pretty fun, but the Cryptkeeper can be annoying. Has a lot of features for the price (cool ramps, cool modes, 6 ball multiball, shaker motor). Wish I could get to Crypt Jam but I suck.

I haven't had my JM for very long, but let me tell you, this game flows. I have a hard time getting into it because of the crappy theme though. I actually watched the movie to understand it better and now I think I like the pin even less because of it. Also, if you have broken plastics or ramps other than the left one they are pretty much impossible to find. Not sure where you are seeing them for $2500 other than eBay, but I'd gladly sell mine for a thousand (good luck finding the right ramp it needs).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-mode-for-1500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.