_L2C6548.jpg
_L2C6534.jpg
shiny-apron.jpg
IMG_4107.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg
IMG_4105.jpg
HighSpeed Apron5.jpg
HighSpeed Apron-719.jpg
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I'm excited to announce that Rick from Planetary pinball has approved the CAD blueprints and artwork for High Speed pinball arch remakes (Part #31-1008-541-RD). The aprons are being made in 18 gauge steel, powdercoated in high gloss black, and silk screened with high quality enamel inks. The artwork was vectored in Adobe Illustrator by James Ahlschwede. Now's the time to replace your old rusted ball arch and makes a much easier alternative to sandblasting your old one, repainting, and applying decals.

If you would like to order an apron and shooter gauge the cost will be $99.95 through Paypal to [email protected]. Please be sure to include your Pinside username in addition to you "Real" name and address where you would like the apron and shooter gauge shipped.
Shipping as follows $15 US, outside US PM for shipping quote, each set only $5 more in shipping.

If you would like to send a check, please send me a message letting me know so I can set aside an apron before they sell out. Checks and money orders can be sent to:
Merf's Pins
2612 17th Ave NW
Rochester, MN 55901

shiny-apron.jpgshiny-apron.jpg
_L2C6534.jpg_L2C6534.jpg
_L2C6548.jpg_L2C6548.jpg
_L2C6484.jpg_L2C6484.jpg

Post edited by merfeldma: Price change

#2 10 years ago

Here is a sample of the completed artwork for the apron.HighSpeed Apron-719.jpgHighSpeed Apron-719.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Matt, question/suggestion - have you tried to sale these to places like Marco, Bay Area, Pinball Resource etc? If you can get these folks to sale these as well and work something out with them I would think you could sale 50 a lot quicker! Good luck with this venture and hope this is the first of many to come, like Medusa

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Matt, question/suggestion - have you tried to sale these to places like Marco, Bay Area, Pinball Resource etc? If you can get these folks to sale these as well and work something out with them I would think you could sale 50 a lot quicker! Good luck with this venture and hope this is the first of many to come, like Medusa

Rick is working on setting up sales with distributors. The idea of the first pre-order is to get a good idea of how much demand there is. Since distributors will need to make a profit we can't promise that the price won't need to be raised on there end either.
Don't worry I haven't forgotten about Medusa!!

#5 10 years ago

Best of luck, Matt!!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Rick is working on setting up sales with distributors. The idea of the first pre-order is to get a good idea of how much demand there is. Since distributors will need to make a profit we can't promise that the price won't need to be raised on there end either.
Don't worry I haven't forgotten about Medusa!!

Thanks for the post and good luck to ya!!

#7 10 years ago

If these take off and sell really well and you end up making other titles and one of those other titles is TAF, let me know. I've already redrawn the entire apron artwork in Illustrator.

#8 10 years ago

IN!

#9 10 years ago

I take one as well

#10 10 years ago

Are you doing the shooter gauge as well? I'm in for an apron either way.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Are you doing the shooter gauge as well? I'm in for an apron either way.

I would buy them as a pair.
My apron is ok-ish but the shooter gauge is all scratched.
If I change the apron, the shooter gauge will look even worse than it looks right now !

#12 10 years ago

We can do the shooter gauge, but it will add additional costs since a screening press will need to be set up and additional tooling made. I will have to work out costs to find out how much more.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

We can do the shooter gauge, but it will add additional costs since a screening press will need to be set up and additional tooling made. I will have to work out costs to find out how much more.

Obviously I cant speak for everyone but I would think the vast majority of people would want the set Matt. As lowrent stated buying a new apron would make you realize the gauge is not as nice, faded etc.

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out! Great to see people like you, Rick, CPR and so on producing all of these reproduction parts. Allows anyone to take an old machine and bring it back to like new condition (unless your that Chris guy that brings that back to better than new condition)!!!!

#14 10 years ago

I'm glad people spoke up and told us how important the shooter lanes are, and I agree they will tie together much nicer as a set. The real question now is whether everyone agrees they should be sold as a set? If we meet our goal of 50 pre-orders we will be able to offer both the apron and shooter lane for $120 USD with shipping prices as listed above. Unfortunately, even though it seems like a small piece it still requires new tooling and silk screens to be made and aligned for proper image placement.

With all that said I think everyone who orders is going to be very happy with replacing their worn out, rusted, damaged aprons with a shiny brand spanking new High Speed ball arch and shooter guide.

#15 10 years ago

Double bonus with the two pieces

#16 10 years ago

I would rather have a set.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I would rather have a set.

I agree, I think it as the way to go. Now there will be difference in powdercoat or ink colors in case there was going to be a small discrepancy between the old ink colors and the new.

We are close to finalizing artwork to both the apron and shooter guide so we can get started.

#18 10 years ago

Would this apron fit my F14 Tomcat ? Its the same design . Are all older system 11 machines the same size apron ?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Would this apron fit my f14 tomcat ? Its the same design . Are all older system 11 machines the same size apron ?

Surprisingly no, while they do appear similar there are differences in many of the aprons of that era, from the obvious such as art to something as subtle as the arc of the curve in the center. I give props to merfeldma for keeping it as true to original as possible on these reproductions - others might have put out a 'one-size-fits-all' which isn't right.

Having a couple of HS ready for restoration, having new aprons and shooter gauges to go with the new reproduction playfields, plastics, backglasses, and all the other available parts is going to make them just that much nicer. Who wants to go through all that work just to put a 'decent' apron and shooter back on? Sure you could paint and decal the old ones but having the screened art just seems more 'correct' - and for me, one less thing I have to do.

Now, if he would only get to the other titles I need...

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

Sure you could paint and decal the old ones but having the screened art just seems more 'correct' - and for me, one less thing I have to do.
Now, if he would only get to the other titles I need...

Not to mention the cost of a apron decal is $40, then you need to strip it, paint or powder coat, and apply the decal w/o bubbles. After seeing tedious the process of restoring an old apron is and the results are decent, but no way close to original I thought there had to be a better way. Good thing I have access to all the equipment to actually make them

#22 10 years ago

Things are coming along well with the aprons and shooter guides. Finalized the artwork and have the CAD blueprints finished.

HighSpeed Apron5.jpgHighSpeed Apron5.jpg
#23 10 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

Surprisingly no, while they do appear similar there are differences in many of the aprons of that era, from the obvious such as art to something as subtle as the arc of the curve in the center. .

Would love to find one for F-14...

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Would love to find one for F-14...

If F-14 uses the general System 11 that should be next in line.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

If F-14 uses the general System 11 that should be next in line.

Excellent

2 weeks later
#26 10 years ago

Update?

#27 10 years ago

In the process of getting the pantone inks. Once the inks arrive we can get started on production.

#28 9 years ago

Merf,
are you going to try and screen the shooter gage and the apron at the same time?

I'm not sure that's going to work so well...

I think it will prove difficult to squeegee off of the apron and then back onto the shooter gage. Might be easier to make two small screens for the shooter.

Bob

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Merf,
are you going to try and screen the shooter gage and the apron at the same time?
I'm not sure that's going to work so well...
I think it will prove difficult to squeegee off of the apron and then back onto the shooter gage. Might be easier to make two small screens for the shooter.
Bob

Bob- good question, no we were never planning on screening both parts at the same time for the very reasons you are talking about. We have received our Pantone inks from our supplier and are finishing up the last bits of tooling so we can begin manufacturing the parts. We are planning on a lower end number for our first project to see how well they sell. If anyone wants to be added to the pre-order list now would be the time.

#30 9 years ago

Merf,
I am interested in the project, unfortunately what i need are system 7 aprons (pharaoh, BK,Solar Fire), and I think a Funhouse would go over well too. I can't seem to find a good FH apron.

Is the High Speed apron metal the same as system 7? If so, i would take a couple without screening.

BTW - did you make a de-boss tool for the area around the instruction cards?

Bob

#31 9 years ago

Merf,
I am interested in the project, unfortunately what i need are system 7 aprons (pharaoh, BK,Solar Fire), and I think a Funhouse would go over well too. I can't seem to find a good FH apron.
Is the High Speed apron metal the same as system 7? If so, i would take a couple without screening.
BTW - did you make a de-boss tool for the area around the instruction cards?
Bob

Bob, unfortunately just about every ball arch is different in one way or another starting in the late 80s. High Speed is very close to general System 11 but with different screened artwork and changes to the apron itself. Funhouse is on a list of games we would like to have done this year. There is no plan on selling blank aprons, but we are making aprons for the great guys at Pingraffix who will be doing custom graphics.
Our business is making metal parts of all sorts so there are no shortcuts being taken. All new tooling, such as the de-boss tooling is being made right now.

1 month later
#32 9 years ago

matt,
since you plan on screening the pieces separately, does this mean that there is the possibility of being able to purchase just the shooter lane piece for a specific machine? (once the screens have been made for that machine)

and not to derail your HS thread, but will the costs for those aprons where there were stickers applied (instead of the main apron being silkscreened) be lower or include the necessary stickers? (like cftbl)

2 weeks later
#33 9 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

matt,
since you plan on screening the pieces separately, does this mean that there is the possibility of being able to purchase just the shooter lane piece for a specific machine? (once the screens have been made for that machine)
and not to derail your HS thread, but will the costs for those aprons where there were stickers applied (instead of the main apron being silkscreened) be lower or include the necessary stickers? (like cftbl)

That's a possibility. Right now I have an equal number of aprons and shooter gauges. The plan for machines with stickers on the shooter gauge would be to supply the apron complete with sticker so the user doesn't have to worry about it.

#34 9 years ago

Sneak peak of the finished aprons for Pinsiders. I'm still waiting to get final approval from Rick at Planetary Pinball, but couldn't resist sharing the pictures. The powder coat and silkscreening turned out great.

IMG_4106.jpgIMG_4106.jpg IMG_4107.jpgIMG_4107.jpg IMG_4105.jpgIMG_4105.jpg
#35 9 years ago

Beautiful. Anything done to underside?

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Beautiful. Anything done to underside?

All surfaces were powder coated in gloss black before silk screening.

#37 9 years ago

That's good to know cuz you know how rust "creeps". Thanks

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's good to know cuz you know how rust "creeps". Thanks

The powder coat should resist ball marks much better than the standard paint that Williams used as well.

#39 9 years ago

I don't own HS but that apron/shooter gauge is beautiful. It's nice to see stuff like this get reproduced.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

The powder coat should resist ball marks much better than the standard paint that Williams used as well.

That's for sure but that's really not what you have to worry about. What you have to worry about are the powder coated edges of the metal. When I had the upper A-arms and lower control arms on my Mustang coated I rounded over all the sharp edges of the metal so the coating had more of a surface to stick to instead of the sharp 90 degree edge. The coating on that edge is the weak spot and easy to chip because it's so thin.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

I'm still waiting to get final approval from Rick at Planetary Pinball

Aren't we all, Matt. Aren't we all.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

When I had the upper A-arms and lower control arms on my Mustang coated I rounded over all the sharp edges of the metal so the coating had more of a surface to stick to instead of the sharp 90 degree edge.

I love attention to detail!

#43 9 years ago

Very nice, looks great.

Let me know when the FH is ready.

#44 9 years ago

Let me know when the FH is ready.

Same here

2 weeks later
#45 9 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

I'm still waiting to get final approval from Rick at Planetary Pinball

Anything from Rick?

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Anything from Rick?

I've got the approval, just waiting on the Williams Hologram stickers to start selling.

#48 9 years ago

That's a looker. Now I'm hoping for a Taxi version...

Steve

1 week later
#49 9 years ago

Update, the Williams hologram stickers have arrived from PPS and we are ready to begin shipping out aprons. Pricing and shipping are listed above.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

That's a looker. Now I'm hoping for a Taxi version...
Steve

We are always in more need to artists to get more games started. Anyone is welcome to PM for interest in becoming a Merf's Pins artist and we can talk reimbursement details.

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-ball-archapron-remakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.