(Topic ID: 659)

Williams F-14 missing sounds - System 11A

By JohnO

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

I recently picked up a F-14 and upon doing the sound check realized that 3 of the sounds just don't play. It cycles through the sounds but the Jet sounds just aren't there (01-00, 01-01 and 00-05). The rest of them work fine and the speech works fine. The PIA6821 (U9) on the CPU board does pulse for the missing sounds. The connections between the CPU and Sound board look fine. It has a D-11581 soundboard which looks to be in great shape.

When SW1 on the CPU board is pressed no sound is heard (I think) because if the Eproms check out it will play the 01-00 sound which is one of the Jet sounds which isn't there. Can someone please let me know if this is correct?

When I turn-on it makes 1 tone which according to the manual means that the sound system is OK.

What Ive done so far
* Checked the PIA6821 (U9) - it pulses for the sounds as expected
* Installed new sound/speech Roms
* Checked the gray and gray/green transformer secondary wires for 19.4 volts AC. ~ they were at 10.2 VAC
* Check the CPU board filter capacitor C26 for -12 volts DC.~ it was at -14 VDC
* Check the CPU board filter capacitor C26 for AC ripple (over .75 volts AC). ~ AC Ripple is so minimal I can barely pick it up. Its not over .75VAC
* Tested the volume control ~ it checked out OK

My next step was to replace the C26 capacitor. I didn't want to shell out the cash for a replacement transformer quite yet. For the price of the transformer I may live with the missing sounds for a while.

Im not confident replacing the capacitor will fix anything, so ill be at a loss.

Any suggestions?

#2 14 years ago

I'm interested in hearing some tips on what this might be.

#4 14 years ago

LOL I followed that link and its MY exact same post for the exact same problem posted on another board posted by ME. So thanks but it sheds no more light on the problem.

#5 14 years ago

:$

I don't think its a capacitor becouse the soundcard is working and just missing some sounds.. looks more like an eprom or its socket or a jumper..

#6 14 years ago

I thought originally it was a ROM also.Roms pulled and cleaned = Same, New ROMS=same.

Hard to troubleshoot from the net. The socket and jumper idea - Hmmmm could be on to something here......

Pull the board and resolder all of the pins for the sound socket ROMS. If you have a good soldering iron 600 deg to 675 deg is a good setting to solder these boards.I prefer 650. Just be careful not to burn the board.

2 years later
#7 11 years ago

I know this thread was 2 years ago, but I am having the same exact issue, though I havent replaced the sound roms yet.

What ended up being the issue with yours? (If you are still around)

#8 11 years ago

Had this issue with 2 Pinbots,another system 11A game.The first Pinbot had a bad 55564 CVSD which is harder to replace because it is soldered directly to the board.The second game had a bad 6802 microprocessor,easy to replace because it is socketed.Marco has both these IC's

5 years later
#9 6 years ago

This is my exact problem with my F14. I know this is a really old thread, but does anyone know what the issue could be, or was???

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-f-14-missing-sounds-system-11a and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.