You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00727.jpg
DSC01217.jpg
TOTAN.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I stole this topic from a fellow pinsider but thought it was a good question for a future purchase..

Definitely on my WTB list for next year! Just curious on what previous owners had to say... Also not to start a war but a ball park in price? Yes, I know Pinpedia is out there, but we know how accurate that is!

#2 12 years ago

Shoot the flashing symbols in every mode, hit the bash toy, rinse and repeat. It's a shame because if the game had been more interesting I would have kept it forever because the art is amazing.

#3 12 years ago

For Money !

#4 12 years ago

I bought my Fist TOTAN from a SEGA arcade in 1998. I also run a coin-op route.I payed 1,795.00.I kept it in my house play the hell out of it.Then I would put It back on location.Over time it started to F*%$# up. I suck at fixing pinball or any other game even if I am in the Amusement game business.I owed some money on a juke-box so I sold my TOTAN I thought I had played it enough& it was Broken. I also bought in1998 my CV. TOM. I payed less than 2,000 for each. Sold both of them as well and cheap.I am now trying to build my collection back up again.I first came across TOM in2007 bought it back 3700.00 + brass kit @ 300.00. I had a chance to buy a CV 4200.00 but it was not cherry for 4200.00.On Craigs List I saw an TOTAN listed for 3800.00 I called the guy up and asked him if the inserts had ghosting (I had to explain to him what I meant insert ghosting).He said there was no damage . I got in my truck & trailer and drove 200 miles I left at night .The machine did have some minor ghosting. I told him 3400.00 and we loaded the machine up i got home at 3:00am.The machine is working 100% now but it was all screwed up.I spent hours and hours trying to find a short.Anyway. It is an excellent machine to own If you have room for multiple pinball machine or even if it is going to be your only one Buy It.You may run into some ghosting inserts however.But It is fun as hell to play and the Machine has a cool factor about it. VerySuave.The machine talks to you in a sexy female voice at times.The art work is great.Every pinball get old after sometime but I will never sell it again. 4,200.00 is the max I would pay.But if you are loaded then Call Treasure Cove and see about a High End machine.I think people sell cause they only have room for a few machines. I own 12 and I am out of room.And I want more but TOTaN will not be going any where.

#5 12 years ago

Most people don't like the easy to get to and finish Wizard Mode. To make matters worse, you can actually wish away the modes when you light and put the ball in the Bazaar hole.

If it had a different rule set, I believe that it would double in price.

I love the shots. I love the looks. I love the DMD animations. Spinning lamp, Genie, nice ramps (technically it is 1 ramp that has a diverter ), real skill shot, and ball cages make it unlike other pins. So it really enhances a collection as it is not a copycat pin.

Beating a machine is second to beating a high score to me. It really is a playable piece of art.

Got it for 2700- Had it restored by Jim McCune-

TOTAN.JPGTOTAN.JPG

#6 12 years ago

I was lucky and got mine for $2600 a while back from a lady that sold her house and needed the pin out quickly. Cab was faded which didn't bother me at all that cab actually looks pretty cool even when faded IMO. What was important to me was the playfield was very nice and ramps sound with no cracks. Need a bit of board work (not a lot) along with some cash and effort to get it looking and playing great. It was worth it though such a beautiful pin! Really seems like every one selling them now is looking for top dollar though.

I loved it then and still do now only reason I traded it was because SM was and still is my favorite and the way it went down it is like the SM found me. I wasn't even actively looking to trade. I couldn't pass it up.

#7 12 years ago

Its a nice game, I sold mine just so that I could give another game a try. I don't miss it but wouldn't turn my nose up at another. If I had room for a large collection I would have one but in a small collection like mine I prefer other games. It gets good marks from me but isn't in my personal top 10.

#8 12 years ago

I hated the polished Popadiuk trademark announcers voice and the cleverness of the game, also it didn't have much depth and became repetative quite quickly. Stunning to look at of course, and this is an important factor for me, but the voice was what I hated most... a good example of technological advances making things worse... the voice of Xenon/Farfalla is way way better IMO!!

#9 12 years ago

Sold my TOTAN when Yamaha released their DTX950drum kit - I HAD to have that kit and TOTAN had been beaten many times over by that time.

Still own the kit and a mate has my TOTAN so I can still play it every now and then.

WIN , WIN in my case.

#10 12 years ago

I've heard it's all about hitting the lamp for points, too unbalanced. I have no desire to own it.

#11 12 years ago

I got my TOTAN 2 months ago after looking for it for a year. All i know is it is way harder to find than TOM,SS,TZ etc. Those have 5-6 on e-bay all the time. TOTAN has had 2 in the last 6 months and 1 sold for $5,200. That tells me people that own the game love it and do'nt sell it. If it is too easy adjust it. Everyone that plays at my house wants it. Every owner i contacted before i got lucky told me no way they would ever sell the game. That is how i feel exactly after 150 games played.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've heard it's all about hitting the lamp for points, too unbalanced. I have no desire to own it

Maybe, but this is a risky shot.

My TOTAN will not go anywhere.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

ball park in price

First off. Good luck on finding a TOTAN. I have owned one for 4 years and it isn't going anywhere.
I would expect to have to pay somewhere in the range of $3,600-$4,500 for one in good shape.

You should be able to find one in your location. Not too may in Texas.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from kaston1573:

I would expect to have to pay somewhere in the range of $3,600-$4,500 for one in good shape.

Thanks for the tip. Already saving up.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

. TOTAN has had 2 in the last 6 months

I bought TOTAN off Ebay within the last 6 months but Im the other one because I sure didnt pay $5,200. Its true they do not come up for sale often but I sure am glad I went for it. I find it mesmorizing, classic, beautiful, gorgeous, sexy....Oh yeah, its a pinball machine too.

10 months later
#16 11 years ago

First off, forgive me for dragging up a few older threads, but I just joined yesterday and it looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

I sold my TOTAN because it was beautiful but soulless and redundant. I found myself not playing it anymore after about one month (and it was my only pin at the time). I bought it in Dec 2011 as a 39th birthday present for myself. By Feb 2012, I sold it for $1300 more than I paid for it and bought a Congo. I don't miss playing it, but I do miss looking at it.

DSC01217.jpgDSC01217.jpg DSC00727.jpgDSC00727.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-you-selltrade-your-totan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.