(Topic ID: 69784)

Who needs a $9000 NIB when you can .....

By rotordave

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pool Sharks.JPG
Pool Sharks (2).JPG
Pool Sharks (1).JPG
#1 10 years ago

$9000 red WOZ? $8000 STLE?

Well, they are about $13,000 New Zealand dollars when they arrive here.

So bugger that!

Honestly, I got a bigger buzz today when this machine arrived from England...

As some of you know, I'm collecting all the System 11 machines, and there are a few that I can't get here in NZ.

So this is the first one I have imported by itself .... the seller wrapped it very nicely in cardboard and the freight company put it on a pallet and "top stowed" it in an LCL container. 8 weeks later, here she is.

Unwrap it ... change the UK plug to a NZ plug .... turn it on, and get the high score first game

All this enjoyment for around 1/6th the price of what a new STLE or Red WOZ Slipper LE would cost me.

What a winner!!

rd

Pool Sharks.JPGPool Sharks.JPG

Pool Sharks (1).JPGPool Sharks (1).JPG

Pool Sharks (2).JPGPool Sharks (2).JPG

#2 10 years ago

I was going to collect all system 11's when I first got into pinball, but had no patience for it lol.

Good luck! That will be a great lineup!

#3 10 years ago

I'm really excited about hopefully picking up a Roadshow soon.

#4 10 years ago

I'm with you. I have zero interest in paying that much money for machines that seemingly lack quality control and ship with unfinished code that has SERIOUS issues.

I can't think of a single other hobby where people would pay this much money for such sub-par products.

#5 10 years ago

You are pretty much my hero...

#6 10 years ago

You have an incredible collection! Well done dude, you are awesome! Curious how long it would take you to play each one of your machines lol. Assuming you spent 10-20 minutes on each game I think that's close to 24hrs not including the time spent moving between each game. That is epic!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You are pretty much my hero...

* blush *

rd.

#8 10 years ago

Nice RD. cant wait to play all your pins in a couple of weeks

#9 10 years ago

Very nice! Never played that game, but I bet it's fun. That's a cool idea for a collection...

System 11s are like pizza or sex - even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

#10 10 years ago

Nice looking line up !

LTG : )

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Very nice! Never played that game, but I bet it's fun. That's a cool idea for a collection...
System 11s are like pizza or sex - even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

Yeah man. I can't think of one Sys11 that sucks.

They all have their own little charm.

rd.

#12 10 years ago

nice line up, why don't I see Atlantis in there? that's the best one of the group.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So bugger that!
As some of you know, I'm collecting all the System 11 machines, and there are a few that I can't get here in NZ.
So this is the first one I have imported by itself .... the seller wrapped it very nicely in cardboard and the freight company put it on a pallet and "top stowed" it in an LCL container. 8 weeks later, here she is.
Unwrap it ... change the UK plug to a NZ plug .... turn it on, and get the high score first game
All this enjoyment for around 1/6th the price of what a new STLE or Red WOZ Slipper LE would cost me. KB

Winner winner chicken dinner
Sweet game room man!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nice line up, why don't I see Atlantis in there? that's the best one of the group.

Because it isn't a System11

Great looking game though! I've never seen one in the flesh.

Send me one!

rd

#15 10 years ago

There is much fun to be had with many older games. This looks like a great line-up too! Not sure if I'd prefer this or a collection of classic Stern games, but I'd rather play either of those than most recent games. Enjoy!!

#16 10 years ago

Very cool collection!

#17 10 years ago

nice.

and i see a gilligan in your lineup there. fantastic. i loved my gilligan...was sad to see it go.

#18 10 years ago

You have the right idea, sir! There are some pretty awesome games in the Sys 11 collection.

I agree, I would not even think about spending close to $9k for one machine.

#19 10 years ago

congrats on the new game rd. pool sharks is a fantastic system 11. I would love to have one. they don't come up for sale very often, at least I haven't seen any.

#20 10 years ago

Sweet!

Come on now, give us a proper tour of your gameroom/lineup.

Cheers

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So bugger that!
All this enjoyment for around 1/6th the price of what a new STLE or Red WOZ Slipper LE would cost me.
What a winner!!
rd
Is there 30 sys 11 machines?

Pool Sharks (1).JPG 408 KB

Pool Sharks (2).JPG 410 KB

Pool Sharks.JPG 418 KB

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Because it isn't a System11
Great looking game though! I've never seen one in the flesh.
Send me one!
rd

actually it's half System 11 and half Bally. Kind of a frankenstein if you will.

#23 10 years ago

I've been wanting to say this for awhile....Great collection! And you don't come across as a pompous ass for having it either! ( See other threads for details! )

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

I've been wanting to say this for awhile....Great collection! And you don't come across as a pompous ass for having it either! ( See other threads for details! )

I try to lay off the pompas ass bit. Plenty of them on Pinside already haha!

What's the point in being a jerk? Life is too short for that shit.

Treat everyone the way you want to be treated. That's my motto.

Hopefully I get it right most of the time.

rd.

#25 10 years ago

Nice collection!

There was a pool sharks near my work on location for a bit, but it was broken often when I stopped by, and I did not stop by frequently. The games all had some critical issues or were broken pretty often, sadly.

Bottom line, I don't know anything about this game other than I played it a few times, and the mousin' around and the rollergames got my money most of the time.

Let us know how it compares to the rest of the System 11's, you will be an authority on them at this rate, if you are not already!

And I agree that the buyers who can't fathom spending less than $6K on a game or that somehow think a game from prior to the current LE era can't be fun are an unfortunate lot. Hopefully they are few and far between (or we will have a glut of pristine HOU games eventually when these collectors move on).

#26 10 years ago

Things like this motivate me to work harder and get more pins!!!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Nice collection!
There was a Pool Sharks near my work on location for a bit, but it was broken often when I stopped by, and I did not stop by frequently. The games all had some critical issues or were broken pretty often, sadly.
Bottom line, I don't know anything about this game other than I played it a few times, and the Mousin' Around and the Rollergames got my money most of the time.
Let us know how it compares to the rest of the System 11's, you will be an authority on them at this rate, if you are not already!

Had a few games (I've been tuning some of my pins all day for a big pin meet at my place in a few weeks ....)

Cool game!

It was in the main comp at IFPA10 in Germany this year, that was the first time I had ever seen one (let alone played one..)

The machine is in very tidy original condition. A little fading on the cab, but thats the norm with a 25 year old machine. PF is very tidy indeed. I will give it a tune up tomorrow and I might use it in the comp in a few weeks!

rd

#28 10 years ago

PinballWhore said: Is there 30 sys 11 machines?

Yep! I have 23 of them so far. Still 7 to go ...

The ones with the asterisk are the ones I am missing.

Bad Cats *
Banzai Run
Big Guns
Black Knight 2000
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball
Cyclone
Diner
Dr Dude
Earthshaker
Elvira ATPM *
F-14 Tomcat
Fire!
Game Show *
Grand Lizard *
High Speed
Jokerz!
Millionaire *
Mousin' Around!
Pin*Bot *
Police Force
Pool Sharks
Radical!
Riverboat Gambler
Road Kings *
Rollergames
Space Station
Swords of Fury
Taxi
Transporter
Whirlwind

rd

#29 10 years ago

Out of all the systems, I can say that system 11's have a higher percentage of pins that are really fun to play then any other system (system 9 excluded). I loved playing Pool Sharks at the bowling alley in my youth. Nice pickup.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Your right I've met Dave twice and he's a down to earth nice guy with an awesome collection and if you go to the New Zealand meet next year you get to play them

#31 10 years ago

Again-nice collection,couldn't agree more.People spending that much money on machines that aren't even finished yet must have more dollars than sense.I to get just as excited over my "new" 25 year old machines.I live in a small town so the amount of machines I was exposed to was limited,so I still find myself discovering "new" games all the time.Of the 30 games on your list I have only seen 10 and own 3,so lots more "new" games to come.Here in oz I am paying around 3k a game and would rather have 3 "new" complete and tested games than 1 new game.Anyway I am collecting Williams/bally machines so don't have to worry about to many new models.I am using you as my role-model,i have just turned 40 and intend to buy 4 machines a year,so by the time i'm 60 I to will have over 90 machines but by then you will probably have hundreds.Anyway,keep on playing,regards sharpy.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Your right I've met Dave twice and he's a down to earth nice guy with an awesome collection and if you go to the New Zealand meet next year you get to play them

I wish I could!

#33 10 years ago

Incredible collection! So what's your favorite?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from king-pin:

Anyway I am collecting Williams/bally machines so don't have to worry about to many new models.I am using you as my role-model,i have just turned 40 and intend to buy 4 machines a year,so by the time i'm 60 I to will have over 90 machines but by then you will probably have hundreds.

No, shouldn't think so. I have pretty much all the ones I want except for the remaining Sys11 machines I need.

Will cap it off at 100. Room won't fit any more.

rd.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

Incredible collection! So what's your favorite?

Depends what week it is.

I have two 70s EMs here on loan, I'm enjoying the challenge of playing those at the moment.

I was playing Radical last night ... That's a cool game.

rd.

#36 10 years ago

You are missing one of the best in Grand Lizard!! Love that game. I always assumed Atlantis was Sys 11 as well being from 1989. Learn something everyday

#37 10 years ago

You shouldn't have a hard time finding those last 7 from the states.
I have seen each of the machines you need listed multiple times on California craigslist over the last year or so.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

You shouldn't have a hard time finding those last 7 from the states.
I have seen each of the machines you need listed multiple times on California craigslist over the last year or so.

Yes, plenty of Sys11s come up in the States. Some people just don't want to ship them though, fair enough... It is a hassle.

In an ideal world someone would have all of them and I could bang em in a container. Easy!

rd.

#39 10 years ago

A worthy collection. It's the best pinball platform around in my opinion.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

You are missing one of the best in Grand Lizard!! Love that game. I always assumed Atlantis was Sys 11 as well being from 1989. Learn something everyday

It kind of is. Atantis is unique for the fact that Williams already bought bally by this time. They were using up old inventory while also introducing the system 11 boardset. So Technically the processor is 6803 board, but others are system 11 and uses WPC type flipper mechs and what not.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It kind of is. Atantis is unique for the fact that Williams already bought bally by this time. They were using up old inventory while also introducing the system 11 boardset. So Technically the processor is 6803 board, but others are system 11 and uses WPC type flipper mechs and what not.

Yeah it's a weird mix of technologies. Maybe they had a whole lot of Bally CPUs they wanted to use up?

*edit* ohhh you said that

rd.

#42 10 years ago

Congrats Dave for this nice addition... could not agree more with your comments on prices. My whole 7-pin collection costed me less than a single $9k pin (which would cost around 9000 euros here).

I wish I had more space. Just saw a Zaccaria Robot listed at 490€ nearby: if you can't afford to bash the 2 trolls on MM, try this one: 5 pop-up trolls (eh, no, robots ) for 1/15 of the price. Also saw a DrWho... so many good pins are still affordable. Who says this is an expensive hobby?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Congrats Dave for this nice addition... could not agree more with your comments on prices. My whole 7-pin collection costed me less than a single $9k pin (which would cost around 9000 euros here).
I wish I had more space. Just saw a Zaccaria Robot listed at 490€ nearby: if you can't afford to bash the 2 trolls on MM, try this one: 5 pop-up trolls (eh, no, robots ) for 1/15 of the price. Also saw a DrWho... so many good pins are still affordable. Who says this is an expensive hobby?

Especially in Europe. The System 11 and "b grade" Bally Williams are so cheap there.

My friend who lives in France just bought an average Future Spa for E300 ... Then found a very nice one for E500 a few weeks later!!

I want a Future Spa!

rd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-9000-nib-when-you-can and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.