• Latest reply 9 years ago by hootowls
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

whirlwind fan light mod side.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm trying to find the posts about 'how to' on this (LED lightning mod, not the crazy leafblower mod!).

Anyone with better search-fu than me help out? Thanks!!!

#2 10 years ago

Here is a link to my Whirlwind shop thread. Scroll down a bit and you will see how I did the lights in my topper. I did end up changing the 2 UV flex to blue. I decided that it looked much better that way.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shanetastics-whirlwind-2

#3 10 years ago

Here ya go. BTW i highly suggest you paint the lightning board white while you are in there, it makes it look a ton better.

Ok, here we go.. Keep in mind that this is how I installed the flashers, you can do it many other ways and many on the forum will suggest that you solder the lamp directly to the board but I am not good with soldering and I dont want to risk screwing up a PCB board that you cannot replace easily.

Tools needed:
Crimping Tool
Solder Iron

Parts needed
18 gauge wire
Wedge Style Sockets with 2 lugs (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5026-01)
box of 18 gauge Ring Terminals
Insulated Alligator clips
Short screws to attach the sockets to the top of your machine

Ok first remove the topper and set it aside. Measure your wire from the fan unit on top to the lightning board in the back of your playfield (that flashs when you hit a target) Make sure to allow room for cable management in your backbox. Ok cut two strands of 18 gauge for this length. Attach one end of each piece to a wedge socket using your solder iron. Attach a red ring terminal (the smallest one) to the other end of each wire. Ok you are going to mount the socket on the top and feed the two rings down to your lightning board. Ok, ID which flasher you want to light up, remove the twist flasher from the lightning board, and put the ring terminal "around" the metal tab that connects to the Lightning board and twist it back in. Basically you sandwich the ring to the PCB board and the twist flasher, but make sure that there are no exposed wires or that the ring could touch another lead (it shouldn't). So one ring goes to one metal tab and the other goes to the other metal tab. What this does is send the current up to your flasher and then completes the loop back down.

I have used this method on Whirlwind and also CFTBL for lighted pop bumpers and they seem to stay put, I have not had one cause issues yet.

That takes care of the lightning effect, now for the red/blue effects you solder up a flasher socket on top and run it down to the flasher socket under the (5000 when flashing) bulbs under each set of pop bumpers. I used clips for this piece but you could also solder the wires if you are good with soldering. Same rules apply, make sure you complete the circuit. Make sure you allow slack for lifting and lowering the playfield for these.

Now for the Fan lights, Mount two wedge sockets on top, solder a wire onto one of the lugs of the first socket and then solder the other end of the wire to one of the lugs on the second socket. Basically you are wiring the sockets together. You should have one free lug on each lamp socket now. Solder another piece of wire on the free lug and connect an insulated alligator clip on the other end. Do this for both lamps. You now clip the alligator clips to each lug on the fan where the wires attach to the motor to complete the circuit

This is my LEDS i have selected for this project.
2x Warm White LEDs each attached to a GI rear lamp (might switch to UV)
2x CT "Balrog" Flasher 44 bulbs attached to the fan motor (higher voltage LEDs)
1x CT 9 stack Coolwhite 906 flasher on first lightning lamp
1x CT 9 stack Orange 906 flasher on second lightning lamp
1x CT 9 stack Coolwhite 906 Flasher on third lightning lamp
1x CT 9 stack Red 906 Flasher on the High Pressure flasher insert
1x CT 9 stack Blue 906 Flasher on the Low pressure flasher insert

#4 10 years ago

I'll upload a fan video to show you this config in action.

#5 10 years ago

interesting...Could you post a couple pics of the setup (on top, particularly around the fan?). I'm curious about how you tapped into the fan...Isnt that a 24 or 28V fan? Thanks again.

#6 10 years ago

There is a poor angle video, but you can at least how the topper interacts with the gameplay.

The fan I needed the higher voltage leds, the LOTR Balrog leds did nicely here.
just clip some alligator clips on the two lugs powering the fan

#7 10 years ago

Btw I did notice a mistake above, you need 44 style sockets for the fans lamps, not wedge.

5 months later
#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the tutorial!

8 months later
#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the Whirlwind pinball mod ideas. I just wanted to light up the Whirlwind fan blue when it was activated. For the people that are cheap and want to keep it simple, like myself, this is what I did.
I used alligator clips for easy install and removal. I found that I can buy a 24v blue "9 LED bulb". This keeps it simple where I can just use one bulb (9 LED's) and am not required to solder two bulb sockets together. The description on the Blue 9 LED bulb on ebay was "
2X-T10-194-168-W5W-WEDGE-5050-3-CHIPS-LIGHT-9SMD-LED-Dome-Map-BULB-Blue-24V-HB2" and they were $6 for two.
I used the fan's wire hole to hold the bulb and wrapped it with electrical tape to prevent any shorting that could occur. Of course, if you move your machine around a lot then you would probably want to secure the bulb better. It looks great and it's nice to have a visual indication when the fan is active.
whirlwind fan light mod side.jpgwhirlwind fan light mod side.jpg

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from matt1999:

Thanks for the Whirlwind pinball mod ideas. I just wanted to light up the Whirlwind fan blue when it was activated. For the people that are cheap and want to keep it simple, like myself, this is what I did.

Nice! I really like that idea - I think I'll follow suit with something similar. Thanks for posting it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-topper-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.