Whirlwind spinning disk decal removal and replacement

Started 1 year ago by Blackbeard in forum TechTech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

Whirlwind spinning disk decal removal and replacement

Topic summary

• Started 1 year ago by Blackbeard
  • 10 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Blackbeard

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

1 year ago
    #

I saw a few posts on this topic and most say to either heat up the area and pull, then use some goo gone to get up residue.

My 2 questions are these:

1. Do I have to pop off the spinning tiles from below to do this? (i'm not thinking I do). Just concerned that using the goo gone afterwards will seep below pf if I don't.

2. Best way to "lay" the new decals down? They are circles and I can see it being difficult to line up the new decals uniformly over the circular tiles.

Any advices?

Thanks!

1 year ago
    #

Main this is be careful with what ever you do or use on the playfield.

If unsure, I'd remove the disc unit and do it outside the game.

LTG : )

1 year ago
    #

My old discs were so worn that they were smooth. I had your same concerns and ended up putting the new ones on top of the old ones. I have not had any trouble.

1 year ago
    #

I just peeled the old ones right off and cleaned the old adhesive off with alcohol.Took about 10 minutes total.

1 year ago
    #

Seems to me I've seen a few replacement decals, some that are smooth like a sticker, and others that have a bit of grip to them. Does anyone have leads on where to find the ones with grip?

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

1 year ago
    #

I got mine at Bay Area amusements.

1 year ago
    #

Replaced mine on WW recently (and replacing the one on the pizza in TMNT tonight).

Available from bayareaamusements.com. They are a bit textured so the ball will spin when hit. Use a razor blade to get a hold of the edge then pull slowly. Cutting a big X in the middle helps to grab hold of chunks of it. Once it's off use alcohol to get rid of the left over adhesive. Pull the backing off new decal, hold it a centimeter above the plastic disk, then plop it down. Easiest way to get it centered because the decal is not the most precise thing ever and neither is the spinner, it won't go all the way to the edge on all sides.

1 year ago
    #
    Bischt said:

Use a razor blade to get a hold of the edge then pull slowly. Cutting a big X in the middle helps to grab hold of chunks of it. Once it's off use alcohol to get rid of the left over adhesive.

Exactly what I did.
    Worked perfectly.

And i bought the textured decals from Curly at Little Shop of Games.

1 year ago
    #
    Bischt said:

Use a razor blade to get a hold of the edge then pull slowly. Cutting a big X in the middle helps to grab hold of chunks of it. Once it's off use alcohol to get rid of the left over adhesive. Pull the backing off new decal, hold it a centimeter above the plastic disk, then plop it down. Easiest way to get it centered because the decal is not the most precise thing ever and neither is the spinner, it won't go all the way to the edge on all sides.

Do this!

No heat, no goo gone, no taking the spinner units out of the game. I did this and didn't even have any left over adhesive on the disks (but I still cleaned them with alcohol).

--Luke

1 year ago
    #

Has anyone had any experience with comparing the textured decals between Little Shop of Games and Bay Area? I'd like to get some good grip on there so the ball really moves.

Best,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics

1 year ago
    #

So just replaced them. Took all of 15 mins.

Plastic razor blade on the edges and they peel right off with no residue. I did clean the spinners with naphtha and then applied new ones

Looks terrific!!!

1 year ago
    #

Lookin' good!

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics

1 year ago
    #
    RyanClaytor said:

Seems to me I've seen a few replacement decals, some that are smooth like a sticker, and others that have a bit of grip to them. Does anyone have leads on where to find the ones with grip?
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics

The ones from Classic Arcades on Ebay really grip the ball and fling it around.Sometimes it really pisses me off cause it will fling it right down the middle after you hit the millions shot.They really put alot of spin on the ball.

1 year ago
    #

I just put mine on and they do not go all the way to the edges like the original ones. Is this okay?

1 year ago
    #
    seshpilot said:

I just put mine on and they do not go all the way to the edges like the original ones. Is this okay?

Where were your's from?

1 year ago
    #

Mine didn't either but they look fine

1 year ago
    #

Mine were from BAA

1 year ago
    #

Me too. I don't think they're way off. Just a tad small. Really can't tell. I'd buy again.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple