(Topic ID: 65214)

Which Steve Ritchie Stern - Trek, SM, ACDC or...?

By swampfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmp_20131002_193551-1660121081.jpg
encom-centerflank.jpg
DSC09441.JPG
DSC09572.JPG
DSC09571.JPG
DSC09560.JPG
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I've been in San Jose for work, and I had the pleasure of playing a very nice SM and AC/DC Pro on location (Pizza Depot). I'm tempted to try to pry a SM out of someone's hands and play it for a year while Star Trek ages and gets better. I also liked AC/DC Pro a lot more than I expected to.

It's way too early to compare code, but what do you think of the layouts when you compare ST and SM? Here's what I think I see:

- The Venom shot is sweet, but the Warp Ramp is sweeter (like NF jump ramp)
- ST has stationary targets where SM has the blue nubs of death
- I like the "Mission Start" shot on ST that's missing from SM.
Especially on the Premium, where the VUK feeds the upper flipper.
- ST has a kicker under the Vengeance; SM has a VUK into the pops instead
- ST has all indicators on the playfield, doesn't use the backboard
- Doc Ock magnet and saucer are very cool. ST seems to use that real
estate for more stationary targets, which could be a good thing

These all point to ST for me, but I'm still undecided. What I do know is that I need a Steve Ritchie DMD! BK is great, but it ain't no SM.

#2 10 years ago

Which Ritchie?

I say Mark!

-Mark

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from marcos:

Which Ritchie?
I say Mark!
-Mark

That's what I thought the thread was about as well.

#4 10 years ago

I like Steve's pins in general better than Mark's, but Mark made my favorite of the two.

#5 10 years ago

Howzabout a WPT? Deeper than SM and ST will ever be, great flow and strategy. BTW, love your "less is more" slant for pf features. The Sandman bank/area on SM is cool as it can be a death shot. And the SM ramps, although much narrower, are very satisfying to hit. There's more variety to shoot in SM, for sure. I'm sure ST will shape up over time tho.

#6 10 years ago

Wpt over Sm for me! Own em both

#7 10 years ago

I've been wrestling with this myself. I think I like the SM theme better though. Soon I'll buy one or the other. Until then there is only one Ritchie.

#8 10 years ago

Bump for more opinions...

#9 10 years ago

Im rolling with Spidey, just got one, super fun!

DSC09560.JPGDSC09560.JPG

#10 10 years ago

SM for now it's the very best,ST looks terrific and could be even better (did I just say that)

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wpt over Sm for me! Own em both

Yeah, SM is a great game; WPT is just a little better IMO.

#13 10 years ago

The webslinger all the way!

#14 10 years ago

SM for sure. Star TRek is a pretty fun game for sure, but SM is just so damn smooth.
ACDC never done anything for me.

#15 10 years ago

Spider-Man and I have ACDC Prem and Spidey.

Steve, Lyman, good music, Actor callouts, fun theme, great toys and ramps and tasteful mods are out there. It's the full package.

Edit

I have what some call the lesser 2010 version with plastic apron etc. None of that stuff bothers me. It's just plain great.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I have what some call the lesser 2010 version with plastic apron etc. None of that stuff bothers me. It's just plain great.

I think it's the better version - I assume it has the HD cab decals?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think it's the better version - I assume it has the HD cab decals?

I'm not sure but the decals look great.

#18 10 years ago

Don't be suckered into the SM illusion trap swampfire. The game is boring in a HUO environment. For whatever reason, its a blast to play on location - maybe cause its so easy to learn. I owned it for 9 mos after playing it a day on location thinking it was awesome; then 5 years later, i decided to buy it again to see if i was missing something with all the love and hype it gets. Nope; again fun for a week but gets repetitive and boring fast in a HUO environment. The sounds, call outs, and dmd are very bad. Spider-Man movie theme is horrible; reporter is annoying; repetive villain call outs annoying. Flow is good...too good...because it makes your ears bleed with such repetitive annoying call outs. Stick with ST; but if you want a more complete/proven game, then go ACDC.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Don't be suckered into the SM illusion trap swampfire. The game is boring in a HUO environment. For whatever reason, its a blast to play on location - maybe cause its so easy to learn. I owned it for 9 mos after playing it a day on location thinking it was awesome; then 5 years later, i decided to buy it again to see if i was missing something with all the love and hype it gets. Nope; again fun for a week but gets repetitive and boring fast in a HUO environment. The sounds, call outs, and dmd are very bad. Spider-Man movie theme is horrible; reporter is annoying; repetive villain call outs annoying. Flow is good...too good...because it makes your ears bleed with such repetitive annoying call outs. Stick with ST; but if you want a more complete/proven game, then go ACDC.

I think you just dont have enough games, majority of pins get a little "tired" that way in small collections

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Somebody is a Negative Nellie

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

His wife was probably whomping him in pinball all day

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I think you just dont have enough games, majority of pins get a little "tired" that way in small collections

Nope, I have to agree with SKB. AC/DC is the way to go here.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Nah; im a happy camper. It just needed to be said. Overrated game IMO. It's awesome flow disguises its horrible theme and repetitious behavior.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

horrible theme

The flagship of Marvels comic enterprise a horrible theme? I think eggbert hijacked Eskays account!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I think eggbert hijacked Eskays account!

Lol. Now that's funny.

Seriously though; the SM movies weren't that good. They were good for their time as people wanted a high budget super hero movie and SM delivered in that respect. But compared to all the newer super hero movies (IM, Thor, TDK, avengers, etc...). It's just very dated - and its not even that old.

Swamp fire; I highly recommend you get more time on an SM and hopefully in a quiet environment where you can pay closer attention to the sounds, call outs, and dmd.

Animations of SM and the actors plastered all over the pf just goes to show how important it is to leave actors off the pf and have custom cartoony graphics instead of movie clips. (Looking at you mr ST).

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Seriously though; the SM movies weren't that good. They were good for their time as people wanted a high budget super hero movie and SM delivered in that respect. But compared to all the newer super hero movies (IM, Thor, TDK, Avengers, etc...). It's just very dated - and its not even that old.

I really liked the spiderman trilogy, first one was 2002, well over a decade ago. It was made fairly kid friendly as are the comics. I have not seen the newest reboot.

I like that it has all the villains from the movie, animations dont bother me as I rarely pay attention to the dmd but agreed they could have been better. Lots of ramp action, its a fast game. Id almost consider removing the middle post between the flips and the gate above the right flipper, I do dislike how it sometimes slows the ball down or misses it and zooms past that flipper.

But whatever, you dont love it, thats OK... Id guess youd take Lamp over it.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I really liked the spiderman trilogy, first one was 2002, well over a decade ago. It was made fairly kid friendly as are the comics. I have not seen the newest reboot.
I like that it has all the villains from the movie, animations dont bother me as I rarely pay attention to the dmd but agreed they could have been better. Lots of ramp action, its a fast game. Id almost consider removing the middle post between the flips and the gate above the right flipper, I do dislike how it sometimes slows the ball down or misses it and zooms past that flipper.
But whatever, you dont love it, thats OK... Id guess youd take Lamp over it.

Yea theme probably has a big influence on my dislike for it
Now if it was based on the reboot; we'd be talking. Much better SM movie IMO.

#28 10 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong between SM and ACDC. So for me it comes down to ball times. If you like fast games, ACDC is the choice. If you prefer the longer mode-based games then SM most likely.

ST is so early in its code that it's hard to recommend it at all. I noticed today that when a player was choosing a mode, it was showing menu graphics from Stern's Portals (diags, audits, etc) and later it had weird stuff with the magnetic ball lock going on that caused one player to lose his turn. Something in that state is not enjoyable to me. I'd rather wait until everything was finished to see what it can be, even if it's a year or more, although I find the layout is acceptable.

#30 10 years ago

ACDC to me wins.
I LOVE SM, it's the game that really got me into pinball as an adult.
ACDC is great all around to me.

#31 10 years ago

AC/DC hands down.

#32 10 years ago

SM is my favorite I've played on that list. I am probably going to be adding a Star Trek Premium soon which looks to be a hell of a pin. AC/DC would be last I would add on the list.

#33 10 years ago

2013 Trek or STTNG?? Assuming the latest one. If thats the case then Trek for flow, ACDC for code. Trek for the operator/ novice, ACDC for the home user who can figure out how to play it by taking the glass off

#34 10 years ago

ACDC would win by a narrow margin over WPT (I love them both in terms of game play but theme, music and callouts tip the balance). Still, given the difference in price, I bought a WPT and it is a keeper!
Will keep it at least until I reach Keefer's invitational (i.e. probably never without the glass off...)

#35 10 years ago

I prefer AC/DC, than SM and maybe ST in the near future.

But all games of his games in the past were great! However I can't remember Superman. Does someone have this game?

#36 10 years ago

SM. Gotta get one with a shaker though - it's so well integrated. Also has one of the best multiball kick-off shots (bank bust). The combo shots with their callouts are so well done too. Those awful stock sling plastics must be replaced though... yuck.

#37 10 years ago

This is an easy one, Star Trek. As more people get the chance to play it it will eclipse both ACDC and SM (IMHO). Steve has done what all great designers try to do with each new model, make all previous models look like crap (flame suit is on )

And this from a guy who LOOOVED his SM and wants an ACDC so bad that he is considering getting one and storing it at a neighbors house until the kids move out.... but what can I say, ST is the one I want most out of those three.

#38 10 years ago

Thanks for the comments, all. No poll for this, just wondered what folks thought.

I'm pretty immune to theme (Metallica being exhibit A). The rules for SM seemed pretty good; I need to re-read the PinballNews review. I agree that the art on S:ST is better (and I hated the lower playfield when I first saw it). I think I'll wait 6-9 months and see where the rules end up.

I do wish I could find a SM on location around here.

#39 10 years ago

sm

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Seriously though; the SM movies weren't that good.

WHO ARE YOU?!

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Will keep it at least until I reach Keefer's invitational (i.e. probably never without the glass off...)

Put it on 8 ball.........a lot more fun that way! Wpt is awesome.....

SM really is a great pin, best flow eva, great toys and modes.......

Sorry EasyK but movies were great, love theme too...

#42 10 years ago

IMHO, any pin in a collection of 4 or less is only good for about year, before it gets old. Someone started a thread here (or maybe on RGP) that was basically, "name one pin that doesn't get old after a year". My defense against pins getting "old" is temp trades, or even putting a game in storage until I miss it.

#43 10 years ago

SM got quite boring for me in the home environment as well. I was never a fan of the rules - most of the villain modes feel exactly the same.

Id go with ACDC.

#44 10 years ago

Buy all 3. Be happy

#45 10 years ago

Black Knight 3000.

#46 10 years ago

This sticker was in the goody bag that came with that routed Spidey I have, thought it would look cool here....U likey?

DSC09571.JPGDSC09571.JPG DSC09572.JPGDSC09572.JPG

#47 10 years ago

Go through the rotation: buy one, play it for 6 months and trade it for the next. Start with the cheapest.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

This sticker was in the goody bag that came with that routed Spidey I have, thought it would look cool here....U likey?

You just need a little 6" PinGlare to go under that sticker.

#49 10 years ago

I was just trying to decide the same thing and got SM, but I think ST or ACDC may be my next pin. Star Trek won't be finished code wise for a while so I may get ACDC next unless I am blown away with something on the Premium ST.

#50 10 years ago

You just need a little 6" PinGlare to go under that sticker.

Uh wa what? To stop the reflect off the glass? I did my TRON like that, liked the reflect!

// Error: Image 139520 not found // // Error: Image 139521 not found // DSC09441.JPGDSC09441.JPG encom-centerflank.jpgencom-centerflank.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 25.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 25.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-ritchie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.