Which pin should I get next

Started 2 years ago by Shoot_Again in forum MarketBuying advice.

Forum » Market » Buying advice » Topic

Which pin should I get next

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • 23 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Shoot_Again

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Topic poll

• poll:
    Monster Bash : (13 votes)
    17 %
    Twilight Zone : (18 votes)
    23 %
    Lord of the Rings : (26 votes)
    33 %
    Tales of the Arabian nights : (10 votes)
    13 %
    Shadow : (11 votes)
    14 %

• Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

I have narrowed it down a little.
      I am really ideally waiting until one of these titles comes up locally for the right price and condition.

Monster Bash
      Twilight Zone
      Tales of the Arabian Nights
      Lord of the Rings
      Shadow

There are obviously alot of other titles I would be content adding to my collection.
      Just looking for other pinsiders thoughts on the above titles or other titles I don't have.
      Please give a reason for likes and dislikes.

Thank you all for your time

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

What your price range?

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Not important at this time unless you have one of the titles for sale?
      My price only depends on market and condition of the machine.
      It may vary a couple hundred if it is extremely rare or emaculate.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Anyone have advice? This is my first topic just trying to get use to the software.
      I do honestly want input from any and all who have either played all titles or own one or more of them. I personally have a good feel for what I want next but really need to play more games on Shadow TOTAN and MB.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Spend more time on MB. I found that it got very boring in home use. But you have a larger collection, so you may not have that issue. The fun factor for me on that title was gone after about 3 weeks. Just my opinion though!

dung

Pinball addict
      1,382,100 2
      2 years, 1 month ago
      #

I would go with Shadow. It is the cheapest on your list.

The reasoning is that you are not going to know what you are looking at the first couple of times. It is very easy to buy a game that looks great, bring it home, and find out it has issues (cosmetic or otherwise). I am pretty sure alot of us will admit to missing things even after looking at a few dozen games. With Shadow you aren't as likely to get hosed on it, especially compared to monsterbash due to its high price or tz due to its complexity.

Atomicboy

Pinball guru
      5,473,250 2
      2 years, 1 month ago
      #

My suggestion would be in the order of TZ, LOTR, Shadow, Tales, and to leave MB alone.

TZ and LOTR are both staple machines IMO. Shadow is great too, Tales looks great, but doesn't play as exciting as you might hope.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Yeah I have a love for monsters so I like MB but was afraid of it being a little to str forward.
      I do like Shadow and LOTR the more I play them.
      I have played alot of all of these titles on my Hyperpin but not as many games in real life.
      (thanks again "Markmon" for the beautiful Hyper job well done)
      I think Shadow is a must own now just looking to fine tune the order I seek them out.

Thank you all who have responded thus far please keep them coming
      The more opinions the better

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

TZ then LOTR

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Shadow or TZ. They both play alot different than anything you currently own but they are both potentially very polarizing. Monster Bash would be the best choice if you wanted to maximize fun for all.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #
      smokedog said:

Spend more time on MB. I found that it got very boring in home use. But you have a larger collection, so you may not have that issue. The fun factor for me on that title was gone after about 3 weeks. Just my opinion though!

+1 I concur

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Shadow all the way

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

I'd go MB is money is no object, though it is hard to get. Love the game and goes great with the ones you have. You might consider RFM too. Fun game. Adds a different twist. Great beside AFM.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Own TOTAN, MB, and Shadow all great games for different reasons.

Shadow, has the most unique play. Divertors are awesome as there is no other game that has them. 3 flippers and an upper breakout type playfield also gives it a different feel. The ball lock is cool. It is also the cheapest of the ones you listed. Might have a little learning curve for newbies that come over. Only negative is the movie tie in. Depends if that matters to you.

TOTAN is the most gorgeous game ever created. The shots are nicely laid out, so it does have a nice fun factor. The animation dots are great, and the ramps are cool. The biggest drawback is the rule set. Really bad uneven scoring when hitting the lamp, and you can wish away your jewel modes by hitting the bazaar hole. Since there are only 7 jewels to collect, and sometimes you can wish away 2 without playing them, getting to the Wizard mode is too easy. Play for score and don't wish away jewels and it keeps longer.

MB is by far the most approachable for people coming over. Looks great, easy rule set to learn, and awesome toys. Humor and dot animation are very cool. Awesome fun factor. Getting the Wizard modes is not too difficult. If you like MM or AFM, then you will like this one as it is a fan layout. My nephew, brother, and friend's favorite game. We play all the time, and getting the Wizard mode is only a step to the bigger goal of getting Grand Champion initials on the DMD. The price on this one is the highest of the pins you listed. I don't know if that matters to you.

If defeating the Wizard Mode is all you care about MB and TOTAN are not for you. For me, I like getting scores so Wizard Modes don't matter.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

I voted for MB.I'm in the market for one as well.They are all great games there's not a single game on your list I wouldn't love to own/play.Scott

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

I would say get the rarest first. But that can all depend on what you find as well and condition.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

I own MB, TZ, and TOTAN. With you already owning a MM and AFM, I don't think I'd be in any rush to add a MB. There's just too many similarities. I don't have enough time on LOTR or TS to make any kind of recommendation on those.

Between TZ and TOTAN, it depends on what you're looking for. For gameplay, I'd choose the TZ, but my TOTAN gets more plays. Casual players do not like TZ, that's all there is to it. Out of the 10 or so family/friends who play my pins, only 3 of them play the TZ.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

TZ is a real collectable and has amazing rules and tons of content. However, I have come to the conclusion that based on the rule set LOTR is the better player.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Looking at your collection I would Say MB, with TOTAN second. I'll always think TZ is the best game ever made, but you've already got Addams, IJ, & STNG, you need a fast burner like MB. There's enough TZs around that there will be one ready for you later.

EDIT: Shadow last as the game has never done anything for me, and the least pretty of the bunch.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Seems like LOTR would be a great addition to your collection. You already have a couple wide-bodies, so not sure if you really want another yet. You would be adding one of Stern's best to your collection. Enough depth to keep you interested, and friends/family would probably also enjoy it. Have fun deciding/searching.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

I'd go with LOTR.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

TZ all the way!!!

RobT

Pinside legend
      12,266,723 3
      2 years, 1 month ago
      #

You've got a nice collection made up of mostly B/W pins. I'd recommend one of best Stern's that you can get: LOTR (preferably the LE).

2 years, 1 month ago
      #
      Atomicboy said:

My suggestion would be in the order of TZ, LOTR, Shadow, Tales, and to leave MB alone.
      TZ and LOTR are both staple machines IMO. Shadow is great too, Tales looks great, but doesn't play as exciting as you might hope.

Ditto

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

get something different. get an 80s system 11 or something like that. Pin Bot is on your wishlist. It's so great!

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Thanks for all of your input.

Now I have more issues though =-) I have had almost all of these thoughts.
      So torn

I have owned a few system 11 games

After the above list it is new titles and probably alot of sys 11 games
      Taxi, Whirlwind etc..

would also like to pick back up an EM or old allied cocktail pin.

I am quickly running out of room. I created a monster. My GF just payed for her LE ECWOZ.
      so two people collection in the same house might be interesting until the kid goes off to college.

Also if stern makes Avengers its all me but if muppets ill just show her and let her buy that one while I round out my most wanted A list titles.

oh life is so hard

kidding thanks again all for your input
      have fun and keep gaming

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

What! No BBH? I really have no opinion on any of those games.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Well, you obviously now have a clear concensus of opinions.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

LOTR based on your current collection, though if it were me MB would be my first choice.

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Is space an issue? Because honestly, for the price of a MB you could probably pick up both a Shadow AND a TZ or LOTR..

2 years, 1 month ago
      #

Space is kind of limited.

Good thing or I would have 80s era pins on one wall of the garage.

I constantly entertain guests so approachable family fun is good also.

I like wizard mode but pretty much just compete for highscore with two friends.

At the current price I am leaning heavily towards a Shadow.

The others I think I will just see what comes up with the right price and condition.

Thanks all for your help much appreciated

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple