(Topic ID: 82884)

Which of these Stern S.A.M. titles is the best (code & fun)?

By tbanthony

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PEN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I already have 3 Stern S.A.M. games. After having gone down the road of having 1 machine from nearly every manufacturer, I've decided that I am going to keep my collection simplified to one mfr and system at this time.

Here are the games I already have:
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Avengers
- Star Trek

The games I would consider next are:
- AC/DC
- Tron

I am not going to consider:
- Spiderman (too similar to Star Trek)
- Iron Man (I already have Avengers and don't need more of that theme)
- Metallica (not a fan of the band and prefer AC/DC instead)

But as an alternative option, what I would like to know is what does anyone think is the best amongst the rest in terms of quality of code and fun to play:

World Poker Tour
Family Guy
Wheel of Fortune
Shrek
Indiana Jones 4
Batman
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
NBA
Big Buck Hunter Pro
The Rolling Stones
Transformers
X-Men

No poll because the list is too long for a poll. More interested in the commentary rather than a # count anyway. Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Simple bash it fun - TF - easy Multiballs, good theme, cool sounds.
Deep Code - X-Men - You'll be on it forever trying to get to 1 of the wizard modes
WPT and 24 for sharp shooter long shots.

IMO, IJ4 and Batman just arent fun
I can't comment on the other - not enough game time.

FWIW: I own a Tron, and AC/DC was on my mind when I purchased Tron. IMO, I believe that AC/DC has turned and become a little more affordable, and the Tron has risen in price. If I was to buy now, I believe I would choose the AC/DC Premium - HUO - not NIB,

#3 10 years ago

ACDC or Tron, that is tough. I own one and the other is at the top of my list.
Of the bottom list I would go with WPT or Xmen.

#5 10 years ago

ACDC Premium is the best Stern ever made. That being said I dont feel SM plays like ST at all & IM is much better then Avengers.

#6 10 years ago

I would go for Tron or probably am i the only one here for BBH .

#7 10 years ago

I would go with ACDC up top, and XM with the bottom list.

#8 10 years ago

I know spiderman looks similar to Star Trek, but it doesn't feel anything like Star Trek. In fact, Acdc feels a lot more like Star Trek than spiderman. In acdc, the two ramps are wide and easy to flow. Both are easy back hands. They feel identical to star treks two left and right ramps. On spiderman, it's totally different. The ramps are narrow and tight on spiderman in comparison. If this really was your only reason for thing spiderman out, I suggest you reconsider. Spiderman, in my opinion, is one of the greatest games ever created with some of the best software ever created for a pinball.

#9 10 years ago

Interesting that comment Mark. I've played both after playing Star Trek. Spiderman felt like a tight version of ST and I prefer the more open feel of ST. I get what you say about AC/DC but when I play it, it does not remind me of ST. But then, I'm not a very good player so I'm not really doing the same comparison of the shots in the way you are.

Ok, back on topic.... What I really wanted was thoughts on what I'll call the "B list" of SAM games....

World Poker Tour
Family Guy
Wheel of Fortune
Shrek
Indiana Jones 4
Batman
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
NBA
Big Buck Hunter Pro
The Rolling Stones
Transformers
X-Men

These are the games I don't really have much time on for the most part and would like to hear more about what's good/bad and which are the most fun and have the most complete rules. I hardly ever hear anything or see any posts on the majority of these games.

#10 10 years ago

My personal opinions:

World Poker Tour - I hate the theme, artwork, and that just makes me have a hard time judging this game. Lots of targets to shoot at, and I don't find those fun shots. Not Steve's normal flow style. I don't recommend.

Family Guy / Shrek - I don't enjoy these games or themes. They seem popular for non pinball crowd. Good humor. Software seems decent. Don't like the layout or game play.

Wheel of Fortune - What a neat layout by Dennis Nordman. Software is good except missing wizard mode. You may not be able to get there anyway. There's a lot to do. Very unique by flippers. I hate the theme and appearance of the art.

Indiana Jones 4 - very repetitive, long ball times, not very fun. As an Indiana jones lover, I wanted to like this game. Sold it pretty fast. The arc multiball is neat. It's just too repetitive and the ball is stopped too often. Double flipper does not cancel any animations . I'd pass.

Batman - I love the theme so I am more tolerant of this game. Its fast moving. But only one ramp. The crane is very fun to shoot at. The joker toy is sort of meh. Ruleset seems complete enough since Lyman finished it a couple years later. But both software and layout lacks in polish. I'd only consider if you love the theme.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - I hate this game. The toys seem to hold the ball. Its not fast. I don't recommend at all.

24 - Partially designed by Steve Ritchie but he didn't finish it. Can have long ball times. Pretty good flow. Some really tight shots. The whole game is a big hurry up. Where it lost me was software. Its complete enough but it just didn't engage me. As I progressed through the games 24 scenes, I never felt like I was doing anything other than shooting arrows. Toys very cheap. The pop up bad guys are fun. But not used very often.

NBA - somewhat fun if you like the theme. Probably be a difficult resell. The hoop shot is neat. Can't speak to software completion.

Big Buck Hunter Pro - not bad. Many multiballs. Can be very cheap and frustrating at times. Didn't last in my collection long.

Avatar - I like this game. The sounds really engage you. The magnet makes the game pretty fun. It's not super fast. Ball times are medium. Software is good.

The Rolling Stones - surprisingly, this is a very very fast flowing game. The ramps are very wide making them super easy to flow. Both ramps can be backhanded and the ruleset encourages combos. The moving mick on a stick is somewhat fun to shoot at. Game was designed by one of the cactus canyon designers. Unfortunately, I hate the theme. The toys are flat plastic and cheap. The artwork is terrible. But the game is fun. The software seems pretty good also. If you like the theme , I actually give this a strong recommends.

Transformers - pro is fast with decent flow. Game is good but you really need to love the theme. It's not very innovative. Just a standard fan layout. If you love the theme, the sound effects are pretty good. LE adds sine useless toys, a welcomed orbit ball diverter that improves flow, and a lot of improved looks.

X-Men - what a great game this has become. The LE especially. The pro lacks due to no night crawlers. There's a ton of interesting shots and software is very good now. I strongly recommend this game.

Of the games you listed, assuming you like the themes, is recommend xmen, batman, Rolling Stones, and avatar as top picks.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Of the games you listed, assuming you like the themes, is recommend xmen, batman, Rolling Stones, and Avatar as top picks.

Not to hijack OP's thread here, but I'm very interested in the answers to his questions. Markmon, I'm interested in your recommendations quoted above. Are these recommendations based on play right out of the box, or are your factoring in mods with any of these titles?

#12 10 years ago

You have to play them for yourself, I didn't like Tron at all but love IJ4. I didn't care for Xmen or Avengers but really like Transformers, I think AC/DC is your best bet for speed and flow but if you want something with more modes then Transformers.

#13 10 years ago

BDK most fun for a broad set of players
FGY funniest pin ever and fun
WOF most unique layout and will teach you how to nudge

All the pins above are not that easy to find for a reason.

#14 10 years ago

WPT: best integration of shots/strategy, deepest rules of your options, fun game with good flow and nonstandard pf layout, tons of drop targets, great music.

I am not a fan of the FG/Shrek layout. NBA is a bit too simple. WOF is fun and challenging. I also like CSI and 24; most of the other suggestions are ok but not great imo.

#15 10 years ago

Ac/Dc is a must , What about Simpsons pinball party ?

#16 10 years ago

Sopranos
CSI
Transformers

in that order

Sopranos i one hell of a fun and difficult game, beating Boss will give you fits and it wont happen for quite a while..

Funny and great dots, smooth flowing with a bit of stop and go now and then as well, very balanced pin, and a great soundtrack...

It is amazing with an external sub !

Pin guys and newbs love it as well both for different reasons.. winner !

#17 10 years ago

And i would stay right away from that X-Men pile-o-crap !

#18 10 years ago

CSI has tight shots, good audio, especially if you are a fan of the show...

multi balls modes are hard to complete, but if you can complete all 3 of them, you get a "wizard MB mode that has a BIG payoff... again it will take quite a while to get there unless you are Bowen .. LOL

Transformers = longer ball times, but lots to shoot for, and some strategy involved, buy a combo, its the best looking as well IMO... this game has come a long way from first release.. buy a nicely modded up and updated HUO, and i think it would be a win too..

Markmon's pretty much right on with the 24 overview... It didnt last long for me though, but that may have been different if i didnt bite on the X-Men without knowing better...

#19 10 years ago

WPT is a phenomenal game and the best of your list. You will get a lot of biased opinions because it's not the prettiest game and it takes a while to get. Also, because of all the long shots, the flippers have to be top notch or the game plays horrible.

Play a nice WPT with fresh flippers a long time and I think most peoples opinion of the game will be favorable.

#20 10 years ago

I'd go for for ACDC from your list and I've heard good things about BBH too. Only looking at that from a lineup perspective.

If it were me I'd look outside that group and add LOTR to your short list.

And yes I do realize it's not a S.A.M. system.

#21 10 years ago

Yes WPT, could be a good one as well...

Deep rules, and a ton to shoot for..

Had a HUO, was my 3rd DMD pin.. it played great, but it is heavy in the stop and go dept...

so much it kinda bummed me out, but i guess there are ways around that i didnt know about at the time...

If you do go WPT, get a nice HUO thats not all yellow, these didnt fair well cosmetically on route, flipper button wear etc..

smoke stains you know... if the OP didnt keep it really clean them PF's still tend to look cocka too even after a good cleaning.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You have to play them for yourself, I didn't like Tron at all but love IJ4. I didn't care for Xmen or Avengers but really like Transformers, I think AC/DC is your best bet for speed and flow but if you want something with more modes then Transformers.

Apparently, I like the exact opposite of you. Our tastes don't totally disagree though... I see you have ST and AC/DC in your collection.

I tend to agree with Mark's comments on the games I do know something a bit more about. Especially, IJ4 (sorry Mr. Korth). I did play that one in a movie theater a fair number of times. As much as I liked the theme, I got tired of bashing the Ark and nothing else really was very interesting on the game.

#23 10 years ago

Anyone own an NBA? I've never even seen one (except pics), let alone play one. There something potentially attractive to me about a simpler straightforward game if it is well executed. Of course, LeBron is on the glass... not so good for Cleveland anymore. I certainly wouldn't put one on location around here.

#24 10 years ago

Did you miss Lord of the Rings. ???

#25 10 years ago

Is it S.A.M.? I want all my games to basically run off the same/similar boards.... someday I'll expand my horizons again, but I overdid it for a period and having multiple op systems was a PITA for me where it concerns parts & repairs. I thought S.A.M. essentially started with World Poker Tour.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Is it S.A.M.? I want all my games to basically run off the same/similar boards.... someday I'll expand my horizons again, but I overdid it for a period and having multiple op systems was a PITA for me where it concerns parts & repairs. I thought S.A.M. essentially started with World Poker Tour.

Correct. I would still consider LOTR. It's the exception to the rule. Your lineup is begging for it!

#27 10 years ago

I have an ACDC Premium and an XMen LE love them both! With the prices I have seen recently I would not buy either NIB again, but I would certainly buy both again in a heartbeat!
ACDC probably gets more play in my collection than any of the others. XMen a close second. For what its worth I have to work to get great scores on either of them, however, for those comparing this to that and that to this.... I have played Stern ST maybe 5 times. On the fifth time I made it to Kobayashi Maru. Not saying I could do it every time but just saying there is something that makes it markedly different than ACDC, so don't worry about the comparisons. Spiderman kicks my butt too, I can see the comparison to ST visually, but for some reason Spiderman is harder for me to succeed at... play it... if it still feels too similar.. then move on. I have heard Tron and XMen are mirror images, both Borg, but they don't play like they are mirror images.

#28 10 years ago

And BTW contrary to some, Sopranos did come in SAM and Whitestar..

#29 10 years ago

If they did LOTR remake with SAM I'd be first in line!!! To answer the ops question, I enjoy FGY, BDK, Avatar, and WPT for different reasons. Can't go wrong with any of those.

#30 10 years ago

Actually, the kinda sorta did. Didn't the LOTR LE games contain at least parts of the SAM boardset?

Quoted from Pimp77:

If they did LOTR remake with SAM I'd be first in line!!!

EDIT: The LE's used the SAM I/O / Power driver board.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Actually, the kinda sorta did. Didn't the LOTR LE games contain at least parts of the SAM boardset?

EDIT: The LE's used the SAM I/O / Power driver board.

The sound would be the big improvement....

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Blitz7734:

I have heard Tron and XMen are mirror images, both Borg, but they don't play like they are mirror images.

Thats because they are not, X-MEN's shots are tighter, its a harder game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-of-these-stern-sam-titles-is-the-best-code-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.