Where are the Best and Worst Jet/Pop Bumpers located in pinball? (will use "pop bumper" for now)
Please tell us in your own words:
1. Which pins have the Best pop bumper action?
2. Which pins have the Worst pop bumper action?
3. What makes for Great pop bumper action?
4. What makes for Bad pop bumper action?
I'd like to start with a few responses based on observations from playing in my collection:
Great pop bumper action is the result of a few things I can see:
1. Randomized play that "makes you pay attention" -- I don't just mean a random ball redirect. I mean play where a pop can send a ball fired SDTM every now and then. Something awesome like that that keeps you on your toes.
2. Free points. I really like when the pops help score the 1-2-3 lanes for me, and I just have to be quick to change the lanes a few times with the flipper buttons, and I get a few sets of 1-2-3 which gets me closer to an extra ball or other reward.
3. Hits hard to reach targets. I really like when my Taxi pops hit the "carry passengers" stationary target for me.
4. Activates a cool toy. In The X-MEN L.E. When in STORM mode, the POPs trigger the shaker motor so well the floor shakes.
5. Bad pop bumper action is the result of putting them too close to an edge (Whirlwind), and not allowing the ball redirects to hit any cool targets or force a drain every now and then.
Based on those ideas, here are my machines, and how they stack up in terms of "Do the pops give good action?" Listen man, if the action is BAD, explain why -- you dig?
* Sorcerer: the pops help me score A-B-C-D lanes and the 3-drop targets.
* Space Shuttle: the pops help me score the U-S-A lanes and sometimes fire a shot SDTM. Forces me to pay attention.
* Taxi: the pops score "C-A-B" for me, and hit random targets as well such as "carry passenger".
* Black Knight: the single pop helps score a "locked ball" or any of 6 drop targets. Sometimes sends a ball to the evil ramp that SDTM's you down below.
* Diner: the pops help score "E-A-T" for me, and hit hard-to-reach targets like "grill bonus".
* Cyclone: the pops score "1-2-3" for me, which is really important for 2x scoring.
* Space Station: the pops help score "U-S-A", and sometimes help with "T-I-O-N" but, they are non-lethal.
* Whirlwind: pops are too close to the EDGES of the playfield. This means a lot of balls hit nothing but more pops, or the edge of the playfield.
* Grand Lizard. no pops, doesn't need 'em !
I wrote this after seeing the Hobbit pop bumper placement and thought -- SHEESH looks like Whirlwind pops, and I don't like them in that game at all. They are placed too close to the top of the machine (an edge), and they seem to hold up the game action...
Tell us about what pins you think have best/worst pops and more important -- WHY you think so... !
At the end of the day -- hopefully Stern/JJP/others will listen up to what Pinsiders have to report...