(Topic ID: 65149)

When Will Stern Release an LCD Pinball Machine?

By Aussiepinwiz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Part_3
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Launch a LCD Model Pinball?”

• In a few weeks time in a surprise move for the ST LE 9 votes
      3%
    • Sometime in 2014 79 votes
      29%
    • Sometime in 2015 59 votes
      22%
    • Sometime in 2016-2019 38 votes
      14%
    • Not anytime this decade 43 votes
      16%
    • Never. Pinball is about the playfield not the screen. 45 votes
      16%

(273 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1-630.jpeg
    images-11-518.jpeg
    images-7-97.jpeg
    Unknown-6-867.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-5-974.jpeg
    image.jpg
    outlook-not-good.jpg
    images-4-946.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    Deal-No-Deal.gif
    Alice-Eve.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg
    There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Right. And dmds don't enhance enjoyment much over alpha numeric. Its the higher quality games and rules that make the Dmd games great. Not the dmds themselves.

I don't agree, and I'm pretty confident that if you took away DMDs for alphas that most players would scream bloody murder about their dots.

Best pinball mod in existence now IMHO is putting a ColorDMD on your machine, it's hard to go back once you get used to it.

#302 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

If that were the case, then the King of Diamonds remake should be selling like hotcakes.

Stern needs to move to the LCD ASAP and do it right. Any faltering on this, major code issues, QA issues, etc. will be costly.

agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong I think an LCD is cool and most likely the future. I just think if Stern had one model of game basically what they now call a premium and sold it at 5-6k i think alot of people would line up to get one. For me personally now that the tables NIB are eclipsing 8k i will not be able to afford one. Give me one model so i don't feel that i am missing out on something, charge me 5,000 and i am a customer for life.

#303 10 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong I think an LCD is cool and most likely the future. I just think if Stern had one model of game basically what they now call a premium and sold it at 5-6k i think alot of people would line up to get one. For me personally now that the tables NIB are eclipsing 8k i will not be able to afford one. Give me one model so i don't feel that i am missing out on something, charge me 5,000 and i am a customer for life.

Agree to disagree as well.

I honestly feel I can get better B/W games with a DMD for 2-3k in nice shape.

I wouldn't pay 5k for any of the new Stern pro models. I paid $3200 for a 6 month old HUO LOTR, $3400 for a POTC, $2300 for an HUO WPT, and $2500 for a NIB WOF so chalk me up as someone who remembers the "good ole days" all of around 5-6 years ago.

#304 10 years ago

wouldn't pay 5k for any of the new Stern pro models

agreed!

give me premium quality, with near complete code for 5k and i am in.
    I am not a Alpha Numeric guy, or a DMD guy, or an LCD guy. I am a pinball guy. Give me a great playing fun table, and the rest is just icing on the cake.

#305 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Right. And dmds don't enhance enjoyment much over alpha numeric. Its the higher quality games and rules that make the Dmd games great. Not the dmds themselves.

Speak for yourself, and the next speaker below you, .

I cant barely play non DMD anymore. Very few pins i like without it, and all of them only short stints. Not hours of playing the same pin which in DMD i can do on plenty pins.

Its all about personal opninion. Not everybody likes pizza.....

And i think once you go woz and the hobbit, maybe a third "lcd" pin after that.... And you might not be looking back anymore.

Some will, but many others wont.

Next gen! Bring it on!

#306 10 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

agreed!
    give me premium quality, with near complete code for 5k and i am in.
    I am not a Alpha Numeric guy, or a DMD guy, or an LCD guy. I am a pinball guy. Give me a great playing fun table, and the rest is just icing on the cake.

To amend, I wouldn't pay $3500 for any of the new Stern Pro models in low play HUO condition.

I happen to think that WPT is one of Steve Richie's best games. Polished code, two playfields, two displays, tons of drop targets, actual paid talent from the show, etc. People will say its backglass (with a totally hot chick on it) is its biggest handicap while I say it suffers because it is not a superhero or science fiction pin.

#307 10 years ago

5k euro for a premium stern pin is a fair price in Holland i think.

Sadly they are 8,5k euro and the price rises every pin with a few hundred.

Ridiculous!

#308 10 years ago

To amend, I wouldn't pay $3500 for any of the new Stern Pro models in low play HUO condition.
    I happen to think that WPT is one of Steve Richie's best games. Polished code, two playfields, two displays, tons of drop targets, actual paid talent from the show, etc. People will say its backglass (with a totally hot chick on it) is its biggest handicap while I say it suffers because it is not a superhero or science fiction pin.

+1 for WPT. Great game despite the theme and, let's say..., questionable artwork!

#309 10 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

+1 for WPT. Great game despite the theme and, let's say..., questionable artwork!

Yep. If Stern made WPT today, it would be a super-deluxo, LE, SE version IMHO and probably sell for 9k. Tons of drops, dual displays, metal return scoops, four flippers, and some great polished rules. I sold an HUO example with 500 plays for $2300 a couple of years ago to make room for a game called WOZ that might be delivered to my room at the American House someday.

As for art, I would rather look at a lousy rendering of Courtney Friel than an actual photo of Angus Young (yes I own AC/DC Premium).

#310 10 years ago

to make room for a game called WOZ that might be delivered to my room at the American House someday.

Don't feel like you are alone in that.

None of my clients or friends have got their WOZ that they paid for 3 years ago either.

If you shorten the legs for wheelchair use, it could be an easily recognized theme at American House.

#311 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

None of my clients or friends have got their WOZ that they paid for 3 years ago either.

3 years! What reason have they been offered for the delay?

images-7-97.jpegimages-7-97.jpeg
    #312 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't feel like you are alone in that.
    If you shorten the legs for wheelchair use, it could be an easily recognized theme at American House.

Yep, instead of a pingulp caddy, I can attach a hanger for my walker....

#313 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

I cant barely play non DMD anymore. Very few pins i like without it, and all of them only short stints. Not hours of playing the same pin which in DMD i can do on plenty pins.
    Its all about personal opninion. Not everybody likes pizza.....
    And i think once you go woz and the hobbit, maybe a third "lcd" pin after that.... And you might not be looking back anymore.
    Some will, but many others wont.
    Next gen! Bring it on!

+1000

#314 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

3 years! What reason have they been offered for the delay?

images-7-97.jpeg 5 KB

JJP has been making regular WOZ to sell, rather than finishing the WOZLE that are paid for.

I understand that is the only way they can remain in business, but it still sucks for everyone waiting for their WOZLE.

#315 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

JJP has been making regular WOZ to sell, rather than finishing the WOZLE that are paid for.

I understand that is the only way they can remain in business, but it still sucks for everyone waiting for their WOZLE.

Neither of these statements are true.

#316 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

Neither of these statements are true.

Totally true.

I can right now go and buy a regular WOZ at the distributor, in stock.

My friends who paid for their WOZLE 3 years ago, have not received their games.

#317 10 years ago

yup, that is what i've been hearing as well. It's because jack needs money. new money. not crusty old preorder money he used to get the company up and running.

#318 10 years ago

You realise Jack was a millionaire prior to starting JJP?

#319 10 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

Correct. And this can be expanded upon with a nice LCD. I may not like the theme, but WOZ is putting the LCD to good use...not just the cut scenes...that the easy and obvious part, but how they are mapping out the modes. Great stuff, looking forward to a lot more.

I dunno. As a woz owner, I find the display to be pretty confusing and am not finding it to be helpful to determine status or goals *while playing*.

#320 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

I cant barely play non DMD anymore. Very few pins i like without it, and all of them only short stints. Not hours of playing the same pin which in DMD i can do on plenty pins.!

I agree and am the same way. I don't own any non Dmd games. But its due to the rules and layout. I spend very little time staring at the Dmd while playing. And unless your ball times are less then 30 sec per ball, neither do you. Its the game, not the display, that makes for the fun. And on woz (which I own also), I don't spend any additional time looking at the display than on a Dmd game.

#321 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I dunno. As a woz owner, I find the display to be pretty confusing and am not finding it to be helpful to determine status or goals *while playing*.

Even playing the prototypes, I found it very helpful. Maybe just different styles.

#322 10 years ago
    Quoted from j69:

You realise Jack was a Millionaire prior to starting JJP?

LOL

There are 5,322,000 millionaires in the USA, and none of them can deliver my WOZle after 3 years.

#323 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I agree and am the same way. I don't own any non Dmd games. But its due to the rules and layout. I spend very little time staring at the Dmd while playing. And unless your ball times are less then 30 sec per ball, neither do you. Its the game, not the display, that makes for the fun. And on woz (which I own also), I don't spend any additional time looking at the display than on a Dmd game.

I see it different. For me the game is the whole package. DMD is a big part of that. Off course, i am not looking at the dmd all the time. Its not nessesary. But its fun when you shoot and some animations show up. Modes, jackpots, the music, call outs but also the DMD all adds to the atmosphere playing a pin.

The endgame animation, putting in scores, see the grand champions, etc etc etc.

And the more the screen is used the better i like it. Playing with mates will be more fun too.

If you miss a call out you can look at the screen what to do.

The more i think about it the more unmissable the DMD is to me.

#324 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Totally true.
    I can right now go and buy a regular WOZ at the distributor, in stock.
    My friends who paid for their WOZLE 3 years ago, have not received their games.

I wouldn't know, but I presume that that very same distributor put in that order for standards 3 years ago too. Yes, they're reselling it, to people now, but I know that plenty of distributors ordered at the same time as everyone else.

Or maybe it's bullshit, I'm just saying there's that side to it too.

#325 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't agree, and I'm pretty confident that if you took away DMDs for alphas that most players would scream bloody murder about their dots.
    Best pinball mod in existence now IMHO is putting a ColorDMD on your machine, it's hard to go back once you get used to it.

Color DMD's enhance the overall experience (I have them on my MM, AFM and MB), so you have a valid point in that regard. But they don't effect actual gameplay obviously. But if they enhance the overall experience, how important of a point is it that they don't have an impact on actual gameplay? Purely subjective obviously.

I've always said: I'd rather have an LCD than not have an LCD, but not having one isn't a deal breaker either.

Quoted from Aurich:

I wouldn't know, but I presume that that very same distributor put in that order for standards 3 years ago too. Yes, they're reselling it, to people now, but I know that plenty of distributors ordered at the same time as everyone else.

That's not correct. Standard Editions were not available 3 years ago to pre-order.

#326 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I presume that that very same distributor put in that order for standards 3 years ago too. Yes, they're reselling it, to people now, but I know that plenty of distributors ordered at the same time as everyone else.

Nope.

When money got tight, suddenly Jack said they were going to start selling some regular WOZ, before everyone got their LE that they paid for, because it was "good for pinball".

#327 10 years ago
    Quoted from cichlid:

Nope.
    When money got tight, suddenly Jack said they were going to start selling some regular WOZ, before everyone got their LE that they paid for, because it was "good for pinball".

Yea. When I posted about this a few months ago, when I was able to pick mine up just sitting in stock, jack and the distributor came up with a public and convenient lie. I knew it was false but wasn't able to present why I knew that without breaking a lot of friend confidences. Now the truth is out.

#328 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

That's not correct. Standard Editions were not available 3 years ago to pre-order.

Man, I'm really not trying to suddenly start defending Jack here, but my understanding was the distributors were able to swap their LE orders for standards. I dunno WTF really happens in Jersey, so I'll shut my mouth now, I just want people who ordered to get their games, sucks that they haven't.

#329 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Man, I'm really not trying to suddenly start defending Jack here, but my understanding was the distributors were able to swap their LE orders for standards. I dunno WTF really happens in Jersey, so I'll shut my mouth now, I just want people who ordered to get their games, sucks that they haven't.

Ya this is a lie they told a couple months ago. But now there are so many standards in stock that I don't think they're even trying to maintain it any longer.

#330 10 years ago

29% of Pinsiders polled so far say the LCD is coming in 2014!

Do you agree?

If so, what theme will the machine have?

images-11-518.jpegimages-11-518.jpeg
    #331 10 years ago
    Quoted from j69:

You realise Jack was a Millionaire prior to starting JJP?

Indeed, was.

2 weeks later
    #332 10 years ago

Will Mustang have an LCD?
    Probably not!

Anyone happy to speculate which Stern pinnie will be the first with an LCD?

Superman in 2014?

Queen in 2015?

Star Wars in 2016?

X in Y?

Unknown-1-630.jpegUnknown-1-630.jpeg
    #333 10 years ago

According to news at expo, the next game is the last dmd. So assuming mustang is next its DMD.
    The game after mustang will have an LCD.

It would be hard to believe there would be 2 car games back to back, so maybe they will go with a backup plan...

#334 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Will Mustang have an LCD?
    Probably not!
    Anyone happy to speculate which Stern pinnie will be the first with an LCD?
    Superman in 2014?
    Queen in 2015?
    Star Wars in 2016?
    X in Y?

Unknown-1-630.jpeg 5 KB

Who cares? Wait & see

#335 10 years ago

I still think the answer to this question is "never".

#336 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I still think the answer to this question is "never".

Steve Ritchie says otherwise.

Besides, "never" is not realistic.

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-release-an-lcd-pinball-machine/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.