Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Astill
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

When do you change the ROMs in your machines ? Whenever a newer version is available, when a bug is obvious or what ? Buy, upgrade, try and possibly downgrade again ?

The thing is, I'm noticing bugs in HS2. It has the L-2 Rom and newer versions exist. I'm unable to find information about what changed from L-2 to newer versions. I even found an indication that L-2 is perceived as better than later versions.

#2 12 years ago

This site has some info on rom revisions but I'm afraid not much on your game.

For the rest, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMO.

http://www.pinballrom.com/tech/wpcroms.html

Post edited by Apekop : Hmmm, seem to have forgotten the link. Sorry.

#3 12 years ago

I have a ROM burner so I always upgrade to the latest version to take advantage of any bug fixes. There are a few instances where you have to upgrade, such as with Jurassic Park. In Jurassic Park, they changed the way the T-Rex's right/left motor works to prevent gears from stripping. But usually there is no reason you have to upgrade except for wanting to have the latest version and its fixes to any bugs and rule changes.

#4 12 years ago

I tend to always put the latest in my games...I figure there was a good reason for the efforts to develop a new rom

#5 12 years ago

I have L-2 in my HS2, and like you I found the consensus to be that L-2 is the "least buggy". I haven't run into anything yet that I can't live with. As long as you don't have scores/settings that you want to keep, you could get multiple ROMs and play each for a while.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I tend to always put the latest in my games...I figure there was a good reason for the efforts to develop a new rom

AGREED! I have upgraded all of mine . . . and for the better! MUCH better in most cases.

#7 12 years ago

Normally, the latest code is the best. But there are some instances where it might not be such as HSII or BOP. However, there is a fix now for BOPs L7 bug.

#8 12 years ago

I change mine out for new ones when they get dusty.

#9 12 years ago

You can buy the most recent roms for The Getaway at this site. It says version L-5 is the most current but L-2 has the least amount of bugs.

http://www.pinballroms.com/eproms/wpc.html

#10 12 years ago

sorry read above

#11 12 years ago

That question doesn't have one cut and dry answer.

1) Replace them when they are bad, or missing. A lot of folks buy project games, and have to piece them together. Some older games have chip legs that tarnish, and if you pull the chip, the legs can break off. Any time there is physical damage, or a ROM is missing, you need a replacement

2) Replace them when the game is in the wrong language, most DE/Sega/Stern games were exported, and when they were brought back in, they were in the wrong language

3) Replace them when features are added, or bugs are fixed - WMS started keeping logs of changes around ST:TNG - games before then don't really have a list of what the ROM revisions changed - so it's a guessing game in most cases.

4) Replace them just because you want to - I have customers who insist on new ROMS in any game they purchase. That's a bit excessive IMO, but I'm not going to turn the business away.

Hypothetical example: Customer asks me what changed between Pinbot L-4 and L-5? I don't know. It could be something major, or a European distributor could've complained that something was spelled wrong, so they fixed it and released an updated ROM. US customer buys replacement Pinbot ROMS, installs them, and finds no difference. Well, that's because the change is in the German part of the ROM, and you won't notice unless you change the game to German. The same applies to diagnostics or audits. Perhaps there was a misspelling, or a test that you will likely never use could've had a bug fixed, etc.

9 years later
#12 2 years ago

Hi! It’s Dave Astill of pinballrom.com
The old links on this thread are not working (from my old-lost website).

All my ROMS are listed on my new site. Bonus that they are also on sale 20% off until September 30/21.
Check my new site out.
pinballrom.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 72.50
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-replace-roms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.