(Topic ID: 77073)

What's a fair operating price/agreement?

By 320Gigabytes

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by btw75
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I didn't know what subforum to put this in, but I really need some help. I'm completely inexperienced with operating machines on location. For starters, I don't know what to charge/agree to.

What deal do you guys go for when working with someone to put a machine on location? What about multiple machines at a single location? What about 10-20 machines at a single location?

Can anyone with operating experience chime in and help out? If you don't want to post something public on here, you can PM me, and I would be very thankful! I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with this "opportunity".

#2 10 years ago

I would assume 50/50 maybe 60/40 60 going to you.

#3 10 years ago

50/50 - They are paying for the electricity and square footage. You are paying for time and parts to keep it running.

Make sure you get a license and declare an LLC. Otherwise some kid will put his fist through the glass, sue you and take your house.

#4 10 years ago

Do you know how to fix machines if there is a problem?If not you need a guy who will fix them for you.You also have a metal ball bumping into a lot of plastic pieces.Those pieces brake, and they can be costly.Because of those 2 reasons I suggest 60/40 split if you can get it, in your favor.If you can fix machines go to 50 50 splitIf you cant fix a problem I suggest you don't get involved.My brother can fix machines and charges $ 250 dollars to walk in the door.Im in NYC though.If you do ill buy the route from you when its time to sell.
    Multiple machines in 1 location is better for ,but start with 1 and keep putting in more gradually . You can see every month which machine does not do well and you can replace or even remove it and take it somewhere else.People tend to go to a place that has a nice variety of games.

#6 10 years ago

I don't have a problem fixing machines. In fact, the first machines I got were broken in transit (thanks NAVL), and before I could play them I had to fix them. If it weren't for a patient and honest pinsider that sold them to me, pointing me in the right direction and providing me with great pinball repair resources (thanks Nils! And I'm serious on this one!) I would have left the hobby before I had even gotten into it.

I probably enjoy fixing machines as much as playing them.

What's this about an LLC though? Does the establishment not have liability insurance against something like that?

And I know it's a hypothetical, but there won't be any children at this establishment. 21 and up barcade, with a focus on pinball, but as of now I would be the sole operator.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

Does the establishment not have liability insurance against something like that?

His policy does NOT cover you (even if he says it does).

You need your OWN policy to cover your own ass.

#8 10 years ago

I would suggest 75/25, hard to make any real money operating pins at 50/50 these days.

#9 10 years ago

You need more than 50% if it is pins only. I'd suggest 70-75% for pins, they require a ton more maintenance than anything else. You can justify it to the owner due to the fact that pins bring in customers. Other games get played while people are there, but people don't come to the location because you have a claw machine sitting in the corner.

#10 10 years ago

I used to run some games on the west coast, and for pinballs had a 60/40 split on the first hundred and then 70/30 on the remainder.

#11 10 years ago

LLCs are different in every state - in fact I think some states have different names for them. In Texas, where it is a ~$350 set of paperwork you can do online, or pay someone more to do it for you. *I'M NOT A LAWYER* - *I* chose to do my own (3) because my single person and small partnership ones were very easy. If there was any thing complicated about the business end of the operating company I'd ask a lawyer and an accountant for a consult. The accountant would probably want to know approximately how much you'd expect to be spending and receiving in order to select the right structure.

An LLC is NOT insurance - you might want that as well. Just contact some insurance agents and have them explain what they can offer. What an LLC (I'm not a lawyer) should do is create a liability shield for you, meaning the worst that can happen (apart from some sort of criminal negligence) would be that you lose your business, but not your personal assets.

Don't take free information for more than it is - ask professionals in your state. Many things to consider for legal protection, taxes, and insurance.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-fair-operating-priceagreement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.