Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

popeye.jpeg
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 years ago

To me, all of my pins are keepers, except for CV. The last pin to go would be my Scared Stiff.

#52 12 years ago

Keepers: TC TZ, TAFG and MM.
    Found new owners for: LOTR and TSPP

#53 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

You just need some more time on it Binks...

That's what he said.

#54 12 years ago
    Quoted from ThePostmaster:

My keeper is TFTC. It's got plenty of shots, and is fun to play. It keeps me coming back to try and get to wizard mode.
    My overrated game is NF. It's a fun game, and always in some sort of mode, but to me, it's just ramp shots. No pop bumpers, no drop targets.

It's got one drop target!

#55 12 years ago
    Quoted from LITZ:

Keepers: TC TZ, TAFG and MM.

I like your euphemism, LITZ!

I hate to be snarky (?) but i think the term overrated is way overused in this hobby for something as subjective as pinball preferences. It implies that your opinion is correct and all the others are wrong. Can't we all just accept different tastes without having a ten threads a week bashing particular machines?

#56 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

LITZ said:Keepers: TC TZ, TAFG and MM.
    I like your euphemism, LITZ!
    I hate to be snarky (?) but i think the term overrated is way overused in this hobby for something as subjective as pinball preferences. It implies that your opinion is correct and all the others are wrong. Can't we all just accept different tastes without having a ten threads a week bashing particular machines?

Yep, it is all PINBALL after all! I am glad other ppl have collections here locally that are not a mirror image of mine.... Because of this fact and meeting other Pinsiders in the past few months I have played excellent examples of IJ, SM, LOTR LE, KISS, PoB, Covette, HSII, Taxi, Stargate, Atlantis, Diner, Earthshaker, Cyclone, Whirlwind, MB, SS, EATPM, and Jokerz.

Just because I would not want to own any of the above titles does not mean I don't mind playing ones that have been modded, restored, shopped and playing 100% I am really looking forward to Abscountry2 getting his douche WOZLE (sorry could not help myself) in May and playing a few games on NGG, and TS which is one of the pins he recently acquired.

So yes I agree the term overrated is waaay overrated.

#57 12 years ago

My Keepers - SM, Tron, LOTR, JP, JM

Overrated - TF-LE

#58 12 years ago

My keeper: T2. My favorite game.
    Overrated: JM. Couldn't make myself like it. Maybe it was just the theme. Wasn't a big fan of the glove toy either. With more time I might like it but it only stayed in my collection for a couple weeks.

#59 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

My keeper: T2. My favorite game.
    Overrated: JM. Couldn't make myself like it.

Yeah that thing is a mess.

#60 12 years ago

Pinball is personal. What one player likes another hates.

But I think this post is about overrated and underated pins

so here's my 2 cents.

Party Zone is an Under rated pin. I hated it at first but now it's a keeper with TZ and AFM and IJ

I also agree with some others here that MM is overrated. Don't get me wrong it's a great pin and I played the hell out of it but it wasn't worth the $$ so I sold it and kept AFM as I liked that a little better. I didn't feel I needed both.

#61 12 years ago

Well I cannot really pick a kepper, but overated? Hmm so many to chose from.

MM? Yes it is good, but its not 8k good. Totan and Tom? Both are very pretty but neither are great players. CC? yeah it was the last traditional b/w, but it software was never finished. Champion Pub? It is a fun game for a large collection, but man it gets boring fast.

#62 12 years ago
    Quoted from Espo66:

I think keeper is overrated!

Ha! As someone who loves switching out pins and trying something new, gotta agree with you here!

#63 12 years ago

It seems that 90% of the time when someone calls MM "overrated" it is based on the price that the pin commands. I think it is one thing to say that a pin isn't worth the price that it commands, and quite another to say that it is overrated.

My understanding of the way the term overrated is being used here is to indicate that it is rated higher than it should be *regardless of price*.

And using that standard, there is no way MM is overrated in my opinion.

#64 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It seems that 90% of the time when someone calls MM "overrated" it is based on the price that the pin commands. I think it is one thing to say that a pin isn't worth the price that it commands, and quite another to say that it is overrated.

My understanding of the way the term overrated is being used here is to indicate that it is rated higher than it should be *regardless of price*.

And using that standard, there is no way MM is overrated in my opinion.

I rate pins on what they cost. there are a lot of cheap machines I prefer over expensive machines.

So if I like fish tales (1600ish machine) over Champion Pub (sold mine for 3200) I would say Champion Pub is over rated.

Is MM good? Yes. Is it better than LOTR? TSPP? TZ? no, but it costs twice as much. The funny thing is that I have had several people who have been in the hobby longer buy games off me. They always say the same thing I like Shadow over MM. Most of them also admit they sold their MM's when it hit 6-8k, because it wasn't worth it.

I will also say that last year at ohio I put one game on it. I came to the same conclusion, its fun, but there are just too many other titles I find to be better.

#65 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

price that it commands, and quite another to say that it is overrated.

Can't agree 100% there. I think it's part of the equation. I don't own a BBB...but its it overrated? How can it not be? Plus 10K, I mean wow. I've played one before and I wasn't that impressed. Even if it was 30 on the Top100, I would still have to say it's overrated. Just my opinion.

#66 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

RobT said:price that it commands, and quite another to say that it is overrated.
    Can't agree 100% there. I think it's part of the equation. I don't own a BBB...but its it overrated? How can it not be? Plus 10K, I mean wow. I've played one before and I wasn't that impressed. Even if it was 30 on the Top100, I would still have to say it's overrated. Just my opinion.

This is supposed to be about pins you have actually owned.

#67 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Can't we all just accept different tastes without having a ten threads a week bashing particular machines?

I started this thread to get opinions of the pinside comunity. Also to see what game would be the majority overrated machine. Just wanted some frendly chat.

#68 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

This is supposed to be about pins you have actually owned.

Yes I know, which is why I stated I don't own it. The topic has now moved from the original question to a "what does overrated mean," kinda thing.

#69 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

Party Zone is an Under rated pin

There was one of these in the local bagel shop by my house growing up. Could never get enuff of that stupid game. For some reason I enjoyed it alot. THis is was replaced by RUDY (FH) I hated that talking head. I think the whole objective was to put him to sleep and make him choke on balls. Actually not that im thinking about it it was pretty funny. Make him choke on balls. lol as a kid I did not get this.

#70 12 years ago

OK, well overrated to me means a pin that gets hyped a lot but it isn't that great. TZ and AFM fall into this category for me. T2 does not, even though I was certainly happy to see it leave my collection, because I think most people on here agree that T2 is not that great (sorry Rascal).

Money really doesn't factor into it for me.... it's the fact that DW, FT and HS2 get powered on almost every night while the so-called A-listers gather dust.

#71 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

OK, well overrated to me means a pin that gets hyped a lot but it isn't that great. TZ and AFM fall into this category for me. T2 does not, even though I was certainly happy to see it leave my collection, because I think most people on here agree that T2 is not that great (sorry Rascal).
    Money really doesn't factor into it for me.... it's the fact that DW, FT and HS2 get powered on almost every night while the so-called A-listers gather dust.

Trust me, I know my tastes are different than a lot of people's. I'm ok with that. There aren't too many pins I really don't like... Just pins I wouldn't have in my collection.

#72 12 years ago

CFTBL = keeper

out of pins that I have owened DE SW was over rated

#73 12 years ago

Based on this discussion it sounds like when I take a game to a MGC next year I should leave TAF and MM at home and take RCT with me to share.

I am really surprised to hear so many people say that TAF and MM are their most overrated games.

Different strokes for different folks. For me personally, TAF and MM are keepers. I do not know that I have actually played an overrated game yet. Usually if I give a game a real chance, understand the ruleset, and am able to successfully complete a reasonable amount of tasks, I find that my ranking falls at least reasonably close to the overall pinside ranking. I just figure it is the law of averages and that when I try and be objective I typically come to the same conclusion as the average?

I can think of a few games that I am surprised do not rank higher: No fear being the most recent that comes to mind

#74 12 years ago

Agreed about NF. That one's a gem. Fast and ramps ramps ramps. What's not to like? Do we really need 3 lanes feeding into pops at this point?

I'm not a huge TAF guy even tho I have one but it does some things really well. In particular I've decided it's good because it's so incredibly upbeat. I feel like it's cheering me every step of the way. I think that's part of why it's so popular with the casual player too (my wife loves it). It makes me feel happy about what's going on. Plus it's a theme that's well known and even though the playfield art is god-awful, the translite looks good.

I get a little bit of that feeling from Tron too. They play the crowd cheers frequently as you hit things, which is awesome. My game may only last 2 minutes, but I sure pleased the audience

#75 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I think you have to apply "in my opinion" to all of the comments.

For me all the newer Stern games are overrated, but I haven't played Tron or Transformers yet. But I wasn't very impressed with the ones I've played...POTC, SM, BDK, T3, Elvis, Rolling Stones, FYG. Even LOTR was just okay, I'll have to put some more time on SM and LOTR, but overall the newer Sterns have been a letdown...in my opinion.

#76 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Is MM good? Yes. Is it better than LOTR? TSPP? TZ? no,

The thing about MM is that it can appeal to all levels of players. Its has a simple enough objective that the novice player can understand & it has a good ruleset that the better player can try to work through. Thats the great thing about MM you can play a quick game just going for some castles & trying to stack some of the madness's or if you want to try for a longer game you can try to reach BFTK. Put a MM next to TSPP, LOTR or TZ on location & it would probably out earn it by atleast 2 to 1.

A game doesnt have to have a super deep rule sheet to be a great game. Is it worth 10k? Who knows, but it seems you wont find many nice ones for much less anymore.

#77 12 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

SM = keeper
    I do not have an overrated pin

lol I was thinking the same thing.

I wish you would have asked under-rated.

Keeper: Most of them, but I'd say MM
    Overrated: No comment.
    Under-rated: Avatar LE

#78 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

A game doesnt have to have a super deep rule sheet to be a great game.

IM fits this to a "T".
    I will agree with smassa on the MM angle. Why else would there be a line at any convention just to play it? It really has the best of both worlds for beginners and veterans alike... AFM too.
    Do I think they should command $10K to own a decent example of one? I'd have to say "HELL NO!"
    Give me four to six other "good" pins for the same price.

I agree though,
    Using the term "overrated" is getting really overrated...

#79 12 years ago

I honestly think calling MM "overrated" is all internet phenomenon as EVERY in real life opinion I have heard is, "that is the coolest pinball game I have ever played!" and is usually followed by, "can I play it again?"

Pretty much every single pinhead and the full spectrum of people I have had over to play thus far all LOVE MM.

Heck, since my non-pinhead pinball tournament a few weeks ago all I hear from my coworkers is them asking when they can come over and play MM. For me, that response alone is well worth the over 10k price tag.

#80 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I rate pins on what they cost. there are a lot of cheap machines I prefer over expensive machines.

So if I like Fish Tales (1600ish machine) over Champion Pub (sold mine for 3200) I would say Champion Pub is over rated.

I understand you may prefer some cheaper games over more expensive ones. That means that one may be *overpriced*, which does not necessarily mean *overrated*.

Obviously the better a pin is and the higher it is rated, generally speaking it will cost more. But again, the price of a pin should not really have a bearing on whether it is overrated (on the Pinside Top 100 for example). How does the pin look, sound, play, is it deep, humorous, fun, etc. That's what a pin is rated on, not price. Price is a by product of those things, combined with supply and demand. Supply and demand (and therefore price) doesn't make a pin overrated....but it may make it overpriced.

If you agree that MM is the best pin ever made, can you also say that it is overrated? By definition, no, you can't.....even if it sells for a million bucks.

#81 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This really doesn't make sense to me. Probably repeating myself, but really, who cares what it costs in terms of whether it is overrated? This thread isn't about what pins are *overpriced*, or not worth the asking price etc. Its about whether a pin is overrated (ie not worthy of it's high praise).

You are basically admitting above that you don't care how good BBB is, it's "overrated" to you simply because of the price, regardless of how it plays etc. "How could it not be" simply because of price, right?

Its the same thing that most people do with MM: they think it's overrated simply because it costs so much. People can't be objective because the price is always stuck in their head, and they can't get over it.

#82 12 years ago

I think by "over rated", the question asks which machines are over valued for their enjoyability. This is highly subjective!

For example AFM and MM play almost the same. Both can appeal to an inexperienced player or an expert player. However one is $6K and the other $9500 in similar condition. If both are equally appealing, the pricier one would be over rated IMHO. Never mind less supply, or any other factors. We are just talking about what you get and what it will cost you.

I would personally prefer to play a collection mostly over rated machines. I just dont want to necessarily pay 40% more, for example, for a machine that I might enjoy 5% more. Get the point?

Nobody says an over rated machine is bad, it just commands a premium that exceeds its enjoyability factor.

#83 12 years ago

surprised at the amount of people that think AFM is overrated.
    I don't own the machine but must of spent at least $250 on playing it in college as it was in the game room in my dorm. I never tired of it. Played it again at the NPM and still love it.

#84 12 years ago

I have many keepers that I'd never sell:

MM
    Orbitor 1
    Farfalla
    Cheetah
    Haunted House
    Blach Hole
    Mephisto
    Frontiersman
    The list goes on...
    So hard to pick a number one though... probably Farfalla, it has it all! (only beats MM because the sounds and artwork are better)... MM surely has a deeper rule set... that's why it's so hard to choose, different pins are great for different reasons...

#85 12 years ago

Rob T your correct with your comment. When I started this thread and asked what pin do you think is overrated i was not talking about price whatsoever. Lets say MM for an ex. Is this game great to play? Or is it all Hype? Price has nothing to do with it. Priced is based off of supply and demand (look at tronLE, BBB and MM). Highly sought after pins will command a large price tag and thats not what we are talking about. Please let this clear up the overrated discussion and keep to the subject..thx

#86 12 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Rob T your correct with your comment. When I started this thread and asked what pin do you think is overrated i was not talking about price whatsoever. Lets say MM for an ex. Is this game great to play? Or is it all Hype? Price has nothing to do with it. Priced is based off of supply and demand (look at tronLE, BBB and MM). Highly sought after pins will command a large price tag and thats not what we are talking about. Please let this clear up the overrated discussion and keep to the subject..thx

Thanks for clearing that up once and for all.

#87 12 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

surprised at the amount of people that think AFM is overrated.

I love AFM myself, but I can understand why some people think that it is overrated. The layout is as basic as you can possibly get! There are no unique or particularly difficult shots.

Despite the above, I still think it is a great pin. The theme, call outs, art, humor, and even the simple rules all come together to make a really fun pin.

#88 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

This really doesn't make sense to me. Probably repeating myself, but really, who cares what it costs in terms of whether it is overrated?

You are repeating yourself, and I will probably repeat myself if we keep going on. We don;t agree on the fundamental points of what makes pinball overrated. Therefore you always see me as wrong and you as right. So agree to disagree.

#89 12 years ago

LOTR - Keeper.

TOTAN - Overrated. I had mine for 8 weeks. It's a pretty game, there's no doubt about that, but I have had much better games than that one.

#90 12 years ago

better is better independent of price. if you don't want to pay 50-100 more for an a title that you only like 10% more, that doesn't make the game any less great. I believe this is the law of diminishing returns if i remember correctly???

#91 12 years ago

Overpriced has nothing to do with overrated.

#92 12 years ago

Keeper: TSPP, reasoning for me is depth. Not a popular view by a lot of people, but to me depth is fun. I like knowing that I haven't (and probably never will) beat this game. I have fun trying to accomplish certain tasks instead of just going for a high score.

Overrated: I can't really say either of my remaining pins are overrated in my opinion. Flash and Pinbot, both pretty low on the top 100. I think they're probably about right where they should be right now.

Post edited by Deaconblooze : economic ramble

#93 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You are repeating yourself, and I will probably repeat myself if we keep going on. We don;t agree on the fundamental points of what makes pinball overrated. Therefore you always see me as wrong and you as right. So agree to disagree.

Well, since the OP has clarified that this thread has nothing to do with the price of the pin being part of whether it is overrated, your definition is obviously not consistent with his or the point of the thread.

Just sayin'.

#94 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

better is better independent of price. if you don't want to pay 50-100 more for an a title that you only like 10% more, that doesn't make the game any less great. I believe this is the law of diminishing returns if i remember correctly???

Bingo.

#95 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Well, since the OP has clarified that this thread has nothing to do with the price of the pin being part of whether it is overrated, your definition is obviously not consistent with his or the point of the thread.
    Just sayin'.

Good job!

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-keeper-overrated/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.