What is your Keeper / overrated

Started 2 years ago by 6S3NC3 in forum All PinballAll Pinball.

Forum » All Pinball » Topic

What is your Keeper / overrated

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by 6S3NC3
  • 60 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from TheLaw

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years ago
    #

I just wanted to see everyones thoughts about this. I want to know what pin you own is your #1 keeper for the playability and fun factor. Please dont list a keeper bc of value reason. and what pin have you purchased that you thought was overrated. Give reasons.

My keeper is LOTR. Great rules and as you progress through the game it just keeps getting better and better. Im not a huge fan of the movies but this just keeps me coming back and never gets dull.

My overrated would have to be TAF. Well a great game to play a few on but after a few the music and repetitive quotes start to get to me. Very simple game. Cant stand the finger snapping! Its like fingernails on a chalk board to me.

2 years ago
    #

My keeper is TFTC. It's got plenty of shots, and is fun to play. It keeps me coming back to try and get to wizard mode.

My overrated game is NF. It's a fun game, and always in some sort of mode, but to me, it's just ramp shots. No pop bumpers, no drop targets.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: SM - Great flow, good speed. Deep enough to be a real challenge. Great music and I like that there are a couple of quotes for each shot, so they don't get annoying.

Surprise Keeper: Corvette. Fast and flowy with a short ball times and a simple rule set yet is challenging enough for me that I haven't been able to get to the wizard mode yet. Keeps me playing just one more game and usually the one I start up first.

Overated: TAF In its day it was groundbreaking. But now, there are just many more which are better IMO. If it was put out 10 years later I don't think it would have sold as many.

2 years ago
    #
    ThePostmaster said:

My overrated game is NF. It's a fun game, and always in some sort of mode, but to me, it's just ramp shots. No pop bumpers, no drop targets.

Interesting, that's pretty much exactly why I like NF!

2 years ago
    #

Tough... I seem to have a lot of keepers
    IJ will never go and TAF is in the same boat for me. That game and I just have too much history.

I think AFM is overrated. I like it, but I prefer my MM and they're much too similar despite what others might say. I actually think it may be on the trade block later this year of I can find the right deal for it.

2 years ago
    #

SM = keeper
    I do not have an overrated pin

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: TZ. I would never sell it.

OR: Non for me yet. The time will come though.

2 years ago
    #

The keeper game for me (that I didn't keep) was Funhouse. If I ever get another, it WILL be kept. I should say that Black Hole was my first pin (27 pins ago) and we still have it, so I guess it is a keeper.

Funny I have to agree on TAF. I owned one (got a GREAT deal) played it for a while, then moved it. Do not miss it at all. It just doesn't do it for me for the price it commands.

2 years ago
    #

Hey,

If someone was like, "Well, Luke, get rid of them all but one", I'd probably keep Pin*Bot kicking around. I just like that game. Has some character to it. Yes, the DMD games I own have more going on, but I wouldn't necessarily say that makes them better.

In regard to overrated? I owned a pretty much pristine Black Knight for a couple of months. Which is kind of like that guy who has the super-hot wife, and then you realize she has the personality of a 2x4. "Look at me, I'm the Black Knight! I'm really really fast! And...I'm really really fast!" And NOTHING else.

Luke

2 years ago
    #

TZ, my grail!

2 years ago
    #

Keeper game is AFM because it is fast and fun and has many laugh out loud quotes. Great for novice or expert. Looks great, plays great and did I mention humor?

Pin I nearly bought was a SM NIB but played it loads and just cannot see why it is now top 10.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper => LOTR

It was the first pin I bought and has stood as my favorite pin of all time ever since. Barring financial calamity it will never leave. It integrates theme with gameplay better than any other pin I've ever encountered.

Overrated => IJ (W)

The only pin I've ever gotten rid of. Don't get me wrong. It is a good machine. Just not top 5/10 good. I'm much happier having SM take it's place.

2 years ago
    #

Whitewater is the keeper
    LOTR is overrated

2 years ago
    #

Keeper for me is TZ. Traded it off for a nice LOTR. Instantly regretted the trade. Wound up putting LOTR on the block for a trade for TZ or a TAF. Got a TAF and just a much better game in my most humble of opinions. Finally found another TZ and its not going anywhere along with the TAF. Either game (TZ or TAF) leaves me wanting one more game.

Over-rated= LOTR. Although theres just tons of goals, tons upon tons of shots, theres just not tons of fun for me. To deep, long and every game is just an epic quest. After a game, I was tired of playing it. To long and to serious. Same mutli balls over and over again. Get the three multis, destroy the ring. DTR is fun though, I have to admit. Playing the game is almost a chore and your exhausted after it. Not a game that I can play two three games in a row on. Which is surprising in that Im a HUGE Tolkien buff and have been for years. Read and re-read the trilogy several times. Loved the movies and the pins artwork and PF is gorgeous! Just cant stand to play it.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper Barracora: So simple so much fun!
    Overrated TSPP: Little flow complicated deep rules but no real direction or goal. Shoot the garage enough times and things just seem to happen...

2 years ago
    #

Keeper SM
    Overrated TAF & IJ

2 years ago
    #

keeper LOTR

Overrated TAF

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: TSPP (only pin that I own) Yeah, I know.

Overrated: If I had to choose, I known people are going to hate me for it, but I'm going with MM. The castle shots are too repetitive, the quotes are funny, but they get tiring after a bit, the trolls are way too clunky, do I need to continue? I think AFM was Brian Eddy's best work.

2 years ago
    #
    kwiKimart said:

Keeper: TSPP (only pin that I own) Yeah, I know.
    Overrated: If I had to choose, I known people are going to hate me for it, but I'm going with MM. The castle shots are too repetitive, the quotes are funny, but they get tiring after a bit, the trolls are way too clunky, do I need to continue?...

i agree, i was gonna say MM But TAF is (for me) the same thing.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: SM, it's a great game and my wife gave it to me for our 4th anniversary.

Overrated: MM. Fun game but somehow it has doubled and tripled the price of other titles that are equally entertaining.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: Very hard to choose but likely SM

Overrated: Sold both CV and TSPP. Both highly rated both way overrated.

TAF gets no love but from me. Great game.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper spiderman

Overrated whitewater

Out of all the pins I have ever owned ww was the shortest, 48 hours hate the pin

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: spiderman with mods

Overrated: LotR

2 years ago
    #
    kwiKimart said:

Overrated: If I had to choose, I known people are going to hate me for it, but I'm going with MM. The castle shots are too repetitive, the quotes are funny, but they get tiring after a bit, the trolls are way too clunky, do I need to continue? I think AFM was Brian Eddy's best work.

I would have agreed 6 months ago. I almost traded mine; now I wouldn't dare. I think MM comes off as very simple; leaving you wondering why it's so coveted. But, the castle is only one of the many goals in this pin. Once you've played it a lot and really gotten into this game, you might change your mind. I find a lot of negative reviews come from people who've played it a couple of times.
    I think it's also so similar to AFM that you get a lot of people either preferring one or the other. AFM is faster, MM has a better theme and appearance IMO. It's a toss-up.

I like "mode" games like IJ or TAF so I had a hard time warming up to some of the repetition of MM. Also, most here won't like to admit it, but I think a lot of newer (very popular) Stern titles were modelled in some ways after games like MM. Stacking ramp goals, repetitive shot up the middle on a PF toy that eventually reveals a hidden shot... ring any bells? But none of those sell for over $10k so they don't get the criticism. Then, I don't think any pin should cost that kind of coin, so by definition I guess it is a bit "overrated" from a financial POV.

Needles to say, I've seen more BBB for sale in the last few months here than MM. Just sayin'

2 years ago
    #

BSD ,, " Love Never Dies "

TZ ,, # 1 Pin, but # 2 in my Book !! My 2- Keeper's !!!

2 years ago
    #

MB: I don't care if it's "easy" (and trust me, you can set it up so it ain't!), it's my grail and never leaving. Greatest pin ever IMHO.

TSPP: Overrated. I just really did not like this one, and I love me some Simpsons.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper AFM

Overrated none currently IMO they are all so much fun to play =-)

For the price I sure miss my TFTC and take five.

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,270,873 3
    2 years ago
    #

Well knowing my history it is hard to say that any pin is a keeper for me, but so far I've owned SM the longest, TRON LE really keeps me coming back for more, and MB is just a lot of fun.

I haven't owned it, and don't plan to, but TAF is very overrated.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper TF LE

Over rated cv,ij,tz

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: DW

Overrated: Are we talking about pins I actually still own? Then, uh, none of them. So who wants to pay stupid amounts of money for TZ or AFM?

2 years ago
    #

TZ was my first game. It's still my favorite, and it's the one machine I would actually consider sending to HEP at some point.

2 years ago
    #

Gweem, way to start a collection! When I grow up I'm gonna get a TZ someday.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper would be Rollergames if I had to get rid of them all and keep just one. I own overated pins but don't want to get rid of any of them. I'd say the most overrated pin I've ever owned in the past was Jackbot. Some people talk that game up but I had enough of it I about a month.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper - LOTR

Overated - SM

2 years ago
    #

Keeper, BK2K. This game is just fast and furious pinball joy that has a great balance of risk vs. Reward. It has sentimental value to me as the first pin ever played too. But I play it the most and it just doesn't get old.

Of MY pins, the most overrated would be.... If I HAVE to choose. Firepower. But it is phenomenal for it's era. It's just really simple. And while that's part of it's charm. I think it is a touch overrated though.

Of all pins I have played. I think TAF is the most overrated. It's neat, but I think I would probably trade it after a while.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper - Twilight Zone. It's endlessly fun to me and it has so many satisfying shots.

Overrated - Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure. It's a gorgeous game to look at, but it's a little clunky due to how close to the flippers a lot of the shots are located. There's tons of modes, but I just don't love the overall flow of the game all that much.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper is my Funhouse. We have a lot of history, it's well-liked in the house with my girls, and it's a landmark machine that's easy to play for all. And it's still reasonably priced.

AFM to me is overrated. So repetitive. Granted I don't own own. Maybe I should buy one and play it to death and maybe it I'll change my mind.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: SM/MM tie

Overrated: CC

2 years ago
    #

When I get a TZ it will be my keeper. For now its my WW .

2 years ago
    #

Im a bit thrown back by all the overrated comments. TAF haha. I was thinking everyone but me loved this pin.

2 years ago
    #

I think keeper is overrated!

I just sold my keeper, and that would be Fish Tales.
    Fish Tales has only a few shots, but they are so well integrated. They are tight, and have more than one purpose. I like how the game sneaks up on you. Before you know it, you have 2 or 3 things going...lots of timed shots. Hard JP shots. Love the Theme...

Overrated: Funhouse. I owned it and really just never bonded with it. Lots of the shots were at weird angles and just did not feel satisfying. Very clunky too. Advance time and put Rudy to sleep..not much else to do. I thought roadshow was a thousand times better.

I got a good offer on FT, so I sold it with the thought that I would re-acquire it some day. Unless you have a prime example of a hard to get game, I'm not in love with the idea of "Keepers". They often times sit un-played because you know they are great games, but you will keep them, even if unplayed, for the simple fact that they are great games and should be in your keeper slot. As soon as you're liberated from this burden, you will end up playing more pinball, since you will let go of the "keeper" for a fresh game...that you may even like better. All IMO, of course, but you can always go back and get the ones that you really liked again later.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: TOTAN

Overated: SS

2 years ago
    #

I only have 1 machines so I really can't comment on my collection choice

But, & I know I am going to get a lot of sh!t for this ...
    I had a chance to play a few games of BBB this weekend at the National Pinball Museum and from everything I hear about it I expected the second coming. It was OK but I actually enjoyed Stern's Avatar (played on same day) much more.

I know, I know ... maybe my expectations were too high.

2 years ago
    #

Keeper: AFM - Players of all skill can play it differently (saucer kills vs. RTU)
    OR: WH2O / CV - Just never got into either.

2 years ago
    #
    BMore-Pinball said:

But, & I know I am going to get a lot of sh!t for this ...
    I had a chance to play a few games of BBB this weekend at the National Pinball Museum and from everything I hear about it I expected the second coming. It was OK but I actually enjoyed Stern's Avatar (played on same day) much more.

You're not alone. I wasn't impressed by BBB either. Looks great, but isn't fun to play.

2 years ago
    #
    jarjarisgod said:

but isn't fun to play

Im a bit surprised. This has been a pin I have always wanted to play and never had the opportunity to. Well you have lowered my expectations.

2 years ago
    #
    jarjarisgod said:

I wasn't impressed by BBB either. Looks great, but isn't fun to play.

You just need some more time on it Binks...
    Who can really master riding a Unicorn after just one try?

2 years ago
    #

Keepers: Doctor Who, AFM, FGY
    Overrated: TAF, TZ, MM

2 years ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

You just need some more time on it

Same can be said for many games that get dissed. You almost need to own a game to truly know for sure its a dud. I found BBB fun just not 15k fun or even 6k fun, more like 3k fun and that's what it would be going for it there was 5k of them made.

I still haven't played a pin that's 15k fun yet. Maybe ZA will be, who know?

2 years ago
    #

Same can be said for many games that get dissed.

I agree,
    I know people that SWEAR by Popeye's gameplay... GI too.
    WH2O had that effect on me when I first played it.
    I was like- "This game sucks, no flow whatsoever!"
    It took about 12 solid games to finally discover what I was missing. (The WH2O flow.)

Different strokes, for different folks.

"Now the world don't move..."

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple