(Topic ID: 10841)

What games have the best pop-bumper action?

By Dewey68

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1203141754a.jpg
image-6.jpg
image-12.jpg
firepower2.jpg
DSC01632.jpg

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 12 years ago

Which games do you think either have the hardest and longest pop-bumper action, or the best in some other way?

Of the games I've played, Taxi is my favorite. With some nudging you can hit the joyride, carry passenger or just spell C-A-B. Maybe because it's older and has a more open playfield it makes for better pop-bumper action. The LCA I had had really hard bumpers, that thing could get the ball really flying!

#3 12 years ago

my afm are super fast , ij also

#4 12 years ago

T2 always did it for me...

#5 12 years ago

In many games I have seen the pops simply needed to be rebuilt to obtain the fast action again. The wafers tend to get chewed up and they become non-responsive. Not exactly what you asked about but rebuilding them can really change the gameplay.

#6 12 years ago

Gottlieb genie has some pretty good pops

#7 12 years ago

T2 and IJ are great.

#8 12 years ago

Pinball Magic. One pop but sounds like a machine gun when it gets going.

#9 12 years ago

I really like CV when the boom balloon is up, because if you get 15 hits on the boom balloon you get an extra ball. This leads to some interesting strategy where you loft a ball up into the pops, or around the spin loop and against the boom balloon. The pop bumper action can send the ball into the Ring Master for Ring Master hits, or into the Menagerie for Menagerie hits, or down the right inlane/outlane area for the typical nudge fest that you must do to keep from draining.

I also like the 5 pops in TAF. They make for a lot of action, and the "Raise the Dead" mode where you try to get 4 hits on each pop bumper is a really cool mode.

Other than those, TZ's pop bumpers always have my heart in my throat as I try to determine if I'm gonna have to give the machine a last second nudge to try to save a left outlane or SDTM drain. A lot of people don't like the location of these pops, but no other set of pops give me the same "heart in the throat" nervous feeling as TZ's, and I like it.

#10 12 years ago

The pops on my CFTBL are so active I sometimes get frustrated that the ball gets stuck up there for so long. I can often get P-A-I-D spelled just from the pops sending the ball back up through the lanes.

#11 12 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot about picking up Santa when he's lit in Taxi as well!

#12 12 years ago

Bugs Bunny pinball-the ball drop from the ramp in the center of the three bumbers and even the ball try to leave that place,have a slingshot that in most of the times hit the ball and return it to tha bumpers

#13 12 years ago

Would WH20 be a candidate if both posts are removed?

#14 12 years ago

I have seen the pop bumpers on a Bride of Pinbot simply fly as they were amazingly fast!

#15 12 years ago

I once had a Flintstones pin and if you could hit a sweet spot in between the bumpers and surrounding rubber the ball would stay up there forever.

Well it felt like forever, very amusing.... and the points just keep going up!!!!

thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump.

#16 12 years ago

My DE SW rattles the ball around pretty well.

#17 12 years ago

TAF love when the ball goes crazy in the graveyard.

#18 12 years ago

Goin' Nuts by far. Since most people will never see one, you can play it on the Gottlieb video game.

#19 12 years ago

How about NGG. Seems like the ball flys around in there and also gives you the nervousness of it getting kicked out to one of the outlanes.

#20 12 years ago

Another vote for AFM

#21 12 years ago

I always get a lot of pop action in Space Shuttle, lighting USA over and over for huge multipliers.

#22 12 years ago

I like them on Who Dunnit because each hit nudges the slot reels in the playfield.

#23 12 years ago

A lot of poeple complained about the Avatar pops - said the ball stayed too long up there. ...but I like 'em.

#24 12 years ago

I'm big on TZ, Taxi, and AC/DC so far on those bumpers and their ability to inspire terror. Actually Taxi is tame on the bumpers, they're just fun. Whirlwind has a lot of fun bumper action going on as well.

#25 12 years ago

cftbl the ball get up in em and stays for a while frustrating due to sometimes the timers run out on modes if ya shoot it up there accidently

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

How about NGG. Seems like the ball flys around in there and also gives you the nervousness of it getting kicked out to one of the outlanes.

+1

#27 12 years ago

Fastest Pop-Bumper's that i've seen and Owned are ,,, BSD , ES , TZ , AFM ,, Hmmm !!

#28 12 years ago

Surprised no one has said Taxi.

#29 12 years ago

The pops on IJ get pretty wild, at least on mine.

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Surprised no one has said Taxi.

It was in the first post kwiKi!

I vote for Space Shuttle as well!

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Pinball Magic. One pop but sounds like a machine gun when it gets going.

Yes, the POP is in the stage area and when it gets going the pop can go 10, 30, 40 pops and yes it sounds like machine gunning.
Awesome POP action, unlike any other pin.

Also Space Shuttle upper left , 3 Pops, very good action.

#32 12 years ago

BoP.Ball is "contained" in that area with a slingshot kicker to feed/push it back.Great action.Scott

#33 12 years ago

AFM with the 1.1ROM, Taxi, TZ with a fresh flipper rebuild... but maybe because your dreading where it comes out so much.

#34 12 years ago

I think one of the most interesting use of pops is in Sharp Shooter from Game Plan. Those two pops down by the flippers make for the most unpredictable action, and since it is right near the flippers, you better have quick reflexes!

#35 12 years ago

Let's not forget the Beast's Lair in Paragon. ...a very unique use of a pop bumper.

DSC01632.jpgDSC01632.jpg
(this picture was taken BEFORE my restoration)

#36 12 years ago

On BSD they are pretty critical and fast. You need them to get a decent Bat Bonus, and the BB is an important aspect of a high score.

#37 12 years ago

I like the Pops on PB. They're contained, so there is a lot of random effect from them, but they can really get some good action going. It gives you some time to see that Energy Value grow.

#38 12 years ago

at Tatman's party, I was playing his Cactus Canyon....And I would be able to take a break from the game by getting it to the pop-bumpers. The ball would be up there for like 2 minutes at a time.

#39 12 years ago

I find how clean the bumps are and how sensitive they are set plays a big role, but out of all my games Strange Science actually gets the wildest. They are close together, and are bordered by some rubber rings to keep the ball in there. The ball really rips around in there sometimes.

#40 12 years ago

It's not on everyone's wish list but 1978 Bally Star Trek has 3 pop bumpers that give this game
one of the most active parts on the playfield.

They kick the ball up to the top of the game and into the saucer kickout hole, and around
to the left of the top orbit where the rollovers are, which hitting them several times gives the
"same player shoots again" feature.

Without the 3 pop bumpers on this pin it would be a really really boring pin.

#41 12 years ago

Fish Tales has the super bumper feature that cranks out 500,000 per hit if you get the randomly chosen "fish finder" bonuses. It changes the sound to a really souped up space age kinda noise. If you get that ball rattling around in those things....cha ching!

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I like them on WHO dunnit because each hit nudges the slot reels in the playfield.

+1 for W?D, especially having the revolver during multiball, the pop bumpers can really build the jackpot, I've had 300k before. Killer score booster!

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Let's not forget the Beast's Lair in Paragon. ...a very unique use of a pop bumper.

Attachments DSC01632.jpg (604.1 KB, 0 downloads) 3 hours old

I've never seen this pin, that's pretty wicked!

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

SunKing said:Let's not forget the Beast's Lair in Paragon. ...a very unique use of a pop bumper.
Attachments DSC01632.jpg (604.1 KB, 0 downloads) 3 hours old
I've never seen this pin, that's pretty wicked!

Yeah, that was a good call there. That's actually what made me first take interest in this pin. Had to have it when I saw that. Great art, and a lot going on for an older pin. Awesome game.

#45 12 years ago

I recently purchased a TF LE and the balls spend a lot of time in the pops, to the point of eating up my ball restart time as I've found out the hard way. It accumulates points fast, but not sure that's necessarily a good thing. On the other hand, I have a TOTAN and some games I don't even hit the pops. It takes an unusual left orbit shot to even enter the pops on TOTAN. So for my experience:

Most = TF
Least = TOTAN

#46 12 years ago

Gottlieb's Volcano has Pops right above the left and right slingshots.

1 year later
#47 11 years ago

I found myself suddenly "in" to pop bumper action. I found that a well tuned Firepower sometimes traps the ball for quite a while in the pop bumpers - walls to the upper left and upper right of the bumper area and of course and lanes immediately above.

I was actually disappointed by Whirlwind - it seems that with two banks of 3 bumpers, it ought to be great, but I found that I usually got just a few pops before it spat the ball out.

[picture from http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/firepower/firepower_pinball.htm]

firepower2.jpgfirepower2.jpg

(see at 1'24")

#48 11 years ago

Xmens Pops sure can go nuts at times.

#49 11 years ago

The bumper car pen in Comet often keeps the ball forever. It's a tight little area.

#50 11 years ago

I actually love the pops in Sorcerer because they can either help you with the rollover multiplier switches (A,B,C,D) or help you get demon or extra ball on the 3 drop targets.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
14,000 (OBO)
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.50
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 1,419.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-games-have-the-best-pop-bumper-action and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.