(Topic ID: 76078)

what color should I paint my game room? (UPDATED with after renovation walkthru)

By frolic

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14181735856_3c2c2ffdd0_o.jpg
    image5.jpeg
    IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    13784700525_1fd0befb85_o.jpg
    games room.jpg
    games room1.jpg
    13201603765_a7c711e67e_b.jpg
    13201619765_29c0fdaa36_b.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 5.50.21 PM.png
    photo-19.JPG
    photo (90).JPG
    13000787744_8d8cda7dac_b.jpg
    12954376514_4e77a65f1a_h.jpg
    startrek_5machines.jpg
    LEDs with crown.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

My new house has a finished basement that I'll be using as my arcade. It is already finished, but I will be taking down a wall that creates a bedroom to make it one large space.

I want to paint it something more fun and appropriate from its current bland colors. I'm thinking something dark to give the room an arcade feel.

Would anyone recommend painting the ceiling dark as well? The floor tiles are white and I will leave them in, so I'm not sure if it is better to balance the floor with the white ceiling.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, and if you have example pics all the better! thanks.

Attached is a photo of part of the current room to give you an idea of what I'm starting with. The wall we're looking at is the one that will come down.

newhouse_basement.jpgnewhouse_basement.jpg

#2 10 years ago

You know what would be neat? Paint it black, then coat over that with white UV paint. Then if you get some black light lamps it will only glow in those areas.

#3 10 years ago

If you remove the wall you will have to re tile at least the bedroom and wall gap, right? I would do the ceiling white. Remember it is a basement so a white ceiling will give a lot more light. I think lighting is more important in this case for room mood.

#4 10 years ago

I would go flat black on it that way it won't reflect and give it a real arcade feel. Now for your walls what ever you think will look cool. I painted my game room lime green and orange. And had my buddy make some large wall decals. Take a look at my game room pics on my profile.

#5 10 years ago

That ceiling is low. I personally would paint it white, to make the room look/feel larger.

#6 10 years ago

Here's how I did mine. It has an 80s arcade feel to it. Ed

image.jpgimage.jpg image-702.jpgimage-702.jpg image-685.jpgimage-685.jpg image-355.jpgimage-355.jpg image-44.jpgimage-44.jpg image-38.jpgimage-38.jpg image-367.jpgimage-367.jpg
    #7 10 years ago

I like the idea of flat black for the ceiling. However, for my basement game room - it is white. Somewhat of a low ceiling and white makes it seem larger, brighter.

edit: wow fast ed - that is a sweet looking game room!

#8 10 years ago

I used flat black for the ceilings and gloss black for the walls. The carpet is black light. Ed

#9 10 years ago

I used Behr semi-gloss paint in dark grey (almost black) for my walls and ceiling.

Although it's true that the room feels smaller afterwards, versus the white walls/ceiling, it feels a lot more like a game room. I like the idea of supplementing with additional glow-in-the-dark decorations and LED lighting; next on my 'to-do' list.

#10 10 years ago

Oh, if I had to do it over again, I would use semi-gloss on the walls, but flat on the ceiling. Sometimes the reflections shines back onto the pinball machine glass.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

Quoted from nate1981s:

If you remove the wall you will have to re tile at least the bedroom and wall gap, right?

Yes, some sort of repair would need to be done to the tiles in that area. I considered a whole new floor but that seemed wasteful. So I will work with the white tile.

Fast-Ed, great photos!

My ceiling is 7 feet, so not terribly high.

I love the idea of a black ceiling and dark arcade, but since I'm keeping the white tiles I don't know whether a black ceiling would look out of place. With the arcade carpet it is killer, but I definitely don't want a carpet, for maintenance reasons (I am lazy).

Hmmm... what to do what to do.

#12 10 years ago

I hunted around on the net for other basement (low) black ceilings. Here's some I found. I like the idea of a matte black that doesn't reflect the gaming light. Still mulling things over.

games-room.jpggames-room.jpg games-room2.jpggames-room2.jpg games-room3.pnggames-room3.png games-room4.jpggames-room4.jpg games-room5.jpggames-room5.jpg
    #13 10 years ago

Was at the house today with contractors, attached is a video walkthrough of the arcade to be:

I think I'm going to chicken out and leave the ceilings white, just because they aren't terribly high. But will go with bold colors on the walls. Bedroom wall will come down, and kitchenette replaced with bar hopefully.

I will update this thread as progress is made. I don't close till feb 28th though... now a painful wait .

#14 10 years ago

I used a glossy white on mine......with the windows curtained off (to avoid fading), I wanted as much brightness as possible. The walls around most of the basement are slime green (better than the concrete gray)

#15 10 years ago

Thats some nice rental space. Are you sure you need a game room?

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Thats some nice rental space. Are you sure you need a game room?

I'm not sure if anyone "needs" a game room

But no, I don't want tenants under my feet either. But if I ever came down on hard times, I'd pay the mortgage selling my pins and when they were gone rent that space out. Fortunately that is not my situation at this time.

#17 10 years ago

Grey walls and burgundy ceiling.

#18 10 years ago

Looks like a nice area!

#19 10 years ago

I have a 12 ft ceiling in my basement/ arcade. I painted the ceiling flat black and it looks great and gives a giant feeling of height.

#20 10 years ago

If it were me....Keep the bedroom the way it is. You will regret it, if you decide to ever sell your home. A conforming bedroom with closet and attached bathroom will be really good for resale. Get rid of the mother-in law kitchen. Adds no value and is a little dated. Sell the fridge and stove on Craigs List. Tear out cabinets, maybe add a nice little wet bar with small fridge and LCD TV? I would leave the ceiling white and add crown molding all around with a gap left in-between for led strip lighting. Do dream makers color chasing RGB strips with controllers. Then I would take your spare bedroom and make it another themed room with your new ST LE as showpiece. You can do some badass star field scene for ceiling and cosmic walls. If you really wanted to get crazy how about a salt water fish tank viewable on main wall and accessible through the spare bedroom closet for maintenance. Another popular thing my customers are doing with their ceilings is using rustic barn wood, and a lot of beetle kill pine. It looks sharp in the right room.

Pimpin Ceiling.jpgPimpin Ceiling.jpg
    Beetle kill pine ceiling.jpgBeetle kill pine ceiling.jpg
    LEDs with crown.jpgLEDs with crown.jpg

#21 10 years ago

I'm only 5'8" and I felt like I need to duck just watching your quick walk-thru.

I would only paint them white. Maybe some fun color on the walls.

Very nice game room potential you have there... hope the home comes together for you and your family.

#22 10 years ago

heh, well, you should see how low my current basement ceiling is

startrek_5machines.jpgstartrek_5machines.jpg

So I'll be living it up in the new place. I'll be able to lift the playfields up to work on them!

crown moulding leds look nice. I decided its likely we'll be in this house for the duration, and worst-case I'll rebuild that wall to add a bedroom for resale. but I'd much rather have the game room I want today.

1 month later
    #23 10 years ago

Ok, finally an update. We closed on the house, and the contractors have started work. I decided take the bedroom wall out (the house has 5 bedrooms upstairs, wasn't worried about keeping another for future resale consideration in the basement).

The wall and kitchen are now gone. Next is repair work to the walls and floor, then paint.

12954376514_4e77a65f1a_h.jpg12954376514_4e77a65f1a_h.jpg

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'm open to any and all suggestions

White for a ceiling, unless you are going for the cave look.

Robert

#25 10 years ago

That's gonna be nice. Man I wish could have a room like that. Can't wait for pics of it's completion. Good Luck!

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

White for a ceiling, unless you are going for the cave look.

Yes, going with white on ceiling, dark purple for walls so my neon signs and stuff look good.

#27 10 years ago

how dark do you plan on having the room when it is in use? i've always thought it would be wicked cool to do a night sky mural...

http://www.nightskymurals.com

#28 10 years ago

electricians in today, upgrading the electrical panel and running new outlets and circuits for the room. I will have 5 15 amp circuits available in the arcade.

After they are done, the floors, ceiling and walls will be repaired and then painted.

13000787744_8d8cda7dac_b.jpg13000787744_8d8cda7dac_b.jpg
    #29 10 years ago

Looking good. I think you're headed in the right direction. It's not so much about
    the colors..... as it is the lighting. Leave yourself enough "room" to make lighting
    adjustments and you'll be happy in the end.
    Nice progress pics, looking forward to the finished product.

#30 10 years ago

As a painting contractor myself, I'm glad you are painting the ceilings white. Your ceilings are too low to paint black. If anyone is claustrophobic, they wouldn't be able to go down there IMHO.

I like the dark purple for some walls. You could break it up with a dark gray or dark maroon. OR you could go dark purple with some bright neon colors as well. Don't just go all 1 color if you don't have to. Multiple colors will give the room more life, feel and depth.

You should have them put in a recessed trim moulding around the entire downstairs wall perimeter. Then have the electrician wire up some RGB led lights on top of the moulding and all the way around. That will really make the room pop for you.

You could also add a couple of floor to ceiling mirrors around the room to add some additional depth if you feel it needs it.

Another great addition is the glow carpeting. I know you said you were lazy, but that dark carpet hides the dirt well. A quick once a week 20 minute vacuum is all you need. The carpet not only looks nice and neon colorful, but it also helps to insulate the floor to keep the room warmer, deadin the sound which will make everything sound better (it will eliminate echoing) and it also gives nice cushioning when walking around down there in your bare feet.

Also, now is the time to have the electricians pull wires for you big screen TV and surround system. Get those wires behind the walls, not out in the open where everyone can see them. Do it NOW while the walls are opened up and the electricians are there. You'll regret you didn't do it later. Of course that's if you plan on having that down there.

These are all various things I have seen done in some very expensive homes. They looked awesome. Wish I had pics.

Anyway, no matter what you choose, I wish you the best of luck bro. It's gonna look awesome when it's done. Congrats on the new home and the new arcade.

#31 10 years ago

Trust me, for small rooms, go COLORFUL not dark. Yes, it's cool if you have a big room to go old school 80's dark arcade look, but in a small space, dark colors close it in even more and it will feel claustrophobic. Go colorful...here's what I did. And keep in mind, you're going to get A LOT of color from the games...which is why i kept the walls neutral and made the floor pop...

Here's a little video too:

photo (90).JPGphoto (90).JPG photo-19.JPGphoto-19.JPG Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 5.50.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-11-05 at 5.50.21 PM.png
    #32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

You could also add a couple of floor to ceiling mirrors around the room to add some additional depth if you feel it needs it.

I was thinking off adding gym mirrors to one of the walls, to make the space seem really long.

No theater system going there, so no need for running wires behind the walls. Thanks for the suggestion though, now would be the time to do it. I have a touchscreen video jukebox I'll be putting in the room later, but that is self contained.

Will post more pics as the job progresses.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I was thinking off adding gym mirrors to one of the walls, to make the space seem really long.
    No theater system going there, so no need for running wires behind the walls. Thanks for the suggestion though, now would be the time to do it. I have a touchscreen video jukebox I'll be putting in the room later, but that is self contained.
    Will post more pics as the job progresses.

Don't go overboard with the mirrors. a few are tasteful. Too many may have people walking into them think the room continues on. LOL An idea may be to frame the mirrors in.

Sounds great though my friend. We'll all be looking forward to the pics and wish you the best of luck.

1 week later
    #34 10 years ago

Getting closer, painting has begun. Dark purple walls with charcoal trim. Floor and ceiling has been repaired. The painter will be doing 3 coats of the purple.

13201603765_a7c711e67e_b.jpg13201603765_a7c711e67e_b.jpg
    13201619765_29c0fdaa36_b.jpg13201619765_29c0fdaa36_b.jpg

#35 10 years ago

Wow, nice choice in wall color. I like it, perfect for a game room.

#36 10 years ago

Yes, I think it will be great with the lights of the games as well as neon pieces hanging throughout.

#37 10 years ago

Nice work. I just finished mine - did dark roof in blue, orange feature wall, white for the rest. Carpet squares glued down for easy replacement if the machines wear them out. I liked the dark blue as the LED strip lightning can reflect off it easily to change colour of the edges, and at night I can add UV light later on if I want to.
    games room.jpggames room.jpggames room1.jpggames room1.jpg

#38 10 years ago

Is that your son?

Its great doing projects with them. My son we used to play pinball and work on the machines then he got into high school is into his friends and the pinball machines are not important to him. Im sure he still has a place in his heart and will revisit them when he gets older, but for now those days are gone.

Cherish the days working on the game room and pins with your kid. Cause they grow up fast.

#39 10 years ago

Yes, that is my youngest, turning 6 next week. He likes to photobomb all my pictures . I'll miss them when they are too cool to hang out with the old man.

3 weeks later
    #40 10 years ago

Here's the walk through of the arcade now that major renos are done and machines are in place

#41 10 years ago

And a photo of my custom neon

13784700525_1fd0befb85_o.jpg13784700525_1fd0befb85_o.jpg
    #42 10 years ago

The darker and flatter the better.

#43 10 years ago

WOW, you have room along that one wall for about 15 pins. What are ya gona do about the echo down there? That could be a real killer with people, games and music going all at the same time. That's why I went with bl carpet and 3/8in. memory foam pad.

#44 10 years ago

yeah i'm excited with all the space. In the short term I'd like to get to 10 pins, then after that add in whatever as they come up.

There is an echo from the tile floor. Not sure about that yet, how much it will change with people in the basement. I'm thinking of adding a carpet runner at the least since the tiles are tough on bare feet. So it will help with standing and also eat up some of the echo.

I don't mind the pinball noises when i'm down there but we haven't had multiple machines being played yet.

1 week later
    #45 10 years ago

What about tearing out that wall to the coat room and building your bar up there? More games down stairs...

OHEMIO

2 months later
    #46 9 years ago

I invited some local pin owners for the first look of my completed space.

Here is a new video walkthrough:

IMG_0563.JPGIMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0561.JPGIMG_0561.JPG

image5.jpegimage5.jpeg

Here's a shot of the blacklight carpet runner, I mounted blacklights under each cabinet to light it up:
    14181735856_3c2c2ffdd0_o.jpg14181735856_3c2c2ffdd0_o.jpg

2 months later
    #47 9 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-color-should-i-paint-my-game-room-ceiling and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.