• Latest reply 10 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

drops1.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just finished shopping out my Bally 'Night Rider'.

The two drop-bank targets were worn as normal, so I thought I would try and get the bullseye's looking a bit more presentable while i had the assy's torn apart for cleaning.

Resulting before/after picture below. A lot better than they were; short of spending $50 or so, for two new hot stamped sets.

Scanned old target into Photoshop, cleaned it up and created a 8x11 sheets of bullseye. (gave the edges of the circles a bit of bevel/shading in Photoshop to help recreate the molded hot-stamp effect)

Printed on Experts-Choice #123, transparent laser decal sheet. (Brother 9340 printer)
Quick shot of Testers Decal Bond.

Cut & slid decal onto cleaned target. (I did NOT try & remove the old paint... figured it would give a deeper color. Plus I used the old paint as reference to line up the new bullseye.)

Once dried, coated decal with MicroScale Micro Sol setting solution. (helps soften & "mold" the decal to the plastic, picking up the hot-stamp ridges)

Determined that the color saturation from the printer just wasn't enough. So once the Micro Sol was dry overnight, I added a second waterslide decal on top of the first. Then (once dry) re-applied another layer of Micro Sol.

After the Micro Sol dried overnight... I shot the drop target heads with a couple of coats of Rustoleum Painters Touch Semi-gloss Crystal Clean to protect the decals from wear.

We'll see over time whether they last.

drops1.jpgdrops1.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Looks good, have to try this out on my Hyperball targets

#4 10 years ago

Thanks guys...
Like I said; we'll see how they hold up. I plan on taking this machine to MGC in April... That'll be the real test.

And in fairness... the decal sheets aren't cheap. $2.50 - $3.00 per 8x11. (which you can obviously make a lot of targets, or add other decal graphics to do at the same time)

Also... I had previously bought some black target bullseyes from Pinball Rescue for $5.00 for a set of 6. (have not used them yet, so unsure of how long those last, but they look of good quality)
http://pinballrescue.net/Decals_Stand_Up_Target.html (at the bottom of page)

#5 10 years ago

Looks great. Do you know if those decal sheets would work for other play field plastics? I have a few chipped pieces that I was thinking about trying to recreate when I found some time.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Looks great. Do you know if those decal sheets would work for other play field plastics? I have a few chipped pieces that I was thinking about trying to recreate when I found some time.

They should... You just need to remember to print the image reversed, because you'd be putting the decal on the bottom underside of the plastic.
That's one of those processes I want to try myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

#7 10 years ago

The white decals work great for plastics, see the following post/video.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-guide-to-making-your-own-reproduction-plastics#post-1315415

#8 10 years ago

Thanks. That video was great. I am eager to try this sometime but need to feel sufficiently motivated. Still, I'm glad to know there are relatively simple ways to do this. Now, someone just needs to figure out how to recreate the ramps and other parts. Perhaps the purchase of a 3D printer is in all of our futures.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/waterslide-decals-to-refurbish-warn-bally-drop-targets-night-rider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.