(Topic ID: 94620)

Vonnie D Pinball-----Now Live with videos...Kickstarter LE...?

By kidchrisso

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 195 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Road Runner outlane.jpg
    6-26-2014 9-51-58 AM.jpg
    dsc05321.jpg
    Bp9kngZCMAE_T05.png

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago

When did they successfully apply for a patent for a LCD screen in the apron? It seems to me that idea has been done before (and it's kick-ass). https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-extender

I love the idea of the smartglass over the playfield but I can't imagine it would be cheap to produce. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_glass

Neat concept, cool to see Oursler mentioned but IMHO there's too much preorder fatigue and also price fatigue. $8k is the new norm? Nuh-uh. The time to strike would have been before MMR or probably a year before that. Way too many preorder WOZzers that waited too long for their games after paying in full. Who knows, maybe it'll succeed. I'll watch from over here.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

excited to hear of another set of guys following a dream but refuse to fund a start up with nothing to show for it besides a slick office and foam core drawing plus some art.
    Please wake me up when they have a flippable and programmed game.
    They obviously got quite a bit ahead of themselves on this one.

Even in the Kickstarter rules it says and I quote directly...
    "When a project involves manufacturing and distributing something complex, like a gadget, we require projects to show a prototype of what they’re making, and we prohibit photorealistic renderings."
    I see no prototype from them unless you consider the little foam board thing to be a prototype. Sure I am excited to see another pinball company come into the scene, and their concept does sound exciting, but they just need more to show at this point if they want to build any hype and well, if they want to comply with the Kickstarter rules.

#104 9 years ago

I thought this was going to be a Jersey Shore pinball......"Vonnie D"

#105 9 years ago

Sorry, just not impressed.

#106 9 years ago

Best of luck to them. I'll buy one after it is produced and shipping. Have too much money tied up between Skit B and Jpop right now. I'm hopeful they will meet the goal and get this game developed.

#107 9 years ago

Boutique companies seem to be coming up with great ideas and designs; however the one thing that seems to remain the largest hurdle (once they've been able to develop the ideas) is manufacturing.

Vonnie D might be wise to step back and re-structure the kickstarter campaign as an R & D campaign first and foremost instead of a "fund us all the way to the assembly line" campaign. Maybe they shouldn't be trying to "start big" either. Build the things one at a time and the market will find you.

Seems like there's a real opportunity for someone to start a new pinball manufacturing and distributing business; the boutique game companies would benefit from a partnership with a company like that, much like how PPS is benefiting from an agreement with Stern.

Good luck to them

#108 9 years ago

There may very well be potential for new pinball to enter the market, but the well has run dry I think for crowd funded pins. Way too many unfinished/late/in-progress projects out there.

Best of luck to them, but as someone who has already cancelled their TBL and MMR, and will wait to buy machines as they enter the market, I'll be treating this the same.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Seems like there's a real opportunity for someone to start a new pinball manufacturing and distributing business;

Maybe this where Spooky can step in?

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Sorry, just not impressed.

I was hoping it would be more than an announcement of a kickstarter campaign with a drawing of a playfield So much build up to an announcement for just the drawing and no more mock up than that. A bit disappointed for now, but obviously waiting for things to improve.

#111 9 years ago

I like the concept and Barry is a solid pinball designer, but $3000+ a day for 30 days to complete the kickstarter to help them? Then they will come out and charge you $8000 for you to buy a pin, which could be a great one or not? I don't know?

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I like the concept and Barry is a solid pinball designer, but $3000+ a day for 30 days to complete the kickstarter to help them? Then they will come out and charge you $8000 for you to buy a pin, which could be a great one or not? I don't know?

Barry didn't design the pin. Von did.

#113 9 years ago

Wonder how they would do on the Shark Tank?

#114 9 years ago

All that pre-hype for a rough sketch of a few Gremlins and no physical prototype in sight... lel

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I thought this was going to be a Jersey Shore pinball......"Vonnie D"

just remember, those people were NOT from NJ! now my uncle vinny…thats another story! lol

#116 9 years ago

Congrats to Vonnie D! Someone pledged $7,000 for an early bird LE.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2065029795/pinball-gremlins-pinball-machine/backers

#117 9 years ago

zomg thats crazy...

#118 9 years ago

Assuming the names of the backers are listed in order, that means that either Don or Dodie is the one who pledged $7,000 (depending on this list being newest on top or newest on bottom). If the names are not in order than it's any one of them on the list.

Edit... nevermind... names are listed randomly.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Assuming the names of the backers are listed in order, that means that either Don or Dodie is the one who pledged $7,000 (depending on this list being newest on top or newest on bottom). If the names are not in order than it's any one of them on the list.
    Edit... nevermind... names are listed randomly.

I would assume/hope that they already have some people lined up to make significant contributions prior to starting the campaign. A $100k campaign should have some serious advance planning done before it even goes live if it is going to succeed.

Also, from my limited experience with kickstarter campaigns, typically the early and late periods are when the most donating is done. So I'm going to be watching this first week with more interest.

Just my thoughts.

#120 9 years ago

Well, sorry guy's I tried to watch that video but being a director/producer, I just couldn't get past the way off camera balance, and lack of a teleprompter. FYI: There's an app for that. Also, if your going to use the mic from the camera turn off the air-conditioner. You sound like your in a tunnel. You looked cross eye's with no prompter and the viewer is trying to figure out what the heck your looking at off screen. Sorry, the pinsider's are going to have to fill me in. That video, as well as you tried hard, falls way below standers. So someone want to tell me what the heck was being said? That was driving me crazy! Sorry OCD kicking in.

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Well, sorry guy's I tried to watch that video but being a director/producer, I just couldn't get past the way off camera balance, and lack of a teleprompter. FYI: There's an app for that. Also, if your going to use the mic from the camera turn off the air-conditioner. You sound like your in a tunnel. You looked cross eye's with no prompter and the viewer is let trying to figure out what the heck your looking at off screen. Sorry, the pinsider's are going to have to fill me in. That video, as well as you tried hard, falls way below standers. So someone want to tell me what the heck was being said? That was driving me crazy! Sorry OCD kicking in.

I totally agree with you about how poorly the video was filmed. That was something bothering me the entire time I watched it.

Anyways, essentially they were saying how they want to revolutionize pinball by making it more like a video game, where there can be enemies you'll have to defeat and things that will be harming your score and such, essentially they were saying they want their game to have more objectives than just building up the highest score, but they really didn't specify much other than having to defeat enemies and what not.

#122 9 years ago

If they were smart...get all your stuff ready and let Stern put it together.....

#123 9 years ago

I think the market could use a simple to manufacture but great playing game that would cost ~3000 dollars brand new. A great original theme with just a good playing layout and pop bumpers-ramps. No expensive gadgetry aimed at revolutionizing anything or laser beams or whatever. But wouldn't it be awesome to buy a brand spanking new, solidly playing, great looking game for an affordable price? I would definitely be into that. Every game does not need to be the be-all end-all with the kitchen sink thrown in and a $8000 price tag.

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

If they were smart...get all your stuff ready and let Stern put it together.....

Quoted from chadderack:

Seems like there's a real opportunity for someone to start a new pinball manufacturing and distributing business;

#125 9 years ago

$1k for a translite? damn :/

#126 9 years ago

So they make a big announcement rumor on the internet...then they release they are making a Gremlins game...then it turns out to be a kickstarter? Seems kinda tacky, but okay. Also via kickstarter anyone can pledge X and then it can meet the goal, and "pass" but then not pay and it is still passed. So if it comes down to it, the owners, vonnieD could pledge the rest of the amount, then not pay and collect whatever was pledged to push production. Kind of a scam way to do it, but it happens all the time. I am not knocking a new pin maker, but the way this went about seems kinda odd. This is going to cost A LOT, unless they sub contract the cab/pf making to someone like spooky. The prize tiers are insane high :/

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Anyways, essentially they were saying how they want to revolutionize pinball by making it more like a video game, where there can be enemies you'll have to defeat and things ...... essentially they were saying they want their game to have more objectives than just building up the highest score

Sounds familiar...

Quoted from Quietmouse:

I think the market could use a simple to manufacture but great playing game that would cost ~3000 dollars brand new. A great original theme with just a good playing layout and pop bumpers-ramps. No expensive gadgetry aimed at revolutionizing anything or laser beams or whatever. But wouldn't it be awesome to buy a brand spanking new, solidly playing, great looking game for an affordable price? I would definitely be into that. Every game does not need to be the be-all end-all with the kitchen sink thrown in and a $8000 price tag.

How about just a kit?

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

That's a good idea

No need to build a factory from the ground up.

Hmmmmm

#129 9 years ago

Pretty neat idea for a pin. I wish Vonnie D a lot of luck - and moola - 100k doesn't go too far.

#130 9 years ago

I'm not sure if the puppet shows are helping.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

» YouTube video

You could be right there.

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

» YouTube video

I've been trying my hardest to avoid those puppet videos... am I missing out on anything?

#133 9 years ago

good luck to the guys, some neat ideas (machine gremlins causing havoc inside the game) and at least these guys are giving it a go - hope you post some updates of whitewood and gameplay soon

#134 9 years ago

They almost had me at," Pinball Gremlins is a new original pinball machine game that features everything you like about pinball".

But they would be seriously unfunded. I'm out....oh wait I was never in. If these guys are successful raising funds I would expect to see many more kckstarters before any machines rolled off the line. "Help us pay the electricity bill" is one I could get behind.

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

So they make a big announcement rumor on the internet...then they release they are making a Gremlins game...then it turns out to be a kickstarter? Seems kinda tacky, but okay. Also via kickstarter anyone can pledge X and then it can meet the goal, and "pass" but then not pay and it is still passed. So if it comes down to it, the owners, vonnieD could pledge the rest of the amount, then not pay and collect whatever was pledged to push production. Kind of a scam way to do it, but it happens all the time. I am not knocking a new pin maker, but the way this went about seems kinda odd. This is going to cost A LOT, unless they sub contract the cab/pf making to someone like Spooky. The prize tiers are insane high :/

I've been saying we'll be disappointed in this all along, and we are. Difference is I got hounded for it, lol. Oh well. People are tired of pre-announcements and lack luster announcements at that.

There is an entire thread of guys getting bored and drawing a sweet looking playfield design. This isn't too different so far

#136 9 years ago

What a joke the announcement turned out to be. If JJP has reported "money issues", would we really expect much better from a new company asking for $100k in kickstarter funds with no real plans or timeline on what is going to be done after that money is gone? Boutique/basement companies starting at $6.5k for a standard machine is ridiculous.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

What a joke the announcement turned out to be. If JJP has reported "money issues", would we really expect much better from a new company asking for $100k in kickstarter funds with no real plans or timeline on what is going to be done after that money is gone? Boutique/basement companies starting at $6.5k for a standard machine is ridiculous.

We've heard multiple of times that it ran/runs WMS/Stern over a million bucks to bring a game to market and this with a pre-existing assembly lines, staff, supply chain, etc. They repeat what they've done dozens and dozens of times.

He's in a position like JJP, creating a entire new platform AND game from scratch, but JJP had a ton of industry experience, knows people int he industry and is involved with supply chain management via his previous work. (not here to debate JJP's success at these...)

He must either be wealthy or have another business that prints cash, because either way 100k isn't even close to being enough.

#138 9 years ago

I do hope that Vonnie D gets to set up and eat at the boutique pinball maker's table. There's no reason to turn him away hungry.

These guys seem to have some good ideas. Applying a little of that creativity to the way they're setting themselves up would go a long(er) way.

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Boutique/basement companies starting at $6.5k for a standard machine is ridiculous.

You expect them to sell their games at a loss?

#140 9 years ago

Kickstarter... to kick start... a new pinball company... interesting!

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

He must either be wealthy or have another business that prints cash, because either way 100k isn't even close to being enough.

Do you have any idea how much cash Antonio had to design his Nemo prototype that was presented in Madrid in October 2012?
    - Kick starter campaign: none... $0
    - Preorder deposit: $0 (that was a mistake in my opinion)

I doubt Scott Gullicks or Ben Heck had deep pockets when they showed their Wrath of Olympus and America's most Haunted prototypes.

It does not cost $100k to design a pin. It takes time, passion and talent though.
    The bottleneck is not at design stage. But that's only the beginning; then you need to bring it to shows (how much did it cost Kevin?). And the real nightmare is at production stage...even for a limited run.

#142 9 years ago

I worry that this won't fund. I think they should have presented a working, flipping, playable prototype game in their Kickstarter video. That way we can all see close to what they have planned.

I think that not having that is going to make most everyone pause at this stage of the game.

#143 9 years ago

Needs more muppets imo...

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Do you have any idea how much cash Antonio had to design his Nemo prototype that was presented in Madrid in October 2012?
    - Kick starter campaign: none... $0
    - Preorder deposit: $0 (that was a mistake in my opinion)
    I doubt Scott Gullicks or Ben Heck had deep pockets when they showed their Wrath of Olympus and America's most Haunted prototypes.
    It does not cost $100k to design a pin. It takes time, passion and talent though.
    The bottleneck is not at design stage. But that's only the beginning; then you need to bring it to shows (how much did it cost Kevin?). And the real nightmare is at production stage...even for a limited run.

I agree completely. It costs stern that much because, among other things, they have a full time team. When you have a team of 5 or 6 working for you on a game for ~1 year or so you're already at practically half a million. when you add in facility costs, licensing, management, and other R&D costs then you're getting close to $1 million easy. If you're doing most things yourself (design, programming, art, music, business, whatever) then you cut design costs down substantially. I don't think $100k is out of the question for them, it largely depends on how many machines they plan on making as well as how they expect to re-feed the production cost monster after the initial kickstarter funding dries up.
    I do wish them the best of luck... but as others said, their presentation and "prototype" machine both need lots of work.

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from GetTheJackpot:

You expect them to sell their games at a loss?

No. And I doubt they are a non-profit either . Why is $6500 the new normal? Steep for an unproven player.

#146 9 years ago

Curious what VonnieD thinks right now. He's been on the site according to his page...I'm guessing he and the guys expected Pinside to be more receptive than we have been.

But honestly, this was a pretty poor announcement. Nobody wants to shove money to a startup in these amounts with nothing to go on. This sort of startup money is best funded through an investor or something...Too bad as new stuff is always welcome.

#147 9 years ago

I think if they had come to kickstarter with a working whitewood or with a complete prototype they'd be doing great. The pin community wants a game they can assist at the production level not the development level. I do however wish them luck and donated.

#148 9 years ago

The biggest cost is time, which is "free" if you're doing it yourself. AMH was basically a second job for me for well over a year, had I billed a client for that easily 80k+. So their cost is reasonable.

No tangible rewards under $1000 and nothing of value until 6.5k is a lot to ask when average Kickstarter pledge is $45.

A shooting Whitewood of Foam core (Nordmanite) isn't much harder than drawing a sketch they really should have done that at minimum.

We've had to fight for inches with an original theme/no big name designer despite having a fully working game since March 2013. So it's not hard to calculate the uphill battle this game will fave.

#149 9 years ago

Hmmm. I don't know how much it cost to develop a new game but I can easily guess it does not cost Stern a Mill to create a new game. They still work under the Data East model which was half the time and half the cost of Williams for each game. Probably even leaner now.

#150 9 years ago

I sure wish the Vonnie D team would chime in to explain the kick starter pricing. How much more would we have to boot? Did you see the FB invite to Columbia, MO. if you share the link? May have to make the trip out to see what the deal is? Anybody local want to carpool? I think it is July 2nd at the arcade his partner owns.

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vonnie-d-pinball-8-days-left-on-the-count-down/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.