Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RCA1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Thinking about buying a vacation america. Does anyone know if it has multiball? Any idea how many were made? Prices? Is it fun? Any pics or info from owners would be much appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

For how much?

It might be the worst pin ever, outside of Zizzle....

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

For how much?

C'mon now, The average IPDB review for this gem is a whopping 2.9.

...Holy crap 2.9??!! I've never seen an average that low on any other pin.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It might be the worst pin ever

Hey now! Any pin that has you visiting South Dakota sounds like a keeper to me.

#7 11 years ago

Vacation America.....Just Say No.

#8 11 years ago

That is a home use only model. Will not measure up to any real full size pinball machine. Maybe good for young kids $100. Won't get much love for that in this forum.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

For how much?

$650

#10 11 years ago

I think it would be a hard resell.

#11 11 years ago

Would love to see somebody do a National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation themed pin.

Chris

#12 11 years ago

I know that most people here probably would, but I honestly don't think I would take one. Not worth the hassle of transporting.

#13 11 years ago

At least one person on here said he would pay that much for it as an oddity.

For a collection that had 'everything' in it...... Well, it wouldn't be complete without this...

#14 11 years ago

With your collection, why the interest in this game?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from pinij93:

With your collection, why the interest in this game?

Thought it was rare. I'm not doing it now. Sheeesh!!

#16 11 years ago

#17 11 years ago

It is a full sized machine with a full sized playfield and commercial pinball parts. I've been hoping a friend of mine would buy that $650 Vacation America so I can photograph the interior boards and write more repair information for it.

#18 11 years ago

never even consider it

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It is a full sized machine with a full sized playfield and commercial pinball parts. I've been hoping a friend of mine would buy that $650 Vacation America so I can photograph the interior boards and write more repair information for it.

I think you should buy it.

#20 11 years ago

zizzle is not the worst ever....I worked my guts out on that puppy...the VA is a good basic home game....I challenge all ye to a zizzle dual...!! Jpop

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It is a full sized machine with a full sized playfield and commercial pinball parts.

You are right about that my bad. I will keep quite on this, don't really know much about it. I read some of your stuff on these models you know alot more then me.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

zizzle is not the worst ever....I worked my guts out on that puppy...the VA is a good basic home game....I challenge all ye to a zizzle dual...!! Jpop

I've already apologized to Jpop in PM. This man has made some of my favorite pingames. Machines that are considered so good, I can't even afford to buy them.

As I've never played Zizzle, I'll have to say that I have no opinion on them other than if J worked on them, they have to be OK!

Sorry for disparaging your good work, J.

#23 11 years ago

Zizzle was meant to be a home model, just like the pins from the early 80's. The fact that zizzles sold new for less than home models from sears from 30 years prior is a pretty astounding feat. I still see them for sale for $100 (there's a POTC up in wisconsin right now for that price)

I've actually considered buying a zizzle just to see what's under the hood

#24 11 years ago

you guys are cruel.....omg....it was for kids and actually we had a lot of vets (with no legs) who bought them as they could play in a wheelchair....AND....move the game with no help!! made us all cry....Jpop

#25 11 years ago

...and if it was so bad....the 9k game production rate a week (9000 games a week) sure made up for that. we setup the largest pinball factory ever....Jpop

#26 11 years ago

What? Was my apology not enough?

#27 11 years ago

no apology needed....!! I am passionate about my work...Jpop

#28 11 years ago

I'd love a Zizzle.

Vacation America? Well, I wouldn't buy one, but unlike tamoore I can't really bash a game I've never played. I'd love to find out what all the hate's about though!

#29 11 years ago

I actually thought Zizzle's were pretty cool. A great way to introduce 'real' pinball to the youths of America. Much like Stern now with their 'The Pin' line, but at a much more affordable price!

#30 11 years ago

I want a zizzle for my son once he reaches the appropriate age, he's 10 months old now, so what another 3 months right?

#31 11 years ago

Vacation America is used at PAPA semi regulary for A division....

What are you guys talking about it sucks...

It was made for high end collectors and tournement play exclusivley ! hence no coin mechs.. Its super rare !

It has a tremendously deep ruleset, and it is blistering fast ! And the wizard mode is pretty much unobtainium, and if you do reach it, it is way too complex and deep for pretty much anyone to ever complete... thats the sign of an amazing game... VA has it all..

Probably faster than say IM...

open outlanes, pitch at 7.9 deg, white rubber, yellow flipper rubber, no ball save, tight tilt, ITS SICK !

If you can pick one of these super rare A titles up for 10-12K, even in rough condition, you ought to jump all over it...

these dont come up for sale that often, and when they do show up on CL or Mr. Pinball they are usualy sold in minutes....

I saw an HEP resto sell for $38,500 on epay..it was gone lickety split, with buy it now !

VA is a must have for any high end collection...

Carry on !

#32 11 years ago

I thought it was one of those ugly motor homes your family could rent to drive up and see Mount Rushmore or Yellowstone.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Vacation America is used at PAPA semi regulary for A division....
What are you guys talking about it sucks...
It was made for high end collectors and tournement play exclusivley ! hence no coin mechs.. Its super rare !
It has a tremendously deep ruleset, and it is blistering fast ! And the wizard mode is pretty much unobtainium, and if you do reach it, it is way too complex and deep for pretty much anyone to ever complete... thats the sign of an amazing game... VA has it all..
Probably faster than say IM...
open outlanes, pitch at 7.9 deg, white rubber, yellow flipper rubber, no ball save, tight tilt, ITS SICK !
If you can pick one of these super rare A titles up for 10-12K, even in rough condition, you ought to jump all over it...
these dont come up for sale that often, and when they do show up on CL or Mr. Pinball they are usualy sold in minutes....
I saw an HEP resto sell for $38,500 on epay..it was gone lickety split, with buy it now !
VA is a must have for any high end collection...
Carry on !

WTF?

#34 11 years ago

Zizzle is actually fun.

#36 11 years ago

As of a few minutes ago, it is still listed on craigslist Seattle.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

As of a few minutes ago, it is still listed on craigslist Seattle.

I know. I was going to see if he'd deliver to my parents house since they're in the same town. After reading this I think I'll pass!!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think you should buy it.

I don't have $650 to spend. I need every dollar I can get just to pay rent on my apartment.

I would love to get this machine so I can write repair info on it and scan any manuals/schematics found inside it.

#39 11 years ago

If it were closer I'd buy it just to own the last game that Steve Kordek designed.

Let alone the fun of owning the most feared pinball machine in the world.

#40 11 years ago

It's an A game...

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

It's an A game...

yes.....it is a game.

wait, do ""games"" technically need to be fun?

#42 11 years ago

For everyone complaining about VA, have you actually *played* one?

It was co-designed by John Trudeau and Steve Kordek. It is not the latest Stern or JJP with everything and the kitchen sink in it, but for a game that was built to need no service (it has a grand total of 7 solenoids), it shoots really well. The only issue that it has in my opinion is the software is pretty bad, otherwise it would hold up about as well as an early 80's single level SS pin.

If there was one for $650 around me, I would probably go kick it's tires at least.

#43 11 years ago

I have never played VA or a zizzle, but I would like to.... anyone in the D got a Z?

#44 11 years ago

Never played a Vacation America, but pin space is way too valuable to ever even consider it personally. There was a Vacation America around here forever on CL, literally forever. The guy was asking 750 or would accept almost any trade to get rid of it. Not sure he ever did, maybe he just gave up.

#45 11 years ago

I think people are scared of this machine because it has little documention and very few photographs on the internet. No pictures of the boards. No pictures of the power supply. No really good detailed pictures of the playfield. All anyone has to go by is the few pictures on IPDB and the original sales flyer. I don't think anyone has made a game play video.

1 year later
#46 10 years ago

Alright you guys who said you want one. He never uses the name in the CL ad, but the pics show Vacation America.
(Hopefully unnecessary disclaimer: Not my ad, no idea, no relation. )

Here you go:

jxn.craigslist.org link

From the ad:

This pinball machine is super fun and is in perfect condition. There are no problems with it, looks like it was brand new. It would go perfect for an arcade room or entertainment center! More information about the pinball machine is below. You may test it before you buy it! If you have any questions call or text 5177401087! Thanks

PLAYFIELD DETAILS
Multiball
Flippers
Bumpers
Captive Balls
Spinner(s)
Yes
Kickback
Yes

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vacation-america and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.