(Topic ID: 80666)

TZ: Keep nice original PF or replace with repro?

By NJGecko

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by NJGecko
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which playfield should live in TZ?”

• Original all da way! 41 votes
    84%
  • Brandy-new clearcoated...nothing plays like it! 8 votes
    16%

(49 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-02-13 13.42.53.jpg
2014-02-13 13.42.35.jpg
2014-02-13 13.42.42.jpg
2014-02-13 13.42.20.jpg
2014-02-13 13.42.13.jpg
2014-02-13 13.41.39.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Interesting question. Working on my TZ. Stripped down the entire topside of the playfield. It's in really really nice shape. Minimal wear on any of the scoops. The only defect is a tiny nick by the camera insert. It's original and it's really really nice.

The question came into my mind a few times (and Ted came out and asked it) about whether I should swap the playfield.

Something to be said for a nice clearcoated playfield. And getting one that's pre-drilled for the third magnet would be nice.

But something to be said for keeping the nice original one as well.

I'm 75% of the way to being able to do a swap. As you can see, entire topside is torn down. I would just need to move the wiring over.

Cost-wise...the Mirco is $900. Figure I could sell the original for $500 and sell the extra mini playfield for another $100 (my mini playfield is pristine)...so out of pocket maybe $300 in the end.

What do you guys think?

2014-02-13 13.41.39.jpg2014-02-13 13.41.39.jpg 2014-02-13 13.42.13.jpg2014-02-13 13.42.13.jpg 2014-02-13 13.42.20.jpg2014-02-13 13.42.20.jpg 2014-02-13 13.42.35.jpg2014-02-13 13.42.35.jpg 2014-02-13 13.42.42.jpg2014-02-13 13.42.42.jpg 2014-02-13 13.42.53.jpg2014-02-13 13.42.53.jpg
#2 10 years ago

I say keep it. It looks nice as-is. Striving for perfection is not only expensive but exhaustive

#3 10 years ago

If I was in your shoes and had the money to get a new playfield I'd get it and do the swap. I wouldn't be able to resist having a super sweet, new playfield in the game that will last a lifetime in home use. Plus for me I actually enjoyed doing the swaps I did on my games.

#4 10 years ago

Nothing better than a brand new glossy thick CC on a virgin pf. You're already almost there!!

#5 10 years ago

I was in the same position, but choose to strip the original and send it for the minor touch ups and clear coating. Turned out awesome, and it was a lot cheaper.

#6 10 years ago

Very tempting...I do like me some clearcoat....man, this could quickly turn from a shop job to a major overhaul...

#7 10 years ago

That's what happened to me. Simple shop has turned into something a lot more!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I was in the same position, but choose to strip the original and send it for the minor touch ups and clear coating. Turned out awesome, and it was a lot cheaper.

In the end, if I did the swap I don't think it would be bad:
New main/mini PF: 900
Sell original -500
Sell extra minipf -100

So my rough math says for $300 I can have a brand new playfield (not counting my time)

#9 10 years ago

I still don't think the repro will be as nice as your original.

Everything will fit without tinkering on the original, should have less dimpling since the wood is compressed, colours are bang on, etc.

Either way it will turn out sweet!

#10 10 years ago

Stick with the original in this case. I just picked up a TZ also, so good!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

If I was in your shoes and had the money to get a new playfield I'd get it and do the swap. I wouldn't be able to resist having a super sweet, new playfield in the game that will last a lifetime in home use. Plus for me I actually enjoyed doing the swaps I did on my games.

I nice original will also last a lifetime in home use only.

#12 10 years ago

Keep the original.
Play the piss out of it.
When you're ready for a full restore, send it to one of the masters to get touched up and cleared.

This should buy you a couple years to decide. Just keep it clean and keep mylar in the high traffic areas(pops, slot kickout, etc.) and you're good to go!

#13 10 years ago

Put me on the list if you decide to sell it. I live 20 minutes from Kruzeman.

I would keep it and send it out to be done. I know this will cost a little more but worth it.

#14 10 years ago

Hey Rock...what's it worth to you?

#15 10 years ago

IMO- Replace it but keep the original PF to go with it in case you ever sell it.
Then the new owner can decide if he wants to put it back to original.

#16 10 years ago

I would keep the original.

#17 10 years ago

I think you will get alot more then 500 for your original. I personally like og equipment but you probably wont be out much to get a cherry new one with the newer options pre set.

#18 10 years ago

Really considering a new one...

#20 10 years ago

If your this far might as well go all the way. Not sure if I would go with the third mag pf I dont think its worth the extra time and money.

#21 10 years ago

Decisions, decisions....

#22 10 years ago

I would keep the original.
But this is a hobby for most of us, so if you love the thrill of PF swap...swap and sell that nice original.
You will recoup most of your cost of the new one.
Sometimes we all get caught up in the "value" of it all and forget the fun of it all.

I really enjoyed my PF swap days but that has come and gone. That is one nice PF and I would just rebuild it to show it off. New PFs area a pain t-nutting, GI wiring, pre-drilling and are rarely smooth unless cleared by a professional.

#23 10 years ago

keep the original, it looks great

#24 10 years ago

I think the original looks very solid. If you have the cash and time and can get a very good clear coat on it. Go for it. Win Win though as this is still a nice example overall.

#25 10 years ago

Keep the original. Have that one touched up and cleared. That will be less than $300.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 10 years ago

I swapped out the playfield on our MM for a new Mirco playfield last summer. I had the playfield sent directly to HEP for clear coating and it came out looking awesome.

That being said though, my first choice would have been to send my existing playfield to HEP for some touch up work and then get it cleared. After speaking with Chris on it I decided the original playfield just wasn't nice enough to send to him (it would have needed a fair amount of work).

Your playfield looks quite nice overall. If I was in your shoes I'd send that original playfield in to someone such as HEP to have touched up and cleared.

#27 10 years ago

seeing the original thread just now, and the awesome but filthy score you got, I will finalize my decision and say.... new playfield!

being that you got a new cabinet I would say spend the extra few hundred and get a new one.

if it was an all original complete pin I would say keep it since it would all match the cab and so forth,

being that you have done a cab swap why not do a playfield swap for a little extra as well!?

that playfield does not look too bad but after the swap you would have a beautiful field and you are already half way done on the swap!

good luck and look forward to seeing the finished product

#28 10 years ago

Keep the original. Clean it. Wax it. Play it.

#29 10 years ago

There is some mylar between the pops on the original that's already starting to come up. I'm debating about whether to try to take it up the rest of the way.

IMO I don't want to send the original one out. I bought this game because I want to play it. I don't want to wait additional weeks or months for the original playfield to be touched up and clearcoated. I'm big on instant gratification. A few hours with treasure cove and wax vs a few hours to swap components to a new playfield is where I'm at.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

seeing the original thread just now, and the awesome but filthy score you got, I will finalize my decision and say.... new playfield!
being that you got a new cabinet I would say spend the extra few hundred and get a new one.
if it was an all original complete pin I would say keep it since it would all match the cab and so forth,
being that you have done a cab swap why not do a playfield swap for a little extra as well!?
that playfield does not look too bad but after the swap you would have a beautiful field and you are already half way done on the swap!
good luck and look forward to seeing the finished product

Best argument yet to get a new Mirco PF. That is what I would do.

1 week later
#31 10 years ago

In case anyone is still following, I think I'm going to keep the original playfield. There just isn't anything wrong with this and if I replace the playfield it's going to be too nice for me to play. I'd be upset the first divot it got...I don't want to make this a CQ game, I want to just play it...!

Same thing with the cabinet. Maybe I will get it done, maybe not. In the end if I just put this back together, get it working, replace the ramp, it will be a nice player. I can always get the cabinet done later...and I can always swap a playfield later!

#32 10 years ago

Personally I think that is the right choice. Great game

#33 10 years ago

Good choice.

#34 10 years ago

Send the original out to have it restored and cleared.

Quoted from NJGecko:

In case anyone is still following, I think I'm going to keep the original playfield. There just isn't anything wrong with this and if I replace the playfield it's going to be too nice for me to play. I'd be upset the first divot it got...I don't want to make this a CQ game, I want to just play it...!

Same thing with the cabinet. Maybe I will get it done, maybe not. In the end if I just put this back together, get it working, replace the ramp, it will be a nice player. I can always get the cabinet done later...and I can always swap a playfield later!

#35 10 years ago

Nah. I don't want to wait. Also if I was going through the work to totally strip the bottom side I'd just swap a new one in.

#36 10 years ago

You should keep it. Its really not bad.

Quoted from dmesserly:Keep the original. Clean it. Wax it. Play it.

Agree

#37 10 years ago

I've got an nos cc main playfield, a used restored mini that's cleared, a nos plastic set and a full cabinet decal set.

Chris Kruger

#38 10 years ago

Just curious, but do you think down the line, classic games like this will be worth more with "matching numbers" like the original playfields and such as long as they are nice. I understand swapping out a damaged one, but it seems an original matching machine would have more appeal down the road?

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from LEE400:

Just curious, but do you think down the line, classic games like this will be worth more with "matching numbers" like the original playfields and such as long as they are nice. I understand swapping out a damaged one, but it seems an original matching machine would have more appeal down the road?

Not for the vast majority of people. I will pay more for one in great condition vs one with matching numbers.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from LEE400:

I don't see that happening simply because a lot of the parts aren't even serialized. Or anyone can print up a repro label if they wanted to. Not like cars with VIN numbers stamped into the steel all over the place.
So how can you prove something is even numbers matching? Not real easy on a pin!

#41 10 years ago

I think he means the serial number of the game matching the one that is printed in UV on the playfield from the factory.

I think if TZ's ever get to the $10K mark for nice player machines that still need a full resto, we will definitely see price differences for factory playfields versus that of repros. There are those that prefer originality and those that could care less either way, but the former usually pays that premium.

#42 10 years ago

Speaking of the UV serial number on the playfield, does anyone know of a list from Bally which ties the UV serial number with the game serial number?

Or something that would show which geographical market or area the UV number represents? It would be interesting to find out that info.

2 weeks later
#43 10 years ago

I've got a nos Cleared tz, a used cleared mini playfield, and a nos plastic set for sale if you are interested in any or all of it pm me.

Chris Kruger

#44 10 years ago

About these UV serial numbers,
I have a documented HUO TAFG, Only has 300 plays, Its mint,
But there is no UV serial number on it anywhere, There is the barcode serial number in the left apron drain that matches every other sticker on every panel and board on the machine, but nothing UV,

#45 10 years ago

good for you, look at it this way... you can beat it up now and replace later.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from joemamma:

I've got a nos Cleared tz, a used cleared mini playfield, and a nos plastic set for sale if you are interested in any or all of it pm me.
--Chris Kruger

Don't tempt him!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

About these UV serial numbers,
I have a documented HUO TAFG, Only has 300 plays, Its mint,
But there is no UV serial number on it anywhere, There is the barcode serial number in the left apron drain that matches every other sticker on every panel and board on the machine, but nothing UV

I believe the only game to have the UV Serial Numbers on the playfield is TZ. I am sure I will be corrected severely if I am wrong, but that is my understanding.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Don't tempt him!

Not going to go there just yet... Almost back together....

#49 10 years ago

looking at the pic's make me miss the one I sold years back.

#50 10 years ago

I played some TZ yesterday at Modern and it just made me want to get this one together that much more....!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
Led
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus
Toppers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-keep-nice-original-pf-or-replace-with-repro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.