TSPP switch # 37 problem **Solved**

By maddog14

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am having a problem with switch # 37 on my TSPP. That is the switch in the upper playfiled under the TV that you have to hit to start the modes,

In the switch test, it seems to activate no problem. In game play when I make the shot, The game goes into ball search until the lock solenoid fires releasing the ball, And the Mode does start, which kind of defeats the purpose of playing.

When I manually hit the switch during game play, it will sometimes register, not all the time.

checksum is $F0FF , USA CPU 5.00

I must be missing something. I just don't know what. Especially since in switch test it registers every time.

#2 10 years ago

Are you testing the switch with a ball or your finger?

I would use a ball. It might need adjusting or replaced.
The upper PF comes off look at a pic of how to get into it in the manual.

#3 10 years ago

Always use balls when testing switches.

#4 10 years ago

Stern/Sega/Data East Rollover Switch Assembly - Right
500-6227-04

I had the same exact problem. Changed the switch and all is well.

#5 10 years ago

If you test the switch in switch test mode with a ball, you'll probably find that the switch is not quite being triggered. If you bending the wire or the arm of the switch a little bit, you should be able to find a position where it'll work.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from mot:

If you test the switch in switch test mode with a ball, you'll probably find that the switch is not quite being triggered. If you bending the wire or the arm of the switch a little bit, you should be able to find a position where it'll work.

It was definitely being triggered by the ball.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Are you testing the switch with a ball or your finger?
I would use a ball. It might need adjusting or replaced.

Both. I tried adjusting it. While in the lab adjusting the switch seemed to help, out the field, no difference.
I think I am just going to replace the switch. Its cheap enough to.

#7 10 years ago

A switch is a switch. If it registers with a ball in the switch test, it will register with a ball in the gameplay, no difference there. So just double check with the adjustment and if the switch is fine in the test with a ball, look elsewhere.

#8 10 years ago

Have you tried holding down the acuator? Sometimes switches will register but are wonky.

Check the switch for loose wires/diode. Maybe just replace it.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from RoadRunner:

A switch is a switch. If it registers with a ball in the switch test, it will register with a ball in the gameplay, no difference there. So just double check with the adjustment and if the switch is fine in the test with a ball, look elsewhere.

That is what I thought too. That is why I am trying to tap into the pinside knowledge base.

Quoted from jalpert:

Have you tried holding down the acuator? Sometimes switches will register but are wonky.
Check the switch for loose wires/diode. Maybe just replace it.

Tonight after work I am going to remove switch and mess around a bit. Its not like I have a new switch on the shelf to throw at it. But the switch is only $3.50.

#10 10 years ago

Check the other switches under the upper playfield and makes sure none of the leads are shorted. I had odd behavior in some of my switches up there and it turned out one of the couch target switches was shorted underneath.

1 week later
#11 10 years ago

So, I replaced the switch. The diagnostics show switch being activated. In game play, the switch is not being recognized, the ball just sits on top of the switch until the machine goes into ball search mode.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

So, I replaced the switch. The diagnostics show switch being activated. In game play, the switch is not being recognized, the ball just sits on top of the switch until the machine goes into ball search mode.

In switch test mode, are you testing that the switch activates when the ball is sitting on it? Testing with a ball could yield a different result than testing with your finger.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from mot:

In switch test mode, are you testing that the switch activates when the ball is sitting on it? Testing with a ball could yield a different result than testing with your finger.

yes testing with ball

#14 10 years ago

In gameplay, can you hit the switch with your finger and make it work (start a TV mode)?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from mot:

In gameplay, can you hit the switch with your finger and make it work (start a TV mode)?

I have to repeatedly hit the switch to get it activate in game play

#16 10 years ago

Maybe looking in the wrong place ! Try the connectors for the switches at the CPU . Wiggle or reset them ! I think cn-5 cn-7 .

#17 10 years ago

Did you replace the diode on the switch?

Quoted from maddog14:

I have to repeatedly hit the switch to get it activate in game play

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Maybe looking in the wrong place ! Try the connectors for the switches at the CPU . Wiggle or reset them ! I think cn-5 cn-7 .

I did reseat those already. The second thing I did.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Did you replace the diode on the switch?

The new switch from pbl came with a diode. The diode appeared to be facing the correct direction

#20 10 years ago

Reflow the solder on the pins?

#21 10 years ago

When the wires leave the switch do the go through a plug ? Wiggle and reset that plug ?

#22 10 years ago

So, I emailed Stern, specifically Patrick Powers for some insight. He suggested I do a factory reset. While I thought I had done that already, apparently I did not.
Machine is now working 100% perfect.

#23 10 years ago

I've emailed him before for help, too. That's super bizarre, but I'm glad to hear it worked!

#24 10 years ago

Didn't see that one coming !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 45.00
Playfield - Decals
Gotfrogs
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
7,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 218.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-switch-37-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.