15401033_1330921306948970_8957541862999995943_n (resized).jpg
15391083_1330921283615639_910144328051942258_n (resized).jpg
image-473.jpg
image-784.jpg
image.jpg
TAF-flipperTops-btm.jpg
tron pin flipper tops mod 4.jpg
simpsons-pin-flipper-tops.jpg
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

This has to be the most challenging, fun, and frustrating game of all time. Really, y'all, how many of you have made it to the final wizard mode? Anyone? (no not I) So close... so close....

#2 10 years ago

Excellent game. Played it all the time and then sold it :/ on the hunt for a new one

#3 10 years ago

it's a blast. fun to mod up too.

#4 10 years ago

Never even finished Alien Invasion ...

#5 10 years ago

Alien Invasion... managed to lock 4 balls... but 5 ?!?! Sheesh! All the other mini wiz modes seem do-able, and have done most, but THAT?! Wow. Yes, this is the best pin EVER!

#6 10 years ago

mancavesite.org

you can see my old one there on the scrolling photos he has up on the main page

#7 10 years ago

Love this game, picked it up a month or so ago and i can't stop playing it. I've only managed to lock 4 out of 5 balls on Alien Invasion. I haven't collected all the kids for pretzel multiball, and haven't started Scratchy's Revenge. This machine is so deep, i love it.

#8 10 years ago

I've had TSPP nib since 2003. Been to AI many times, but never completed. I'd suggest changing the settings so that you have to make the krusty loop to relight the tv rather than have it automatically relight at the start of each ball, makes it just a little more challenging. I'm on 3 ball.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

This has to be the most challenging, fun, and frustrating game of all time. Really, y'all, how many of you have made it to the final wizard mode? Anyone? (no not I) So close... so close....

I have been surprised that this machine falls in the overall ratings, but then again MB is so high...

My last game of this I was the closest I have been, beat scratchy's revenge, beat AI, completed the hurry ups, did pretzel (not needed, but still rare), complete daredevil, but needed one more super jackpot, and although I did mystery spot and didn't win, had only one more 2x to light for it, and had two locks on the couch for the reg multi ready... I was so close.

If I could have started both and stacked them, I would have had a very good chance to get the last two things. 367M, which is now my GC.

There is no doubt an argument to be made that this is the best machine ever made.

#10 10 years ago

The worst part about TSPP is finding a decent deal on one that needs help, rebuilding 5 flippers sucks I just found one, but after parts, not so much of a deal.

Other than that, it's a pretty crazy good game. I wish there was a little more incentive to play the modes. I play the duff mode every time because 10 ramps shots is an extra ball, but it's too easy to skip them to get to AI.

The level of strategy is beyond any other pinball. The voice acting, the art, all top notch. Once you dial in the VUK to the mini and the stronger coil int he garage the game is super solid.

Great game.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The worst part about TSPP is finding a decent deal on one that needs help, rebuilding 5 flippers sucks
Other than that, it's a pretty crazy good game. I wish there was a little more incentive to play the modes. I play the duff mode every time because 10 ramps shots is an extra ball, but it's too easy to skip them to get to AI.
The level of strategy is beyond any other pinball. The voice acting, the art, all top notch. Once you dial in the VUK to the mini and the stronger coil int he garage the game is super solid.
Great game.

Dialing in the VUK is huge. The switch in mine was somewhat weak, it wouldn't always register and sometimes would take a bit before it would launch the ball. Now that i installed a new switch, there's almost no wait time, the ball is on the upper playfield instantly. I also added the stronger coil in the garage, but i notice that sometimes if the ball gets in the way while the door is opening, it'll sag a bit until it closes and re-opens.

#12 10 years ago

Great machine yes. I have locked 5 balls, it's super tough, but I dont remember much happening after it was completed. I have also collected all the kids (25)

#13 10 years ago

One of the best machine ever !!

#14 10 years ago

When and how do you get to the mode that changes the flipper buttons to the opposite flippers?

#15 10 years ago

Springfield Mystery Spot, that was a fun mode! I had this pin twice, but honestly once you really start to master it, it loses it appeal, at least, it did for me.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

once you really start to master it, it loses it appeal, at least, it did for me.

DOH!!!

#17 10 years ago

Fun game, I (sometimes) miss mine. Couch multiball is great, maybe my favorite multiball, ever. I didn't care for Mystery Spot. I have other complaints about this game, but it's a praise thread, so I'll keep those to a minimum.

So what was your score on that game?

#18 10 years ago

I like the game, but I suck at it. I cant seem to get a decent score. I like to blame that on a missing gate by the nuclear stacks. Not having one means the ball is in and out without really accumulating any points. Or I just suck at TSPP haha,

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I like the game, but I suck at it. I cant seem to get a decent score. I like to blame that on a missing gate by the nuclear stacks. Not having one means the ball is in and out without really accumulating any points. Or I just suck at TSPP haha,

large paperclip reshaped

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Springfield Mystery Spot, that was a fun mode! I had this pin twice, but honestly once you really start to master it, it loses it appeal, at least, it did for me.

So you got to the SDMEWM?

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I have other complaints about this game, but it's a praise thread, so I'll keep those to a minimum.

What are they? I don't think there is anything wrong with objectively noting what you do not like. I would like to know though, as I can't think of much wrong with TSPP that I can think of, other than I would have liked the otto shot to kick out much faster.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I like the game, but I suck at it.

Are we related?

#22 10 years ago

Shampo is better

#23 10 years ago

No conditioner is better

#24 10 years ago

Ooo really fool

#25 10 years ago

To get to the reverse flippers you need to complete all of the Otto playfield doubblers.

Best I have done is 503million that's 3 ball game extra balls on outlanes closed with Mystery giving relight TV if TV is not lit.

Completed AI,Hurry Ups, All supers and dare devil. Started Scratchy's revenge and mystery spot but didn't finish them.

#26 10 years ago

Ok, one of the great things about TSPP is how intuitive and well explained the modes are. I love Bart's Day and Homer's Day, it's so easy to explain to people, and really had a sense of progression.

How is that a dislike? Well, the thing people constantly praise people for is stacking. Stacking is great in some ways, but in other ways it takes away from each individual mode. I really like the individual modes, but when you get a number of them stacked together, the charm of them just sort of disappears,and you're sort of just hitting anything and scoring ridiculous points. I don't necessarily claim it would be better without stacking, but if you're playing for anything than fun, you're really better off to stack as much as possible.

Next, the lack of not only Marge/Lisa, but female voices in general. Removed from ownership, the only quote I can think of right now is one of the twins (hail to the bus driver). As good as the callouts are, it just feels like a missed opportunity to have so few female characters.

#27 10 years ago

Next, the lack of not only Marge/Lisa, but female voices in general. Removed from ownership, the only quote I can think of right now is one of the twins (hail to the bus driver). As good as the callouts are, it just feels like a missed opportunity to have so few female characters.

I thought that was Ralph Wiggum saying that?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I thought that was Ralph Wiggum saying that?

You're probably right, now that I think of it. It was always a hard voice to place for me. I just know they didn't get the Marge/Lisa voice actors, so it wasn't Lisa.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from collin_m:

Best I have done is 503million that's 3 ball game extra balls on outlanes closed with Mystery giving relight TV if TV is not lit.

Outlanes closed? As in you have what, a rubber completely blocking balls from entering the outlanes?

#30 10 years ago

Ok, one of the great things about TSPP is how intuitive and well explained the modes are. I love Bart's Day and Homer's Day, it's so easy to explain to people, and really had a sense of progression.
How is that a dislike? Well, the thing people constantly praise people for is stacking. Stacking is great in some ways, but in other ways it takes away from each individual mode. I really like the individual modes, but when you get a number of them stacked together, the charm of them just sort of disappears,and you're sort of just hitting anything and scoring ridiculous points. I don't necessarily claim it would be better without stacking, but if you're playing for anything than fun, you're really better off to stack as much as possible.

This a very fair point. There should be a way to turn stacking off. Imagine if LOTR allowed stacking. Xmen has an adjustment to allow hero stacking or not. This is the best game of all time in my view, but all games have things that could be better. That said, the strategy is to get as mny modes going at once before starting MBs.

#31 10 years ago

Thunder pants!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

Jean-Luc-Picard said:

large paperclip reshaped

missing the entire gate not just the wire.

#33 10 years ago

Excellent game, possibly my favorite modern Stern because of its depth and stacking opportunities.

#34 10 years ago

I love the stacking in the game. It allows for great points, and to rush you through a bit. It all fairness, the modes in TSPP don't have all shots lit, only monorail, but you have to return to the couch to reset. In fact, in trying to think about this, each mode other than mono has only one shot lit at any one time... Wiggum starts with three, and goes to one, but really, you're going to the otto first, but that means for the most part even if you stacked three modes, only three shots for the most part at any given time are lit.

Not to mention that TSPP is also one of the most difficult machines to restart a mode on: right orbit, hit garage, enter garage or treehouse, upper left to behind TV, but you usually want to bat around the unlock a lock first before starting. Although I have started I believe three to four modes at once before, it's not easy, and all the stuff to even get there usually times out the first, and I can't imagine you doing to well on the second with the time left. When I do stack modes, it usually happens with homer's mode, as it's a natural transition back to starting another one, provided you work in the right orbit at some point.

I like stacking for any machines, and maybe that's just a personal preference, but in games where it isn't, I usually feel it should be there. But I take each game as they are presented for the most part. TOM is a "you are doing this now" with no stacking whatsoever, LOTR allows stacking with MB's for modes, but modes can't be stacked. TZ and TAF allow everything to be stacked. I enjoy what is presented.

In all fairness, you never really do as well at each mode if you have too many stacked anyway, it's more for getting through the modes, rather than giving you a better opportunity to do well at each. In TAF, I try to avoid, and don't like when I stack tunnel hunt with séance, as if you light the mode start again by hitting the ramp while doing the tunnel hunt, then you are going to start séance when hitting the chair, and then you are racing to get the last 15m shot of each mode, which are big important point shots for this machine, and the time for each allows for only a small amount of error. Nice touch mind you, as you have to really consider your shots.

As for the female voices, meh. I guess it would be nice, but all of the call outs now are so well done, I wouldn't want to lose any of them. I think this is so small of an issue as well, not under minding your issue of though, because most people that haven't been actually *told* about this, don't even realize that a female voice is not in the game - I didn't. You're like, "oh yeah...." when you first read about this, which means it's not really all that missed.

If I had my say for what changes I would like for TSPP, I really can't think of anything other than speeding up the return of the otto shot, or just making that loop instead of stop. I really think the game is near perfect. The height of Stern was seen when TSPP and LOTR came out, Keefer did us all a huge favor with the rules for each.

#35 10 years ago

looked like 2003 was a good year for Stern. : P

#36 10 years ago

I've completed 5 of the 6 requirements on one game, with only the couch missing (could only manage 3 of the 5 supers).
The stacking of modes really allows a better chance of completing each one, by virtue of resetting the timer each time a new one starts. I have managed to complete all 7 modes off one timer (with the help of starting Frenzy as well as other Treehouse awards) and ended up with 2.5m victory laps lit on all shots, with some doubled up to 5m. Finished the game with 450m.
AI isn't so hard to complete if your upper flippers are working perfectly, I probably have about a 50% completion rate. The trick is concentrating on gettting the couch locks, the others just seem to fall into place or are easy to hit when you only have 1 or 2 balls on the playfield.

Have to agree that the ruleset is one of the best I have played, can't really fault it at all.

#37 10 years ago

I didn't realize the timer restarted if you started another. Either way, if you are stacking modes, you are doing it on purpose, and not accidentally like in other games. It's a lot of work to do, so you are there again because you wanted to be.

#38 10 years ago

Great comments / thread. I'm so happy to see TSPP getting some much-deserved love! After about a month now, I've managed to get my GC up to 246M. Yes, the TV modes lose some "individual attention" with all the stacking -- but not to the casual players -- who don't know stacking from fracking. I'm gonna go play now...

#39 10 years ago

happy donuts !!!

simpsons-pin-flipper-tops.jpgsimpsons-pin-flipper-tops.jpg

#40 10 years ago

happy donuts !!!

simpsons-pin-flipper-tops.jpg 191 KB

That's pretty sweeeeeet!

#41 10 years ago

happy donuts !!!

simpsons-pin-flipper-tops.jpg 191 KB

Mmmm donuts! Where did you get those?

#42 10 years ago

I agree TSPP is awesome.
It's the only pin I own or have ever owned. I'd love to have a Family Guy to go next to it, but I've never played one and I'm afraid it wouldn't compare.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

I agree TSPP is awesome.
It's the only pin I own or have ever owned. I'd love to have a Family Guy to go next to it, but I've never played one and I'm afraid it wouldn't compare.

It's equal if not better Way better sound, that's for sure. Great toy. Keith Johnson coded it. Very deep. Two games with wizard modes no one will ever see lol

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mmmm donuts! Where did you get those?

i picked them up at a little game event in houston a few months ago.
have some for TAF and Tron too.

tron pin flipper tops mod 4.jpgtron pin flipper tops mod 4.jpg
TAF-flipperTops-btm.jpgTAF-flipperTops-btm.jpg

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's equal if not better Way better sound, that's for sure. Great toy. Keith Johnson coded it. Very deep. Two games with wizard modes no one will ever see lol

I've had FG for awhile now, and turning out to be one of my favorites!!!....I am joining the TSPP club VERY soon, so will be able to put them side by side and have a blast!!!

#46 10 years ago

i really like this game, but it is a horribly frustrating game, especially hitting the left ramp with the right flipper.

it also seems to really be one of those games that really has to be tuned in just right otherwise it can suck to play. i've played several different ones and the range of how they play is huge. if that top most flipper on the upper playfield isn't in prime shape, it's almost not worth playing.

#47 10 years ago

I'm in the process of rebuilding all 5 flippers. Got the main ones done, I don't think very many people rebuild the uppers and sometimes they need them. However, even with fresh flippers, you need to hit the sweet spot to get the ball on the couch.

I also agree about the treehouse shot, I think that is a really hard shot.

Quoted from Dommer:

i really like this game, but it is a horribly frustrating game, especially hitting the left ramp with the right flipper.

it also seems to really be one of those games that really has to be tuned in just right otherwise it can suck to play. i've played several different ones and the range of how they play is huge. if that top most flipper on the upper playfield isn't in prime shape, it's almost not worth playing.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I also agree about the treehouse shot, I think that is a really hard shot.

Yeah, most games with an upper flipper ramp shot tend to have the sweet spot near the lower part of the flipper. On TSPP, the lower part will get you to Comic Book Guy's target or the pops...you have to flip a bit more near the middle to hit the Treehouse ramp. I don't think the shot is "hard" really - I think a lot of us just have a different 'flip instinct' due to other games.

#49 10 years ago

I rebuild all flippers on every machine I get, this one got all 5 at that time as well. The upper ones are still under the main PF, making it much easier to work on.

The treehouse shot I find is easier if I bend forward and try to watch is happening directly above. I have never done this with another machine, but this seems to work for sizing up the angle. I also find I can hit it easier when it comes around the left orbit as opposed to popping out of the otto saucer, I'm guessing because the orbit keeps it snug to the right side.

I always found the upper flipper shot stupidly hard on RBION when it would trickle back down, as it may not be against the orbit guide, or the spinner might change its speed. I hated that shot, made those upper PF shots overly difficult.

#50 10 years ago

Love those flippers. Gonna have to make some.

It's really hard to fault. It has everything and some awesome wizard modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-is-the-best and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.