(Topic ID: 42404)

#Tron Pro vs. Tron LE? Pros / Cons other than big time cash?

By Beez

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bjorg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

What are the feature and benifit differences here?
I understand the LE is big time cash so if I purchase a PRO will I be disappointed after playing an LE? Just wondering? Thx

#2 11 years ago

Don't ask me...

#4 11 years ago

^
|
2 up

He just can't let a single thread about Tron go. Nobody has any idea what he says because most have blocked him, but like the energizer bunny he keeps going.

On topic: I don't think you get twice the game for paying twice the price to get a Tron LE. Pro model has 95% of the same gameplay.

#5 11 years ago

I'd rather have a Pro and a second pin. The price gap is that wide.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

On topic: I don't think you get twice the game for paying twice the price to get a TRON LE. Pro model has 95% of the same gameplay.

I totally agree. I think if they come out soon with mod software for color changing wire-then it really becomes little difference between the two-especially for the $$$$-and actually I really like the el-wire mods as well.

#7 11 years ago

If we could turn back time and go back to the Summer of 2011, the price difference was about $1,200 I believe.

At that price difference, the Tron LE crushes the Tron Pro. The lack of drop targets, moving recognizer and Fiber Optic Light Tubes makes this comparison a route.

When you take away the price tag and place a brand new, out of the box Tron Pro next to a brand new, out of the box Tron LE, the Tron LE wins by a landslide.

Fast forward to 2013, and with available mods, the Tron Pro is closer to a Tron LE, but still lacks that special "something" that Tron LE has in spades.

If Stern would have simply created one version of the game with drop targets, moving recognizer and the light tubes, they could have priced it at $5,000 -$6,000 and sold 2,000 games easily. Maybe it evens starts to approach 5,000+ units.

Of course, this is all based on hindsight. If Stern was able to predict the future popularity of Tron, we might have Tron Premiums in the market next to a Pro and a Quorra/Clu LE version.

But that is not our present. Right now, out of the box, a Tron LE crushes Tron Pro. Tron LE has an extra multiball and a more difficult method of earning an extra ball. Add this to the drop targets, and I believe Tron LE is superior to Tron Pro. The ability to mod a pro makes the game play very, very similar, but in a straight comparison between the two machines, Tron LE wins.

At least in this pinheads opinion.

Marcus

#8 11 years ago

Is a hemi better than a six pack?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

If Stern would have simply created one version of the game with drop targets, moving recognizer and the light tubes, they could have priced it at $5,000 -$6,000 and sold 2,000 games easily. Maybe it evens starts to approach 5,000+ units.

Which is why I think the Premium models exist now. Stern realized that once the LEs were sold out they were leaving money on the table.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

If we could turn back time and by I Want This" href="#" in_rurl="http://i.trkjmp.com/click?v=VVM6MzQ3NjM6MTM1MjpnbyBiYWNrOmQwNDZmODdjZjIxOWI2MmNiNDY4NDZiMmNmYzQxZTdkOnotMTE0NS0yNzEyNzpwaW5zaWRlLmNvbTozNjU2NjoyNWMxNmEyN2RiM2FkOWNmYjNhNWJmNjZkNzdmNzgwYg">go back to the Summer of 2011, the price difference was about $1,200 I believe.
At that price difference, the TRON LE crushes the Tron Pro. The lack of drop targets, moving recognizer and Fiber Optic Light Tubes makes this comparison a route.
When you take away the price tag and place a brand new, out of the box Tron Pro next to a brand new, out of the box TRON LE, the TRON LE wins by a landslide.
Fast forward to 2013, and with available mods, the Tron Pro is closer to a TRON LE, but still lacks that special "something" that TRON LE has in spades.
Of course, this is all based on hindsight. If Stern was able to predict the future popularity of Tron, we might have Tron Premiums in the market next to a Pro and a Quorra/Clu LE version.
But that is not our present. Right now, out of the box, a TRON LE crushes Tron Pro. TRON LE has an extra multiball and a more difficult method of earning an extra ball. Add this to the drop targets, and I believe TRON LE is superior to Tron Pro. The ability to mod a pro makes the game play very, very similar, but in a straight comparison between the two machines, TRON LE wins.
At least in this pinheads opinion.
Marcus

And you're doing this comparison just side by side, yes? No discussion of how much a Pro or LE cost now? Without the cost comparison, I believe anyone would take a LE over a Pro, that's easy. When you factor the difference in cost, not such an easy decision.

#11 11 years ago

As someone who as owned a pro for a bit more than a year now, they are both great machines. If you held my feet to the fire I would say I would rather have the LE, but even the pro is an amazing game. When I bought the difference in price was already huge. And even then it would have been better to get the LE.

HOWEVER, I love my pro. It is a really fun machine, and I have not regretted buying it for a second. I love the gameplay of it, and really that is all that matters. I've put about 850 games on it so far, and the nice part is that I don't worry about how many plays it has. If it was worth twice as much I might start thinking that I play it too much and that it hurts the value.

So if cash is burning a hole in your pocket, the LE is fantastic. And if you are on a normal budget, the pro is fantastic. Stern has done games since then that the difference was much bigger. The difference between AC/DC pro vs premium seems HUGE.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

And you're doing this comparison just side by side, yes? No discussion of how much a Pro or LE cost now? Without the cost comparison, I believe anyone would take a LE over a Pro, that's easy. When you factor the difference in cost, not such an easy decision.

Yes, That is what the title of this thread states... Pros/Cons other than big time cash.

Cost changes the discussion about value for your money, but it doesn't change the fact that the Tron LE is a better machine, Out Of the Box, than Tron Pro.

Marcus

#13 11 years ago

Rarehero’s posts are among the best on Pinside. I'd ask him. He'd give you an accurate answer.

#14 11 years ago

I don't think you can objectively claim that the Pro is as good as the LE. It's simply a fact that the LE will always be superior if you don't want cash to be part of the equation. The thing is, for very, very few people cash isn't a consideration.

#15 11 years ago

Played Tron LE at PHOF. Loved it, but since I can't afford one, I'd stick to the Pro. To be honest, if you can't afford the LE version, just buy 2 Tron Pros.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Yes, That is what the title of this thread states... Pros/Cons other than big time cash.
Cost changes the discussion about value for your money, but it doesn't change the fact that the TRON LE is a better machine, Out Of the Box, than Tron Pro.
Marcus

Of course, pretty sure any LE version of a pin would be held in higher regards than a Pro version of the same pin....

#17 11 years ago

TRON LE has lit color changing ramps, chrome rails and lock down bar & legs, drop targets instead of stand up targets, moving recognizer, and an extra multiball (daft punk multiball). The playfield on the LE also came with an extra coat of clear.

The LE looks great and the lit ramps really make the pin pop without a doubt. The gameplay is just about identical. The daft punk multiball is pretty cool. It really comes down to how important aesthetics and the multiball are to you . To some it is very important. There is a mod that is supposedly coming out for the pro to light the ramps very similarly to the LE but then again that is not a sure thing. On a pin this expensive I would say track one down and play it before spending that much on it. I could not justify spending $5,000 more for the LE but that is just like my opinion man. Both are sweet pins either way your getting a winner.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

TRON LE has lit color changing ramps, chrome rails and lock down bar & legs, drop targets instead of stand up targets, moving recognizer, and an extra multiball (daft punk multiball). The playfield on the LE also came with an extra coat of clear.
The LE looks great and the lit ramps really make the pin pop without a doubt. The gameplay is just about identical. The daft punk multiball is pretty cool. It really comes down to how important aesthetics and the multiball are to you . To some it is very important. There is a mod that is supposedly coming out for the pro to light the ramps very similarly to the LE but then again that is not a sure thing. On a pin this expensive I would say track one down and play it before spending that much on it. I could not justify spending $5,000 more for the LE but that is just like my opinion man. Both are sweet pins either way your getting a winner.

Dude, that is about as good of a summary as could be written!

I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed that the LE had an extra coat of clear compared to the pro?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Dude, that is about as good of a summary as could be written!

I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed that the LE had an extra coat of clear compared to the pro?

Thanks Rob. You know I am not positive about the extra coat of clear but for some reason I remember that being one of the selling points of the LE. Anyone else know for sure one way or another?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

He just can't let a single thread about Tron go. Nobody has any idea what he says because most have blocked him, but like the energizer bunny he keeps going.

We got it already, you have him on ignore.

How is this helpful?

#21 11 years ago

Thanks Rob. You know I am not positive about the extra coat of clear but for some reason I remember that being one of the selling points of the LE. Anyone else know for sure one way or another?

Yep, I remember it being one of the selling points too, but it might have been based on prior releases (like LOTR LE) and nothing official from Stern. But like you, I'm not sure.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Rarehero’s posts are among the best on Pinside. I'd ask him. He'd give you an accurate answer.

Quoted from SealClubber:

How is this helpful?

This was

#23 11 years ago

If you can afford the LE, I'd buy the LE. It is a pinball experience like no other. The end.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

How is this helpful?

Well for one, it shows that if a person has another person on ignore, and the ignoring person attacks the ignored poster without knowing what they've said, they themselves show how ignorant they are regarding the statements made by the ignored poster and show themselves as a personal attacker.

#25 11 years ago

Also silver-lined inserts, the spinning disc changes from Red to Blue, the Tron inserts are different & the Recognizer has individual inserts that roam & correspond to each target.

#26 11 years ago

Tron Pro is a very fun pinball game. It's a little easy to get lost in the forums of conversation. I don't disagree with Marcus at all. If I were not able to an LE and I really wanted a Tron pinball, I would happily buy a pro.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I have a feeling you're being sarcastic...lol....but...uh...thanks? I dunno.

I think there are plenty of good points in this thread already, so I don't have much to add. Personally, I love the LE and wouldn't really want a Pro...but, if I didn't have the LE already I wouldn't want to spend so much to get it...so, I probably WOULD get a Pro if that was my situation....Unless I was a billionaire ...then I wouldn't care, I'd get an LE.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have a feeling you're being sarcastic...lol....but...uh...thanks? I dunno.

No. I am being honest. After reading your posts, you're among the best.

#29 11 years ago

I have a NOS Tron LE Playfield next to my other Stern NOS pf's on my wall, definaty extra CC. Also confirmed by Stern' Patrick Powers back when I had a warranty. I had a disc issue and he confirmed these le's had extra CC on them when asked.

Played the Pro, own an LE. The LE is just a complete package the Pro cannot touch. My friends wanted me to sell my LE and get a pro and another pin, after MUCH discussion and debate, family said no! I have to admit it would take silly-stupid money to sell her now.

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#30 11 years ago

with price consideration, the pro for sure. I mean double the price because of some drop targets and recognizer that moves? so what if the recognizer moves, is that a big deal? the biggest deal is the lighted ramps. if the mod comes out for this, which it will, then the pro is a no brainer. now if money is no object, then I can see the LE. The LE has the chrome which is nice, but not a big deal either, some people might not even prefer it.

#31 11 years ago

Can someone explain to me why I should care about drop targets? After many incidents of the ball getting stuck on top of the Avengers Thor drop targets, I fail to see the value. Soooo frustrating.

My first two new Sterns are LE machines, so I was a bit shocked when I unboxed my Tron Pro. I wasn't expecting a plastic apron, goofy pegs instead slides, and the new dual latch lock down bar. All of which I plan to remedy in the near future. I modified my arcade cabinet (thanks Tilt), added the Hallmark light cycles, and installed the Flynn sign. My plan is to do the EL ramp lighting this weekend.

I know it will never be an LE but I have had a great time so far modding and playing this machine. Again, it may not be an LE but it is still an awesome machine. If you like modding, the Tron machine is a great choice. Have fun!

#32 11 years ago

The mod for the lighted ramps will make it look similar to the LE but cannot duplicate it. On the LE the ramps all change color at once and match insert colors or modes. The aftermarket mod is sound activated at best to change colors. It is a very nice mod and attractive for sure, but does not function in any way as the LE lighting does.
And as mentioned, there are many other differences. The LE playfield is a totally different playfield too. I'm not trying to hype the LE because I have one, just trying to make sure that someone does not put out the cash for the pro thinking they can turn it into an LE with an expensive light kit. If I did not have an LE I would probably put the ramp light kit on a pro. Its a very attractive feature that makes your game stand out from the other games in your collection.
Regarding the extra coat of clear on Tron LE, we had rumors before production that it would have the extra layer. However, when the advertisements came out for the LE there was no mention of an extra coat of clear. My playfield does not seem to have an extra coat of clear although its hard to tell being that Stern was still doing a terrible job of their clearcoat on the Trons. They were all somewhat rough and with orangepeel. They kicked up their playfield surface quality bigtime by the time they made Xmen LE and it is very obvious that there is extra clear on Xmen at a much higher level of quality than their previous games.
AC/DC was between them and some were higher quality and some of them were not. There is a good chance the new runs of AC/DC have a smoother surface than some of the original AC/DC LTBR/BIB editions. Some of the pics of the early run AC/DC games were not very complimentary to Stern's quality levels of the playfield finish.

#33 11 years ago

playernumber4 - After snagging your awesome MM, I could only afford a Tron Pro.

Is it me or is this hobby crazy addictive?

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Is it me or is this hobby crazy addictive?

Umm .... YES

#35 11 years ago

Beg to differ; their is a mod being worked on by several people that will be out very soon and works just as good as the lights on the le and uses the same fiber optics, but it produces even more colors

#36 11 years ago

Playernumber4 said: "The aftermarket mod is sound activated at best to change colors. It is a very nice mod and attractive for sure, but does not function in any way as the LE lighting does."

This is incorrect I believe they are developing something that would read speed of the hardware in the machine so the lights will change different colors in different modes. Not sure he can pull it off but sure hope he can.

6 months later
#37 10 years ago

He did

#38 10 years ago

The LE is way better! I am biased though

2 months later
#39 10 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3258

thought's on this pimped out pro being presented as ELE?

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from systemlcp:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3258
thought's on this pimped out pro being presented as ELE?

Its a snazzy machine all the way around and everything is done for you, great dude to do business with as well.

#41 10 years ago

With Eli's ramp mod out now I would go pro.

#42 10 years ago

LE if you can afford it but if you want you play, pro is the price of admission and with the light kit you'll soon forget this thread.............

#43 10 years ago

I don't think you could tell much of a difference with an LE. You get everything pre-installed, which is also a huge timesaver. I'd say go for it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-vs-tron-le-pros-cons-other-than-big-time-cash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.