Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TavaLee
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron_Protectors.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I know; Tronside, er Pinside, really needs another Tron post but.......... I want to give thanks and Props to several members who made some of the Tron Mods and let others know that these are easy to install (I have zero technical skills) and really enhance the game a lot. Each Mod was pretty much plug and play and required no tools beyond screwdriver, socket wrench etc.

Thanks to:

Kimball's Pinballs Tron Recognizer Light Mod Fantastic!

DK Pinball Flynn Sign Looks great!

Brian Hawkins
    (doctorquest on RGP) Arcade Cab, v2 Outstanding! Way better than stock

Cliffy Ramp Protectors Peace of mind, must have

Mantis Scoop Protector More peace of mind!

Little Shop of
    Games Plastics Protectors Translucent protectors are very cool!

So, Thanks Guys -- lucky to have you in the pin world.

(No, I did not add speakers or shaker or do the full LED treatment. Maybe someday.....)

#2 11 years ago

Oops -- forgot to include pinball_customs for the Recognizer Bank Decal. Perfectly integrated and winner of the easiest installation award! Looks great! Thanks.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

Brian Hawkins
    (doctorquest on RGP) Arcade Cab, v2 Outstanding! Way better than stock

Brian did a great community service by doing a run of these, but it was actually designed by Jeremy Williams (Tilt from PinHacks.) You should consider adding the LCD screen, I hear they're cool.

#5 11 years ago

Hey no problem! Glad you like it Definitely no tools required for mine haha.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks Jeremy! I'd lost track of who originally designed it. Great mod. The stock one was a bit cheesy looking.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

I know; Tronside, er Pinside, really needs another Tron post but

Personally I don't think there can ever be enough Tron posts!

#8 11 years ago

Best looking mod and best bang for your buck has got to be the FF Animated back glass kit! Its very very cool!

#9 11 years ago

Got the v2 cab yesterday. Very nice. Guess its time to sell the old one.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Best looking mod and best bang for your buck has got to be the FF Animated back glass kit! Its very very cool!

JJ - my game gets here today - Thanks! If I get this Back glass kit do I still need to buy LEDs for the backbox? I want to pick up the cointaker LED kit but trying to figure out which kit.

I also thank the guys and have bought/have the following:

Tron arcade w/screen - thanks Brian
    Cliffy ramp protectors - thanks Cliffy
    LSoG plastic protectors
    Mantis scoop protector
    Leg protectors
    Light cycles

My goal was to not play a game until I have all the protectors in place. I wanted to make sure the game stays like new.

Next on the list are
    FF backbox lights
    LEDs
    Kimballs Recognizer Mod
    Kimballs Splitter for all the Mods
    Ramp lights (waiting to see which ones I like the best)
    FF Speakers (will check the sound first)
    Flynn Sign (want to play a few games and get feedback if this blocks the playfield)

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Gexchange said:Best looking mod and best bang for your buck has got to be the FF Animated back glass kit! Its very very cool!
    JJ - my game gets here today - Thanks! If I get this Back glass kit do I still need to buy LEDs for the backbox? I want to pick up the cointaker LED kit but trying to figure out which kit.
    I also thank the guys and have bought/have the following:
    Tron arcade w/screen - thanks Brian
    Cliffy ramp protectors - thanks Cliffy
    LSoG plastic protectors
    Mantis scoop protector
    Leg protectors
    Light cycles
    My goal was to not play a game until I have all the protectors in place. I wanted to make sure the game stays like new.
    Next on the list are
    FF backbox lights
    LEDs
    Kimballs Recognizer Mod
    Kimballs Splitter for all the Mods
    FF Speakers (will check the sound first)
    Flynn Sign (want to play a few games and get feedback if this blocks the playfield)

Woohoo!

No LED's in the normal back box.. Just the Stern Florescent bulb. this replaces that fixture with a LED panel.

Everyone has enjoyed the Light up flynn Sign on Doc Scott's Tron. I can take some more detailed pictures of it next week.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

me too!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

This is a great mod I really like mine.

Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Got the v2 cab yesterday. Very nice. Guess its time to sell the old one.

Thanks am glad you like your 2.1V mini Tron cab

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

It does not block the playfield.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

marksf123 said:Flynn Sign (want to play a few games and get feedback if this blocks the playfield)
    It does not block the playfield.

The Flynn sign is really great. Doesn't block anything and Just adds to the great visuals on this pin. The LSoG protector that goes under the stock Flynn plastic is orange and really glows when the flasher goes off. I left the original Flynn plastic there as it all seemed to work together well. Enjoy it. Great game.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

The LSoG protector that goes under the stock Flynn plastic is orange and really glows when the flasher goes off. I left the original Flynn plastic there as it all seemed to work together well. Enjoy it. Great game.

Can we see some pics? Im wondering how the LSoG protectors compare to the pinbits ones.

#17 11 years ago

Thanks for the replys on the Flynn sign. I will be buying it this weekend along with a few other things.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Can we see some pics? Im wondering how the LSoG protectors compare to the pinbits ones.

I will have to get some pics once I set it all up - I always buy pinbits stuff (great service and products) but when I saw those orange protectors I could not pass those up.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Shadow said:The LSoG protector that goes under the stock Flynn plastic is orange and really glows when the flasher goes off. I left the original Flynn plastic there as it all seemed to work together well. Enjoy it. Great game.

This is not my machine but they're in this video which was posted by another pinsider to show his arcade mod:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8rqrwU-rpRk?autoplay=1&rel=0

#20 11 years ago

Thanks for the "list" of TRON mods.

Are there any others that are not listed above ??

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I always buy pinbits stuff (great service and products) but when I saw those orange protectors I could not pass those up.

It seems like the pinbits plastic protectors has 12 pieces (does not have the two round ones) where the LSoG set has 11 (two of them being round).

Tron_Protectors.jpgTron_Protectors.jpg

#23 11 years ago

I just ordered the LSoG ones.. looking forward to installing those.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

I just ordered the LSoG ones.. looking forward to installing those.

I have them on mine I think they look great.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

marksf123 said:I always buy pinbits stuff (great service and products) but when I saw those orange protectors I could not pass those up.

It seems like the pinbits plastic protectors has 12 pieces (does not have the two round ones) where the LSoG set has 11 (two of them being round).

I did not install those three round ones -- they're for the pop bumpers. Think they will need longer screws than stock due to added thickness of protectors. But they don't seem at risk to me anyway

#26 11 years ago

So it seems like the pinbits offers more "protection" (more pieces) then the LSoG, unless you are looking for colors.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Flipper Fidelity speaker upgrade and back box kits, shaker motor, Lazeriffic topper, LED kits, 3" action figures, Hallmark light cycles to replace stock -- sky's the limit on this pin. I did not do any of these but there are many posts in here re them. Click on the now large Tron tag on the left side of the forum page and you can see all the Tron posts. I've been trying to tag them as they come up

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Get yourself a P.I.G. to control some of those mods from DK.

I sarted this thread a couple of weeks ago. Most of the mods are covered there... I think

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-must-have-tron-mods

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

Flipper Fidelity speaker upgrade and back box kits, shaker motor, Lazeriffic topper, LED kits, 3" action figures, Hallmark light cycles to replace stock -- sky's the limit on this pin. I did not do any of these but there are many posts in here re them. Click on the now large Tron tag on the left side of the forum page and you can see all the Tron posts. I've been trying to tag them as they come up

I was looking at the FF speaker kit. I heard that the backbox was not that much of an improvement and that an EXT sub does much better. I order a 10" sub that I will hook up externally.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVQBA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Already have the shaker motor, Light Cycles, and Scoop Protector in hand. Will be getting the Cliffy Ramp Protectors soon (on the wait list). Should have the machine next week as well

I have been looking around at the backbox LED kits. Seems like FF has the best one for the price ??

I found the Lazeriffic topper but was debating on having a custom one created.

I just found the "TRON" search tag a few hours ago and that is actually how I found this thread. I was not aware that you could add "tags" so I will keep that in mind and try to "help" as I can

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Get yourself a P.I.G. to control some of those mods from DK.

I already have the PIG and Flynn sign on my list and will be ordering them very soon.

Thanks for the link to your thread.

#31 11 years ago

I was not aware, but it looks like laseriffic does custom work

http://www.laseriffic.com/product-category/custom-pinball-toppers/

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

I did not install those three round ones -- they're for the pop bumpers. Think they will need longer screws than stock due to added thickness of protectors. But they don't seem at risk to me anyway

Yes the GEM pop bumper needs longer screws. I am going to go to Home depot and pick some up. The other 2 pop bumpers screws worked just fine and I was able to install.

Quoted from asnatlas:

So it seems like the pinbits offers more "protection" (more pieces) then the LSoG, unless you are looking for colors.

Yes - I agree. I didnt notice that right away.... Also LSoG's kit is more expensive so it is a trade off for the buyer.

Quoted from Shadow:

Click on the now large Tron tag on the left side of the forum page and you can see all the Tron posts. I've been trying to tag them as they come up

Great - thanks!!

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

I order a 10" sub that I will hook up externally.

How does the sub hook into the game? This might be the way I go too....

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

How does the sub hook into the game?

From what I read you clip the wires from the factory sub and then just run them down to a powered external sub.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

It was a choice what to make protectors for and what not to. There were areas of the playfield that simply aren't at any danger of breaking due to ball impact so no piece was made, and some items were done purely for cosmetics as well. I suppose protectors for everything could have been made, but really it would have been simply to up the 'piece count' and not really adding anything beneficial to the game in some way

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from gamestencils:

It was a choice what to make protectors for and what not to. There were areas of the playfield that simply aren't at any danger of breaking due to ball impact so no piece was made, and some items were done purely for cosmetics as well. I suppose protectors for everything could have been made, but really it would have been simply to up the 'piece count' and not really adding anything beneficial to the game in some way

Very true, with that being said, if you are not worried about colors, would the kits be "equal" or one better then the other as far as protections ??

#37 11 years ago

Purely on their protective value, i think the kits are on equal footing. Both cover the areas prone to ball impact. But when you light the colors up, it's a whole different Grid

#38 11 years ago

The little shop of games plastic protectors look good. They glow from the lights and you can't discount the color effect. You only see the edge but in an LE that colored edge is noticeable and adds to the appearance. I didn't install the protector that went over the disc assembly because I couldn't get enough bite on the nut. I can't be sure if I installed the pop bumper protectors but I think so.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from TavaLee:

I didn't install the protector that went over the disc assembly because I couldn't get enough bite on the nut

Take the washer off and it will go right on also flip the lock nut over and it will stay on.

Little shop of games plastic look very cool the other ones look like clear plastic.

#40 11 years ago

I'll give that a try. I like the look so want them all on. I'll be doing the new recognizer mod soon so I'll be up there working.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from gamestencils:

Purely on their protective value, i think the kits are on equal footing. Both cover the areas prone to ball impact. But when you light the colors up, it's a whole different Grid

The colors really do look great and fit the theme well. They're worth it.

#42 11 years ago

Thanks for the thanks. Making these things has been a blast. I can't wait to unveil my next two mods. They aren't for Tron but I think people will really like them.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

They aren't for Tron but I think people will really like them.

BUT WE NEED MORE TRON MODS!

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from TavaLee:

I like the look so want them all on. I'll be doing the new recognizer mod soon so I'll be up there working

What is the new recognizer mod?

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

Thanks for the thanks. Making these things has been a blast. I can't wait to unveil my next two mods. They aren't for Tron but I think people will really like them.

Woodstock! Come play the collection some time here in MP.

#46 11 years ago

I'd love to, Just waiting for an invite

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Boatshoe:

What is the new recognizer mod?

Kimballs Pinball mod. Not new-just new to me!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-mods-thanks-to-mod-creators and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.