Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a6a7c8c260744f18affac5d7bcb15109901f8c34 (resized).jpg
    FirePinball-006.jpg
    FirePinball-002.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

My girlfriend bought me the Playfield polish kit for my birthday. I just have to say it works fantastic, I honestly could not believe how well it cleans and polishes the mylar and playfield.

My taxi had some swirl marks and what looked like cracks filled with carbon in the clearcoat. I tried to clean it with everything I could possibly think of, Mr. clean magic erasers, special wax/cleaner,simple green. they all cleaned it ok. But the maks were still noticable.

I used the kit, and it looks good as new now, maybe better.

My NBA fastbreak has a full playfield mylar, (I don't know why, it doesn't need it) but it was kind of scratched/dull. Now you can't tell its there. WOW.

I used it on my JM, and South Park too, SHINY!!

Great/amazing product, if you haven't tried it, and you have some questionable looking playfields I suggest you get it, it honestly worked wonders. I just wish I would have taken before and after pics.

#2 13 years ago

I too am glad I bought it. Made my dull as heck Corvette look almost new. I am hoping it does as good a job on my Batman Forever.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #4 13 years ago

Hmmmmm...... Interesting! I have a Tx-Sector that the mylar is real cloudy and dull looking, and I think this might resolve that!

#5 13 years ago

I too am in the market for something like this. Good gift homie.

#6 13 years ago

I have used the kit on 2 play fields, it works miracles on play fields and Mylar. I would highly recommend Treasure Cove's kit, you will be very pleased with the results!

#7 13 years ago

I would definately use it on your TX Schusler, the mylar on my taxi looks brand new now. Before it was pretty cloudy/scratched looking. I can't stop staring at it now, I honestly can't believe how great it worked. I ordered new glass now, because it is dull/scratched more than my playfield.

#8 13 years ago

You sold me on it, Erak! Thanks!

#9 13 years ago

Just wondering. Would top quality care products like Zaino work on the playing field as well as this Treasure Cove. From what I have been reading all these products seem to be just renamed car care polishes and waxes.

#10 13 years ago

It seems that most of this stuff is car care products. But since I am no expert at car paint restoration, I have to stick with the treasure cove and Novus stuff.

#11 13 years ago

"Would top quality care products like Zaino work on the playing field as well as this Treasure Cove?"

Absolutely. You just have to be careful about what's in them. Some things that are fine for a car will wreak havoc on a playfield.

#12 13 years ago

The Treasuercove kit comes with an instructional DVD. and the cleaners/polishes plus the buffing wheels for your drill. You cant mess it up if you follow the instructions, and at least you know you are using a proven product.

I would be weary about using something that wasn't tested and known to work.

i.e. experimenting with car polishes.

The buffing wheels and cleaners would probably cost you about the same as the kit costs, even if you could figure out what chemicals/compounds they are. Maybe a few bucks cheaper.

But the kit is worth the price just because it works.

#13 13 years ago

Agreed @Erak...

1 year later
    #14 11 years ago

I have a Funhouse that doesn't have the diamondplate playfied so I am thinking Novus may not be the best for it. Can the Treasure Cove product be used for non diamondplate finishes?

#15 11 years ago

I'm a fan. Here's a Fire! I used it on that had a full mylar.

FirePinball-002.jpgFirePinball-002.jpg FirePinball-006.jpgFirePinball-006.jpg

#16 11 years ago

I agree with all the positive remarks. It made my Class of 1812 (full pf mylar) look like clearcoat. Amazing.

#17 11 years ago

Which kits did you get? Shine master?

#18 11 years ago

It works well, but I feel you still need a few coats of wax to really get the gloss out.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

It works well, but I feel you still need a few coats of wax to really get the gloss out.

Actually wax does very, very little to add gloss. The gloss comes from the polishing. Wax is nothing but protection.

#20 11 years ago

Wow, look at the shine on that Fire!. Unreal. it looks great

#22 11 years ago

It works well but do not get off the Mylar if you are using the rough media. I got a spot between two pieces of Mylar on my PF and it takes the paints right off. My fault and I hate that I did it but now I get to practice painting.

1 month later
    #23 11 years ago
    Quoted from longspur:

Just wondering. Would top quality care products like Zaino work on the playing field as well as this Treasure Cove. From what I have been reading all these products seem to be just renamed car care polishes and waxes.

Not sure if Treasure Cove makes a special blend, but I have both the Treasure Cove kit and the 3M compounds (Finesse It and Perfect It) and they smell, feel, and look identical. I suspect TC is using 3M compounds and re-labeling the bottles for a markup.

However, in my opinion, it's still worth it to buy their kit as they've obviously put a lot of effort into putting all required items together (minus the drill) and including the DVD. This is a really great idea for people new to pinball who want to clean up their playfields, but can use the extra guidance that the DVD offers.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

My girlfriend bought me the Playfield polish kit for my birthday. I just have to say it works fantastic, I honestly could not believe how well it cleans and polishes the mylar and playfield.

My taxi had some swirl marks and what looked like cracks filled with carbon in the clearcoat. I tried to clean it with everything I could possibly think of, Mr. clean magic erasers, special wax/cleaner,simple green. they all cleaned it ok. But the maks were still noticable.

I used the kit, and it looks good as new now, maybe better.

My NBA Fastbreak has a full playfield mylar, (I don't know why, it doesn't need it) but it was kind of scratched/dull. Now you can't tell its there. WOW.

I used it on my JM, and South Park too, SHINY!!

Great/amazing product, if you haven't tried it, and you have some questionable looking playfields I suggest you get it, it honestly worked wonders. I just wish I would have taken before and after pics

Could we get some pics, I am interested in the mylar polishing. Thanks

#25 11 years ago

I used this on my NF that had a serious black/dull coating over the entire PF. Novus and elbow grease didn't even put a dent in it. Just did my RBION that looked really good without it, but it made it even better.

#26 11 years ago

It does do a very nice job. That is one beautiful looking fire PF.

4 years later
    #27 7 years ago

Four years later, is this still the recommended way to clean a playfield that has a full mylar? I know mylar is tough stuff, but is this actually wearing it thinner or does this not harm the mylar at all?

Any updates from folks that did this 4 years ago?

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Four years later, is this still the recommended way to clean a playfield that has a full mylar? I know mylar is tough stuff, but is this actually wearing it thinner or does this not harm the mylar at all?
    Any updates from folks that did this 4 years ago?

I polished my EBD playfield for two weeks with an old set of TC buffers, novus, and couple of other hi temp plastic polishes and it looks like glass. It works. Keep in mind, this playfield did not have mylar bubbling issues which would ruin the outcome.

a6a7c8c260744f18affac5d7bcb15109901f8c34 (resized).jpga6a7c8c260744f18affac5d7bcb15109901f8c34 (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Four years later, is this still the recommended way to clean a playfield that has a full mylar?

For sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/treasure-cove-playfield-polishing-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.