To shake or not to shake

By Grinder901

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So just saw the thread about shaker motors being sold and so I ask the collective: Do shakers make a pin better? I am new to this world. I just paid for an IM and a SST. Both are about to be shipped to me. So a shaker motor does just what it says? Makes the machine shake? Is this a mod I should invest in? Your thoughts and experiences are welcomed.

#2 10 years ago

So SST wont out of the box have the option to have a shaker in, you would have to tie it in to a flasher or something.

I'm Pretty sure Iron Man is setup and wired for a shaker. A shaker adds a bit of vibration to the game only in certain modes, for me it makes getting to that mode or feature that much more fun.

JJ

#3 10 years ago

Yes, a shaker motor basically just makes the machine shake. Whether or not you like it is really a matter of personal preference. There are a few games where they came factory and and are integrated well (Earthshaker comes to mind) where I don't mind them, but in general I find them really unnecessary and annoying. Others love them. Your best bet is probably to try and find a game on location or at a fellow collectors house that has one and see if you like the effect.

#4 10 years ago

Yea there in lies the problem. I live near Memphis, TN. Not too many collectors or players around here. I'm going to that Nashville auction in May so I'm sure I'm get a chance to experience plenty of them.

#5 10 years ago

Maybe Try one, then if you don't like it in IM then move it to another Stern when you get one.

JJ

#6 10 years ago

I would say there are more Collectors near you than you think. I personally love shaker motors, especially when the game was designed for them. There are a few others that have aftermarket solutions that are also integrated nicely (MM,STTNG,AFM) So I would definitely buy one for IM, SST I wouldnt.

#7 10 years ago

Grinder, I'm near Memphis. Looking forward to Nashville in May!

#8 10 years ago

As others have said, it's all a matter of personal preference. I have them in SM, LOTR, and AC/DC, and I really enjoy them in each. I've even considered adding one to my AFM, but haven't done so yet. I think the majority of people on here like them, but there are plenty who don't as well. Play some games and see what you think.

#9 10 years ago

Thing I have found with shaker motors is they shake everything loose.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for asking this. I know nothing about these, and have never played a game with one installed. Does a shaker motor enhance the experience of a TSPP, anybody?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Thanks for asking this. I know nothing about these, and have never played a game with one installed. Does a shaker motor enhance the experience of a TSPP, anybody?

TSPP doesn't support a shaker motor.

#12 10 years ago

I have one in WOZ and one in Tron. I have to say I'm not that big a fan of them. I have the WOZ one shut off. In Tron I have it on "minimum", so it only goes off in a couple of spots, like when you complete Quorra. Over used they actually disturb the playing experience. But of course that is just one mans opinion. I know others that love them.

#13 10 years ago

If a shaker is in the software,it should be the game. Especially Iron Man.

#14 10 years ago

Thank you. Glad I didn't buy one, then. LOL

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

If a shaker is in the software,it should be the game. Especially Iron Man.

This all day.

#16 10 years ago

I would say they add an element of intensity to the experience. I also have a lot of non-pinheads over, and the shaker motor on my SM never fails to get their attention. If a pin supports a shaker motor, I think it's a worthwhile addition.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Thank you. Glad I didn't buy one, then. LOL

No problem. Only some games support it. Here is a post that has some of them listed by Rarehero and others:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-stern-games-will-take-a-shaker-motor

And here is a list from IPDB:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=shaker&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Im sure there are probably others too, but that's a start.

#18 10 years ago

I am not always a fan of shakers. Some games integrate it better than others, and I have to say IM is one of my favorite uses of the shaker.

#19 10 years ago

I have a shaker in SM and STLE and love em. To me, they add a lot to the game. I think I'm going to get one for ACDC next. That's a great deal from Game Exchange.

#20 10 years ago

AC/DC is a must for a shaker. My LE came with one but I think Stern cut that experience after that.

#21 10 years ago

STLE is the first pin I have owned with a shaker. It is not over done at all in the code, and adds a whole new dimension to pinball. I never thought a shaker would add much to a game but I was wrong. I just ordered a vibrator for my Luci yesterday.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

I would say they add an element of intensity to the experience. I also have a lot of non-pinheads over, and the shaker motor on my SM never fails to get their attention. If a pin supports a shaker motor, I think it's a worthwhile addition.

Absolutely!!

#23 10 years ago

Done right, it adds another sensory feedback to the player. In games like AFM, it makes it feel like you really did blow up the ship. In MM, it really does feel like you're bashing on the gate. Done properly, it helps pull you in and give a full bodied experience; a complete package. I liken it to a ps4 controller without force feedback. The game seems somewhat hollow without it vibrating as you are getting shot in cod.

#24 10 years ago

Shake and bake! I have them in all of my newer Sterns that support them and love it!

Older games are not as easy to add shakers to though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.95
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 45.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-shake-or-not-to-shake-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.