Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by hlaj78
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I need to make a decision about whether to add LEDs when shopping my new White Water. I have a mixture of standard bulbs and LEDs in my other machines and don't have a strong preference either way. A lot depends on the specific LEDs, of course, so I was wondering if someone had used a ready-made set, like that sold by Cointaker, and what they thought of the result. Thanks.

I just heard from Cointaker. There are actually two sets, regular and "super." The regular version are supposed to be the same brightness as standard bulbs and the "super" are 3x brighter, which sounds too bright to me, but, then again, I haven't actually seen them. Have you?

#2 11 years ago

I did, as I mostly do, CT Frosteds in all the inserts expect the rafts (and maybe not Wet Willys).

I find that the frosteds are cheaper and work better/just as well as higher priced. They also work better in a wider variety of places. I thought the rafts looked better with bulbs so left them in there. I thought all other placed looked a lot better with LEDs. I had no issues with ghosting after an update to the newest ROM.

General concensus is not to do the kits. They have made their own decisions and what they feel is best, but you're opinion may differ.

#3 11 years ago

Mine uses CT frosted bulbs. Its plenty bright.

#4 11 years ago

check this out http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-translite-led a gentleman posted pics of his whitewater with leds

#5 11 years ago

the LEDs i used in my dr dude were from pinballife.com ablaze concave

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

check this out http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-translite-led a gentleman posted pics of his whitewater with leds

That animal is no gentleman sir!

Ah yes, thanks for posting this. This is in regards to the backbox which is described.

#7 11 years ago

I tired out some LEDs for the general illumination and switched back to normal bulbs because the LEDs don't dim correctly. The dimming of the GI before the whitewater multiball, ride the whirlpoool, is cool, and if you put in LEDs it kills that effect. I haven't tried any with the backbox yet. I like them in the inserts though.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I tired out some LEDs for the general illumination and switched back to normal bulbs because the LEDs don't dim correctly. The dimming of the GI before the whitewater multiball, ride the whirlpoool, is cool, and if you put in LEDs it kills that effect. I haven't tried any with the backbox yet. I like them in the inserts though.

+1 to this, the effect is GONE, keep standard bulbs in the GI if you want to keep that effect working. I put LEDs in my inserts, frosted blue around the whirlpool, and blue flashers. I like it, but YMMV!

#9 11 years ago

I used retros and premiums throughout, looks great. Much better than it did originally .

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

put LEDs in my inserts, frosted blue around the whirlpool, and blue flashers.

Quoted from Banker:

I used retros and premiums throughout

Can you be specific about what you used? I have never ordered separate LEDs and am fairly clueless. Many thanks.

#11 11 years ago

Cointaker blue frosted bulbs. I use these basically anywhere that a bulb has a condom on it. I like how they look, and well....just don't like using condoms

#12 11 years ago

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=4775EEB4596971B2F6405827DB632195.qscstrfrnt03?categoryId=6

So here are the frosted bulbs. To expand they works well in seen areas, like the whirlpool/light whirpool ramps up top, and also all inserts they do a job or reaching inserts that are straight up, and if the bulb is sideways from a board. AS you can see with the super brights, they sort of point straight so you'd have to use a flex or something else to reach a sideways insert
http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=60

I usually don't like to change many colors, but I did end up changing the river letters and light river inlanes to blue....there's already every other color insert so why not.

As I stated in the thread above for the backbox that was linked I used Pinball life frosted ablze 1s. They are cheap and many people do not like pumping the backbox up too much as it can be a distraction & overly bright.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1886

Alternatively I have heard many people talk aboot using CT frosteds or supers and only using them in a certain number of spots, and it will do the job. Anyway, you'll have to decide whether you want a cool white, like in my pics, or a warm white that would match the bulbs in the topper in appearence better.

'Usually' people like to use retros in GI situations because they look more like regular bulbs. I've gotten a little away from that and just save time/money and leave bulbs but like all of this it's personal taste.
http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=150

Good luck!

#13 11 years ago

Thanks very much to both of you for the helpful information! This gives me a lot more to go on.

#14 11 years ago

I jsut did my WW and bought a bunch from niftyled.com great service and great pricing and shipped quickly. frosteds for GI and backglass, I put red LED's under boulders to give the rocks a more natural appearance and twin LED or supers in the inserts. Looks awesome. Red Supers in the whirlpool. Fast colorchanger in Wet Willies. It's a pain but I always shut off and unplug machine, change bulbs and switch back on otherwise you run the possibility of shorting out a IC chip if you get a short...

#15 11 years ago

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Do you happen to know what quantities you ordered of each LED? I don't actually have the WH20 at my house (it's in the shop), so it's hard to order unless I just buy a pre-packaged set.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from SpaGuru:

It's a pain but I always shut off and unplug machine, change bulbs and switch back on otherwise you run the possibility of shorting out a IC chip if you get a short...

Never heard that one before.

#17 11 years ago

Cointaker LEDs can look great if done right. I prefer wide angle frosted LEDs so that the light is spread out diffusely. On Whitewater, I used the light matrix layout in the manual to 'design' my own kit. However, I had to count up and decide the color for the playfield and backbox GIs by hand. Wherever a white insert is in the game, I went with a blue LED and I also used blue LEDs for most of the playfield GIs. On top of that, I added a couple of cheap light mods from judge-dredds-pinball on e-bay and made my own under-cabinet LED light strip mod. You can see the end result on page 15 of the thread for gameroom pix.
Howie

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

17,250 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-cointaker-leds-in-white-water and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.