Thinking of a TRON mod..

Started 2 years ago by pinball_customs in forum All PinballAll Pinball.

Forum » All Pinball » Topic

Thinking of a TRON mod..

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by pinball_customs
  • 15 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from pinball_customs

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years ago
    #

I was thinking a simple, cool little mod would be to throw a powerball in the mix.. it'd be like a white "Kevin Flynn" ball. I know it doesn't change scoring or anything, more for a visual effect. That said, I've never actually played a powerball before. Are they much different? I hear they're faster.

Anyway just a thought.

- B

2 years ago
    #
    pinball_customs said:

I was thinking a simple, cool little mod would be to throw a powerball in the mix.. it'd be like a white "Kevin Flynn" ball. I know it doesn't change scoring or anything, more for a visual effect. That said, I've never actually played a powerball before. Are they much different? I hear they're faster.
    Anyway just a thought.
    - B

Try it out, its your game. I like the black pearl balls, and the other specialty balls for specific games. I think the SM ones with the webbing on them are a nice touch for that table.

2 years ago
    #

Black pearls are pretty sweet... tough to see on dark playfields though. It's a shame no one's come out with coloured balls, seems like a fairly tasteful mod (although I'm not sure how easy it would be).

I guess my only concern is the speed of the power ball, I don't want to smash the crap out of my playfield. Maybe I'll wait 'till Cliffy's ramp protectors are out

2 years ago
    #

Just throwing it out there, but I don't know if a Stern machine could handle the force of a PowerBall all that well ...

2 years ago
    #
    Nibbles said:

Just throwing it out there, but I don't know if a Stern machine could handle the force of a PowerBall all that well ...

2 years ago
    #

^I'm serious, Tron is a fast game already, you throw a PBall in there and you have a serious risk of doing some serious damage.

2 years ago
    #

Aren't there already a couple of Sterns with Powerballs?

2 years ago
    #
    shock_me said:

Aren't there already a couple of Sterns with Powerballs?

2 years ago
    #

I wouldnt throw a Powerball into a Stern. Nothing against Stern (i love them!) but that would be insane the ball would break stuff - its light and flies fast.

2 years ago
    #

Does software recognize the power ball in Avatar? Or is it no different than adding one to a pro?

2 years ago
    #
    markmon said:

Does software recognize the power ball in Avatar? Or is it no different than adding one to a pro?

In the LE, yes.. double scoring I think?

2 years ago
    #

RS LE and Avatar LE have power balls. I think they are around $30 bucks
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1293&parent=0

they are about 3/4 the weight of a normal pinball so they do haul ass

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,343,923 3
    2 years ago
    #

I wouldn't put one in my Tron for concern of too many airballs. Tron is one of the fastest pins out there, no need to speed it up even more with a powerball imo.

2 years ago
    #

Have one in my Tron - love it! Yes it moves fast but nothing is broken in over 200 games. Its a fun aspect with every 4th ball! Fits the theme well.

2 years ago
    #

There's a Tron with 3 powerballs at a place called brixie's in brookfield illinois (near chicago). I must say it's insanely fast, and whoever the operator is, is probably making a mint off it ($1/game):
    http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/brixies-bar-and-grill-449-brookfield-illinois-united-states

2 years ago
    #

That sounds crazy. I was worried about standing or drop targets. Ramp entrances and trough and kickout sensors if IR. I think the speed it would add would make tron crazy fast.

Your pin do what you want to it if it creates a problem remove it fix the problem and continue
    just my opinion =-)

Good luck and update us on any issues, likes or dislikes.

2 years ago
    #

Go for it. I've only played with powerballs in my TZ, but they would be something else on TRON!
    Sure, they're faster, but also lighter. I don't think you'd get much damage... just make sure to get Cliffy's ramp protector first (once they're ready).

2 years ago
    #
    pinball_customs said:

Anyway just a thought.
    - B

I've had a powerball in mine since day 2 of ownership installed last July. No airball problems, broken parts, etc. The game plays just like normal except for that ball being about 20% faster than the others. My son Kyle calls it the "Kevin Flynn" ball as well. Fits the theme well.

2 years ago
    #

Thanks guys, sounds like it's worth a try.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple