(Topic ID: 27743)

Thickest playfield glass for modern stern?

By Toasterdog

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure 3/16" is standard, but could I go with 1/4" for added sound deadening?

My RBION seems quieter than Tron. Glass maybe a little thicker, but haven't measured. Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Never measured but the glass I buy from Pinball Life seems alot thicker. I doubt you will get a lot of sound deadning with 1/16 thicker. Also may not fit in the slides.

Swap the 2 and see.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Never measured but the glass I buy from Pinball Life seems alot thicker. I doubt you will get a lot of sound deadning with 1/16 thicker. Also may not fit in the slides.
    Swap the 2 and see.

Actually 1/4 inch glass provides A LOT of sound deadening over 3/16. Not only is it 33% heavier, it fits into the channel so tightly that it completely eliminates rattle. It is a must for games that have a subwoofer upgrade. Every once in a while I would find a machine that 1/4 won't fit into. Once you have one game with 1/4 inch glass in it, just try it in any new machine you pick up before ordering the glass to make sure it fits.

#4 11 years ago

My durango uses laminated glass to reduce sound. I am sure thicker glass cuts down pin noise as well

#5 11 years ago

I honestly thought on the newer Sterns the glass was a bit thicker on mine, talking XMEN and AC/DC.

#6 11 years ago

The glass is standard 3/16. If you put 1/4" glass in, it will be tight. In some cases the 1/4" won't fit at all. If you are looking for sound deadening due to a sub, I suggest lining the sides of standard glass with electric tape.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

My durango uses laminated glass to reduce sound. I am sure thicker glass cuts down pin noise as well

Only laminated glass your Durango has is the windshield and that's a safety measure. All other windows should be tempered.

Quoted from John_I:

Actually 1/4 inch glass provides A LOT of sound deadening over 3/16. Not only is it 33% heavier, it fits into the channel so tightly that it completely eliminates rattle. It is a must for games that have a subwoofer upgrade. Every once in a while I would find a machine that 1/4 won't fit into. Once you have one game with 1/4 inch glass in it, just try it in any new machine you pick up before ordering the glass to make sure it fits.

I dunno why I didn't think of that, just trying my RBION glass in my Tron. The pin seems quiter for sure, the glass seems thicker and my glare guard fits very, very tight...unlike my Tron glass. Hopefully it works, because it does make a difference in sound. Thanks

Didn't think about the lack of rattling as well, the shaker in Tron gets a little nutty sometimes.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The glass is standard 3/16. If you put 1/4" glass in, it will be tight. In some cases the 1/4" won't fit at all. If you are looking for sound deadening due to a sub, I suggest lining the sides of standard glass with electric tape.

Trying to muffle the sounds of flippers, coils, slings and tron disc mostly. I can turn down the sound but not all the other noise that goes with it.

#9 11 years ago

Does anyone in particular sell 1/4" thick glass? Or should I just be tracking down tempered glass at some hardware store that will cut it to size? I, too, am interested in quieting down my machine... it is a Williams though.

#10 11 years ago

You can order a sheet at your local glass shop.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from decktard:

Does anyone in particular sell 1/4" thick glass? Or should I just be tracking down tempered glass at some hardware store that will cut it to size? I, too, am interested in quieting down my machine... it is a Williams though.

Go to a local glass shop. It cost me around $40 for a cut to size piece (wide body, in this case) and to have it tempered. That was 3/16", not 1/4", but the lady said price would be the same if it was 1/4".

I tried my glass from RBION in Tron, it is the same thickness ...sigh. I think 1/4 will work in Tron, my glass slides fairly easily. I'm going to try because I think it will be an improvement and reduce sound a little bit. Plus I can use the better glass I replace in Tron for RBION.

#12 11 years ago

What works better for sub rattle - 3/16 with electrical tape or 1/4 straight up?

#13 11 years ago

If you desire thicker glass why not order 1/2 thick (or ?) and have the edges beveled to 3/16 or 1/4 to fit.

Not my cup of tea but a suggestion. Sound doesn't bother me but the glare does.

Kim

#14 11 years ago

i don't think 1/4 is going to fit well. it will be really tight.

personally think most of the noise is coming from the flippers and it's coming throught the coin door. not sure thinker glass is going to do much. it will still be noticable.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

What works better for sub rattle - 3/16 with electrical tape or 1/4 straight up?

Electrical tape. 1/4" glass really doesn't fit very well.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

works.. give it a try.. you can always take it off if you dont like it..

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Electrical tape is a nasty sticky mess. Not allowed anywhere near my pins. Pinball Pro sells anti rattle tape that also works well for subwoofer rattle. 1/4 inch glass is definitely best though - if it fits.

#18 11 years ago

Has anyone ever lined a cabinet with sound foam to try and absorb the noise of the mechs?
    Seems something like this might work better.
    I think that 1/4 glass is gonna be really tight.

#19 11 years ago

You can test a piece of 1/4" glass without buying a whole sheet.

I just tried a scrap and it fits. Wax the edges before inserting it and it slides in smooth as silk.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thickest-glass-for-modern-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.