(Topic ID: 140968)

The New Pinball Dictionary

By FunWithBonus

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpg

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

Hello Pinside!

The mission of The New Pinball Dictionary is to gather terms used by the pinball gaming community which may or may not be a part of the official lexicon. Besides, some of these terms are just made-up … ^_^

If you have a suggestion for a nomination to the New Pinball Dictionary, or you would like to support, “second”, or improve something that has already been nominated, please use this forum topic to participate.

Thanks for your contributions!

I had been using ...

Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/PinballDictionary/)
    Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/FunWithBonus)
    Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/funwithbonus/)
    Twitter (http://twitter.com/FunWithBonus)

... as ways for people to post and upvote/downvote terms. However, I want to provide as many ways as possible for pinballers to make suggestions, without having to wait for me to post them. I wonder why I haven't done this before.

Those terms that receive a large amount of support will be promoted to the "Hall of Fame" main page.

http://pinballdictionary.org/

#2 8 years ago

Pinagogue: Pinball house of worship.

Synonyms: arcade, game room, pin palace, man cave.

It is here where the religion of Pinduism is practiced, and the god Pinballah is worshipped. We read from the Holy Book, the High SKoran. Battles with the Flying Habitrail Monster and Tilt Chamberlain (chronic tilters) are frequently engaged here

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Pinagogue: Pinball house of worship.
    Synonyms: arcade, game room, pin palace, man cave.
    It is here where the religion of Pinduism is practiced, and the god Pinballah is worshipped. We read from the Holy Book, the High SKoran. Battles with the Flying Habitrail Monster and Tilt Chamberlain (chronic tilters) are frequently engaged here

It looks like we are off to a great start!

#4 8 years ago

Good idea Steve!

#5 8 years ago

Pinsider DoubleDanger has some good ideas that need words...

Quoting DoubleDanger:

" ... two things that I would love to know if you have already named:

1. The extra attraction to the drains/outlanes that a ball seems to have immediately after you've been awarded an extra ball. I swear I seem to drain within seconds of my getting an EB about 90% of the time!

2. When a ball drains and rolls backwards far enough up the outlane until it hits a coil switch that activates an outlane ball saver that puts it back into play. For example, I've seen it happen a lot in Firepower. It's like an extreme reverse Lazarus ball, but the kicker back into play makes it extra awesome and makes me think it needs a name! I think this is one of my favorite things to see happen in pinball!

Thanks, and hope you enjoy these! Let me know if you come up with anything clever! "

Part of my reply:

"... #1 is particularly intriguing. I have felt this happen to me and other players often.

For #2, I didn't have anything specific other than putting as one of the sub-categories of bounce back/Lazarus Ball. I agree that it deserves a separate name.

If you have come up with something good before me, let me know. Most of the terms have come from the community."

#6 8 years ago

OMG = one more game

#7 8 years ago

This one came up last night while playing Tron and my friend left the sea of simulation hanging twice and never cashed it in.....

While playing Tron if you light the sea of simulation and never end up collecting it, this is now referred to as.... "close but no sea-gar"

#8 8 years ago

7 - 10 split = draining 2 balls in a multiball simultaneously out the right and left outlane

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shenanigander:

7 - 10 split = draining 2 balls in a multiball simultaneously out the right and left outlane

That's a winner, there. A good synonym for Stereo/Split Drain.
    http://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-split-drain-stereo/

#10 8 years ago

I like that this forum topic can also be used get different words that players use to describe similar things.

What would be a good way to handle synonyms, especially for the main page?
    http://pinballdictionary.org/

Sometimes, there have been multiple suggestions underneath a main one.
    Example: http://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-seal-chimp-gorilla-flipping/

Other times, there have been two separate entries on the main page linking to the one that was suggested first.
    Examples: Lazarus vs. Zombie Ball on the main page.

How about just copy-paste-ing the same definition for a synonym, and giving it a separate post and entry? This could mean a separate blog entry as the daily post on the main site: http://funwithbonus.com

#11 8 years ago

How bout JPOP'd? As in, some of my friends were JPOP'd and their azzes are still sore.

1 week later
    #12 8 years ago

Pingefest:

Playing so much pinball that your hands, back and feet are killing you. The moment your body tells you to stop and take a break....you deduce you simply must play MORE pinball!

Oh, and a big congrats on your win, Steve!

1 week later
    #13 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Pingefest:
    Playing so much pinball that your hands, back and feet are killing you. The moment your body tells you to stop and take a break....you deduce you simply must play MORE pinball!
    Oh, and a big congrats on your win, Steve!

Thanks!

I've certainly done this, especially if there's a Grand Champion score to chase that I just couldn't quite reach.

#14 8 years ago

I actually have a term named after me. Dixoning the flippers. To not leave the flipper up for more than 5 seconds during multiball thereby preventing cradling of the balls.

#15 8 years ago

Drainsplosion:
    When 3 or more balls collide during multiball and all of them go directly to a drain.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Drainsplosion:
    When 3 or more balls collide during multiball and all of them go directly to a drain.

Also.. A newton drain is when 2 balls collide and both drain ☺

#17 8 years ago

Dead flip. The art of taking a sip of your favorite beverage whilest doing absolutely nothing with flippers but the ball stays in play!

#18 8 years ago

Deplungesion:
    When you score less than the score of a player whose ball was being plunged off.

That word isn't the smoothest, though, so maybe someone else can think of something better.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from FunWithBonus:

. When a ball drains and rolls backwards far enough up the outlane until it hits a coil switch that activates an outlane ball saver that puts it back into play. For example, I've seen it happen a lot in Firepower. It's like an extreme reverse Lazarus ball, but the kicker back into play makes it extra awesome and makes me think it needs a name! I think this is one of my favorite things to see happen in pinball!

I call that a Resurjection. Maybe Rezejection. I never tried to spell it before.

#20 8 years ago

Brown robbie: when repairing pinball machines one needs a good variety of tools. Screwdrivers such as Phillips, slot and Robertson are usually required. Always bring your "brown robbie" (beer) as it can often be the most important tool

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Dead flip. The art of taking a sip of your favorite beverage whilest doing absolutely nothing with flippers but the ball stays in play!

How about the Dead Flip Sip

#22 8 years ago

1. The extra attraction to the drains/outlanes that a ball seems to have immediately after you've been awarded an extra ball. I swear I seem to drain within seconds of my getting an EB about 90% of the time!

Wreckstraball! (Or Wrextraball)

Synonyms:
    Reject-straball (Rejextraball for short)
    Extra Brick
    Defect-straball (Defextraball for short)
    Extract Ball
    InfectsAball
    What-the-heck-stra-ball?

When a ball drains and rolls backwards far enough up the outlane until it hits a coil switch that activates an outlane ball saver that puts it back into play. For example, I've seen it happen a lot in Firepower. It's like an extreme reverse Lazarus ball, but the kicker back into play makes it extra awesome and makes me think it needs a name! I think this is one of my favorite things to see happen in pinball!

The Lazeralus!

(Combination of "lateral" and "Lazarus". The save happens on either lateral side of the game, so it's a "lateral save" or Lazeralus).

Synonyms: LatLaz/LaterLaz/Lateralus/Lateraz/LazLat

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Quoted from JoelOmatik:

How about the Dead Flip Sip

I think "Dead Sip" has some huge potential.

#24 8 years ago

"Avatarred" as a synonym (or possibly the inspiration) for "Travelling."

http://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-travelling/

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shenanigander:

Brown robbie: when repairing pinball machines one needs a good variety of tools. Screwdrivers such as Phillips, slot and Robertson are usually required. Always bring your "brown robbie" (beer) as it can often be the most important tool

Don't forget your vice grips!

#26 8 years ago

I think "Dead Sip" has some huge potential.

Loving the dead sip! (obviously) haha

#27 8 years ago

Now multi drains have lots of terms right??

Baby Ruth Bar

Everyone out of the pool!!

Let's really get this topic blazin!

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Baby Ruth Bar

A common term I heard is Simuldraneous. Was it Bowen Kerins that coined it?

Synonyms:

Torrential Drains
    Runaway Drain
    MultiFlaw
    A Drain in the Ass
    The Drain in Spain falls mainly in my pain
    Category 5 HurriDrain
    Insane in the Drain
    The drain of my existence

Many, many more

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Baby Ruth Bar

Thanks for the support, CNKay!

#30 8 years ago

Need something to describe the drain that happens when you try to do a dead flipper pass / bounce pass, but instead the ball lands in that space between the top of the flipper and the bottom of the inlane plastic area.

So the ball hits that area, and it either redirects straight down the middle at high-speed, or it hops up a few inches and arcs down the middle.

Frank Romero suggested the "Bunny Hop."
    I sometimes call it a "Joint Drain" because it landed on the joint.

#31 8 years ago

Around me we call that the "Crook Drain", but I'm sure someone out there could come up with something more clever.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Around me we call that the "Crook Drain", but I'm sure someone out there could come up with something more clever.

Is that inspired by someone named "Crook" to whom this happens often?

OH WAIT! You mean the crook of your arm? That's not bad.

#33 8 years ago

Is that inspired by someone named "Crook" to whom this happens often?
    OH WAIT! You mean the crook of your arm? That's not bad.

Yup, because it hits the "crook" between the flipper and the guide.

That might be able to get a catchy nickname, like "getting crooked".

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Yup, because it hits the "crook" between the flipper and the guide.
    That might be able to get a catchy nickname, like "getting crooked".

Plus, "crook" is good because it's related to robbery. It could be said that "Oh, they thought the bounce pass would be fine, but they got robbed by the crook."

#35 8 years ago

Need something to describe the drain that happens when you try to do a dead flipper pass / bounce pass, but instead the ball lands in that space between the top of the flipper and the bottom of the inlane plastic area.
    So the ball hits that area, and it either redirects straight down the middle at high-speed, or it hops up a few inches and arcs down the middle.

We call it a "Joey" because it is like a little kangaroo hop.

#36 8 years ago

1) How about the Side Trampoline Careen?

Since the ball basically does a lateral trampoline bounce off the f$&@%ing bottom inlane return guide, then careens so blissfully like a gymnast between the flippers.

2) Or, the Triple Lindy (Flipper Pindy?) -A fancier version of this annoying drain.

Taken from the hilarious Rodney Dangerfield diving maneuver from the classic '86 film "Back To School".

The ball bounces emerges from the top of the playfield, off the top slingshot post (sometimes bouncing here more than once), onto the f?$&ing bottom inlane return guide, then into the outhole. 10-10-10! Just insert this music for added effect (starts at 1:10). Armpit farts not included.

#37 8 years ago

Here's my contribution.

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
    #38 8 years ago

Nomination by Chris Compton on facebook:

Peavlered: getting kicked by a player when you are standing too close trying to watch their game. "Brian Dye was way too close to Werdrick. I think he got peavlered."

--I usually try to discourage using proper names ... but this one ...

#39 8 years ago

Another nomination by Chris Compton on facebook:

Clustervuk: when you fire multiple balls into the same vertical upkicker and the game can't get them out.

#40 8 years ago

OK,i got one for ya,i call the Bobble!! when,despite your best effort with the flippers,the ball just bobbles off the tip of the flippers and drains anyway!!

#41 8 years ago

Pinister: Minister of Pinball. Aka, a very skilled player.

Yeah, more pinball religion just because.

#42 8 years ago

Teabagged. When two balls go straight down the centre drain at the same time.

#43 8 years ago

We need a name for when you are bricking your shots so badly that the game actually goes into ball-search mode.

Bricklayer
    Master Mason
    Doinkologist

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

We need a name for when you are bricking your shots so badly that the game actually goes into ball-search mode.
    Bricklayer
    Master Mason
    Doinkologist

I submitted a term for this to the pinball dictionary a while ago, but it seemed to fade away. I called it Barn Dance. When the game does a ball search while you're playing, because you can't hit the side of a barn.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Bricklayer
    Master Mason
    Doinkologist

there is a name for that: "skill search"

#46 8 years ago

Pinfolk \'pin-folk\ noun 1. The pinball friends with whom one plays so frequently as to feel a familial, almost tribal attachment. Derived from 'kinfolk.' Ex. "Do you want to go see a movie?" "Sorry, I've got weekly league with my pinfolk tonight." 2. A less pejorative term for the community of pinball enthusiasts as a whole. Ex. "Look at all those pinheads going to Chicago for Expo." "Haven't you heard? They prefer to be called 'pinfolk' now."

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from DoubleDanger:

Pinfolk \'pin-folk\ noun 1. The pinball friends with whom one plays so frequently as to feel a familial, almost tribal attachment. Derived from 'kinfolk.' Ex. "Do you want to go see a movie?" "Sorry, I've got weekly league with my pinfolk tonight." 2. A less pejorative term for the community of pinball enthusiasts as a whole. Ex. "Look at all those pinheads going to Chicago for Expo." "Haven't you heard? They prefer to be called 'pinfolk' now."

I like it! The singular version of this should be Pindividual.

#48 8 years ago

Is there not some site called stucky balls where you post odd places your ball gets stuck? Why cant I find it? I figure you would know Steve

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Bricklayer
    Master Mason
    Doinkologist

Postmaster General

#50 8 years ago

The A-Team: Where you spend 3 minutes shooting the ball but don't hit crap.

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-pinball-dictionary and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.