Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

I posted this on my local Florida Forum. I figured I'd cut and paste it here as I am welcoming a discussion in my current frustration.

Sorry so long.

I have been trying so hard to reach this seemingly mythical mode. To my knowledge nobody has ever reached it legitimately. The best I have read about is 4 blinking lights (Bowen) and I am sure others have done it as well. I have achieved 4 on my game (set to factory) and it was a miraculous and rare feat.

Recently I was playing Iron Man on location and it is set up easier than mine at home in that the outlanes are all the way closed where mine are open one from the top. Now immediately, I can anticipate the “oh the game is too easy that way.” That was my thought too, and I figured I could go full throttle toward Do or Die Multiball. But I keep hitting the 4 blinking light roadblock, just more often now, with the 5th (usually Drones) just out of reach. It finally dawned on me that I need to have a near perfect game to do this.

As a quick refresher, my understanding is for DoDMB, you must earn all the blinking lights:

Complete 3 sets of Iron Man targets
Earn the SJP on War Machine
Earn the SJP on Iron Monger
Earn the SJP on Whiplash
Complete 4 sets of Drones (light WM MB 4 times basically)

Note: (I actually thought it was 3 sets, and when I earned the 3rd set recently, I was rudely awakened)

This does not need to be on one ball which makes it different from regular Do or Die.

Let’s look at the optimal set-up on how to reach it:

Ball one goals, not in any order:

Play one round of Iron Man, earn the SJP for Iron Monger, get the first round of Drones, light War Machine, start Whiplash (I like to use War Machine and Whiplash together), earn the SJP for War Machine and Whiplash. (Way easier said than done BTW)

By this time you would have earned 4 Marks for those tasks (Drones will not light a Mark and keep in mind you do not need a SJP to earn a Mark). You have also probably completed a set of SHIELD lanes, which lights a Mark. If you went for Bogey ramps that would have also earned a Mark.

If you did the above and avoided Bogey you would be at 5 Marks. Now you have to be careful. You are close to Jericho being lit. It is either going to light from the next Iron Man target set or if you play Bogey. So here, I would AVOID Bogey and just go for the Iron Man targets to be 2/3 of the way to the Iron Man blinking light. Once you complete that 2nd set (again assuming you did everything else I described), Jericho will be lit.

Note that if you start Jericho, you have to win it to keep on playing that ball and of course you make ZERO progress toward any other goal. If you fail, you reset the Marks and start again and even worse are now on Ball 2.

Finishing Jericho is a bear, but it can be done. Whether you finish it or not, after you are done the Marks reset. Most likely, you will not finish it before draining. Not being pessimistic, just that is the likely outcome since it takes so many shots to finish it.

But let’s assume you are on a roll, the ball does not drain and now have 4 blinking lights on Ball one and Jericho is lit or you played it and won it (even better!) You have to work on 3 more sets of Drones.

This becomes quite the chore since each round you have fewer Drones available to hit. If you have avoided Jericho, it is still lit and 2 of the available Drone targets you need are right near the center shot. They are also the risky ones to hit. You could try for the War Machine target to add an available Drone target (Jarvis says “Drone added”).

Of course in our perfect world you have not drained yet.

Despite our daydreaming here, chances are you are going to stumble into Jericho eventually. Once it is over you are back to most things earning Marks (a set of SHIELD lanes, Iron Man targets, Iron Monger multiball, War Machine and Whiplash, Bogey) and climbing dangerously close to Jericho AGAIN. So I would still suggest, stay away from Bogey.

In short, Jericho is NOT your friend if you are trying for DoDMB. If you are on Ball 3 Jericho really becomes a “do or die situation” since you are locked in.

In summary, I feel the hardest thing to do is get that 4th set of Drones. Since 50% of the drone targets are located near the Jericho shot, your best bet for getting the Drones done with less worry is to go for them first, light WM, go for the next set, play WM etc. Or else just play Jericho as fast as possible-Ball 2 at the latest.

I would say 95% of games played by ANYONE are not going to result in a perfect first ball scenario. That is, the ball will drain along the way and Jericho will probably be lit on ball 2 or ball 3. If Jericho is achieved on Ball 3, the chances of reaching DoDMB are extremely slim since winning Jericho is rare.

So your best chance for DoDMB is reaching Jericho on Ball 1 and just getting it over with by winning it or draining and moving on. Then be careful as you get closer to the 2nd Jericho.

Misc. Tips I find useful:

If the game has a ball saver, use the ball save time to work toward the tricky side-to-side Iron Man targets. You can accomplish a lot in 5 seconds

Learn to backhand WM to add Drones

Avoid playing Iron Monger after you earn the SJP. It interferes with Drone targets and you cannot work toward Whiplash

I hope to reach DoDMB eventually. Unfortunately my best hope right now is on a game not set purely to factory.

If anyone has reached DoDMB, I’d love to hear about it.

#2 11 years ago

Might I suggest not shooting the ramps? That'd probably help you a great deal.

#3 11 years ago

4x drones seems cruel. I don't ever expect to see DoDMB. I did complete Jericho once, but don't know if I can even do that again.

#4 11 years ago

So is DoDMB different than regular Do or Die? I haven't played a whole lot of IM, but I know I've hit DoD.

If they are same, what's the legit way to achieve this? I thought it was just completing all characters on one ball?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from PwninShiznat:

So is DoDMB different than regular Do or Die? I haven't played a whole lot of IM, but I know I've hit DoD.
If they are same, what's the legit way to achieve this? I thought it was just completing all characters on one ball?

Read the OP's post (or at least the first couple paragraphs) again. It's very different and much more difficult than getting DoD.

#6 11 years ago

Is DOD multiball the new Valinor?

For a 'shallow' game IM has a heck of a lot going for it

#7 11 years ago

IM is pure genius.

#8 11 years ago

+1

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Read the OP's post (or at least the first couple paragraphs) again. It's very different and much more difficult than getting DoD.

Okay, I see, regular DoD is all characters lit, DoDMB is all characters flashing. Right?

Holy S!%$, that's crazy.

#10 11 years ago

I have gotten do or die several times, but dodmb, I didn't even know existed.......crazy, you are right, that would be a lucky ball if it didn't nose dive the outlanes

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Might I suggest not shooting the ramps? That'd probably help you a great deal.

Although I don't explicitly state "don't hit the ramps" in my diatribe, I discuss avoiding Bogey a couple of times, which stay away from the ramps is what I meant

In summary there is nothing with the ramps that helps the DoDMB cause. (Except in mb where they are jackpots you need. And of course in mb, advancing Bogey is inactive)

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is DOD multiball the new Valinor?
For a 'shallow' game IM has a heck of a lot going for it

I say that factory settings vs. factory settings DoDMB is a harder goal than Valinor. (Sorry KEF, I think Valinor is great, but holy crap this DoDMB concept is killing me)

The reason is this: You CANNOT earn extra balls in Iron Man. There are numerous extra balls available in LOTR. Because you don't have a way to earn extra balls, when you run into Jericho you have a HUGE task in front of you and are likely going to forfeit that ball. (BTW on factory settings on my game I have 100% finished Jericho only 3 times-the factory outlanes are BRUTAL.)

So without the extra balls, you are in trouble when you hit Jericho and it is almost impossible to avoid at some point in your game.

Sticking with the IM vs LOTR idea-

Jericho is similar in effect to DTR. Once you are in it, you have to finish it and continue your ball or you fail and move to the next ball. When you are in those modes any subgoals you need are not advanced. Yes DTR is the last thing before Valinor, but to my knowledge winning Jericho is not a prerequisite to DoDMB.

EDIT: Quick clarification: In DTR, if you are playing as a 2 ball mode, and you lock the first ball in the ring and drain the other ball before knocking the first out, you can still continue on with the ball in play but DTR is over. In one ball mode, it is all or nothing.

#13 11 years ago

Great thread. Thank you. IM is One of my favorites and as good a game I'll have, the dodmb seems unicorn like on a three ball game. Thanks for the map and I will try. Now I have to avoid the ramps also known as a second to breathe

#14 11 years ago

Ive owned IM since january, Ive completed the DoD jackpot 4-5 times or so? Man that feels sweet! Then its right on to Jericho. I have jericho set to ball carry over, yes I know thats cheating.....dont hate!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Ive owned IM since january, Ive completed the DoD jackpot 4-5 times or so? Man that feels sweet! Then its right on to Jericho. I have jericho set to ball carry over, yes I know thats cheating.....dont hate!

Well, I would not call it cheating, per se. With Jericho carryover, there are more chances to finish Jericho, but that locks you in to that mode even longer. I want Jericho over with as fast as possible if I am on a quest for DoDMB.

I think carryover would fine if you could earn several EBs. That way if it took 2 or 3 balls to complete Jericho you still had reserves to play the remainder of the game.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I say that factory settings vs. factory settings DoDMB is a harder goal than Valinor. (Sorry KEF, I think Valinor is great, but holy crap this DoDMB concept is killing me)

While that may be true, IM and LOTR are very different games built during very different times. LOTR was built when Stern was just getting their legs under them. IM (and BBH) were built as a last gasp effort to increase location sales with shorter ball times. After that experiment (too little too late), they went on to embrace the home buyer with Avatar LE and all the other LE's.

Besides, how hard it is to get to a wiz mode doesn't say anything about how good the game is. IJ4's wiz mode will take you at least 45 minutes of plowing through requirements before you get there. Doesn't make it a good game or wiz mode.

Some games the wiz mode doesn't matter anyway. My favorite Stern, FGY, is a good example. TV mini wiz mode is one of the best wiz modes ever (mini or otherwise). That's the only goal I have when I start a game. (it's also very lucrative points-wise for those who would accuse me of being a mode player). I can't even remember the name of the final wiz mode without looking it up. Doesn't matter. Same goes for DOD MB. IM is a classic 'one ball game'. At the start of every ball, your goal is to reach DOD and Jericho. If you don't, you (figuratively) start all over on the next ball.

#18 11 years ago

Jericho is similar in effect to DTR. Once you are in it, you have to finish it and continue your ball or you fail and move to the next ball. When you are in those modes any subgoals you need are not advanced. Yes DTR is the last thing before Valinor, but to my knowledge winning Jericho is not a prerequisite to DoDMB.
EDIT: Quick clarification: In DTR, if you are playing as a 2 ball mode, and you lock the first ball in the ring and drain the other ball before knocking the first out, you can still continue on with the ball in play but DTR is over. In one ball mode, it is all or nothing.

Last night I got Do or Die then shortly after went into Jericho. I then drained really fast (lots of swearing) and then on my next ball, I was still in Jericho. Is that how it's supposed to work?

#19 11 years ago

I've only completed 3 of the 5 inserts. I've never heard of anyone getting to Do or Die MB.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

While that may be true, IM and LOTR are very different games built during very different times. LOTR was built when Stern was just getting their legs under them. IM (and BBH) were built as a last gasp effort to increase location sales with shorter ball times. After that experiment (too little too late), they went on to embrace the home buyer with Avatar LE and all the other LE's.
Besides, how hard it is to get to a wiz mode doesn't say anything about how good the game is. IJ4's wiz mode will take you at least 45 minutes of plowing through requirements before you get there. Doesn't make it a good game or wiz mode.
Some games the wiz mode doesn't matter anyway. My favorite Stern, FGY, is a good example. TV mini wiz mode is one of the best wiz modes ever (mini or otherwise). That's the only goal I have when I start a game. (it's also very lucrative points-wise for those who would accuse me of being a mode player). I can't even remember the name of the final wiz mode without looking it up. Doesn't matter. Same goes for DOD MB. IM is a classic 'one ball game'. At the start of every ball, your goal is to reach DOD and Jericho. If you don't, you (figuratively) start all over on the next ball.

I don't disagree with your points. I was simply stating I feel the task of reaching DoDMB is harder than Valinor based on how the games are set up on factory.

LOTR is a terrific game, one of my favorites and I have owned mine NIB when it first came out. IM is a very good game as well but for quite different reasons. I was not trying to globally compare the 2 games other than what I mentioned about Jericho and DTR locking you into that mode.

In all the games on my Iron Man (about 2000, not all mine of course-others play) there are only 2 games longer than 15 minutes (both mine), with the top 2 scores in the 245 MIL range (both mine). Most games are very quick, very low scoring. In contrast, the first time I reached Valinor I was on that game for 1.5 hours. It was exhausting and thrilling. LOTR is epic, but based on about 8 years of owning/playing LOTR and 2 years of Iron Man, I see DoDMB being harder to reach unless I add in at least one extra ball.

Just my opinion from lots and lots of plays on both games.

And the final wizard mode on FGY is Sperm Attack-another good game

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Last night I got Do or Die then shortly after went into Jericho. I then drained really fast (lots of swearing) and then on my next ball, I was still in Jericho. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Check your settings. Sounds like Jericho Carryover is active. It is a user option. I have my carryover disabled. Personal preference.

#23 11 years ago

Pinballcorpse, can you tell me exactly what qualifies for a Super Jackpot in War Machine and Whiplash? I know when I get into those modes that I need to complete something, but I'm never sure of exactly what it is, often because I try to stack them as best as possible with other stuff at the same time (IE Bogey -> Whiplash -> War Machine).

I've messed a little with the game with the glass off to try to tell, but I feel like that is cheating and I'd rather talk with someone who knows

#24 11 years ago

One other question - Something I've noticed with mine is that the Whiplash targets also award letters toward IRON. It seems that it starts with N and works it's way backwards. I have even been able to start Iron Man scoring from those targets. Is this normal behavior? If so, does anyone know the progression that it is actually doing?

Also, Pinballcorpse, would it also be worthwhile on a DODMB trek to avoid lighting all of the roll overs at the same time, and actually actively try to not achieve them, to prolong Jericho?

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

IM is a classic 'one ball game'. At the start of every ball, your goal is to reach DOD and Jericho. If you don't, you (figuratively) start all over on the next ball.

You only restart DOD, not Jericho qualifying. And DOD multiball qualifications don't reset either if they're flashing. The only thing on Iron Man that is one ball related is the Do or Die hurryup miniwizard. I think I just had this discussion in another thread, there's this weird notion that Iron Man is only a one ball game when it really isn't any more than any other game...is st:tng a one ball game because the warp modes reset back to 1 on the next ball? It's exactly the same thing.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

I've only completed 3 of the 5 inserts. I've never heard of anyone getting to Do or Die MB.

Same here. War Machine, Whiplash and Monger (got whiplash and war machine during the same stacked mb). Never finished any of the others, let alone during the same game. I like Jericho carryover because you have a chance at 50M. You don't ever have a chance at DODMB, so forget about it.

#27 11 years ago

I don't disagree with your points. I was simply stating I feel the task of reaching DoDMB is harder than Valinor based on how the games are set up on factory.

By saying 'Sorry KEF...', you seemed to imply that DOD MB was a better goal than Valinor because it's harder to reach. I just pointed out that the payoff isn't always worth the journey. Being harder doesn't always mean being better.

IM and LOTR are polar opposites. Both are great examples of their time. If you could only own two games and had those two, life could be a lot worse.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

You only restart DOD, not Jericho qualifying. And DOD multiball qualifications don't reset either if they're flashing.

You quoted it, but I don't think it sunk in...

Quoted from phishrace:

If you don't, you (***figuratively***) start all over...

I'm well aware of the rules. It's still a one ball game. On STTNG, you progress through the modes towards the wiz mode with each ball. With IM, you try to reach the wiz mode every ball. That's not a bad thing. In fact, in IM's case, that's half the attraction.

#29 11 years ago

To take it a step further, IM is a one ball game in a good way. Another Stern pin, POTC, is a one ball game in a bad way. On Pirates, the ball when you collect max jackpot is just about always your one and only good ball. With IM, any or all of the three balls can be your 'good ball'.

There are deeper strategies for both of course, but generally speaking, being a one ball game isn't necessarily a bad thing.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You quoted it, but I don't think it sunk in...

I'm well aware of the rules. It's still a one ball game. On STTNG, you progress through the modes towards the wiz mode with each ball. With IM, you try to reach the wiz mode every ball. That's not a bad thing. In fact, in IM's case, that's half the attraction.

Do you own Iron Man? As unless you're a top 1% player, it's very hard to get Do or Die in one ball consistently on factory outlanes and settings. Jericho is 'reachable' goal though. And you approach it just like you would getting to final frontier on st:tng, I try and play as many modes as possible to get there, regardless of whether it's on one ball or not since it doesn't matter if you do it on one ball or not on either game. You need 5 modes + lanes to get there, not much different than the 7 modes st:tng needs. When I start IM, I'm trying to get to Jericho, as it's a pretty awesome wizard mode...Do or Die just happens along the way sometimes. Regardless of whether I'm thinking figuratively or literally, it's the same. Plus the fact that Jericho is a much better mode (30 shots to complete or so) with a bigger payoff (50 mil) than the one shot and 35 mil of Do or Die makes it the more fun thing to go for (for me anyways).

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

By saying 'Sorry KEF...', you seemed to imply that DOD MB was a better goal than Valinor because it's harder to reach. I just pointed out that the payoff isn't always worth the journey. Being harder doesn't always mean being better.
IM and LOTR are polar opposites. Both are great examples of their time. If you could only own two games and had those two, life could be a lot worse.

Ah, the difficulties of writing/interpreting comments.

I never said DoDMB was better than Valinor (heck, I haven't even reached DoDMB!), nor did I intend to imply it

I only said I felt DoDMB was harder to reach in answer to the poster's question. I know firsthand the amount of work it takes to reach Valinor and I will say what is needed "goalwise" Valinor is one of the best wizard modes ever. Valinor culminates after a long epic story. KEF put a lot of work into Valinor and I know he wanted it to be difficult but maybe obtainable for us die hard players.

I just feel with only 3 balls, the lack of extra earnable balls and the Jericho hurdle in Iron Man DoDMB would be harder to reach than Valinor. Really, that was the point.

Anyway, I think I am beating a dead horse

I meant absolutely no disrespect to KEF or the brilliance of the LOTR rules. I hope readers know that.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Pinballcorpse, can you tell me exactly what qualifies for a Super Jackpot in War Machine and Whiplash? I know when I get into those modes that I need to complete something, but I'm never sure of exactly what it is, often because I try to stack them as best as possible with other stuff at the same time (IE Bogey -> Whiplash -> War Machine).
I've messed a little with the game with the glass off to try to tell, but I feel like that is cheating and I'd rather talk with someone who knows

This is the way I understand it:

War Machine:

Complete Drones, start War Machine. 2 Ball Multiball

You have a 20 second grace period where War Machine is blinking. Hitting him adds a ball. (After that you need to light SHIELD, then hit WM and maybe the award will be AAB)

Wave one: The 4 Drone targets light-you need to hit those 4 in the first wave.

After the 4 Drones are hit, the 5 main shots light (the red arrows). Hit each shot one time (the lights subtract off as you hit them), then hit War Machine (big blue insert should be blinking) and you should get the SJP call out.

After that you start back at the 4 Drones etc.

Whiplash:

Repeatedly hit Whiplash to start 2 ball MB.

Hit 4 jackpots (red arrows or Whiplash). Red arrows are always lit. They do not subtract off like they do in War Machine.

Now hit Whiplash 2 more times

Then hit 10 jackpots (red arrows or Whiplash)

After that, hit Whiplash to earn the SJP.

You can use SHIELD to AAB.

I prefer to start War Machine and then start Whiplash to have them run concurrently. You cannot start Whiplash and then War Machine.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

One other question - Something I've noticed with mine is that the Whiplash targets also award letters toward IRON. It seems that it starts with N and works it's way backwards. I have even been able to start Iron Man scoring from those targets. Is this normal behavior? If so, does anyone know the progression that it is actually doing?
Also, Pinballcorpse, would it also be worthwhile on a DODMB trek to avoid lighting all of the roll overs at the same time, and actually actively try to not achieve them, to prolong Jericho?

I have never seen Whiplash spot IRON MAN letters or start IRON MAN scoring. That sounds wrong.

Sure, if you could avoid the SHIELD rollovers you can avoid a Mark and delay Jericho. I think that would be tough to do all game. It would take some serious concentration and control especially during a multiball.

Keep in mind no matter what you do Jericho will be lit at some point.

3 Marks from the 3 sets of IRON MAN targets
1 Mark from starting Iron Monger
1 Mark from starting War Machine
1 Mark from starting Whiplash.

There are your 6 Marks with no Bogey and no SHIELD.

You still need 3 more sets of Drones and avoid starting Jericho

#34 11 years ago

(None taken.)

My only response would be harder isn't always better. In fact, I would argue that DODMB is stupid. Before everyone gets all bent out of shape, please realize I had this opinion long before JJP was a reality, and I'm pretty sure Stern isn't making any more Iron Mans (but I don't know that for a fact).

Making something ridiculously arbitrarily hard (4 drones sets) is not good game design. At least, I assume there's no real reason for that requirement other than some number pulled out of the air. Iron Man letters make sense, there's 3 different awards, so you saw all of them. Similar with super jackpot awards, they mark an end to a multiball. But having to do almost anything so many times for no reason is just irksome. It's work. It's not fun (at least I've never considered work fun).

At any rate, it's just silly. A lot of people consider Valinor to be "silly-hard" to get to, but, to me anyway, all the objectives make sense. You basically have to play through the entire game to get to the end. Skillful play makes the journey much shorter. The same can't be said for DODMB, at least in terms of the drone targets. It would kind of be like if I said instead of playing the whole game to get to valinor, you had to destroy the ring successfully 5 times. Guess what, that's a boatload harder than doing 4 drones sets, but it's stupid busywork; it doesn't advance the game. It's just arbitrarily difficult.

"Blah blah blah Keith, what would you have done?"

I guess I would've either used the ramps instead of drones (two reasons: ramps aren't needed otherwise, and I feel that's stupid (btw, my requirement for bogey flashing would be something like making a 1M shot during the mode); war machine implies drones, so why are you using 2 inserts for one task), or at least done some kind of game with the drones to make it better. Something like one drone target is always flashing, and if you always only hit the flashing one, then the light flashes instead of goes solid. That doesn't sound so hard, but that's not trivial either. And it's certainly far more interesting than 4 sets of targets IMNSHO.

Just some food for thought by someone that has played a lot of pinball and thought a lot about rules and wasn't in the pinball industry at the time of this game.

#35 11 years ago

Other than the ridiculous requirements for DOD MB and simple rules, do you enjoy playing IM Keith?

#36 11 years ago

TBH no I generally loathe having to play it in a tournament. Just because I don't like it, though, doesn't mean that I can't play it. I hate BSD too but I doubt too many people would want to place a wager on a game with me.

#37 11 years ago

My only response would be harder isn't always better. In fact, I would argue that DODMB is stupid.

Yes. Yes, it is stupid.

Making something ridiculously arbitrarily hard (4 drones sets) is not good game design. At least, I assume there's no real reason for that requirement other than some number pulled out of the air.

Yes. Yes, it is bad game design.

At any rate, it's just silly. A lot of people consider Valinor to be "silly-hard" to get to, but, to me anyway, all the objectives make sense. You basically have to play through the entire game to get to the end. Skillful play makes the journey much shorter.

Yes. Yes, it does.

This is why I can't wait to see the rules for WOZ...you get it. Rules should make sense. I have to disagree on the statement that IM is not enjoyable though. IM is pretty fun, but I'd wager my house that if you had coded it, it would be much better.

#38 11 years ago

At least, I assume there's no real reason for that requirement other than some number pulled out of the air.

I agree with this.

I can go on and on about why I absolutely love IMs rules, and although the ramps aren't used for anything but Bogey and jackpot shots in certain MBs, I'm fine with that because it gives you SUCH different strategies to use when you're playing it versus people versus trying to set the high score, but I'll concede two code issues that I really wish were slightly different...

The first is I wish if you didn't touch the flippers, you could earn a super-skill shot by landing the ball in the right roll-over. Or, but holding a flipper, it would lower the orbit thing in the top and would open up another shot for a super skill shot. As it is, the skill shot is really not interesting at all, unless you have one of the later machines where they put weaker springs on it so the ball doesn't always make it to the top... but that feels kind of cheap.

The second is the requirements for DODMB seem a little screwy. I wish the DMD gave instructions on exactly what you were doing for both War Machine and Whiplash to score the super jackpot, as a couple times I've done it, and a whole lot more I'm sitting there trying to figure out what to do and not achieving it because I actually don't know what to do, and that the Drones goal was changed up.

I have made everything flash at one time or another... Iron Man perhaps because my machine is doing something wonky with the Whiplash targets which helps (I'll have to look into that now...), War Machine and Whiplash randomly, and Monger regularly... but never Drones. I like Keith's idea that one of them would be flashing and you'd need to hit that one in order to make it flash, but I also think that three times through would be a lot more fair. You start with three lit at once, move to two lit, and then complete it with one lit... I honestly don't know what happens after that, but it seems like that is where the progression ends.

I'm cool with DODMB as the ultimate goal on the machine, but I also know that unless I've got the glass off, I'm never going to see it... and that's all right too, but I do wish Drones weren't quite as crazy to try to get.

For those saying that regular Do Or Die is the main Wizard mode by the way, I completely disagree. Jericho is the main Wizard Mode, and DOD is a huge hurry up for accomplishing a lot of tasks. I think that people think of DOD as the Wizard because it comes after completing the modes, but can there really be a Wizard mode that is just one shot? You have to think of how you play the game in different terms - completing the Marks is the "mode progression" toward the wizard mode, even though there is a variety of ways to do that.

#39 11 years ago

Sounds like there are a lot of good ideas on how to improve code on IM. Are we dreaming to think there would EVER be a code update?

#40 11 years ago

Im good with the IM code, let them concentrate on xmen or transformers.....

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Im good with the IM code, let them concentrate on xmen or Transformers.....

+1

#42 11 years ago

For what it is worth DODMB is so hard that I do not think it is a realistic goal for me to shoot for on my IM; I agree that there are some potential spots for improvement in the code (earnable EB, skill shot that requires skill etc...) and it would be nice if there was a more achievable "super" wizard mode/reward.

I am also not really working towards valinor on my LoTR, I have no interest in standing there for 1.5 hours. I take the challenges as they come up and try my best on each mode/multiball.

That does not stop me from enjoying my IM or LoTR, they are both great games. I just put about 2-5 games on my IM for every LotR (LoTR isn't the best when you are also child minding!).

#43 11 years ago

For my tastes IM has always been a location game, and as long as the tilt isn't set ridiculously tight it's perfect for dropping a few bucks into. It is really a game that's built for nudging so when I run into one set up with big outlanes and a tight tilt I move on. The ideal setup is one that will allow some nudging and let me get away with one death save.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

For my tastes IM has always been a location game, and as long as the tilt isn't set ridiculously tight it's perfect for dropping a few bucks into. It is really a game that's built for nudging so when I run into one set up with big outlanes and a tight tilt I move on. The ideal setup is one that will allow some nudging and let me get away with one death save.

IM does fantastic on location so I hear.

And those who own it seem to play 1000's of games and still not want to sell them. On my list.

#45 11 years ago

I play my IM every day, at least 20 games or so a day. It is a much deeper game than most give it credit for and one of Sterns best imo but I am biased beacuse I own one and love it.
I have got Jericho and Do or Die on one ball but I doubt it very much that I will ever see DODMB on 3 ball factory settings.
Maybe one day I might get there, I will keep trying.

#46 11 years ago

Based on the ruleset of the harder to reach goals (DoDMB or Jericho with carryover), I think Iron Man needs at least one earnable extra ball via some goal (5 SHIELDS, 2nd set of Drones etc.)

As much as I am not a fan of scoring tier extra balls, in the case of Iron Man at least one (maybe 2) tiers could be acceptable.

I don't necessarily want to make it a 5 ball game.

I'll see how it goes. Right now I am keeping it on factory with no carryover.

#47 11 years ago

I think Iron Man needs at least one earnable extra ball via some goal (5 SHIELDS, 2nd set of Drones etc.)

I'd be okay with this if it was the 2nd set of drones. I generally dislike extra balls and turn them off, but if it is something really hard to get (unlike, say, JP where it is sort of at random), then it would be worthy of maybe keeping it on for.

Having said that, I do not need a code update for IM to like it as much as I do. In my opinion, DODMB is a sort of mythical thing that I doubt I'll ever get - but it gives me another way to play to try to beat the game. Those of you saying that the game needs another Super Wizard mode, but an easier one - the game already has two, and Jericho is really hard to make it through. I'd say it's definitely there.

If a code update came, I could rattle off about a half dozen little things that would make it better, but it won't move from the spot of "my favorite game ever" without one. I've never liked a game so much - I knew two games in that it was one of my favorite games ever. It just does everything that I want in a game, and that's amazing.

1 year later
#48 9 years ago

Note that if you start Jericho, you have to win it to keep on playing that ball and of course you make ZERO progress toward any other goal. If you fail, you reset the Marks and start again and even worse are now on Ball 2.

I just finished a game where i started jericho but did not complete it. I collected the whiplash and iron monger super jackpots and those remained blinking on the next ball. I wonder if this is a software update from when this thread was posted or what? Anyhow, it makes the Do or Die Multiball somewhat more obtainable than originally thought.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I just finished a game where i started jericho but did not complete it. I collected the whiplash and iron monger super jackpots and those remained blinking on the next ball. I wonder if this is a software update from when this thread was posted or what? Anyhow, it makes the Do or Die Multiball somewhat more obtainable than originally thought.

No, Whiplash and Iron Monger aren't the issue, it's the number of drones and iron man targets that you have to collect that's the issue. Do or Die Multiball is still about impossible on factory.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Glad to see more Iron Man chatter with the new release.

Anyhow, collecting the SJP will cause the character to blink and that will carry ball to ball. That's been in the rules well before the IMVE release.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 24.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-near-impossibility-of-do-or-die-multiball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.