20140105_142225.jpg
20140105_142229.jpg
20140105_141309.jpg
20140105_140919.jpg
20140105_141254.jpg
20140105_141247.jpg
20140105_140826.jpg
20140104_183302.jpg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

OK so I picked up an Atlantis for ShertzPinball off a once in a lifetime CL deal yesterday and it came complete with a second home for a furry friend.

The back box was coming apart and there were a few wires disconnected that looked like a free play hack.

The back box is now back together, Wires soldered and after donning disposable gloves and a respirator mask , the rats next is gone.

There was some speculation what the material was and my scientific analysis is 70% white stuff 29% green stuff and 3 yellow fake flower petals.

The PF is actually really nice except for a few places and not really any damage where the nest was. The inside of the cab looks nice save for a few droppings.

I thought Id post a few pics of the progress

20140104_135552.jpg20140104_135552.jpg
20140104_135603.jpg20140104_135603.jpg
20140104_140948.jpg20140104_140948.jpg
20140104_183302.jpg20140104_183302.jpg
20140104_183317.jpg20140104_183317.jpg
20140105_140826.jpg20140105_140826.jpg

#2 10 years ago

more before and after rats nest and a wipe down with 91% isopropyl

20140105_140919.jpg20140105_140919.jpg 20140105_141247.jpg20140105_141247.jpg 20140105_141254.jpg20140105_141254.jpg 20140105_141309.jpg20140105_141309.jpg 20140105_142219.jpg20140105_142219.jpg 20140105_142225.jpg20140105_142225.jpg 20140105_142229.jpg20140105_142229.jpg 20140105_142235.jpg20140105_142235.jpg
#3 10 years ago

Yikes, that rat had a pretty cool location for a nest.

My Atlantis was a bit rusty and the backglass was flaking when I bought it (garage storage for many many years), but no rats nest thank goodness.

Here's to you getting it running, it is certainly a worthy game!

#4 10 years ago

Thank you for helping me get this game and going through it for me. It truly was an amazing Craigslist find.

I also just discovered there was an EM hangout on here too.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

There was some speculation what the material was and my scientific analysis is 70% white stuff 29% green stuff and 3 yellow fake flower petals.

So I guess it wasn't edible.

#6 10 years ago

Nope not circus peanuts or dead peeps..

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

Thank you for helping me get this game and going through it for me. It truly was an amazing Craigslist find.
I also just discovered there was an EM hangout on here too.

Welcome to the EM forums! When is the next party at your place Mr. 31 pinballs?

#8 10 years ago

31? Holy mother of...

#9 10 years ago

I am salivating as I read this. I have been on the lookout for an Atlantis for some time now. Maybe I will get lucky at one of the shows but something tells me it will be a lucky find like was the case here. Looks like a lot of fun. I enjoy working on them more than playing them.

George

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I am salivating as I read this. I have been on the lookout for an Atlantis for some time now.

I know where there's another one.
th-324.jpegth-324.jpeg

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Nope not circus peanuts or dead peeps..

So what was it?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Welcome to the EM forums! When is the next party at your place Mr. 31 pinballs?

I'm trying to figure that out myself. We just moved and the game room area has kids living in it right now. I will have an epic party some day (sigh)

p.s. it's actually 34 games I own 3 more that Pinside game list doesn't recognize.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

So what was it?

Fake yellow flower petal. The yellow matched well with the aqua green.

ShertzPinball has a great collection. You would love it Dan.

We gotta get that fairway up and running!

--Jeff

#14 10 years ago

The rats nest looked like a nice coral reef under the glass, put it back.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Fake yellow flower petal.
ShertzPinball has a great collection. You would love it Dan.
We gotta get that fairway up and running!
--Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I've got a lot of pins I need to get running. It's a tough choice between the pins or the car.

Jason

#16 10 years ago

How many plays on the meter? Before the mice got to it, looked like it might have been retired early.

Nice pickup.

#17 10 years ago

I'm sure you will do a great job restoring the game Jeff. Nice find too!

Ken

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

The rats nest looked like a nice coral reef under the glass, put it back.

Rats nest mod...highly soft after when naturally occurring.

#19 10 years ago

I was showing this thread to someone; they asked a good question: how could someone sell this without seeing the nest and cleaning in out? Yuck!

#20 10 years ago

Amazing that the nest was there, but there's no damage in the area.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I was showing this thread to someone; they asked a good question: how could someone sell this without seeing the nest and cleaning in out? Yuck!

For $25, no big deal. Hell, put two nests in there!

#22 10 years ago

This sounds like something out of the Rats of NIMH. Bet they were responsible for the free play hack...

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Many people don't know that the glass comes out.

#24 10 years ago

I think this is a great base game. The backglass looks really nice and I have seen much worse playfields.

I think it is the best wedgehead and mine isn't going anywhere soon.

IMG_5453.JPGIMG_5453.JPG
#25 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I think this is a great base game. The backglass looks really nice and I have seen much worse playfields.
I think it is the best wedgehead and mine isn't going anywhere soon.

IMG_5453.JPG 209 KB

Nice looking pin.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

For $25, no big deal. Hell, put two nests in there!

I agree that you can't go wrong for $25. Just the coils are worth that if the game is trashed, and I am so glad it isn't trashed.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

How many plays on the meter?

No meter inside. I need to do a twice over to see what else is removed.
From Vics photo on ipdb it looks like it originally had 2 counters.

--Jeff

20140105_140844.jpg20140105_140844.jpg
#28 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Many people don't know that the glass comes out.

I am amazed at how many games I've bought from people who didn't know the backglass or playfield glass came out.

#29 10 years ago

"The lost rat nest of Atlantis"

Lost is right! Where's our home?

Ken

Rat Pack.JPGRat Pack.JPG
#30 10 years ago

Wait that was $25?! Hook me up with the next $25 Grand Prix you come across Jeff! lol At least its in good hands now!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

--Jeff

20140105_140844.jpg 179 KB

My Cleopatra has two, one counts coins the other counts free plays.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Where's our home?

Your new home is a duplex.
th-472.jpegth-472.jpeg

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

--Jeff

I've had four Atlantises (Atlantii?), and they all had just one meter. But the 'shadows' left on the bottom board would be a good tell. Some wedgeheads did have two meters in them though; one counts total plays, while the other counts coin credits (or at least an approximation).

Fairly high serial number on that one, so closer to the end of the production run (by a couple hundred or so).

#34 10 years ago

I know an old guy that is one of my dads friends that has a non working atlantis. Decent overall condition. He had me over to look at it last year and wanted me to fix it, but i don't know anything em. What is a fair price? Anyone interested and i could try to rescue it from him.

It would be a toss him a number and see if he wants to sell sort of thing, but happy to help out if someone wants it to own and fix, not to flip.

#35 10 years ago

If I could only shoehorn one more in...

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I know an old guy that is one of my dads friends that has a non working atlantis. Decent overall condition. He had me over to look at it last year and wanted me to fix it, but i don't know anything em. What is a fair price? Anyone interested and i could try to rescue it from him.
It would be a toss him a number and see if he wants to sell sort of thing, but happy to help out if someone wants it to own and fix, not to flip.

$500 if it is decent seems to be about fair to me. No water damage, blown playfield, or ratty backglass.

Its a really good playing EM and one of my favorite games.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe someone on Pinside that lives near your Dad's friend can get it working for a fee or buy it. Where is the game located - near Madison by you?

#38 10 years ago

Rockford, il

#39 10 years ago

It's interesting, I never played this game on location back in the day, in fact, I had never played it at all until I played the one in the PHOF in Vegas. I was really anxious to play it because it is so highly regarded.

Maybe it was the condition of the one there, it's in pretty rough shape, but I found it to just be an average player. I would like to play a well sorted example before finalizing that opinion. I know most love it, but at this point, I need to play it again.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

If I could only shoehorn one more in...

Hmm, it's close to you too.

You know you want one. All the cool collections have an Atlantis.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You know you want one. All the cool collections have an Atlantis.

Seems that way. Man there has been a lot of temptation lately. Yes I'd love an Atlantis! Trouble is I have bought 4 project machines in the last couple months and after selling one I currently have room for minus three.

Plus it's not officially on my want list so I'm sure there has to be someone within driving distance that would be more deserving.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

--Jeff

20140105_140844.jpg 179 KB

My Atlantis has two meters which isn't original and one meter was added to my game.
Should be one game meter in a wedgehead from the factory.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It's interesting, I never played this game on location back in the day, in fact, I had never played it at all until I played the one in the PHOF in Vegas. I was really anxious to play it because it is so highly regarded.
Maybe it was the condition of the one there, it's in pretty rough shape, but I found it to just be an average player. I would like to play a well sorted example before finalizing that opinion. I know most love it, but at this point, I need to play it again.

Atlantis is over hyped. Indeed it is a good game. I enjoy playing it. My friend Marcus has had his stored in my place since April of last year. Most people buy Atlantis because it is a very pretty game and the theme is awesome. This automarically catapults the game play for them. I wouldn't say no to owning one but there are like 5-10 other machines I would want to own first including El Dorado.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

My Atlantis has two meters which isn't original and one meter was added to my game.
Should be one game meter in a wedgehead from the factory.

Excellent thanks for the clarification on the pic.

-Jeff

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Atlantis is over hyped. Indeed it is a good game. I enjoy playing it. My friend Marcus has had his stored in my place since April of last year. Most people buy Atlantis because it is a very pretty game and the theme is awesome. This automarically catapults the game play for them. I wouldn't say no to owning one but there are like 5-10 other machines I would want to own first including El Dorado.

It is an addictive game but would love to play Atlantis, Jacks Open, C37, EL Dorado, Capt Card, & Abra ca Dabra all day in a line up to try and figure out which one I liked the best. If I had the space and money would have them all I guess.

#46 10 years ago

Dirt, Hoov, Boilerman... you're missing Capt Card ^^^^.

#47 10 years ago

Nice score, goes to show that good deals still pop up every once in a while.

#48 10 years ago

Nah, I don't miss it at all. I'm a replay guy, no AABs here (unless of course, I stumble on a nice one...). Good with the rest though (although my latest El D is waiting to be restored still).

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is an addictive game but would love to play Atlantis, Jacks Open, C37, EL Dorado, Capt Card, & Abra ca Dabra all day in a line up to try and figure out which one I liked the best. If I had the space and money would have them all I guess.

I like C37 about equal to Atlantis. I have never played Jacks Open. Abra-Ca-Dabra gets tons more play than Atlantis and my Card Whiz (2 player) is my flavor of the month right now.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Dirt, Hoov, Boilerman... you're missing Capt Card ^^^^.

I like to shop and play aab's but usually sell them and stick to replays like dirt - that said I would buy a CC for the right price. I had a High Hand and although I liked the artwork, lots of drops, etc., the waiting in the kick-out hole to count bonus took the continuity/flow away from the game - it was fun while I had it............

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lost-rat-nest-of-atlantis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.