The Hobbit

Started 2 years ago by PinPeet in forum Game manufacturersJersey Jack Pinball.



The Hobbit


Topic summary

  • Started 2 years ago by PinPeet
  • 40 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from mnpinball

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs





Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!



    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I just read about THE 'unofficial announcement' of The Hobbit!!!!
    I quote 'rzgrip' who visited the Ohio show and joined the talk of Jack:

    "He did mention that game number 2 would also be WB licensed and the game would be ready to coincide with the release of a WB movie for Christmas of 2013. He is not ready to make the official announcement but a quick check of WB releases for Christmas 2013 only comes up with one result!"

    How nice is that!
    Widebody?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Without reading the announcement, i'm going to guess WB is Warner Brothers. WoZ is distributed by Warner Brothers. The Hobbit is split into 2 movies which are scheduled for Christmas release 2012 and 2013. Warner Brothers is also the distributor for The Hobbit.

    As for Widebody.....yes please.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    3+ for wide body

    ......crap I still need LOTR.....

    I guess I have min. 2 pins to get by christmas.

    The Mayans new that is why they made the calander
    Just way ahead of there time.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    If the first half of the Hobbit is as amazing as LOTR, this will be my first NIB along with many other pinheads! Sign me up, I will put my deposit down now!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    There are lots of exciting themes coming. But buying pinball just based on theme doesn't make much sense to me. It's about the layout and design.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Christmas 2013 seems like a long ways away. Its hard to get excited when your speaking of almost 2 years away. I'm sure it will be awesome though. I'll start to get excited this time next year.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    2 years works for me allows me longer to get the money together if I decide to buy. Hopefully they allow incremental payments like WOZ. That would be a little easier to sell to the wife. LOTR is one of my favorite pins, so hopefully this one is just as good or better.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    So it will be almost 2 years before we see a second game from JJ? That seems a long way out for a follow up game.
    Paul


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I had heard before that the next game from them would be june 2013 ish.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    You know that JJ is rewarding loyalty by giving those who bought WOZ the right of first refusal on their previous number....I wonder how many LE's will be available to buy of Hobbit with 1,000 made and a big chunk of those people re upping


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    LOTR next to my newly acquired MM next to a Hobbit pin. The Medieval wall of pins will be complete.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Interesting point, Ice. I guess I better pony up the cash for WOZ. I've been reluctant because I believe the Johnny come latelies get charged more. But then again, two years is a heck of a long time to wait. Even ZA will be done by then, and how many cool themes from Stern; MIB? Avengers? RE?

    I am going to have to add to my game room or start moving games into my main house...


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Hobbit sounds awesome, I liked the Hobbit book better than the LOTR series. 2 years is a long time. He should setup a 2 year payment plan or something, he might generate even more sales that way

    Oh and doc...MIB is NOT a cool theme at all haha ;P


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    docscott said:

    I am going to have to add to my game room or start moving games into my main house...

    The answer is to start moving games into the main house! You need a few in there for when you don't want to take the walk out into the cold snowy winter

    When the big reveal comes on WOZ, it could only go up in price, who knows....and if it's great like they say, then I'd imagine it will be somewhat tough to get #2......

    badbilly27 said:

    next to my newly acquired MM next to a Hobbit pin. The Medieval wall of pins will be complete.

    That would be a cool trio right there BB...


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Wisconsinpinball said:

    So it will be almost 2 years before we see a second game from JJ? That seems a long way out for a follow up game.

    +1 . Surely not 20 months between pins. Or is that about right?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I asked the last question on that panel, and I did say Hobbit, Jack didn't say no, but my question was about something else.

    I'd say it's pretty likely that the next game coming out around xmas 2013 will not be the 3 stooges remake with Johnny Knoxville.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Keith will do the rules so will be interesting to compare to LOTR. LOTR is a top 10 pin but surely the Hobbit will be better with advances in technology and the team JJP have? Don't think they will have many problems selling the first 1000 LE's unless the price is significantly higher.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    badbilly27 said:

    LOTR next to my newly acquired MM next to a Hobbit pin. The Medieval wall of pins will be complete.

    Nah, then you'll just have to get Metal Man, Sir Lancelot, and Excalibur.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    So what happened to the 2nd JJP pin being an unlicensed theme?


    RobT

    Pinside legend
    12,236,973 3
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    It is going to be extremely interesting to see how JJP prices their next pin in light of the crazy prices of the new Stern LE's.

    Will they stay close to the prices for WoZ and Woz LE?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    RobT said:

    It is going to be extremely interesting to see how JJP prices their next pin in light of the crazy prices of the new Stern LE's.
    Will they stay close to the prices for WoZ and Woz LE?

    Trouble is we are talking about a late 2013 pin so prices of everything likely to rise.......we can hope though!

    I wonder if they will work on the unlicensed theme at the same time as should be much smoother process as no licensor to send artwork etc to.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Seems silly to announce the new title this far out. It can only hurt WoZ sales since many of us are tepid on the theme. Some pinheads who are on the fence about WoZ (me) would much rather wait for Hobbit if that were announced.

    Not sure what's up with all the widebody love but I'd rather have a standard pf.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Nah, then you'll just have to get Metal Man, Sir Lancelot, and Excalibur.

    Touche pussycat. I enjoy the older pins but am a 1990 or newer collector.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Erik said:

    Seems silly to announce the new title this far out. It can only hurt WoZ sales since many of us are tepid on the theme. Some pinheads who are on the fence about WoZ (me) would much rather wait for Hobbit if that were announced.
    Not sure what's up with all the widebody love but I'd rather have a standard pf.

    I don't know if it's just a rumour but I've heard that owners of WOZ will have first refusal on the preorders for the next pin. This might actually help sales of WOZ.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    badbilly27 said:

    Nah, then you'll just have to get Metal Man, Sir Lancelot, and Excalibur.

    Touche pussycat. I enjoy the older pins but am a 1990 or newer collector.

    Actually, you're still in luck with 2 of them. Sir Lancelot is 1994, and Metal Man is 1992

    Okay, I'll leave you alone now.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    i'd almost certainly buy the hobbit, but frankly i'd like to see JJ ship his 1st pin before i get too excited about his 2nd...


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    MattElder said:

    Nah, then you'll just have to get Metal Man, Sir Lancelot, and Excalibur.

    And don't forget Black Knight

    Edit... after reading more of the above I see this doesn't meet your post '90 criteria

    Never heard of Sir Lancelot... is that another obscure pin on your wishlist MGE??

    Ahh... just checked... no it isn't... but I guess it's a strong contender!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    If you think about the fact that the guy behind WOZ is the guy who did TSPP and there's talk that the WOZ ruleset will be as deep if not deeper than TSPP, having a second pin that takes down Stern's other most-highly-regarded pin, LOTR, might be a pretty aggressive move to not just overtake Stern, but devalue their existing holy grail titles. It doesn't look like Jack plans to pull any punches.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pinballslave said:

    Never heard of Sir Lancelot... is that another obscure pin on your wishlist MGE??

    Ahh... just checked... no it isn't... but I guess it's a strong contender!!

    It has been on and off my radar for a few years, but I suppose I should put it back up there. You know me....I just can't get enough rare pins!

    Sir Lancelot is rather weird too, as you can move the playfield from side-to-side via handles on the side of the cabinet.

    You're still working away right now?!?! What time is it over there now, midnight? Get some rest, my friend.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    MattElder said:

    Sir Lancelot is rather weird too, as you can move the playfield from side-to-side via handles on the side of the cabinet.

    You do have a habbit of finding out about these obscure titles... maybe this should be on my wishlist too!!?? Must check the IPDB when I get home... yep, still at work!! Crazy days!! It's 10pm here now, will be another hour at least... but will feel good to have got a load of work off my back!

    MattElder said:

    Get some rest, my friend. [:-)]

    I'll rest on the flight to Russia!! I just hope I get back alive!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    pinballslave said:

    You do have a habbit of finding out about these obscure titles... maybe this should be on my wishlist too!!?? Must check the IPDB when I get home... yep, still at work!! Crazy days!! It's 10pm here now, will be another hour at least... but will feel good to have got a load of work off my back!

    The IPDB doesn't have any pics of Sir Lancelot, but I've got a few somewhere here. I'll try to find them and send them your way. I may not get them to you before you leave, but I'll try.

    pinballslave said:

    I'll rest on the flight to Russia!! I just hope I get back alive!!

    If you don't make it back, I'll make sure Juan sends me those 3 machines from Spain. Have a nice trip!

    Matt


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    where do i sign for one?
    let's say JJP makes the Hobbit with the new lcd, beside stern LOTR is it gonna look weird?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I predict it will be a flop for this very reason. Who in their right mind would place two slightly different looking pins next to each other? ; )

    I think the only real risk is making the Stern look cheap.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    beatmaster said:

    let's say JJP makes the Hobbit with the new lcd, beside stern LOTR is it gonna look weird?

    Only if it's turned off


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Things are heating up, will be exciting over the next 18 months!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    MattElder said:

    You know me....I just can't get enough rare pins!

    That's the truth indeed Matt

    MattElder said:

    I may not get them to you before you leave, but I'll try.

    Thanks for that... it may just have to go on my wishlist too!! It sure is a weird one!!

    MattElder said:

    If you don't make it back, I'll make sure Juan sends me those 3 machines from Spain.

    Yes, don't let him get away with keepin those!!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    PinballHelp said:

    If you think about the fact that the guy behind WOZ is the guy who did TSPP and there's talk that the WOZ ruleset will be as deep if not deeper than TSPP,

    Supposedly the main reason for picking the WOZ theme was to draw in new pin players given the "universal" family friendly theme...I don't see how a complex rule set fits with that goal.

    And wasn't JJP infatic that the 2nd pin would be an unlicensed title?...guess that's another direction change.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    wowwwwwwwww


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    Hobbit > WOZ any day.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    kwiKimart said:

    Hobbit > WOZ any day.

    More like "side by side"...

    I really feel bad for Dennis, I was really looking forward to seeing what his twisted mind would have come up with in 2012-13. Hopefully things will work out and Nordman can get his pin finished. Either way I am on board for his next pin (JJP or homebrew) and I also look forward to seeing 'The Hobbit' sit next to my LOTR in perfect harmony.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I know JJP is going to build some really nice pins(looks like it anyway), but these themes are killing it for me. WOZ, I can understand because of it's broad appeal, but "The Hobbit" is just plain bad. Looks like a NIB is only going to be a dream for me. Am I the only one that thinks there are far better themes to do?


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Honch said:

    Am I the only one that thinks there are far better themes to do?

    I'm sure there will be themes in the next couple of years Honch that will make you salivate, it just takes time.
    On the bright side... At least you will have a pile of cash set aside until that day comes!
    Hell- why not go treat yourself to a nice steak dinner with Bruce Campbell and see if he will sign on for an Army of Darkness 20th Anniversary pin!!! That should be a NIB worthy purchase, don't you think?


    RGR

    Pinball master
    2,533,400 2
    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    yeah 2 years.... OMG.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

    Army of Darkness 20th Anniversary pin!!! That should be a NIB worthy purchase, don't you think?

    Your reading my mind, Nimble. I'm a realist though, I know there is probably a lot more love for "THe Hobbit" than the AoD. Your right, I can just keep my mattress stuffed in the mean time.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

    for an Army of Darkness 20th Anniversary pin!!! That should be a NIB worthy purchase, don't you think?

    Yes it would...but I'd MUCH rather prefer Evil Dead 2. But beggers can't be choosers!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #

    I agree ED2 would make for a great pin as well but, AoD would be more commercially successful in pin form.
    If JPop's school happens and I'm able to go, I would love to do a Bruce series of pins like erak did with his ED pin.
    I'd start with 'Bubba Ho-Tep', since it is all kinds of "WTF?!?" and the voice calls would of course be awesome!


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    TheLaw said:

    Yes it would...but I'd MUCH rather prefer Evil Dead 2. But beggers can't be choosers!

    Either way, I'm all in!!!!! Not that you could tell from my Avatar.


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    chocky909 said:

    I predict it will be a flop for this very reason. Who in their right mind would place two slightly different looking pins next to each other? ; )
    I think the only real risk is making the Stern look cheap.

    Many, nothing about LOTR feels cheap to me...

    Andrew


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

    I agree ED2 would make for a great pin as well but, AoD would be more commercially successful in pin form.
    If JPop's school happens and I'm able to go, I would love to do a Bruce series of pins like erak did with his ED pin.
    I'd start with 'Bubba Ho-Tep', since it is all kinds of "WTF?!?" and the voice calls would of course be awesome!

    Attachments
    bubba_hotep_1.jpg (20.9 KB, 0 downloads) 1 hour old

    +1+1 here
    two people in this house would by bruce cambell pins
    hotep, army of darkness, evil dead and a man with two brains


    2 years, 1 month ago
    #
    Honch said:

    but "The Hobbit" is just plain bad.

    $3,000,000,000 worldwide for LOTR would seem to be at odds with your opinion.



Reply

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.





© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple