Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 595 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_110550 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240114_002429 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231231_221534 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231230_210221 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231230_210241 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231230_210301 (resized).jpg
    TWIP4 (resized).jpg
    TWIP4 (resized).jpg
    379462167_301219915855596_6167725210531784586_n (resized).jpg
    379248815_301206469190274_5333347754756009538_n (resized).jpg
    379205978_301215539189367_9081132405283390015_n (resized).jpg
    378971776_301206862523568_8917166073974780254_n (resized).jpg
    378317462_301207022523552_7273306542855281169_n (resized).jpg
    378847427_301219419188979_4829861518771566533_n (resized).jpg
    378277406_301207155856872_4832595007036118618_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1694961214248 (resized).jpg
    There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
    #1 10 years ago

Hello,
    I'm having a go at another project this year...

.....with a planned end date of August 2014

Here are some photos of the playfield layout, the LCD screen and Holographic display

FILE0173.jpgFILE0173.jpg

FILE0174.JPGFILE0174.JPG

FILE0175.JPGFILE0175.JPG

FILE0179.JPGFILE0179.JPG

FILE0180.JPGFILE0180.JPG

......hoping to do the theme justice

MARVIN

150214.jpg150214.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Looking good Like the holograms

#3 10 years ago

Great theme for a pinball machine! Good luck on the project!

#4 10 years ago

Pretty cool! Looking forward to following your progress.

#5 10 years ago

Oh man, HGTTG and inline drop targets?

Fap, fap, fap, fap........

#6 10 years ago

Some cool stuff especially the hologram.

Could probably get it to really pop if plastic was tinted.

#8 10 years ago

Very cool. Love the theme.

#9 10 years ago

Looks really good. The movie just got released on Netflix , will have to watch it to see what it about, as never read the book. Hologram looks like a cool feature.

#10 10 years ago

Wow, impressive. I thought that movie was good, a little silly, but fun. Why so symmetrical though in the layout?

#11 10 years ago

10k by christmas?

#12 10 years ago

I love the theme! Please tell me there will be an "Infinite Improbability Drive" target or scoop that gives awards!

#14 10 years ago

Love love love the theme. Best of luck I can't wait to see more of your progress! The layout reminds me of swep1?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jokercyclone:

Looks really good. The movie just got released on Netflix , will have to watch it to see what it about, as never read the book. Hologram looks like a cool feature.

I enjoyed the movie, but had I not read the book first I doubt I would have liked it as much. The book is fantastic and a quick read. I recommend it.

#16 10 years ago

A suggestion: award a "match" credit anytime your final score has a 42 somewhere in it, i.e. 3,425,600 ..... 10,964,200 ..... you get the idea.

#17 10 years ago

This and Spaceballs? Awesome.

#18 10 years ago

best theme ever.

if you collect the Ultimate Question jackpot and Ultimate Answer jackpot on the same ball the game should tilt and reset.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I enjoyed the movie, but had I not read the book first I doubt I would have liked it as much. The book is fantastic and a quick read. I recommend it.

i ready all 5 books in the trilogy a million times, as well as all of adams' other work. i always wondered how much sense the movie makes without having read the books. i did like the movie though, especially the opening number sung by the dolphins, and the finale did a great job of capturing Adams' love and wonder for life.

by the way, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is one of the most astounding works in all of fiction - it starts off stultifyingly boring and kind of impenetrable, intentionally, as a brilliant piece of sleight-of-hand, in order to pass off a series of incredible and impossible events as totally mundane ones. when everything is finally revealed and tied together on the last few pages, it's like when you finally see the image in one of those Magic Eye pictures. suddenly what was just a bunch of dots is a single coherent three-dimensional shape. really piecing the whole narrative together requires at least two reads, though. Richard Dawkins said of the book: "As soon as I finished it, I turned back to page one and read it straight through again – the only time I have ever done that"

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Some cool stuff especially the hologram.
    Could probably get it to really pop if plastic was tinted.

Will be RGB underlit

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

I love the theme! Please tell me there will be an "Infinite Improbability Drive" target or scoop that gives awards!

The IID will be the main mystery system...

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

A suggestion: award a "match" credit anytime your final score has a 42 somewhere in it, i.e. 3,425,600 ..... 10,964,200 ..... you get the idea.

I like it !

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

best theme ever.
    if you collect the Ultimate Question jackpot and Ultimate Answer jackpot on the same ball the game should tilt and reset.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

There is a ball killer planned for the Magrathea missile sequence.....but that is interesting

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wow, impressive. I thought that movie was good, a little silly, but fun. Why so symmetrical though in the layout?

No-one seems to have made one of late ...?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

A mate of mine has been downloading the talking books + lovin them

#26 10 years ago

Love the idea.

There should be an outlane-saver feature like Toto in WOZ where hitting a (group of) target(s) in the outlane will "distract" you from draining and thus enable you to "miss" the "ground"/trough. While in the "flying" state, you'd have to hit shots to keep your mind off of falling - otherwise you fall and the flippers die.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from cambarej:

Love the idea.
    There should be an outlane-saver feature like Toto in WOZ where hitting a (group of) target(s) in the outlane will "distract" you from draining and thus enable you to "miss" the "ground"/trough. While in the "flying" state, you'd have to hit shots to keep your mind off of falling - otherwise you fall and the flippers die.

That's cool ....!

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Agreed. Brilliant theme. Why hasn't someone made this before? However, I'm also not a fan of symmetrical layouts.

#30 10 years ago

Look forward to seeing more.

#31 10 years ago

Awesome! Please build 42 of them!

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Awesome! Please build 42 of them!

But what is the question

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Agreed. Brilliant theme. Why hasn't someone made this before? However, I'm also not a fan of symmetrical layouts.

There does seem to be a nudge in that direction (AC/DC , Metallica ). I feel a little boxed in by some
    asymmetrical games( Addams Family X-men )and the last game I made was asymmetrical so...you know...?
    Symmetry = speed on this build , its a really fast table .

#34 10 years ago

Love the movie, and looks like I love the pin cant wait to see gameplay.

#35 10 years ago

MARVIN , The Paranoid Android

240px-Marvin-TV-3.jpg240px-Marvin-TV-3.jpg

As it happens ( or just cause I think it will be the most fun ) Marvin will be made first.
    He is sure to inspire me through the rest of the project.

One could expect a circuit diagram and video post very soon .

On that note... I will at this point... ask for requests ,.......
    Marvin gets to say 10 things when his target is dropped ? ( They must be recorded grabs )

I for example would love the poem.....

Night time comes
    but Darkness won't fill my head
    I can see by infra red
    How I hate the night

But I don't know of it ever being recorded....?

If any-one has a request or knowledge of rare recordings or can mimic Marvin....?

1 # "...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side..."
    "I mean I've asked for them to be replaced but no one ever listens."

#36 10 years ago

Brilliant project, well done. Love to see the final thing, and good luck with it. There is so much material in the books to draw from , a truly funny author. Once done, speak to the rights owners, and see if they would let a commercial release happen - I'll be in for one!

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

Brilliant project, well done. Love to see the final thing, and good luck with it. There is so much material in the books to draw from , a truly funny author. Once done, speak to the rights owners, and see if they would let a commercial release happen - I'll be in for one!

Comments like this one and all the above are inspirational....keep the feature suggestions coming they've already got me thinking....

#38 10 years ago

Are you drawing more from the recent movie, or the books?

Marvin Multiball

Pan-Galactic Gargle blaster mode - Shoot different shots to make the drink.

Escape the Vogon ship mode

That's all I got right now!

#39 10 years ago

"In every inhabited planet in the Universe, there is a drink called Gin and Tonic"

#40 10 years ago

needs a mystery award, called "activate infinite improbability drive" with weird / random consequences every time.

#41 10 years ago

The Infinite Improbability drive is definitely going to be the mystery shot...

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Buffpac5:

Are you drawing more from the recent movie, or the books?
    Marvin Multiball
    Pan-Galactic Gargle blaster mode - Shoot different shots to make the drink.
    Escape the Vogon ship mode
    That's all I got right now!

Little of both

#43 10 years ago

hey, look there are 42 posts in this thread.

Oh wait..now 43...i ruined it.

Why is it all of you guys over seas do all this great cool shit?

#44 10 years ago

nice- really looking to see more of it! thx

#45 10 years ago

Is this a one off, or is this going to be sold to the public? I might finally make a NIB purchase.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from seatownpinhead:

Is this a one off, or is this going to be sold to the public? I might finally make a NIB purchase.

Just a one off at this stage...

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

hey, look there are 42 posts in this thread.
    Oh wait..now 43...i ruined it.
    Why is it all of you guys over seas do all this great cool shit?

Yeah come on USA....!

#48 10 years ago

Based on the version of Marvin the robot that you are using, it appears that you are basing this more on the British TV series (early 1980's) which was based on the late 70's British radio show and featuring much of the same cast that was on the radio show. This would actually be great news, at least IMHO. I loved the books, and felt the TV show did an excellent job of recreating the style and tone of the books (the fact that Adams wrote the radio and TV scripts and also made occasional guest appearances on the TV show also helped).

Yes, the TV show had cheesy 80's special effects, but I felt it was done SO much better than the movie. Frankly, to me, the movie was an extreme disappointment after having seen the TV series. I believe you can check out the TV series for free on YouTube.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

But I don't know of it ever being recorded....?

Not sure, maybe try the audiobook versions?

#50 10 years ago

Just so there is less doubling up....
    Features shall be;
    Multiballs... Marvin...Vogshere...Eddie the ship board computer...Vogon poem....Hyperspace

Features for points....Galaxy ( which will lite I I D) ....Babel fish.... Dolphins....Arthur, Ford, Zaphod ,Trillian advances for points , extra ball Special

Infinite Improbability Drive.....Various characters and destinations for Jackpots, ball saving and other rewards.

RGB LIGHTING

Animated playfield and backglass

2 player

Upto 4 Ball multiball...

There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.