Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

After landing the ball in the Spider Hole, the Spider Wheel on my game then stops on its own without pressing the flippers.

Can be as soon as half a revolution to within 3-4 revolutions.

Intermittent: not always the case--other times I can stop the wheel on my own as normal...somewhere around a 50/50 occurrence.

Suggested checks please.

TIA.

#2 11 years ago

You should go to the Scared Stiff Club thread.

#3 11 years ago

Not a bad idea.

Just did; thanks.

Link to Members Only Pg 3:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-clubmembers-only/page/3

#4 11 years ago

Your stepper board may be going, same happened to me.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from dirtrider:

Your stepper board may be going, same happened to me.

How is this determination made; what test/tests?

My wheel always finds home when a new game is started.

Also just tried a Wheel Test (T-16) and it finds wheel position 1 just fine; stepped through all 200 wheel positions and nothing out of the ordinary arose; opto seemed to open and close normally.

TIA.

#6 11 years ago

Correction: further testing revealed as many as 8 revolutions before stopping on its own--followed intermittently by strange occurrences such as:

After stopping on its own after just half a revolution, the audio continues to play the same Spider Wheel music as when the wheel is spinning--and the Voice Over instructs you to "press the flippers to stop the wheel".

#7 11 years ago

Is the pointer slipping by chance?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Is the pointer slipping by chance?

Just checked it by sliding a long screwdriver under/past the lamp boards to secure the shaft by means of the set-screw: wiggled the red pointer back and forth with pressure on the screwdriver and the pointer stayed nice and tight.

Thanks for the lead.

#9 11 years ago

OK, may be onto something:

1. Decided to remove and inspect the two IDCs on the Stepper Motor PCB (the 6-wire 0.156 & the 4-wire 0.10). Found no cracked solder joints on the header pins, so just reinserted all 10 wires with pushers for now.

RESULT: no change.

2. Decided to follow the 6 wires back from first the 0.156 back to the backbox boards & reinsert the wires; retest--and then follow the 4 wires back from the 0.10 and do the same if need be.

RESULT: Probable temporary fix confirmed by manual Spider Hole test--observed the following:

As previously mentioned, the symptom would occur approximately 50% of the time--or within a handful of spins.

With the manual test, I'd drop the ball in the popper and just let the wheel spin by itself the maximum number of times/duration.

Each time the wheel would spin for 8 revolutions and light a new position on the wheel--so on the first sequence, all 16 positions were lit one by one until the game had lit the entire Spider Web on its own.

(Noteworthy it didn't duplicate a single one--each time the wheel made 8 revolutions, and each time, it landed on a new symbol until it started Spider Multi Ball.)

Turned the game off and tried again: this time the wheel flaked out about half way through and the symptom returned (wheel stopped on its own after just about half a revolution). Noteworthy at this juncture it kept landing on symbols it had previously lit.

Point being: before the IDC wire reinsertions, the game never would make it this far without stopping early...what do you guys think, did I find the problem with one of the four IDCs on the backbox boards (2 on the CPU & 2 on the Power Driver Board)?

If so, I'll go back and trim the wires & reinsert. Three of the IDCs are 0.10s and one is a 0.156. I've got 0.156s so I'll replace it, but where can I get those damn 0.10s? (Two of them are 9 position 0.10s and one is a 5 position 0.10; prefer to stay with IDC vs. Molex crimp if possible...sources?)

Guess I'll start here and see if I need to do the other 4 wires off the other IDC coming off the Spider Motor PCB.

Thanks to all.

#10 11 years ago

EPILOGUE: the new IDC connectors seem to have fixed the problem. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

In case anyone's trouble-shooting this in the future, here are the wire colors/board locations for the 6-wire IDC off the Stepper Motor PCB to the backbox:

CPU:

J207 - single wire: green/brown - 9 position 0.100 IDC
J209 - single wire: white/red - 9 position 0.100 IDC

Power Driver Board:

J110 - 2 wires: green/white & yellow/white - 5 position 0.100 IDC
J141 - 2 wires: grey/yellow & black - 4 position 0.156 IDC

#11 11 years ago

Thanks for the update!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 249.00
Playfields
Starcade Amusement
Playfields
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
£ 37.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-ss-scared-stiff-spider-wheel-stops-on-its-own-wo-pressing-the-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.