Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Board.JPG
photo(1).JPG
Blank LED.JPG
Sys7Blank.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Greetings,

I’ve already posted this on RGP but we haven’t had much luck pinpointing the issue. So I thought I’d expand over to here in hopes another set of eyes will be able to help out.

Issue:
Black Knight (System 7) Blanking Circuit Signal will not go between the 4v-5v requirement to play. It actually measures just a little above 3v. If I jumper the blanking test point with 5v, the game plays just fine.

Parts Replaced on MPU:
IC23 (and also put in a socket since it did not have one)
IC7 (and also put in a socket since it did not have one)
Q1
Q5
C84
C31
C27

Voltage Measurements:
Test Bench Power Supply = 4.91v and 12.02v
TP1 = 12.02v
TP2 = 3.89v
TP3 = 72.5mv
TP4 = 3.4v
TP5 = 4.64v
TP6 = 2.37v
TP7 = 4.69v
TP8 = 4.73v
TP9 = 4.81v
Header Pin 37 = 3.4v
1J3 Pin4 = 3.4v
IC23 Pin 8 = 4.84

Continuity Testing from IC23:
(All test near zero)
Pin 1 to ground test point (TP10)
Pin 2 to the junction of R21, R22 and Q21 base
Pin 3 to
-TP4
Pin 4 to
-IC36 Pin 34
-R29
-R30
-Q2
-TP8
Pin 5 to
-C17
Pin 6 to
-C31
-R23
Pin 7 to
-Pin 3 of IC23
-TP4
-Header pin 37
Pin 8 to
-C63

Any other suggestions what to test / check?

Thanks much!

#2 10 years ago

Additional info:

On bench with game ROMS, 7 segment flashes "0" and the 2 LED's also flashes once at the same time as the "0". I believe it means it passed the initial test.

With Leon Test Rom, all diagnostics pass.

Went over the repair guide again (http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp).

From the guide: "To use the test LED, connect the negative end to ground and then touch the positive end to each output on the PIA (pins 2 through 17)... If you don't get a flash on one of the pins, or one of the pins gives you a continuous signal, then you will need to replace the PIA."

On IC36, pin 9 appears to be dead. I'll try and get a replacement soon. If I'm understanding this correclty, the other PIA (IC18) would affect the blanking and not IC36.

Also noticed that on both PIA's, pins 2-9 were more dim than 10-17.

From the guide: "The crystal is connected between pins 38 and 39 on IC1. You should see a waveform if using your scope probe on these pins or approx. +3 volts if using your DMM."

I'm getting around 1.4v for each pin. Not sure if this is an issue or related to blanking.

Again from the guide: "If your game seems to be booting properly with the Game ROMs however you're not getting a plus on pin 4 of IC18 (the PIA that drives the blanking signal), check the outputs of IC25 (a 4020). If the interrupt signal is not being generated at the correct speed, then IC18 will not generate the required "pulse"."

Not sure what is meant by "a plus on pin 4 of IC18" Does that mean any voltage or perhaps around 5v? When I test mine, it shows 2.4v.

Thanks

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from phlegmer:

"a plus on pin 4 of IC18"

I'm thinking that is a typo and meant to say 'pulse' and that is not a vcc but a PAx line off the PIA (read = logic signal) and the voltage there with a DMM would be anywhere between 0vdc and 3vdc.

Did you verify that the voltage at the blanking test point matched what you are getting on the driver board? That is a good way to discount a bad 40 pin interboard connector (common failure).

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I'm thinking that is a typo and meant to say 'pulse' and that is not a vcc but a PAx line off the PIA (read = logic signal) and the voltage there with a DMM would be anywhere between 0vdc and 3vdc.
Did you verify that the voltage at the blanking test point matched what you are getting on the driver board? That is a good way to discount a bad 40 pin interboard connector (common failure).

I believe I did but will double check. I failed to mention that I had already replace the interboard 40 header pins and 40 pin receiver.

#5 10 years ago

Got an o-scope to look a the blanking signal? It's really the only way to properly diagnose an issue with it, as it's an analog signal and not logic or power.

-Hans

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I measured after the interconnect on the driver board and the voltage is the same.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Got an o-scope to look a the blanking signal? It's really the only way to properly diagnose an issue with it, as it's an analog signal and not logic or power.
-Hans

I do have a Wittig OsziFox. Suggestion as to how to wield it to pin point the lower than average voltage issue?

Quoted from phlegmer:

From the guide: "To use the test LED, connect the negative end to ground and then touch the positive end to each output on the PIA (pins 2 through 17)... If you don't get a flash on one of the pins, or one of the pins gives you a continuous signal, then you will need to replace the PIA."

On IC36, pin 9 appears to be dead. I'll try and get a replacement soon. If I'm understanding this correclty, the other PIA (IC18) would affect the blanking and not IC36.
Also noticed that on both PIA's, pins 2-9 were more dim than 10-17.

I just swapped IC36 and pin 9 is the same. I'm going to assume this is ok for now unless someone with a Sys7 can validate this is not normal.

A new crystal quarts is on it's way to eliminate a "weak" crystal.

#8 10 years ago

Then your looking at IC 23 (555), Q1, IC7 or the PIA feeding that blanking circuit IC 18 (6820) or a break in between,, without a scope you're in shotgun mode which can make problems.

(Ref CPU Board Logic Diagram on a set of System 7 prints) Sys7Blank.jpgSys7Blank.jpg

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Then your looking at IC 23 (555), Q1, IC7 or the PIA feeding that blanking circuit IC 18 (6820) or a break in between,, without a scope you're in shotgun mode which can make problems.

What specifically should I be seeing on my Wittig OsziFox scope? Haven't really used scopes that much.

Thanks

#10 10 years ago

I know this widens the scope of the search but is it possible that any or all of the components that the blanking signal is fed to has a problem and this could be pulling it low?

OP try feeling all the chips that take the blanking circuit and see if any are running warmer than the others. ICs 1,2,3,4,13 and 14 on the driver board I beleive.

Andy

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from phlegmer:

What specifically should I be seeing on my Wittig OsziFox scope? Haven't really used scopes that much.
Thanks

Just looked back at your base note and unfortunately you had already replaced every active component in that chain.

http://www.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp

Section 3.4.10 is some very useful information with regard to blanking. And he even uses your Wittig.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

I know this widens the scope of the search but is it possible that any or all of the components that the blanking signal is fed to has a problem and this could be pulling it low?
OP try feeling all the chips that take the blanking circuit and see if any are running warmer than the others. ICs 1,2,3,4,13 and 14 on the driver board I beleive.
Andy

Interesting I'll check that out when I can. I do have an IR temp gauge, now I can finally put it to use.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Just looked back at your base note and unfortunately you had already replaced every active component in that chain.
http://www.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp
Section 3.4.10 is some very useful information with regard to blanking. And he even uses your Wittig.

Yeah, I've been following the part about blanking circuit on that page but haven't looked too closely at the scope examples. Can't seem to carve out time on my short evenings lately to wrap this up.

Quoted from phlegmer:

"If your game seems to be booting properly with the Game ROMs however you're not getting a plus on pin 4 of IC18 (the PIA that drives the blanking signal), check the outputs of IC25 (a 4020). If the interrupt signal is not being generated at the correct speed, then IC18 will not generate the required "pulse"."

A couple things about this from the guide. It doesn't specify what are the outputs of IC25. Do I check all the pins? What is the correct speed that it mentions? How does the correct speed look on a scope? Should IC25 be another replacement candidate?

If I'm understanding Blanking...it should either be ~5vdc or ~0vdc. 5v meaning everything is ok and move on to play. But in my case, it acts like all is well but somewhere along the line, the voltage is getting pulled down a little too much.

I have acquired another MPU and Driver board from a buddy of mine to maybe help in troubleshooting. I'll need to look more closely at them to see what kind of state they are in. They have been loose in his inventory for a while. I was thinking to first put in a different Driver board to definitively eliminate the Driver board.

Thanks

3 weeks later
#13 10 years ago

Got distracted with other squirrels but managed to carve out a little time tonight.

Changed out the crystal (boy are the new ones tiny compared to the old ones), no change.

I was able to borrow another driver board from a friend. Mated the MPU and the loaned driver board, BINGO! I now have 4.72v compared to the 3.3v. The issue must be with my driver board. As mentioned before, the interboard connectors have been replaced. I re-inspected the soldering and they all appear nice, shiny and solid.

Now that we know that something is pulling my driver board down ~1.5v, suggestions what to interrogate first?

Thanks

#14 10 years ago

1. Although the solder job looks OK on the interconnection, maybe you should check it further using a meter and determine if there is perhaps a small short to another pin.
2. As you examine the circuit schematic for the driver board you can see where the blanking signal is distributed. You either have a short associated with a recent or past chip change or a chip sucking down your blanking. So you do an examination following the blanking path.
3. Then if all that fails, you have to go chip by chip, using a ohm measurement, cutting the chip leg and determining if you have a reduction in resistance. Or in the case of sockets, bending out the leg getting the blanking signal.

Most likely are repairs made to the board such as the replacement of the 40 pin interconnect and any other chips replaced that are associated with the blanking circuit.

3 months later
#15 10 years ago

OK, I think I may have FINALLY found something of interesting. One of the first things I did a long time ago when upgrading the components of my driver board was to install a blanking signal LED. This was advised on Clay's guide by taking an LED along with a 1/4w 150ohm resistor and placing it between interconnect pin 37 and ground. (Even has a nice pic as to where he soldered his.) The thought is when there is a blanking signal one can easily, at a glance, see if it is up. One evening I had a thought and decided to see what would happen if I de-solder the blanking LED. Metered out the signal, wow! It's actually super close to 5v now!

I took the same LED and soldered it onto my buddy's driver board. Same exact symptom. The blanking signal was pulled down to a hair above 3v. I metered out the resistor and it is almost spot on 150ohm. I then snagged a different LED, even a different color, the same exact symptom. Down to around 3v.

I guess I could live without the blanking LED but now I'm more curious as to why this simple mod advised by Clay's guide would do this. The LED does light up and as far as I know, resistors are not polarized.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#16 10 years ago

The blanking LED mod is one i do often(when i have a driver board issue) with no trouble. Are you sure the right resistor was used?

#17 10 years ago

I just tried a 3rd totally different LED (larger orange) along with a different 150ohm resistor (brown-green-black-black-brown), same issue. LED's do have polarity and wouldn't light up if installed backwards.

Those of you who have this mod installed, can you do a quick test on TP4 and see what voltage is showing up? If the voltage still holds strong near 5v, perhaps there is something a bit weak on the board's power supply circuit?

Thanks

#18 10 years ago

It is always right at 5v. The load from an LED is so minimal it should not drop the voltage at all. Perhaps you have a component in the blanking section of the MPU that is weak.

#19 10 years ago

Most likely the power circuit is ok since I do get an equal voltage on TP9 to that of what my bench power supply puts out (~4.82v). I did a little poking around the blanking circuit and not sure if what I found helps in troubleshooting. IC23 (LM555 Timer) does keep consistent voltage on pin 8, which is the +VCC (~4.82v), when I apply the LED. However pins 7 and 3, which both appear to go to TP4, do fluctuate between 4.78v down to the 3.3v when LED is applied.

I have already replaced the IC23 with a new part as well as installing a SIP socket.

Any other thoughts or places to look?

Thanks

#20 10 years ago

Here is a pic of the blanking LED.

Blank LED.JPGBlank LED.JPG

#21 10 years ago

Got an oscilliscope, so you can check the waveform of the blanking signal? Should be a steady high, but if the capacitors in the timing circuit that generates the blanking start to go bad, it can change it to a pulsed signal, which causes all sorts of wackiness

-Hans

#22 10 years ago

I checked the blanking signal with a scope and it appears to be just a solid line. The the only time I see it change is when I remove the LED, then the line jumps up a tad.

Thanks

photo(1).JPGphoto(1).JPG

#23 10 years ago

Here is a pic of the CPU board just in case there is something visually obvious that I'm missing.

Board.JPGBoard.JPG

#24 10 years ago

Do you still have the other board? Just a thought, but you could get voltage readings in the area of the blanking circuit and compare with your board. that would spot the faulty component pretty quickly I'd imagine.

#25 10 years ago

A buddy of mine did lend me a few boards. Were you referring to the CPU board? Unfortunately, the CPU board that he lent doesn't seem to power up at all. It appears to have gotten some water damage around a small part. The extra driver board does appear to work however.

Thanks

5 months later
#26 10 years ago

It's been a while and I have spare CPU and driver boards to play with. Unfortunately, I'm even more confused than before. Mated the 2 spare boards together, powered it up on the bench and measured header pin 37. Very close to 5v like my boards sans LED. Here is where it boggles my mind. I put on an LED (w/ 150ohm resistor) and took a measurement. I'm getting the same 3.4v that I'm getting on my boards as well?!?!

Could it be possible my spare boards have the exact same issue as mine? Barakandl stated above that he does this mod all the time and always shows 5v. It wouldn't have anything to do that these boards are on the bench and not in the back box (no plugs)?

Seeking advice....

Thanks!

#27 10 years ago

<bump>

#28 10 years ago

Logic would dictate captain that the LED is the issue. Have you tried a different manufacture rather than colour?
I think it's unlikely that the blanking circuit is continually on the brink of failure and the addition of an LED (that is assumed to be working fine) is just enough to tip it over the line.

I've got to be honest with you though Op, after 10 months I'd probably just remove the LED and play the game

#29 9 years ago

Yeah, it would appear it's the LED or combination of LED and resistor. I've also noted that the spare boards don't really boot up correctly on the bench too. The 7 segment LED has a zero and never goes out like it should. Just stays on. The boards are of unknown condition so not surprising. I have tried various sizes of LED's but don't know if they are different brands.

Anyways, I'm in agreement that I'll just have to leave the LED off and toss this into the unsolved mysteries bin, move on, and play some pinball.

Perhaps someone in a few years will have a similar issue and dig up this cold case....hopefully have better luck.

Thanks all!

#30 9 years ago

Maybe the chip sinking or sourcing the 20ma for the LED cannot handle that much current. Don't most chips like PIAs max out at a few milliamps?

#31 9 years ago

It is driven by P9/P13 of the 556 timer. I just reviewed the datasheet and i don't really see any listing for that output current, so not sure what the limits are. I would assume a 556 is much more robust then a PIA though.

I have done this mod countless times with no trouble. I use a real basic 3mm green or red LED that are rated at 20mA. The resistor i use is pretty low rated. I think usually like 100-200 ohms.

#32 9 years ago

The 555/556 timer can sink or source 200 ma -- so no problem there -- unless he has a really really bright LED

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

The 555/556 timer can sink or source 200 ma -- so no problem there -- unless he has a really really bright LED

So something is limiting the input current then? Poor soldering somewhere? Wrong resistor value? Cap out of spec.

hard to say.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

Not always. It depends on the specific timer that was used. Some have low current outputs such as the LMC555 and LMC556 - CMOS versions of the timers. These will work identically to the original timers (use same caps, resistors, etc) but have low output. These low power timers are intended to only drive other logic and not high current loads such as that 20mA LED. What is the specific part number on the timer used?

Also, a 150ohm resistor is an awful small resistor to use. I would go with something like a 560 ohm resistor for a 5mA load instead -- you won't notice much of a difference in brightness but will reduce the current load to 25%.

Ed

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Not always. It depends on the specific timer that was used. Some have low current outputs such as the LMC555 and LMC556 - CMOS versions of the timers. These will work identically to the original timers (use same caps, resistors, etc) but have low output. These low power timers are intended to only drive other logic and not high current loads such as that 20mA LED. What is the specific part number on the timer used?
Also, a 150ohm resistor is an awful small resistor to use. I would go with something like a 560 ohm resistor for a 5mA load instead -- you won't notice much of a difference in brightness but will reduce the current load to 25%.
Ed

Sounds like the OP replaced this timer IC(which i cant remember ever replacing)... Perhaps replacement used can't drive an LED.

#36 9 years ago

Whoa! Glad I refreshed this tab before closing! I guess I never thought about using higher rated resistor. I'll see if I have some in my inventory and give that a try.

Thanks!

#37 9 years ago

Only had a chance to look for a replacement resistor last night. The closest thing I have is 470 ohm or 2.2k ohm. Will give them a try when I get a chance. The timer IC I installed is a LM555CN. If I recall, this issue I'm having is the reason I had swapped it in the first place.

Stay tuned.....

#38 9 years ago

There's your problem. The datasheet says the supply current for that chip is 15ma MAX. Try a 1K resistor to get that current down, and see if the LED still lights (2.2k might be too big, but you could try it, or the 470 might be enough).

#39 9 years ago

LED should still be bright enough with a 1k resistor. I don't know if that would put you under 15ma though. With that type of 556 installed i would not use that LED mod. You don't really want to push the top end limits on components.

#40 9 years ago

Tried first with the 470 ohm. This time the blanking signal was maybe a .1v higher than before. Tried the 2.2k ohm, another .1 - .2v higher than the original 150 ohm. With the 2.2k, the LED is pretty dim.

I did manage to get the loaner boards to boot up now and tried the same thing with it's blanking signal. I'm getting the same results. IC23 on the loaner is NE555P. It's really looking like its my batch of LED's since I'm getting the same results on both boards. The LED's I'm using are from a Radio Shack assortment pack and it doesn't give any MA specs. The size I'm using is the same size as the 2 next to the 7 segment LED. (3mm perhaps). I do have a pack of 5mm reds that are not from Radio Shack and they are rated for 100ma. I'll poke around some more to see if I have any non-Radio Shack 3mm LED's laying around....

Thanks!

#41 9 years ago

National Semiconductor LM555CN's (now Texas Instruments) can theoretically drive 200mA at the outputs. So can same part number from Fairchild Semiconductor and GE/RCA/Harris. NE555P - same. Add in a 4.7K pullup resistor which also adds to the output drive capability.

A 560 ohm resistor will cause about a 5.5mA load for a red LED: (5V - 1.9V) / 560 = 5.5mA.
A 560 ohm resistor will cause about a 5.2mA load for a green LED: (5V - 2.1V) / 560 = 5.17mA.
Both of these are way below the 200mA limit.
This drives the LED at quarter power yet still plenty bright... but going below that will cause the LED to drop off in brightness quickly. I doubt the LED's you have are the problem -- an LED that works with a worst case zero forward voltage drop (impossible) -- would be 5/560 or 9mA -- still way within limits.

There is something else in that circuit causing the problem. Does the 555 have a good solder joint connection on his power and ground pins? Is the 555's power pin staying at 5V when driving the LED? Something else in the circuit loading down the 555 and that small LED load just happens to tip the scale over?

#42 9 years ago

well there's your problem, the RS mulit-pack.
These radio shack packs come about in a strange way. often they are manufacturer rejects. like some bum sweeps them off the floor, sells them at a huge discount to RS, and then they bubble pack them for the stores. Go buy some reason LEDs from another source please.

1 week later
#43 9 years ago

Found another LED from a buddy that is not RS and is even smaller than the one I had. Doesn't have the specs on the LED so the draw is unknown. Same thing.

Brought the boards over and installed in the machine. It plays as long as there is no LED on the blanking signal so I guess I'll just leave it off.

Unsolved Mystery.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1,059.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-blanking-circuit-sys7-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.