(Topic ID: 93934)

tech: Bally Fathom: Top Saucer ball won't release (solved!)

By mof

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have an interesting problem on my Fathom. I can't release the ball from the TOP lagoon saucer using the six drop targets on LEFT.

1) Do I have the game play rules correct here?

Good Situation:
Lock top ball. Three blue targets rise. Knock those 3 blue targets down. Ball is released. Good.

Bad Situation:
Re-lock the TOP ball again during multiball. Knock down all 3 blue targets on left. Ball is not released. Bad.

Notes:
1) Is there any set of dipswitch settings that could cause this?
2) Why is it that I can drop all six targets on left, then they all reset (this tells me the switch is good to know when the target is down)
3) All 6 targets raise properly when in coil test or game play.
4) Since Top Saucer ejects well when you drop the top 3 blues, we know the saucer switch and eject are good
5) New alltek CPU in there, so expecting a perfect CPU experience. Had the same behavior with an old board in there.

Thanks for the ideas and troubleshooting tips!
-mof

#2 9 years ago

Hopefully, (this time) I have a correct understanding of how this should work.
-mof

#3 9 years ago

When locking the ball the first time and the inline targets are reset, does hitting the 3 green targets on the left knock down one of the inline targets?

#4 9 years ago

They each release independently. You have to work to release them both.

#5 9 years ago

Here's another clue...

During multiball, when I re-lock the TOP saucer ball, when I knock down the three blue targets on LEFT, I can see and hear Fathom trying to drop the ALREADY dropped middle blue target. By comparison, if I re-lock the RIGHT ball, and then knock down the three green targets, it snaps off the eject in the saucer quickly.

-mof

#6 9 years ago

I'd say one of the inline drops is not registering.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I can see and hear Fathom trying to drop the ALREADY dropped middle blue target.

Go into switch test and test each of the inline drop targets. You'll have to manually reset the bank between targets (and remove the balls). It sounds like one of the switch on your middle drop target isn't working.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

I'd say one of the inline drops is not registering.

Correct. This will be an easy fix. Only #42 is registering, so the other two were never registering, I only thought they were since #42 works, and the ball would be released after 42 went down the first time.

Thank you!
-mof

#9 9 years ago

Solved! Thanks for the help. Another easy one licked.

1. Took pictures with cell phone camera of the area
2. Pressed down with thumb into the two switches (can't see them with playfield in upright position)
3. cleaned contacts with dollar bill
4. ran switch test

It's good to know I can finally adjust switches properly that I cannot see =)

-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bally-fathom-ball-wont-release and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.