Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

When I go into "Portals -> Diagnostics -> Technician Alerts", my machine always reports that everything is fine. I know that some switches have been problematic, however. The left ramp (treehouse) entry gate switch was unplugged for the first two months I owned the machine but was never reported as a problem. I also recently (accidentally) caused the Itchy and Scratchy drop targets switches to never close, but everything was still reported as OK in the Tech Alert menu.

Any ideas? Does anyone's work correctly? I'm on ROM 5.00.

Thanks,
Tom

#2 11 years ago

I just found some relevant bits on the ROM changelog on Stern's website. http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sppROMreadme.txt

Version 2.04 made the following change:

Tech Alert removed. Now your game just magically works all the time.

Later, version 3.00 made the following change:

Added Standard Adjustment 49 - Show Tech Alert. Default for now is NEVER. This adjustment controls where/when the Tech Alert message will pop up: POWERUP shows the message after booting and before games can be started; COIN DOOR OPEN shows the message when the coin door opens up; POWERUP AND COIN DOOR for both of the above; NEVER will never show Tech Alert Alert.

This leaves me more confused about whether or not this should work. Can anyone please provide some input!

#3 11 years ago

IMO - this has nothing to do with your problem.

This is a setting on the machine telling you have a problem with out trying to find one. Such as if you open your coin door it could be set to tell you have a problem or not, same thing with power up.

The other question I would have is are your other audits / setting staying - or are your batteries weak so that game does not know that you have a problem.

#4 11 years ago

My other audits, settings, and high scores are good.

#5 11 years ago

So the default on adjustment 49 is never - so unless you went looking for a problem it would not tell you you had one. So I am assuming you fixed your switch error on both items, so once again it would not inform you that one existed.

#6 11 years ago

I changed adjustment 49 to 'coin door open', thinking it would tell me when there were tech alerts when I open the coin door. That never happens because there are never any tech alerts...

I go into "Portals -> Diagnostics -> Technician Alerts" all the time thinking it might have something to report, but it never does.

I put up with it when I knew that one gate switch wasn't working, but after I accidentally prevented all three drop target switches from working and it still couldn't figure it out, I decided to try to get help.

#7 11 years ago

Understood good luck - I am out of simple ideas

#8 11 years ago

Tech alerts aren't really something you should be looking for. For a couple of reasons. First, many games, including TSPP 5.0 rarely get them. I had one and never got a tech alert. Secondly, when it is implemented, it can often report problems incorrectly. On my Ripley's, I'm running older software intentionally. The version I'm running incorrectly reports errors. It was fixed in a later version:

Changes from CPU v3.02
- Removed erroneous broken switch messages from Tech Alert.

Because the older software has things not available in later software, I just ignore the tech alerts.

Credit dots and tech alerts have never been foolproof. They're not a good diagnostic tool. Better to just play the game and run tests yourself. Because of the nature of pinball machines (electromechanical nightmares), self diagnostic software will never be 100% accurate. They could throw money at it and improve it significantly, but that would cost money and people are already unhappy with NIB prices these days.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts, phishrace! I know false positives are inevitable. But... when one of my switches was disconnected for a couple of months, I expected the tech alert to catch it.

I have a CFTBL, and one of the center standups (ice cream) occasionally causes a credit dot. It cracks me up because it's right in the middle of the playfield, but you aren't likely to hit it, even on missed shots. As soon as the dot appears, I can usually aim right for that target and the dot goes away. In my mind, that's exactly how the tech alert should work.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from mot:

I have a CFTBL, and one of the center standups (ice cream) occasionally causes a credit dot. It cracks me up because it's right in the middle of the playfield, but you aren't likely to hit it, even on missed shots. As soon as the dot appears, I can usually aim right for that target and the dot goes away. In my mind, that's exactly how the tech alert should work.

That's a good example of why credit dots didn't work. They would come up sometimes just because a switch wasn't hit in a long time. The dot would give location players the impression that the game wasn't working properly, when in reality no one any good had played the game for a while. All things being equal, a player is always going to put money in a game without a credit dot over a game with one.

The only location game I ever expect to see a credit dot on is TZ, because of the factory-flaky clock. Any other credit dot on location raises suspicion.

#11 11 years ago

I agree, but if I didn't have super low standards for pinball on location, I don't think I'd ever play. I've played exactly one game with no credit dot on location and it was a Fish Tales with the sound off. Grrr...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-alerts-not-working-on-tspp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.