(Topic ID: 85390)

The Big Lebowski Playfield Layout...discuss?

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,405 posts
  • 218 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

marmot.JPG
TBL_Rug2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Geerts Balls.JPG
TBL J.JPG
kahlua_kamora.png
giphy.gif
playfieldPopulated1.png.jpeg
playfieldPopulated2.png.jpeg
2014-09-22 newRail.png
TBL_Rug.jpg
image-189.jpg
nails-1.jpg
image-413.jpg
bowling_01.png
dude.jpg
There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.
#1 10 years ago

My take on the playfield.

Right shooter lane looks to have a ramp similar to TAF, there may be a skill shot, VUK, diverter, and/or orbit at the end of the shooting lane (numbered 10) but you can’t tell based on the picture.
Looks like there are 3 flippers. Two on the main playfield and one in the upper
Lower playfield like AC/DC or some type of LCD mounted below like PMD’s Creature mod (numbered 6)
Kick back on Left Outlane (number 7)
Left Ramp looks like it will have a diverter, either going into Box 1 or the left wireform bringing you into the left side Box 4, then, dropping into left inlane. Rear left box (number 1) looks like it may have interaction with wire form coming through it as well as the ramp entering from above.
Upper Playfield with one flipper looks like it could be used for bashing bowling balls, maybe bashing up the car, I have no idea whats going on with Box number 2, but its fed from the ramp and looks like it may even be elevated. Is that a drop wire form on the bottom of the upper right Box numbered 11? If so, this game will be stacked high with the exit from the upper right Box number 2 is a drop to the upper playfield.
From the pop bumpers it looks like there is one exit behind the ramp. However, it looks like there is a box under the ramp. (Number 11) Maybe an entry to a lower playfield?
Directly under the upper playfield to the right of Box3 is a lane that looks like it ties into the wireform running around the back of the playfield. Also, it looks like there is a scoop to the left of Box 3.
There is a lane under Box 4 that may have a VUK to bring the ball up into the wire form above. Or this box may be used as the bridge, where when you come down that wireform, you throw the bag from the bridge. 4-8
Wheres the rug man?

tbl playfield 2.jpgtbl playfield 2.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I got the email, but the picture wouldn't load for me. So I thought, I've had this email for like 2 minutes, I'm sure someone posted it on pinside already.

Looking good.

#3 10 years ago

TBL = the big lebowski?

you might want to mention that since it's not an acronym that's recognized here on pinside

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

it's not an acronym that's recognized here on pinside

Yeah, well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#5 10 years ago

Tbl has been used for over a year now on pinside.

#6 10 years ago

What else was mentioned in the email from Dutch Pinball? Anything? Any other game details?

#7 10 years ago

Very encouraging layout. I like the Whitewater-like upper playfield, multipurpose ramps, etc.

#8 10 years ago

Says:
1. They are waiting on approval for art work.
2. This is the tentative playfield
3. They are prototyping playfield toys with 3d printers.

#10 10 years ago

what if item 6 was bowling alley kind of thing?

#11 10 years ago

and wtf is box 3? some kind of hinged panel?

#12 10 years ago

My guess would be Box 3 is a bowling toy of some sort, probably drop target/lowering bank style. Very central to the theme and a nice straight shot fits for the bowling. Maybe it feeds that wireform coming out of the center back? It also seems like the ramp shot on the upper playfield must go up into area 2, since otherwise I don't see how the stacking works there. There have been simpler / more compact versions of that plunger lane going into the ramp design, so maybe that will get some revision.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Maybe it feeds that wireform coming out of the center back?

I see what you are saying...there are two lanes that are under the upper playfield where the upper playfield ball drain is. I was thinking that one of those lanes feeds that wireform.

Quoted from ecurtz:

It also seems like the ramp shot on the upper playfield must go up into area 2, since otherwise I don't see how the stacking works there. There have been simpler / more compact versions of that plunger lane going into the ramp design, so maybe that will get some revision.

I think you are right on. It loops up and then might come out at box 11.

#14 10 years ago

The upper right looks similar to WH20 and the center mystery spot looks similar to CFTBL.......

#15 10 years ago

There has to be a rug right where number 6 is, to really tie the playfield together.

#16 10 years ago

Isn't that a flipper between 4 and 9?

Edit: maybe not - doesn't seem to have the same rubber outline as the others, and not sure there's much to shoot for besides that right ramp.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

My guess would be Box 3 is a bowling toy of some sort, probably drop target/lowering bank style. Very central to the theme and a nice straight shot fits for the bowling.

That had me thinking. what if it was where you hit the pins like in a puck bowler? Once all the pins are up, it opens up a subway shot like in JD.

#18 10 years ago

Thinking that the upper right side might represent the bowling alley in its entirety.

Then again, the left ramp looks like a bit like bowling lane.... hmmm

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Edit: maybe not - doesn't seem to have the same rubber outline as the others, and not sure there's much to shoot for besides that right ramp.

I'd think so,
to hit that ramp on the right...
My count, four flippers total.

I like the bowling ball pops.
Making 1 the bowling pins

Man I like what's been shown so far

#21 10 years ago

#2 is just blanked out....so it could be anything. Rather than thinking that the ball goes into box 2, maybe thats another playfield or something else where the player can still interact with the ball. (maybe magnets or a controllable target like in the Shadow)

#22 10 years ago

someone MUST photoshop some artwork on this playfield

#23 10 years ago

#2 sort of looks like the shape of jackie treehorns house perched above the beach to me. or at least, in my dreams about the game that's what it should be

Since they are making a real rug for all us pre-order people (last months announcement) then the rug doesn't need to be #6.. would rather that be lower playfield. Plus it's not a rectangle.

and kudos for releasing their playfield concepts early! it shouldn't be the last thing to reveal.. even if there's a lot of changes (get to see the evolution)

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

someone MUST photoshop some artwork on this playfield

+1 on that!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I'd think so,

If that is an upper flipper on the left, I don't think it could shoot a ball into that ramp on the right.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Pdxmonkey said:
I'd think so,

If that is an upper flipper on the left, I don't think it could shoot a ball into that ramp on the right.

I agree with both of you. That does not look like a visible flipper to me but I have to think there is one somewhere, otherwise that ramp entrance shot on the right will be nearly impossible from the lower left flipper.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

hummm....and as for number 5...maybe thats the Maude's vagina shot?

From the whitewood pic it looks like number 5 will have a ball guide that feeds the right inlane. The big mystery is how the ball will enter. Looks like an opening at the top but how will the ball get there?

EDIT: On second glance, maybe those are just post holes.

photo1.jpgphoto1.jpg

#28 10 years ago

The wireform to the right of number 2 almost looks like a ball drop to me. Maybe feeds a subway or the lower playfield.
Gotta believe number 6 is a lower playfield. It wouldn't make sense, otherwise. If it were a video display of some kind, it would be too much of a ripoff of CFTBL and it would make more sense if it were a rectangle.

Here is a larger image from the newsletter:

TBL_Playfield_DRAFT.jpgTBL_Playfield_DRAFT.jpg

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Gotta believe number 6 is a lower playfield. It wouldn't make sense, otherwise. If it were a video display of some kind, it would be too much of a ripoff of CFTBL and it would make more sense if it were a rectangle.

Gotta agree. I don't think these guys are skimping on anything. With the pricing of the game, and what appears their intent on becoming a real player in pinball design and build, I would assume they are pulling out all the stops with their first game.

#30 10 years ago

Very excited for you guys. This like a really cool layout.

#31 10 years ago

on box 5...looks like there will be a bank of targets, (you can see the cut in line on the whitewood)...but also an inlane from the shooter lane, (like in TAF, swamp from plunger, or TZ, Rocket launcher from plunger)

#32 10 years ago

We're all assuming that there's no inserts because this is just to see how it plays / adjust things right? unless #6 really is a display but you can't/shouldn't do everything with a display.

#33 10 years ago

just pictured maude on a zip line going from 1 to 5 ... hah..

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

on box 5...looks like there will be a bank of targets, (you can see the cut in line on the whitewood)...but also an inlane from the shooter lane, (like in TAF, swamp from plunger, or TZ, Rocket launcher from plunger)

I thought swamp there too. I am guessing 4 might be a physical ball lock with a single target underneath.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

We're all assuming that there's no inserts because this is just to see how it plays / adjust things right? unless #6 really is a display but you can't/shouldn't do everything with a display.

Yeah. I am guessing inserts in the blank areas of the playfield rendering.

#36 10 years ago

Any thoughts on box number 1? Looks to have two entrances and 1 exit or maybe it is the other way round?

#37 10 years ago

can't forget the Jesus!

tbl playfield jesus.jpgtbl playfield jesus.jpg
#38 10 years ago

OK, normally, we at Dutch Pinball try to stay away from posts on Pinside, but Barry and I were just talking about all these positive comments, and all your messages of encouragement, I just wanted to say...

Stop it. You guys are freaking us out. Where's the cynicism, doubt and malcontent that we've all come to know and love on Pinside?

Actually, thanks. We mean that. And check your inboxes later this week. New shit will come to light.

---

Take it easy, Dude -- I know that you will,

Phil

#39 10 years ago

Phil, Barry and the rest of DP -> it all looks very promising!

Thanks

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Phil, Barry and the rest of DP -> it all looks very promising!
Thanks

Was wondering where you were Hensbrook...

#41 10 years ago

I think it will be hard to clearcoat carpet.

#42 10 years ago

could the ball kick back number 7 be powerfull enough to shoot the ball back up into one of the right ramps/lanes feeding up to 10?

#43 10 years ago

I really wish I could afford to be in on this. I hope I get to play one at least. The layout looks great so far!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Phil-DP-USA:

OK, normally, we at Dutch Pinball try to stay away from posts on Pinside, but Barry and I were just talking about all these positive comments, and all your messages of encouragement, I just wanted to say...
Stop it. You guys are freaking us out. Where's the cynicism, doubt and malcontent that we've all come to know and love on Pinside?
Actually, thanks. We mean that. And check your inboxes later this week. New shit will come to light.
---
Phil

Well I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, as the fella says, but this looks pretty good...keep up the good work

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

could the ball kick back number 7 be powerfull enough to shoot the ball back up into one of the right ramps/lanes feeding up to 10?

Don't see why not, that would be a hell of a way to get to the uppermost playfield. Maybe you will have to complete a mode or series of shots to enable the kickback and then drain to the left outlane to reach 10.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Phil-DP-USA:

---
Phil

Don't worry, when you actually provide more details it will come. Now is phase #2 of botique pinball process where everyone is happy at the idea of a new game with a great theme. Many have already forgotten your viral marketing attempt just to measure interest and over hype way too early.

You are now happily in the honeymoon design phase where we all sit in wonder and praise at another new game. Once the details come to the surface then some will start to complain that you aren't doing it 'right'. Soon enough you will miss a few deadlines and the anger in some will grow. Eventually more $ wil be in and people will start to expect more and lose patience.

Have faith, pinside will deliver on the cynacism. Especially when you show up to paint with a broad brush and bash.

Ona more serious note >>
Game is a cool looking outline but can;t see much. First impression is that appears to be the most boring upper pf in existence. Excited to see what develops.

#47 10 years ago

See the bowling alley background in the newsletter? As mentioned in the suggestion thread, that's what I want the back box to look like (might have to replace the Brunswick logo). A simple geometric design in the Lebowski alley colors hiding the speakers, and the DMD or LCD underneath in the location of the pins...

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

See the bowling alley background in the newsletter? As mentioned in the suggestion thread, that's what I want the back box to look like (might have to replace the Brunswick logo). A simple geometric design in the Lebowski alley colors hiding the speakers, and the DMD or LCD underneath in the location of the pins...

Well if DP have shown us anything, it is that they can make stuff look good and have an attention to detail. I fully expect the art package to be top notch!

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

It's clearly Bunny's toe

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

can't forget the Jesus!

tbl playfield jesus.jpg 56 KB

You said it, man!

Playfield looks very promising!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 210.00
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.