(Topic ID: 40654)

System One problems with Janin board or not....

By Djude

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Bemanise
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey Everybody,

I am an electronic noob. I recently added a Gottlieb System One Countdown to my collection. When I first purchased it, the Yellow target reset coil did not seem to have enough energy to reset the targets all the way. I jumpered it to another target reset coil and it worked fine. I tried a couple of different things to try and trace it, ie fuses, resolder, check diodes. etc. not sure if I did everything correctly, but after no luck with the individual coil I tried tracing the problem back to the power supply, and only succeeded in trashing my power board in the head.
I got online to find a replacement board, and stumbled upon Pascal Janin's PI 1x4 all in one board.

I liked all of the modifications that it offered, and also that fact that it was all in one, so I wouldn't have to deal with all the other boards as well if my initial coil problems were coming from one of the other boards.

I ordered the board installed it, and then not only did the coil still seem weak but now the game over relay and the yellow target relay stick on all the time as soon as a game is started. I went ahead and ordered a new coil to replace the target reset coil. I installed it, but now at game start it doesn't do anything, and the blue reset coil sticks on with the game over relay. I didn't realize this was happening right away, and ended up frying the the blue target reset coil.

I am thoroughly confused at this point, and am really hoping there is someone out there that would be willing to help walk me through this. Pascal has been very nice to answer my emails, but clearly he is on another level when it comes to telling me what to do. I really don't know if I am looking in the right direction when I try to track down the problems.

Any advice outside of "throw the machine away" would be very appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

#2 11 years ago

Have you re-pinned every connector??
If not do that, than come back. This is basically manditory for all system ones.
A new board is no good if the connectors are wasted.

#3 11 years ago

oh, and check for a shorted aux. under playfield transistor if that game has one.
A new board isn't going to correct that.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks Pinfarmer. I guess I wasn't considering every connector because it has worked well except for this one switch, I agree that these could be the issue, but, is it possible to narrow it down to a certain set of connectors??

Also can you explain what you mean by shorted aux, under playfield transistor?
Thanks again for taking the time.

1 week later
#5 11 years ago

Dan,

See follow up post I presented with more information here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-countdown-drop-target-reset-issues

Mike O.
Team-EM

3 months later
#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

Thanks Pinfarmer. I guess I wasn't considering every connector because it has worked well except for this one switch, I agree that these could be the issue, but, is it possible to narrow it down to a certain set of connectors??
Also can you explain what you mean by shorted aux, under playfield transistor?
Thanks again for taking the time.

Hey Djude, just curious what ended up happening with this issue? Did you find the solution? I have a Count-Down too and was just looking around the forum, came across this thread and was curious of your outcome and solution.

1 year later
#7 9 years ago

Hey Nifty,

I got called away and had to ignore Count Down for awhile. I'm back at it and am looking to re-pin my machine now. Since supposedly everyone that has a Sys 1 has had to re-pin it, I was kind of hoping someone could tell me what parts I need to order to accomplish this. i.e., what part numbers are needed etc.

How about you? what have you found out so far?

1 week later
#8 9 years ago

You will need parts from this or other places:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=80

1. Get some of the -0134 and -0072 pins for most of the work for the board edge connectors. You will need both sizes to fit to the two different wire sizes you will encounter.

2. Get one of the -1919 crimpers

3. Get the -0016 pin extraction tool. You need this to remove the existing pins from the connectors and you reuse the connector bodies so don't destroy them getting the pins out.

4. If you plan to repin the power supply connectors I would get some of the -0113 and -0125 pins also. The originals are the same as the -0134 and -0072 pins above but the -0113/-0125 trifurcon pins are more reliable. If this game is all you have to address the -0134/-0072 pins could do you for all the boards.

3 weeks later
#9 9 years ago

Hi Folks- I too am a newbie with a Counterforce. I have a Janin 80 Board, which continually gives me an ERR=1 message for coils 1,2,5 and 9. The Janin manual says this means current is flowing through the coils when it shouldn't be. I cut the diodes and measured the diodes and coils. All values were within normal limits(this was the suggestion in the Janin manual). I am at a loss as to what to try next.

I have not repinned, nor have I tested the underplayfield transistor(what measure am I looking for). My playfield lights are completely out as well. I don't see any loose or corroded wires anywhere. I have replaced most of the other coils and all of the fuses in the machine.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would suggest my next move!!!! Thank you. Bruce M.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-one-problems-with-janin-board-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.