Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CraigJam
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Okay so I've had some help from Chris Hibler on this and I don't totally want to keep flooding his inbox. I'm finding the schematic a little confusing and just when I figure something out, it turns out the problem is deeper.

My initial problem:
Game: Monte Carlo
Problem: Left ramp coil stuck up (raises ramp for roll-under) upon turning on machine
What is done: Ground mods (minus under cabinet ground to transformer case which I will do soon), new rottendog power driver board

What I did: Tested under playfield transistor (q5 - 2n5879) and replaced it.
Outcome: I can now turn on the game without the coil firing right up.

Problem now:
Problem: When I hit the start button, the coil locks up.
What I did: Started looking at the driver for the under playfield transistor. Tested fine.
I started looking at the normally closed EOS switch that the ramp opens when the coil
is energized. I tried cleaning it off and adjusting. When I turned on the machine the coil didn't lock
but I did hear buzzing (I couldn't tell if it was from that coil or not). I also noticed that relay coil A and
B were locked. Blew fuse for ramp coil.

Questions: - I'm sure I need to replace that switch. Any other areas of concern? I have also ordered a
replacement driver board to mpu cable.
- Also wondering how that ramp coil is activated. Do you have to shoot 2 of the holes that spin
the roulette wheel and then the left ramp to raise the ramp? Or should it be activated anytime
you shoot the left ramp?

Thanks and sorry so long.

#2 10 years ago

I'm guessing all connectors should be looked at as well.

#3 10 years ago

Just noticed the previous owner did ground to the transformer case. Hoping it's the switch or cable from mpu to power driver :/

5 years later
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

Just noticed the previous owner did ground to the transformer case. Hoping it's the switch or cable from mpu to power driver :/

This is an old post, but I am having an identical issue with my Big House ramp. Blowing the same fuse as well. Do you remember what your final solution was?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigJam:

This is an old post, but I am having an identical issue with my Big House ramp. Blowing the same fuse as well. Do you remember what your final solution was?

Did you check the transistor under the playfield that controls the coil?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I have not. I replaced the driver board and assumed it was controlled by that. I will check tonight. Thanks for your help!

1 week later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I checked transistor and it reads in the .40 range which is a little lower than a new replacement I have. It is not the model type listed in the schematics from my manual. Any suggestion other than the transistor? I have heard of some coils coming on when the game is started due to missing signals from the MPU. I replaced the Molex connectors. It also blows the fuse for “Ramp” every time.

#8 4 years ago

It’s pointing to a power supply issue,Is the power supply in the backbox in good shape?Any signs of hacks?

#9 4 years ago

I replaced the power supply with a new one from weebly. I also did some further tinkering and realized I have the following situation at startup:

Solenoids lock on at power on
“Hole” “Left Shooter” possibly others because some were cut out by the previous owner during troubleshooting.

All on same return from A1 control board.

All on same connector to A3 board “A3J4”.

All are used in multiball related situations.

Brand new driver board has been installed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-stuck-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.