(Topic ID: 16954)

System 7 MPU unstable

By Spudgunman

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So I have a BK, it has a problem where it locks up in attract mode, a solenoid will kick then it locks.. on reboot it will sometimes blow the solenoid fuse.

a power cycle normally fixes and sometimes it wont...

sound works all the time, I can diagnose and it plays sounds like it should, till reboot.
+12 +5 look ok from the power supply, checked on testpoint TP1 and TP9 for +12,+5 respectively

I pulled the MPU, hooked up to my bench power 5v and booted the board up.. jumpered the (test points)TP8-TP8 to simulate the reset circuit ...

here is where things get wacky... about 10% of the time the board will reset with no issues, '0' on boot... jumper TP8-TP9 '0' clears out and everything good. I can hit diagnostic and things all good (all good = nothing on LCD and nothing on LED)

about 85% of the time I get a 0 for CPU lock, I then need to reset MPU and try again... (remember I am bypassing the reset-circuit and jumpering test points TP8-TP9 using nothing but 5v clean from a trusted source)

sometimes it will throw a random number error about 5% of the time

so any help would be awesome

#2 11 years ago

I did hook a scope up to TP6 and it looks ok and TP5 looks ok (I see oscillating signal)

If I hook 12v up the TP8 goes High quickly (faster then the documented 1second) but I also did this by hand jumping the 9-8 and no difference in success rate

is My IC1 faulty... do they die?

#3 11 years ago

i did just check pins 38,39 of the cpu and see nothing interesting when viewing on a scope. the variation of the signal could just be static for all its worth.. I expected to see a 1.5-3v dip in the oscillation?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-mpu-unstable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.